• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kav

Established Member
It's unbelievable we don't set players down in corners, especially at end of half. This was exactly the same with Wenger's last years.

But in the goal Kola ran in very stupidly and left his flank open. Tierney is smarter than that surely. Tierney is better defensively than Kola. And Bellerin better than AMN.
I agree with you on those points about the step up in quality of players. My concern is when Emery sets the team up like he did at anfield. No width so whoever is playing on the flanks (Bellerin, Tierney, Kola or AMN) will get exposed to 2 players coming at them and interchanging.

That spells disaster In my book because our Central defenders are not dominant or quick enough to plug the inevitable gaps that will open up. Though im willing to give him the benefit of a few more months to see how the team improves when he has these players and others at his disposal.

Impact

Established Member
Do Bellerin and Tierney really come in a lift this team to the extent we’re suppose to believe?

Have a hard time looking at everything that’s wrong with how we play and believing that two full backs can change all that.

Our attack will look a lot better. We'll create better quality chances and probably score more. That in turn forces teams to be more defensive against us, which should help us concede less chances too. Think about how average defensively TAA is at L'pool. But because he's so good going forward, it's rare that his deficiencies are exploited as teams set up to contain rather than attack him.

Steps

Scenes when this cvnt costs us the best striker in the Premier League by playing like a scared schoolyard girl. What the **** has happened to our club?

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
I find it bemusing about the folks going "But we're 4th!!!". It's October 1st. The difference between 4th and 11th is just 3 points. Sheffield, Wolves, Leicester, West Ham, Norwich, etc. these are tough games coming up. And the way we're playing we could slide down the table so fast it'll make our heads spin

We are a mere 4 points behind Man City aka “The Greatest Team Evuur (TM)” but I think the main reason 4th is mentioned is that people are screaming Emery Out!!! As if we are languishing 4 points adrift at the foot of the table.

Does Emery deserves criticism - 100% sure

Should he be sacked with immediate effect? - 100% no

Have some perspective people :lol:

Debre-Zeyit

Should be sacked just for not being able to speak clear English,quite hard to understand him in his interviews without subtitles.

Morning_woody

Results change things. Picking up 3 points against Villa and then Frankfurt has got Emery off the hook. And rightly so. We are 4th in the league after 7 games that include Liverpool, Sp**s and United. That's 42.8% of matches against rivals and only two rivals (Liverpool and City) are ahead of us. On paper most would have taken that.

Looking at the bigger picture nothing has changed since our dreadful season finish.
We drew against the worst team in the league,
we barely scraped a win against poor Newcastle. We were in trouble against Villa, Tottenham and Burnley where only brilliancy of individuals saved our ass. Imagine if Auba was injured, we would be fighting relegation. I won't even mention the Liverpool game.
Our game is getting worse and worse.
How anyone can believe that Emery can turn this around is beyond me.
The guy has been here almost a year and a half and no one knows what kind of football he wants us to play.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

As long as Emery keeps adapting to every other opponent, no matter the form or personnel problems, he will never make it here. You need about 1 billion investment in players to have players good enough to do that. These guys need clarity, a consistent way of playing that showcases their strenghts, not masks their weaknesses.

Morning_woody

Just for the sake of fun, let's see how many points we would have without Auba

1 p against Newcastle
1 p against Burnley
0 p against Liverpool
0 p against Tottenham
0 p against Watford
1 p against A Villa
0 p Against Man United

This joker of a coach can thank Aubermeyang for still having a job.
Sack him before it's too late

Steps

****, guys, I just had a thought. What if the board has tried to sack him, but they can't understand his broken English well enough to see if he understood them?

Board: "Emery, you're out"
Unai: *mumbles*
Board: "Emery, do you understand? We do not want you as manager."
Unai: "Yes, yes, tactics need strong."
Board: "Mate, you're fired."
Unai: "We train next match best." *awkward grimace* "No can say how do but...uh..." *grimace* "...more better."
Board: ...........................
Unai: "Good Ebening"

goonergaz

Hi everyone, long time lurker - lifetime supporter. Been going to games since the late 80's.

I was reading the Man Utd game thread and I noticed (which I've seen a few times before) a few members bring up the squads inherited by both Wenger and Emery and comparing them as you might 'against each other'. But to me this is not comparing fairly, it's not 'oranges vs oranges' more 'apples vs oranges' - and whilst this was typed as a response to a poster I actually felt it might be worth a thread of it's own...so let's look at how Emery is doing vs how Wenger did at the start of his tenure...

Some things to consider. Wenger took over a team that previously finished 5th with 63 points and improved that in the first season to 3rd and 68pts whereas Emery took over a team that finished 6th on 63pts and his first season ended 5th on 70 points...so 2 more points, unfortunately the competition did slightly better...whilst I agree we did capitulate there were more points were on the board.

Also, why not list the players from each team inherited and pick the best starting 11 - it's a tough call but I'd say more of the team Wenger inherited would be in my team, in particular Wenger inherited a really good spine to the team (underlined) whereas Emerys team has no 'spine';

GK = Seaman vs Cech
RB = Dixon vs Bellerin
CB = Adams vs Koscielny
CB = Keown vs Mustafi
LB = Winterburn vs Kolasinac
RM = Platt vs Özil
CM = Parlour vs Ramsey
CM = Helder vs Xhaka
LM = Merson vs Miki
AT = Bergkamp vs Laca
AT = Wright vs Aubameyang

1 year on 7 of those above were still regulars for Wenger whereas only 5 or maybe 6 players will still be playing regularly for Emery this season.

This is not to knock Wenger at all, it's just to say I think some are underestimating the challenge Emery has.

One thing that is indisputable is that Wenger took the players and made them better - and a lot of that would be down to training, but don't also forget that many of the team he inherited had bad diets and drank after games...so he brought something new to the Premiership...that's something Emery cannot do as today all teams are working to the 'latest and greatest' ideas.

Also, those first transfers he brought in (again, in the days before the overseas leagues had been 'mined' and the bloated fees we see today) were amazing. Vieira, Anelka, Overmars, Petit - but again, Emery is working in a market that the dirty Russian money has broken...is that his fault?

So, in summary - I'm not saying Emery is great or knocking anything Wenger did - I'm just saying Emery has a huge task and we need to be patient. We should be behind him and the players (within reason) during this transitional period.

I thank you for taking the time to read this, and for any input to the thread should you wish to reply. I also apologise if this has been posted in the wrong place! :)

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
We are a mere 4 points behind Man City aka “The Greatest Team Evuur (TM)” but I think the main reason 4th is mentioned is that people are screaming Emery Out!!! As if we are languishing 4 points adrift at the foot of the table.

Does Emery deserves criticism - 100% sure

Should he be sacked with immediate effect? - 100% no

Have some perspective people :lol:
Spot on. He’s above United, Chelsea and Sp**s at the moment :eek:

Let’s see what happens from here when Tierney and Bellerin return.

If he drops down the table that’s the time to call for his head.

Steps

First - thanks for the post.

Second, I don't think anyone is saying Emery doesn't have a challenge. What we are saying is that, regardless of those struggles his tactical decisions have been mind-boggling at best.
  • