• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Premier League 2017/18: We(nger) Go Again

Where do you think Arsenal will finish this season?

• Total voters

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
We’ll peak during the second half of the season.. Unless the gap widens before february I’m cobfident we’ll finish top 4
peak banter maybe...;)

Our schedule looks a little easier but don't see it happening mate. Haven't seen much in the 1st half of the season to suggest that it's suddenly going to improve in the 2nd 1/2. As for top 4, I'd say we have a 30% chance at best.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
peak banter maybe...;)

Our schedule looks a little easier but don't see it happening mate. Haven't seen much in the 1st half of the season to suggest that it's suddenly going to improve in the 2nd 1/2. As for top 4, I'd say we have a 30% chance at best.

haha we'll see, I'm confident..

But I'm more wrong than right these days :lol:
Such is life being an optimist in this cruel world.

IslingtonBornandbred

Interesting.

So United since 2008 won the Champions League, 4 Premier League's, 1 FA Cup and 1 Europa League despite having a spend difference to Man City of roughly the same amount of difference between Arsenal and United, yet United seemed to be successful despite being outspent by City.

Another table. Another stat. 444 million different ways to use tables, stats, graphs to fit a certain narrative.

redanddread

Your moving up the posting ladder bro.

Hope you've alerted @redanddread of this gem, he's found some soccerex sh*te about us being the richest team in the world and the Spuds being able to outspend United. Think he fished it from some parallel universe.:lol:
I think you're missing my point bro. I don't argue that we haven't spent as much and I don't argue that spending more will in the long run give you a better chance of winning the whole shabang. However, the fact that we haven't spent as much is not the only reason we've not been competing in the league.

At least on 3-4 occasions during this same period Arsenal led the league & in 2007/08 by no less than 5 points in February. However as has been the case consistently when we've been in with a shout to really challenge for the league deep into the season we've been derailed by results against teams that we should be beating plus losing/drawing to our direct rivals. And as I pointed out in the Red Myths thread, which you failed to answer, on the face of it those capitulations seemed to have very little to do with net spend, squad cost or any excuse to explain what essentially was a mental & physical capitulation. We saw it 2007/08, 2013/14, 2015/16 and even to a lesser extent last year.

Arsène should be applauded for getting us to 1st place in the league but the manner in which we have surrendered and to whom we have surrendered has to beg the question whether the man knows how to pull his team over the line and to date that would be a resounding NO. I mean it's not like any of the other teams are light years away from us in talent. UTD have spent gazillions and have been below us for a few years & many would argue whether or not their squad was any better than ours or even Chelsea for that matter. City seemed to have added some fine players this season but really is their squad 23 points better off than ours - in the league table, yes but on paper.

My issue with Arsène is that he hasn't been able to get the best out of his squad when it really counts. Hey remember he's the guy who constantly says that he'll only buy a player if he can improve his already fantastic squad. Obviously no one in world football was good enough for Arsenal's squad in the summer of 2015/16 - so if the Boss thinks he's got a good enough squad to challenge then why the **** isn't he challenging?

Not only is he not challenging - his team is falling down the table. From thinking about the league a few years ago we're now praying that we can win our top 4 trophy again. Problem is that now there are better managers at the top end of the game to go along with better squads and Arsène is getting squeezed out because on both fronts, managerial & squad wise, we ain't good enough on either front.

redanddread

haha we'll see, I'm confident..

But I'm more wrong than right these days :lol:
Such is life being an optimist in this cruel world.
Believe it or not I used to be called the "eternal optimist" & life was so happy - then ****ing reality slapped me in the Arse(nal) ;)

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I think you're missing my point bro. I don't argue that we haven't spent as much and I don't argue that spending more will in the long run give you a better chance of winning the whole shabang. However, the fact that we haven't spent as much is not the only reason we've not been competing in the league.

At least on 3-4 occasions during this same period Arsenal led the league & in 2007/08 by no less than 5 points in February. However as has been the case consistently when we've been in with a shout to really challenge for the league deep into the season we've been derailed by results against teams that we should be beating plus losing/drawing to our direct rivals. And as I pointed out in the Red Myths thread, which you failed to answer, on the face of it those capitulations seemed to have very little to do with net spend, squad cost or any excuse to explain what essentially was a mental & physical capitulation. We saw it 2007/08, 2013/14, 2015/16 and even to a lesser extent last year.

Arséne should be applauded for getting us to 1st place in the league but the manner in which we have surrendered and to whom we have surrendered has to beg the question whether the man knows how to pull his team over the line and to date that would be a resounding NO. I mean it's not like any of the other teams are light years away from us in talent. UTD have spent gazillions and have been below us for a few years & many would argue whether or not their squad was any better than ours or even Chelsea for that matter. City seemed to have added some fine players this season but really is their squad 23 points better off than ours - in the league table, yes but on paper.

My issue with Arséne is that he hasn't been able to get the best out of his squad when it really counts. Hey remember he's the guy who constantly says that he'll only buy a player if he can improve his already fantastic squad. Obviously no one in world football was good enough for Arsenal's squad in the summer of 2015/16 - so if the Boss thinks he's got a good enough squad to challenge then why the **** isn't he challenging?

Not only is he not challenging - his team is falling down the table. From thinking about the league a few years ago we're now praying that we can win our top 4 trophy again. Problem is that now there are better managers at the top end of the game to go along with better squads and Arséne is getting squeezed out because on both fronts, managerial & squad wise, we ain't good enough on either front.
Bro I can't keep answering your posts about the timings of losses. You've got an obsession with this and keep repeating it.

When I've got time I'll look and see if there's any pattern to our losses.

redanddread

Bro I can't keep answering your posts about the timings of losses. You've got an obsession with this and keep repeating it.

When I've got time I'll look and see if there's any pattern to our losses.
It's not an obsession bro it's just that if a team constantly fails at the most important times on a consistent basis then the team has an issue.

And when you average out all your stats, you tend to miss these nuances out.

But, but keep telling me we've got a good defense per $ spent.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Your moving up the posting ladder bro.

Hope you've alerted @redanddread of this gem, he's found some soccerex sh*te about us being the richest team in the world and the Spuds being able to outspend United. Think he fished it from some parallel universe.:lol:
Glad I'm moving up in the world :lol:

I don't agree that spending is an absolute but just thought it would be of interest to you especially in lieu of our regression conversation. Perhaps we are deviating towards our spend whilst others pulling ahead of us.

marting

The way i see these "spending stats" - They are pretty rubbish, if anything they should be used as a stick to beat our board. Our they outspending us or are we just being tight? You cant tell me that Liverpool and Sp**s should be outspending us, we also shouldnt be 400M behind united, Yes i expect to be outspent by City and United but not by that margin. Are apparent process of making 1 big signing and some dross for cheap simply isnt the way to do it unless your the champions. 1 big player a season was never going to turn us into a league winning team.

Masterdon

We haven't been outspent by Sp**s. They have a net spend of close to 0 over the last 5 years their recruitment and transfers have been fantastic. Its logical that the more you sell the more you buy.

We definitely have spent more than Pool as well.

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/pre...tables/premier-league-table-last-five-seasons

For me this just shows that our recruitment has been awful. Signings have mostly been poor/average with few exceptions. We've spent 300 mil gross in the last 5 years and what do we have to show for it? Özil and Sanchez with 6 months left on their contract. Cech is the only remotely successful signing with Laca and Kola still unproven at this point.

Would you expect to have more to show for such a big spend?

http://www.transferleague.co.uk/arsenal/english-football-teams/arsenal-transfers

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Glad I'm moving up in the world :lol:

I don't agree that spending is an absolute but just thought it would be of interest to you especially in lieu of our regression conversation. Perhaps we are deviating towards our spend whilst others pulling ahead of us.
To be fair that table shows roughly where we are in spend and in the league. Those teams don't need to pull ahead bro, they already have a head start.

When the mob get there way and force Wenger out, that figure has got to change otherwise the new guy will be in the same boat.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

To be fair that table shows roughly where we are in spend and in the league. Those teams don't need to pull ahead bro, they already have a head start.

When the mob get there way and force Wenger out, that figure has got to change otherwise the new guy will be in the same boat.
I'd respectfully and fundamentally disagree with that.

I've said numerous times guys like Bellerin cost nothing but if you were to buy him from Southampton he'd be a 40m player. We just need a coach who gets the best from these players.

Also Liverpool have sold Coutinho, Suarez and Torres for 250m. That money is reinvested back into the team. They bought Benteke for 35m and then sold him for the same fee! That's some business. Even guys like Carroll bought for 35m and sold for 15m. Sahko bought for 18m and sold for 26m. Jordan Ibe 15m. All reinvested.

That's where we need to improve. Liverpool extracted the best from those three original players and sold them for fees we haven't got close to that. What's our most expensive sale? The Ox, Fabregas?

We need to stop hording players and cash whilst improving our current young crop. Doing one of those well will improve us doing all three and we will be up there with the best. Neither requires oil money. Just strong management to develop and move on people at the right time.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I've said numerous times guys like Bellerin cost nothing but if you were to buy him from Southampton he'd be a 40m player. We just need a coach who gets the best from these players.
But it's the same story for squad 'estimated value', if you prefer that, to fit your Bellerin scenario.

CIES have done much work on it this season. Here are the estimated values of the biggest squads and yet again we're nearly half the value of City. We are 6th on this list. It all fits.

http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2017/202/en/

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

At least on 3-4 occasions during this same period Arsenal led the league & in 2007/08 by no less than 5 points in February. However as has been the case consistently when we've been in with a shout to really challenge for the league deep into the season we've been derailed by results against teams that we should be beating
We only lost 3 matches that season. Away at Middlesborough 2-1, we should have won that, but it was in December bro.

Yes we lost the other two matches in March and April, both away, and to the two richest clubs in the league . . Chelsea 2-1 and United 2-1. That had nothing to do with sh*tting the bed and more to do with the timing of those two fixtures. It's just coincidence they came after our February lead. Just don't buy this capitulation theory of yours.

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
We only lost 3 matches that season. Away at Middlesborough 2-1, we should have won that, but it was in December bro.

Yes we lost the other two matches in March and April, both away, and to the two richest clubs in the league . . Chelsea 2-1 and United 2-1. That had nothing to do with sh*tting the bed and more to do with the timing of those two fixtures. It's just coincidence they came after our February lead. Just don't buy this capitulation theory of yours.

Before getting robbed at the Bridge and OT we had a series of four consecutive draws against Birmingham, Wigan, Villa and Boro. We weren't even top of the table anymore when we played Chelsea.

redanddread

Open your eyes man - the reason we lost the title that season was the 4 consecutive draws to Birmingham, Villa, Wigan & Sunderland (I think it as those 4) - then not being able to beat either of Liverpool, UTD, & Chelsea. Standard fare really.

You're like a man that doesn't believe in evolution...mounting evidence but you care not to acknowledge it. How many times does Arsène have to botch it up at the very top before you wake up and see he's no longer capable of doing the job we all hoped he could & not simply because he won't spend the money but because his footballing tactics & recruitment policy don't stack up at the elite level.

Last edited:

Arsenal Quotes

We lacked a little bit of sharpness

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom