• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikey2000

Im not buying this narrative that the competition is stronger than ever. With the exception of Liverpool and to a certain extent City every other team is weaker this season. Chelsea have downgraded managers, lost key players and are quite an old side. Sp**s moved to a temporary stadium and didn't spend a single dollar in the transfer window and now have injuries that will further expose them most likely. While United had a terrible start to a season and sacked their manager as a result. The competition is weaker and it is only through Emerys poor management over the last 2 months that we sit in fifth spot level with United and three points behind Chelsea.

Very much depends on how you see things;

Previous seasons City were far and away the best team and now Pool are very much on a par with them and we have two teams running away with it, so by default this would suggest the competition is better than it was previously.

Sp**s may not have spent a dollar but they kept the same squad, playing style and manager and didn't lose any key players - this has enabled them to keep their consistency at a high level which shows in their points tally - they are set to be tested in the coming months but as of right now they sit where they deserve to sit and consistency has been their main asset, not any stronger but not any weaker.

Chelsea added Kovacic and Jorgihno and replaced a decent keeper with a decent keeper, they haven't really lost key players and are 3 points ahead of us which is a fine margin but around about right i would suggest.

We have made good signings, and our squad is on a par with Chelsea, the only difference for me is the volume of defensive injuries we have had and if Chelsea had experienced similar i am sure our positions would be reversed.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Untitled.jpg

The idea that Emery only binned the back 3 against Chelsea is a myth. He changed the system after the Southampton debacle and other than the first half against Fulham + West Ham, he's used a back 4.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Im not buying this narrative that the competition is stronger than ever. With the exception of Liverpool and to a certain extent City every other team is weaker this season. Chelsea have downgraded managers, lost key players and are quite an old side. Sp**s moved to a temporary stadium and didn't spend a single dollar in the transfer window and now have injuries that will further expose them most likely. While United had a terrible start to a season and sacked their manager as a result. The competition is weaker and it is only through Emerys poor management over the last 2 months that we sit in fifth spot level with United and three points behind Chelsea.

Livepool, Sp**s, Arsenal all have a greater number of points than matchday 23 last season Chelsea have the same number of points.

say yes

forum master baiter
It's not that we don't think he's good enough as much as that we're just critical of some of the work he's done thus far. I know I made one comment after the West Ham game about how I was now convinced he's not the man for the job, and that was perhaps hyperbolic, but I and several others have generally been clear that we believe he should be given time. There's no real call to kick Emery out, you're fighting a group that doesn't exist.

Fair enough. If you (and others like you - you were far from the only one) are retracting those comments about being ‘convinced’ that Emery isn’t good enough for us six months into the job, then I’ll hang up my sword.

In my view, it’s both too early and completely unmerited to even have ‘strong doubts’ at this stage. So I’m certainly not having any of this ‘final judgement’ nonsense six months in. Not on my forum.

Aevi

Hale End FC
Untitled.jpg

The idea that Emery only binned the back 3 against Chelsea is a myth. He changed the system after the Southampton debacle and other than the first half against Fulham + West Ham, he's used a back 4.
It's not a myth. We often eventually switched to back 3s in game, which this table does not reflect.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
It's not a myth. We often eventually switched to back 3s in game, which this table does not reflect.
Emery has been criticised for starting games with a back 3 and a perceived negative approach. Switching to that system for the last twenty minutes against Brighton and the 2nd half of Liverpool doesn't change the fact that he seems to have moved away from it in recent weeks.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Emery’s ideal formation is a 4-2-3-1. It’s where he enjoyed his best spells in management.

He played a 4-3-3 with PSG due to the MCN front three- and the fact they had no genuine no.10. Even still, he tried to push Gio Lo Celso in that role.

The obvious problem is our lack of wingers. For a 4-2-3-1 to work effectively you need some quality width. Mkhitaryan isn’t good enough and Iwobi should be cover out wide at best.

Interesting to see he wants to add a winger this month. The options are limited though, especially seeing as we can’t actually buy anyone.

Tom349

Very much depends on how you see things;

Previous seasons City were far and away the best team and now Pool are very much on a par with them and we have two teams running away with it, so by default this would suggest the competition is better than it was previously.

Sp**s may not have spent a dollar but they kept the same squad, playing style and manager and didn't lose any key players - this has enabled them to keep their consistency at a high level which shows in their points tally - they are set to be tested in the coming months but as of right now they sit where they deserve to sit and consistency has been their main asset, not any stronger but not any weaker.

