• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Lucas Pérez: Is he back again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mm76

Yer Da
If only Welbeck was as productive as this guy. I swear if he wasn't relatively young and English he'd be eaten alive by fans.

yes just £1m less than Perez, and has actually been less productive given the amount of game time he's had - i was one of those who had big hopes for him, and would still argue he gives defenders more to think about than Giroud or Walcott, but if Perez had had his length of time in the side i'd bet anything he'd have a lot more to show for it

Toast

Established Member
He's played just 398 minutes for us in all competitions. Only three starts - all in the FA cup, against Sutton, Preston and Southampton. Over half his minutes came against the minnows - Preston, Sutton and Lincoln.

A £17.1m transfer fee, ~70k a week. What a waste.

We like to plead poverty, but piss away money.

GDeep™

League is very weak
He's played just 398 minutes for us in all competitions. Only three starts - all in the FA cup, against Sutton, Preston and Southampton. Over half his minutes came against the minnows - Preston, Sutton and Lincoln.

A £17.1m transfer fee, ~70k a week. What a waste.

We like to plead poverty, but piss away money.

He's been injured quite abit.

Toast

Established Member
He's been injured quite abit.

Fair enough, but still. Even when he's fit he barely plays. Hasn't started a single league game either. Since he was explicitly bought to cover for Welbeck's injury I can't see this signing as anything but a waste of money. A youth player could've filled the role he's played for us this season.

mm76

Yer Da
Fair enough, but still. Even when he's fit he barely plays. Hasn't started a single league game either. Since he was explicitly bought to cover for Welbeck's injury I can't see this signing as anything but a waste of money. A youth player could've filled the role he's played for us this season.

i get frustrated with this begin said.

It's not Lucas' fualt it seems like a waste of money - it's Wenger's for NOT F*****G PLAYING HIM even when our other 'strikers' were under-performing,

even Wenger would be playing him atm though as everyone else is sh*te but he is apparently injured although even that is getting mysterious as as soon as he's reported in training he gets injured again.

He's looked very good when playing and should have been given more chances when fit - all of which again is Wenger's fault

In my view we should keep him and get rid of Wenger

samshere

Why so serieuse?

It's not Lucas' fualt it seems like a waste of money - it's Wenger's for NOT F*****G PLAYING HIM even when our other 'strikers' were under-performing,

even Wenger would be playing him atm though as everyone else is sh*te but he is apparently injured although even that is getting mysterious as as soon as he's reported in training he gets injured again.

He's looked very good when playing and should have been given more chances when fit - all of which again is Wenger's fault

How will he play him if he's never fit?

Toast

Established Member

I think you may have misunderstood. I'm not blaming Perez, nor am I commenting on his qualities. I'm merely pointing out that bringing a player in for this kind of money just to cover for Welbeck's injury was a waste of money, considering Campbell, Gnabry or a youth player could have fulfilled the exact same role Perez has, but for a lot less money.

mm76

Yer Da
I think you may have misunderstood. I'm not blaming Perez, nor am I commenting on his qualities. I'm merely pointing out that bringing a player in for this kind of money just to cover for Welbeck's injury was a waste of money, considering Campbell, Gnabry or a youth player could have fulfilled the exact same role Perez has, but for a lot less money.

sure but i think you're maybe looking at it back-to-front

yes, we were crying out for more strike power in January, but from what i've seen he's better than any other forward at the club apart from Sanchez, and so in theory he wasn't just plugging a gap he was a sound long-term investment

so it's not that we bought him in the first place - the fault lies in not playing him -I'd rather we kept him and flogged Walcott etc

Toast

Established Member
sure but i think you're maybe looking at it back-to-front

yes, we were crying out for more strike power in January, but from what i've seen he's better than any other forward at the club apart from Sanchez, and so in theory he wasn't just plugging a gap he was a sound long-term investment

so it's not that we bought him in the first place - the fault lies in not playing him -I'd rather we kept him and flogged Walcott etc

Again, I'm not talking about player quality. I tried to point out the folly of spending 17 million quid to cover for an injured squad player, when much cheaper solutions were at hand.

mm76

Yer Da
Again, I'm not talking about player quality. I tried to point out the folly of spending 17 million quid to cover for an injured squad player, when much cheaper solutions were at hand.

ok, to go back a step, i was already of the opinion prior to signing him that we needed a better striker than we had and i think he looks very promising and if given the chance could well be a cut above the other options, apart from Alexis

so forget the others-being-injured stuff, i think we needed someone anyway

When Perez has been fit, seeing Giraffe, Walcott etc picked ahead of him when he looks more up for it and a better player is deeply frustrating

The only folly is Wenger not playing him, not buying him

mm76

Yer Da
How will he play him if he's never fit?

well it's getting a bit wierd with all the recent injuries - it's either Arsenal's famously injury-prone training regime or maybe there's more to it - maybe Wenger leaves banana skins under his place in the dressing room... :lol:

Toast

Established Member
ok, to go back a step, i was already of the opinion prior to signing him that we needed a better striker than we had and i think he looks very promising and if given the chance could well be a cut above the other options, apart from Alexis

so forget the others-being-injured stuff, i think we needed someone anyway

When Perez has been fit, seeing Giraffe, Walcott etc picked ahead of him when he looks more up for it and a better player is deeply frustrating

The only folly is Wenger not playing him, not buying him

Ok, but you're still addressing a different topic than me. Whether Wenger should've signed Perez anyway for different reasons or if he should've given him more gametime or whether he's a good player or not is all irrelevant to the point I made.

I don't really want to keep repeating myself, but spending 17 million pounds on a player for the reason Perez was actually bought[1] was a big waste of money, since much cheaper solutions were available.

[1]"At the start of the season I bought Lucas, who for me is a very good player. But why? Because Welbeck was out until now basically and I didn’t know how long it would take." - Arsène Wenger, 2 February 2017.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

I don't really want to keep repeating myself, but spending 17 million pounds on a player for the reason Perez was actually bought[1] was a big waste of money, since much cheaper solutions were available.

Not only have we wasted 17 million + wages on Lucas, we had an internal solution in Serge Gnabry which Wenger normally champions when he scoffs at the media's obsession with spending money.

The kicker is that Gnabry left and now Lucas rots on the bench.

Not only have we wasted 17 million + wages on Lucas, we had an internal solution in Serge Gnabry which Wenger normally champions when he scoffs at the media's obsession with spending money.

The kicker is that Gnabry left and now Lucas rots on the bench.

Arsenal wanted to keep Gnabry. He wanted to leave.

Why did he want to leave? I don't know the ins and outs but I'm betting game time was an issue.

Not lack of it. He was at loan the season earlier where he failed badly. After that season he went to Olympics where he did very well and he probably wanted guaranteed game time but we told him to fight for the place in first team. He clearly saw it better for his career and went to Germany, rumors is that Bayern played somehow part in that move. Nothing we could do against it.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Not lack of it. He was at loan the season earlier where he failed badly. After that season he went to Olympics where he did very well and he probably wanted guaranteed game time but we told him to fight for the place in first team. He clearly saw it better for his career and went to Germany, rumors is that Bayern played somehow part in that move. Nothing we could do against it.

We could have not bought Lucas and instead given Gnabry more minutes. There's always something you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

You are loved when you’re born, you’re loved when you die, and in between you have to manage

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Monday, May 3

Marco Silva is pushing the Fulham board to spend as Arsenal prepare to listen to offers for Emile Smith Rowe, among other fringe players [Evening Standard]

New Fenerbache manager Jose Mourinho is determined to stop Arsenal from signing LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [TBR Football]

Mikayil Faye ‘has in his mind’ to leave Barcelona this summer. Liverpool, Manchester United, Inter Milan & Bayern Munich are all showing a lot of interest in the player, however, Arsenal have ‘burst strongly’ onto the case in recent hours [Mundo Deportivo]

Latest posts

Top Bottom