• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I actually think unless we have a disastrous transfer window we could surprise people next season. I think there's something to be said for the "new manager syndrome" like when a new manager takes over a relegation candidate and suddenly starts winning games.

I think if we make two or three good signings with one or two being "statement signings" like Manolas/Coulibaly and a top central midfielder, we could get off to a good start and the momentum of the positivity, freshness and the new manager will give us a boost.

Whether it's Arteta, Vieira or Enrique, Allegri, Jardim I think there's going to be a rebound effect which could turn into something if we start well. Of course, if we don't buy anyone apart from Steven Defour for 5 million and the fans start signing "spend some fackin money", we lose the opening game and then stories start appearing that the players hate the new manager's double training sessions and his methods, we might find ourselves 10th and sacking the new manager in December to replace him with another top manager who has just become available, but like I said, I've got a feeling that momentum alone might give us a boost this first season.

Agreed. This squad isn't that far away. It just needs some spine in the back. With Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan there from the start, this should be as good an attacking team as any in the league. Just need some players who don't make stupid mistakes in the back.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Let's face it, even with Enrique or Allegri, we will still be aiming for top 4, unless the new manager magically gets 200 M to spend this summer, something we all know is not about to happen.
That is exactly why I would go the Arteta route as well. Get someone new, with fresh ideas and start a rebuilding process.

Why?
We don't even know what kind of manager he is...
We don't even know his "fresh ideas". We don't know if he's the kind of manager who can be at the head of a rebuilding process.
We don't even know if he is the kind of manager to spend a lot to succeed or not.

There is not logical reason to pick Arteta right now.
It's a huge risk we can't afford to take right now. If the next manager fails we can become a midtable team like Liverpool was for a few years.

If he wants to bring Pep's philosophy to Arsenal (that's the main reason why people rate him/want him), unless we spend huge amount of money to get players that fit this style like Pep did, there is no chance it's going to work.

Being an assistant is a whole different world.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Let's face it, even with Enrique or Allegri, we will still be aiming for top 4, unless the new manager magically gets 200 M to spend this summer, something we all know is not about to happen.
That is exactly why I would go the Arteta route as well. Get someone new, with fresh ideas and start a rebuilding process.
You are probably right, it's naive to think our board would be aiming at anything other than top 4.

Also highly unlikely that a manager comes in and out of nowhere we can win the PL. Even Conte and Guardiola inherited a squad full of experienced champions before winning the league.

In one way I like the idea of "rebuilding", but I have always had the feeling we were two / three big signings (a spine really) away from winning the title. Therefore signing Arteta would feel like taking two steps back.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
Enrique asking for £200m makes me want him more tbh.

Shows that (a) he recognises how **** we are and (b) that he wants to win trophies, not increase Stan’s revenue

As opposed to the greedy bastard just wanting to cash-in on a club he believes is desperate and below the standard of a former Barca manager. Plus ensure that if he is sacked this time, his payday will blunt the sting.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Enrique asking for £200m makes me want him more tbh.

Shows that (a) he recognises how **** we are and (b) that he wants to win trophies, not increase Stan’s revenue
Every manager will demand this. You think Vieira will come here and work on a budget after he’s seen what Wenger has gone through?

The only manager I can see accepting a tight budget is Jardim.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
As opposed to the greedy bastard just wanting to cash-in on a club he believes is desperate and below the standard of a former Barca manager. Plus ensure that if he is sacked this time, his payday will blunt the sting.
I must admit I would be rather sad if we appoint a mercenary manager, after so many years of someone in charge who truly loved the club

Godwin1

Very well-known
Why?
We don't even know what kind of manager he is...
We don't even know his "fresh ideas". We don't know if he's the kind of manager who can be at the head of a rebuilding process.
We don't even know if he is the kind of manager to spend a lot to succeed or not.

There is not logical reason to pick Arteta right now.
It's a huge risk we can't afford to take right now. If the next manager fails we can become a midtable team like Liverpool was for a few years.

If he wants to bring Pep's philosophy to Arsenal (that's the main reason why people rate him/want him), unless we spend huge amount of money to get players that fit this style like Pep did, there is no chance it's going to work.

Being an assistant is a whole different world.
Don't understand it either mate, other than "he offers something fresh" etc there's no logical reason to actively want Arteta to be our next manager. Bizarre.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Not that anyone here will get a 200M budget for this summer anyway.

The issue will not be attracting interest, but convincing someone to take the project on the terms we offer.

Even Henry thinks we need 4/5 big players, don’t think he takes the job if he’s not allowed to sign those top players.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Every manager will demand this. You think Vieira will come here and work on a budget after he’s seen what Wenger has gone through?

The only manager I can see accepting a tight budget is Jardim.

Could be an eye opener for Gazidis and co if all the candidates tell him "You do know you need to spend at least 200m to get this squad properly competing, right?"

Godwin1

Very well-known
Of course there is a logical reason, he’s rated as an exceptional coach.

My first choice.
I think he has a good reputation as a coach, how much anecdotal evidence is there? I've read some good quotes about him. But he has no experience as manager, so you are basing your choice off the few quotes you've read about him?

IslingtonBornandbred

Ramsey before the Atletico game on Arteta:

"Mikel was a fantastic player for Arsenal and a great captain.

"He's been under Pep Guardiola there, he was always interested even when he was playing here in going into a coaching role one day, I'm sure he's learning a lot about the game and especially the way Man City have been playing.

"They've done fantastically well, so I'm sure that one day when the time is right, he'll be a fantastic manager. It's still early days in his career at the moment."

Godwin1

Very well-known

"He's been under Pep Guardiola there, he was always interested even when he was playing here in going into a coaching role one day, I'm sure he's learning a lot about the game and especially the way Man City have been playing.

"They've done fantastically well, so I'm sure that one day when the time is right, he'll be a fantastic manager. It's still early days in his career at the moment."
That puts him as a number 1 candidate?

IslingtonBornandbred

That puts him as a number 1 candidate?

At what point did I put him at number 1 candidate. :lol:

If anything, that quote disqualifies Arteta somewhat because Ramsey's giving the "one day he'll be a fantastic manager" and "it's still early days in his career". He's too inexperienced and too close to the current squad.

For the record, I think Arteta may well turn out to be a good manager in the future but he's not ready for Arsenal right now and I fail to see why some positive PR and endorsements from some of his friends make him qualified to become the next manager of Arsenal.

Last edited:

Godwin1

Very well-known
At what point did I put him at number 1 candidate. :lol:

If anything, that quote disqualifies Arteta somewhat because Ramsey's giving the "one day he'll be a fantastic manager" and "it's still early days in his career".

For the record, I think Arteta may well turn out to be a good manager in the future but he's not ready for Arsenal right now and I fail to see why some positive PR and endorsements from some of his friends make him qualified to become the next manager of Arsenal.
Sorry I kind of answered as a continuation of my conversation with @GDeep™ :lol:

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I hope its true that Enrique wants 15m because no way will Arsenal hire him. He'd be lucky to get a budget of 15m let alone a salary!

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli

No one would ever say the opposite regarding someone they know and worked with, unless the guy has been a total asshole or completely incompetent. These quotes mean absolutely nothing other than: "when we worked together, Arteta was a nice, intelligent guy and did his job with enthusiasm".

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Of course there is a logical reason, he’s rated as an exceptional coach.

My first choice.

I'm pretty sure if you ask Wenger he will tell you that Bould is an exceptionnal coach too.
Ferguson was saying the same about his assistant Queiroz who has miserably failed as a head coach.

I don't care about what his friend, Pep or Pochettino say about Arteta until we have some evidence to back their claim.

Do you really think Pep was going to say? "No, Arteta is going to be a terrible coach. he doesn't have what it takes. No way he's gonna make it".

I'm not saying that one day he won't be a great coach. That's all I hope for him.
But I don't trust him and I don't want him to start his career as a head coach at Arsenal.

I don't know a single assistant who has make it at a big club as a head coach without getting some experience elsewhere.
Especially in a context where we need to rebuild. Start from scratch. With a team that is way inferior to the competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

"Surely what will be their last attack.

A good ball by Dixon, finding Smith for Thomas, charging through the midfield... It's up for grabs now! Thomas! Right at the end!

What an unbelievable climax to the League season"

Brian Moore on the Thomas' winning goal at Anfield in 1989

Daily Transfer Updates

Sunday, May 2

Fulham have made Emile Smith Rowe a priority this summer and are ready to bid for him [Mike McGrath - The Telegraph]

Arsenal have scouted Las Palmas goalkeeper Alvaro Valles as they prepare to part company with Aaron Ramsdale [Ryan Taylor - The Mirror]

Arsenal have set a deadline of two weeks to complete the signing of Benjamin Šeško [Sky Germany]

Napoli striker Victor Osimhen is expecting an offer from Arsenal [Gazzetta]

Latest posts

Top Bottom