Chelsea added Kovacic and Jorgihno and replaced a decent keeper with a decent keeper, they haven't really lost key players and are 3 points ahead of us which is a fine margin but around about right i would suggest.

We have made good signings, and our squad is on a par with Chelsea, the only difference for me is the volume of defensive injuries we have had and if Chelsea had experienced similar i am sure our positions would be reversed.

We're not competing alongside Liverpool and City they're running their own race. We are in the battle for the final two spots in the top 4 alongside Chelsea, Sp**s and United.

Sp**s moved stadiums and struggled to adjust having lost four times there and only dropping 6 points away from home. If they hadn't moved to the point they would most likely be a lot closer to City and Liverpool on the table. They have gone backwards on last season and will probably go even further back given their about to miss key personnel over the next month.

Chelsea added two completely average midfielders who their fans do not want. Kepa has also struggled and on form so far is a considerable downgrade on Courtius. They also have an ageing squad with a number of players looking past their best, which is more noticeable this season.

United sacked their manager for failing to perform with the talent he had. They're now level on points with us.

Our squad is ahead of Chelsea and we're three points behind them. Both teams have new managers with the playing style of Sarri being far harder to adapt from Conti then what it is from Wenger to Emery. We've had two major injuries and a couple of niggles, lets not blow things out of proportion, although going forward Bellerin is a considerable loss. Also not a coincidence that these injuries are often a result of fatigue, which leads to questions about Emerys training methods and playing style and how sustainable it is over the course of the season.

Tom349

The team in 6th has 44 points, which is the most a team that far down the table has ever had in the PL at this stage of the season. It's not a narrative, it's a fact.

Thats not how it works. Having more points doesn't necessarily equal being a better team. Could just as easily mean the competition down the bottom is weaker than previous seasons, which at this point of last season all teams had at least 20 points. But that argument is just as flawed as yours which is why you have to individually analyse each team and the different circumstances they could be operating under compared to previous seasons. Which from my view point the teams around us are weaker this season for reasons I've previously listed. You can argue otherwise but looking at points isn't going to draw any accurate conclusions.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I feel proven right by the Chelsea game in a way. Emery's management of key players and stubbornness on using formations that haven't worked played a large role in not only our poor results in the past 2 months but also our poor performances even when we weren't winning. The moment he reintroduced Ramsey into the team, moved away from the back three, and played everyone in their preferred position, we not only played well but won fairly convincingly.

I said if Emery continues in the same vain as the last two months, I'd consider moving him on, but I'm most definitely happy to have him here in the meantime. I understand that injuries and a competitive season have made things difficult for him, but what I look for more than results this season is a progression towards something new and better than we had under Wenger, and Emery has shown at times that we haven't been heading that way. I've already mentioned why I think that, so I won't write it all out again.

But again, when you say "...the football manager experts on here who are already convinced Emery isn’t good enough for us," I think you're misrepresenting those you disagree with. It's not that we don't think he's good enough as much as that we're just critical of some of the work he's done thus far. I know I made one comment after the West Ham game about how I was now convinced he's not the man for the job, and that was perhaps hyperbolic, but I and several others have generally been clear that we believe he should be given time. There's no real call to kick Emery out, you're fighting a group that doesn't exist.
You’re not alone in your early criticism of Emery, but with respect, there’s a lot of conflicting statements and back peddling in that post bro. ;)

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Yes we need more consistency in our tactical approach to find our best balance and performance!
But I’m surprised you don’t think a new manager in a new league has some license to experiment in order to find that balance, particularly when the team is injury ravaged.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Our squad is ahead of Chelsea and we're three points behind them
That’s a purely subjective statement and depends on opinion.

What is not in doubt is that our squad took £428m to assemble and the Chelsea squad cost £673m.

Out-playing a squad like that, Emery deserves a great deal of credit, even if it was at home.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

We're not competing alongside Liverpool and City they're running their own race. We are in the battle for the final two spots in the top 4 alongside Chelsea, Sp**s and United.

Sp**s moved stadiums and struggled to adjust having lost four times there and only dropping 6 points away from home. If they hadn't moved to the point they would most likely be a lot closer to City and Liverpool on the table. They have gone backwards on last season and will probably go even further back given their about to miss key personnel over the next month.

Chelsea added two completely average midfielders who their fans do not want. Kepa has also struggled and on form so far is a considerable downgrade on Courtius. They also have an ageing squad with a number of players looking past their best, which is more noticeable this season.

United sacked their manager for failing to perform with the talent he had. They're now level on points with us.

Our squad is ahead of Chelsea and we're three points behind them. Both teams have new managers with the playing style of Sarri being far harder to adapt from Conti then what it is from Wenger to Emery. We've had two major injuries and a couple of niggles, lets not blow things out of proportion, although going forward Bellerin is a considerable loss. Also not a coincidence that these injuries are often a result of fatigue, which leads to questions about Emerys training methods and playing style and how sustainable it is over the course of the season.

Mate as much as it pains me to say sp*rs are a very very good side and we have just seen them grind out a victory with multiple injuries last weekend.

Chelsea & Manu have spent millions upon millions in key positions and can easily finish above us giving only 70-80% performances.

I’m not sure how you come to the conclusion that we should be ahead of any of these teams with our long standing squad issues and a new manager. It’s madness.

We might do it, it would be a fantastic achievement. But it’s going to be very difficult, especially as Özil and Miki our 2 key creative players are having sub-par seasons.

Last edited:

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
We've had two major injuries and a couple of niggles, lets not blow things out of proportion, although going forward Bellerin is a considerable loss. Also not a coincidence that these injuries are often a result of fatigue, which leads to questions about Emerys training methods and playing style and how sustainable it is over the course of the season.

Wow, just no. We had 2 season-ending injuries to two players who were arguably in the best form out of all the players they share the position with. Welbeck was at the time of injury threating Laca and Auba with his output. Holding was on the rise and was probably the most improved player under Emery. We have spent the most of November and December scraping a defense with 3 out of 4 key players injured, and a 33-year-old Kos returning from a career threating injury.

For a team that can supposedly spend exactly zero pounds this transfer window this is a considerable handicap.

Tom349

Wow, just no. We had 2 season-ending injuries to two players who were arguably in the best form out of all the players they share the position with. Welbeck was at the time of injury threating Laca and Auba with his output. Holding was on the rise and was probably the most improved player under Emery. We have spent the most of November and December scraping a defense with 3 out of 4 key players injured, and a 33-year-old Kos returning from a career threating injury.

For a team that can supposedly spend exactly zero pounds this transfer window this is a considerable handicap.

We lack depth and we send Calum Chambers on loan when he can cover a number of positions and was arguably our best performed defender in second half of last season. When your manager makes decisions like that then he has be responsible for having a defensive crisis. Playing three at the back when you lack depth is also very questionable.

Also we haven't even played a game since Bellerins injury and whilst he missed time with a previous injury, you can hardly say we have been that unlucky to this point of the season (prior to Chelsea game). Also why so many injuries this season, its not just bad luck but poor management of players and over working them. Emerys style is going to lead to injuries.

Emery isn't faultless in all of this.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

We lack depth and we send Calum Chambers on loan when he can cover a number of positions and was arguably our best performed defender in second half of last season. When your manager makes decisions like that then he has be responsible for having a defensive crisis. Playing three at the back when you lack depth is also very questionable.

Also we haven't even played a game since Bellerins injury and whilst he missed time with a previous injury, you can hardly say we have been that unlucky to this point of the season (prior to Chelsea game). Also why so many injuries this season, its not just bad luck but poor management of players and over working them. Emerys style is going to lead to injuries.

Nobody said Emery was faultless. You don’t like him, I get it. Let’s give the guy a couple of seasons if we’re not progressing jog him on. Agreed???

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard

Well I can't expect a manager doing miracles when there is an injury crisis, I can only expect him to do his best damage control possible. The crisis hit 2 months into his first full season so I am willing to give him a benefit of the doubt. I don't believe he is faultless and I was also baffled b some decisions but his willingness to let go of something he sees went wrong is something I can applaud. It took Arsène a lot more to switch to a back 3 and then a lot more crappy performance to ditch the formation. No manager is faultless but consider the circumstances.

Welbeck and Holding injuries were on impact and Bellerin unlucky. Wouldn't call it due to fatigue. He omitted Toreirra from the first XI two matches ago despite the groans from the reactionary fanbase because he had fitness concerns (confirmed) - wouldn't call that bad managing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

No one could have imagined for a single second that he would come to us. Only David Dein, Sol, his agent, and I knew what was going on. When I called a press conference to announce the arrival of a new player, and Sol Campbell walked into the room full of journalists, it was a bombshell.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom