• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Theo Walcott: Sold to Everton

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyMarsh

Established Member
In terms of who is a better CF for us at the moment, I'd say it is Giroud (as bloody frustrating as he is). Theo does not offer much as a CF but he is quite clinical in front of goal.
We don't play a style which works with passengers...Theo is very much a passenger at CF. When he plays from the wing, he absolutely excites me although he can also be frustrating. At the start of 2013/14 season, we were tearing down defences everywhere before the injuries set in... we had Theo, Giroud and Özil at the heart of everything at the time.
Do people just completely disregard facts?

This is the record when Theo has played as the lone ST:

played 9, scored 9, W 7, D 1, L 1

I
think that proves that our style does work with this 'passenger' up front.

Ramsey_22

I'm not going to get involved in detail (had enough of that), but Theo is not a striker.

Fortunately, anyone who disagrees otherwise has Wenger to answer to, and will continue to regardless as Giroud will hands down be our starting CF.

US_Gooner

Established Member
Do people just completely disregard facts?
I don't see any facts here.

Dates, opponent, result, score, Walcott assists and goals?

For example, if you're counting his 2012 hat-trick v Newcastle in our 7-3 shellac'ing of them, those "facts" below now paint a less convincing picture.

Or his _1_ pointless goal v Reading (2012), when we crushed them 5-2 and Walcott missed a multitude of chances, and Cazorla had a hat-trick?!

This is the record when Theo has played as the lone ST:

played 9, scored 9, W 7, D 1, L 1

I
think that proves that our style does work with this 'passenger' up front.

Last edited:

say yes

forum master baiter
Nice calculations but you really shouldn't have bothered:

"If he hadn't suffered so many injuries, especially in the last two years, he would have been in with a a great chance of challenging Henry's goal record"

I'm not saying Theo is in with a chance now, but as a 23/24 year old with over 60 goals under his belt and just coming of the back of a 20 goal season (from the wing no less) a 20 goal a season average for the rest of his career would have had him challenging the big mans record.

I'm well aware of what you said thanks. But yeah ok: let's pretend Theo isn't ridiculously injury prone (he is), is one of the first names on the team sheet (he isn't) and manages to match his best ever output (21 goals all comps) every season.

If we pretend he magically did that over the last two years, he would be on 105 goals at this juncture, requiring another 6 seasons in a row of 21 goals to break Henry's record. Not sure I'd ever say Walcott has a "great chance" of doing that.

The whole thing is a pretty silly point. You've basically just picked a player with a good (not Henry level) goals/game record, who's horrendously injury prone and not even a guaranteed starter when fit, and said that if he never gets injured and plays ever game for long enough (well into his 30s) then he might eventually eclipse Henry's total. Well duh..

arsenalhumor

Why would one of the best manager in the world still be trying to use Walcott as striker when all the Einsteins on the Arsenal-mania have figured out that he is not striker...

I for myself am more of an Ed Witten modern type of genius, not an Einstein. I envision our Cf will be jeff , but then i get stuck in my own theories sometimes

Nemetoss

I think Walcott can easily succeed as a striker,but it would help the team a lot more if he got involved more as well as scoring goals.

GG8

I'm well aware of what you said thanks. But yeah ok: let's pretend Theo isn't ridiculously injury prone (he is), is one of the first names on the team sheet (he isn't) and manages to match his best ever output (21 goals all comps) every season.

If we pretend he magically did that over the last two years, he would be on 105 goals at this juncture, requiring another 6 seasons in a row of 21 goals to break Henry's record. Not sure I'd ever say Walcott has a "great chance" of doing that.

The whole thing is a pretty silly point. You've basically just picked a player with a good (not Henry level) goals/game record, who's horrendously injury prone and not even a guaranteed starter when fit, and said that if he never gets injured and plays ever game for long enough (well into his 30s) then he might eventually eclipse Henry's total. Well duh..

Prior to Theo getting his two big injuries over the past two seasons was he injury prone? Not really.

He averaged 39 appearances a season over the previous 5.

Before the last two seasons was he a nailed on starter? Yes, yes he was.

So I'm not just picking some random player etc. I made a educated assessment of a 23 year old, coming into his prime, nailed on starter, just of his best season goals wise and with his eyes on a spot in the middle and his manager seemingly thinking about (given he got injured in a game he started up top against a top team).

fabo

6.51 / 10
I think Walcott can easily succeed as a striker,but it would help the team a lot more if he got involved more as well as scoring goals.

He's not good enough to do that - that's the long and short of it. His link-up and vision is well below par. His passing in general isn't up to much, no range, basically lays it off simple and moves on.

But he's a goalscoring threat, pretty good finisher(does also seem to miss alot of chances too) and very quick.

I won't be happy if we are just sticking with Giroud/Theo at CF but am eager to see him against Chelsea, granted it's a glorified friendly but we have massive issues scoring against Mourinho's Chelsea so it will be an eye-opener. Opportunities to run in behind will probably be scarce but we tend to have a couple of half-openings against them and that can make the difference.

GG8

Yeah, that's what I sort of meant, his ducks were lining up.

He was scoring freely, one of the first names on the team sheet and looking to kick on.

Theo's injury couldn't have come at a worse time.

Coolin

Doesn't appreciate the mighty Nacho
I think it's too early to say whether or not he'll work up top. But with the options we have, I'm not content with dropping Giroud right now.

As it stands Sanchez, Walcott and Giroud make up the front 3 that'll bag the most goals. If we drop Giroud, who we playing instead? Cazorla on the wing? Wilshere again? Chamberlain who scored like 1 goal last year?

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Some posts...

Theo will never play as CF for 90 minites. He can do great job up front, but as wide forward to. Whoever plays with him up front will change positions a lot. simple as that.
Some people are crazy saying he cant be a CF expecting us to play him there all the time, every minute. Crazy

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
14 is my favorite number since I was 10 or so... Boro Primorac gave me (actually to my friend, but ended with me) Theo's jersey, and I also met him 2 times during preseason and was probably the nicest player of all.
Love everything about him bar his injuries :)
Hope they are gone now, at least those long term ones. And of course, waiting to see him put a sign on a new contract.

Mastadon

Established Member
He's been with us for over 10 years and has never delivered on his promise IMO. When we signed him we were told this kid was going to be the new Henry but his technique will never be anywhere near Henry despite 10 years of working with the coaches who helped train and develop Henry.

What he has developed really well is his movement and finishing. His technique combined with pace is enough for him to be effective from a wide right position or up front. I would really love to see him have an injury free season with none of this contract nonsense as a distraction to see what he really can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

My first ever football memory was Charlie George's double winning goal in 71. After that game; I just became an Arsenal fan.

Paul Davis
Top Bottom