• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Neymar (Watch)

mistaT

Established Member
Looked around and didn't find any open topics relating to Neymar.

So the latest is that he's signed a contract at Santos through 2014 mere days after some reports about him agreeing to Real Madrid.

Anyone else feel the hype and hoopla is getting a little ridiculous?

By the time he leaves only a few clubs will be able to afford him, and what they end up paying will place such pressure on both parties that I can't see him becoming more than the next Robinho.

Do you buy into the hype? Think he'll actually stay at Santos till the World Cup?

kalleTheMan

Established Member
My prediction is that Neymar will join Real or City, he'll have 1-2 great season(s) in europe and then lose motivation and start party too much. In terms of talent he's propably more complete than any other attacking U-21 player in the world.

Segway

For me, it really says something about him wanting to stay in cozy Brazil rather than having the ambition to want to go to Europe to play with and against the best players in the world in the best competitions. He's a loser. By the sound of it at least.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
He is getting similar hype as Robinho from few years ago. That saga of Robinho to Real had lasted for few seasons and he didn't set the world alight either. We were even linked to a loan deal for him by sending Reyes the other way. Instead we ended up with Baptista.

Neymar looks to follow on the same footsteps and from what I've seen so far of him, he doesn't look any better than neither Robinho nor Pato.

GOONER1991

Established Member
To me Neymar isn't going to become anymore than the next Robinho, and opinion it seems that a lot of people seem to agree with. I don't know what it is, I have no genuine reason for this opinion, however I just get the feeling when watching him, that he is a very talented player, yet I don't see him having the maturity and work ethic to fully reach his potential. I feel that if he does leave Brazil, it will be to a Real/City, who are not the right teams for a young player, they are teams where only the completed article can be a success, and even then success is not guaranteed. Look at Nasri who struggles to get a consistent place at City. If he moves to one of these teams, I dont see them developing him in a way to reach his potential.

viper_001

Established Member
There's only one question regarding his career... will he be the next Robinho or the next Quaresma?

All this talk about being on Ballon D'or short lists, big money transfers, etc at this age is ridiculous. Look at how C-Ronaldo became the player he is, and you'll see that it involved hard work and training under one of the best managers of all time. Neymar is nothing but hype, and the bubble will burst soon.

mistaT

Established Member
viper_001 said:
Neymar is nothing but hype, and the bubble will burst soon.

The bubble will burst once he leaves his Brazilian sanctuary and runs into a couple of hard, pipe-hitting CB's ready (sic) to go to work on the homes here with a pair of pliers and a blow torch.

He's certainly off to La Liga after Brazil, and even there I think he'll struggle to exert himself.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
viper_001 said:
There's only one question regarding his career... will he be the next Robinho or the next Quaresma?

All this talk about being on Ballon D'or short lists, big money transfers, etc at this age is ridiculous. Look at how C-Ronaldo became the player he is, and you'll see that it involved hard work and training under one of the best managers of all time. Neymar is nothing but hype, and the bubble will burst soon.

I agree. I've never seen a guy playing in the Brazilian league this hyped up before. They make him sound like he's the second coming of Pele, but all I've seen is a diving, whining above average dribbler and decent finisher.

His attitude is **** from what I've gathered. I mean just look at his hair for christ sake. No decent person has hair like that, unless it's a joke.

He'll probably make it in Spain as he is currently. But he'd certainly have to change up his game to fit in in the prem. If he can do that, he could become the new C. Ronaldo. If not, hello Turkish league.

1macca1

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think it would benefit him massively if he were to stay in Brazil until after the WC. If he moved to Europe now it seems most are in agreement that he'd probably flop somewhat, but a few more years in Brazil for him to mature and grow physically plus he'd still only be 22 after the WC then I think he could possibly set Europe alight.

I completely disagree with Segway's opinion that he's a 'loser' if he stays in Brazil, he's 19 in an on-the-rise league which has plenty of money, he just got a 50% pay rise, and leading up to WC'14 he would probably benefit by playing in the host country. He has plenty of time on his side to prove himself in Europe.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Segway said:
For me, it really says something about him wanting to stay in cozy Brazil rather than having the ambition to want to go to Europe to play with and against the best players in the world in the best competitions. He's a loser. By the sound of it at least.

Wow.

I'm sorry Segway, but in this day and age of the back stabbing footballing mercenary with no sense of loyalty, that is quite a ****ty outlook you have there.

Not to mention the fact tha he's only 19. Truly shocking post.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
He's phenomenonally good.

I've seen plenty of him. He's up there with Messi and Ronaldo IMO. Breathtaking skill, trickery, speed off the mark, awareness of other players; he's a brilliant passer of the ball. He has the ****ing lot and a bag of chips and would tear the arse out of europes best.

kalleTheMan

Established Member
His dribbling ability is similar to a young Robinho but he got more awareness and a better final-ball delivery.

That said, he will propably never reach the heights of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo or Kaka. Don't think he's talented enough to surpass those former brazilian superstars.

mistaT

Established Member
The Jury said:

Yes.

The Jury said:
I've seen plenty of him. He's up there with Messi and Ronaldo IMO.

Hardly, he's playing in a budget league in which every defender is scared to actually defend him or get physical as they'll receive the nation's wrath.

If he was as good as Messi and Ronaldo he would have a bigger influence on the Brazilian national team which he is yet to do.

The new Robinho, who never turned his talent into the type of consistent product that can be considered world class.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
mistaT said:
The Jury said:

Yes.

The Jury said:
I've seen plenty of him. He's up there with Messi and Ronaldo IMO.

Hardly, he's playing in a budget league in which every defender is scared to actually defend him or get physical as they'll receive the nation's wrath.

I'd be inclined to agree with you there, and it would make sense, if it wasn't only for the fact that I've seen him get lumps smashed out of him on a number of occasions. Those teams in Brazil don't seem to care too much. They have their fans to answer to.

If he was as good as Messi and Ronaldo he would have a bigger influence on the Brazilian national team which he is yet to do.

I know Messi's goal tally would suggest otherwise, but it's common knowledge his performances for Argentina are a long way behind those for Barca. And Neymar, for the record, has 8 goals in just 15 appearances for the senior brazilian team, and looked fantastic every time I've seen him, and he's only 19. Are we talking about the same player here? :?

The new Robinho, who never turned his talent into the type of consistent product that can be considered world class.

What's that supposed to mean?

Stevo the Villan

Established Member
I can only assume a lot of people in this thread haven't seen much of neymar.

He is scarily good.

Obviously the acid test will be whether he can do it when he goes to a big club in a big league.

But if I were a betting man, I'd say he'll be a star.

Vela

Established Member
Barcelona pay initial instalment to seal Neymar deal

As Duncan Castles reported in The National this week, FC Barcelona have paid an initial instalment on Neymar`s planned transfer from Santos. The European champions have paid the South American club – who they defeated in the final of the Club World Cup on Sunday - €10million (£8.4m) in return for an unilateral option to sign the forward at any point until 2014. Barcelona are expected to pay around €60m (£50.4m) should they complete the transfer

Were Santos to renege on the agreement, Barcelona would be entitled to a compensation payment of €20m (£16.8m). Neymar has already agreed personal terms with Barcelona president Sandro Rosell, who used his connections and influence in the South American market to see off competition from Chelsea and Real Madrid for the Brazil international`s signature.

19-year-old Neymar has not been shy in praising Barcelona recently (the Brazilian already enjoys a strong friendship with Dani Alves and Lionel Messi and the trio often engage in online matches of Playstation football) - much to the annoyance of Real Madrid president Florentino Perez, who previously thought he had tied the player down to a pre-contract agreement and chided him in a phone conversation for his public affection for Madrid`s rivals.

Airknight

Established Member
His haircut will be the only memorable thing about him in 20 years, specially if he kills himself joining Real/Barca.

ferrarif50hunt

Established Member
I've said for months that I think he'll be nothing more than another Robinho, nothing I've seen has made me think otherwise.

Arsenal Quotes

I often relive those 49 undefeated matches. I do believe in signs to a certain extent, and as I was born in 1949, I sometimes tell myself it was our destiny to lose the 50th. Those 49 matches are etched within me and within each player: it is something fundamental, a triumph born out of passion.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom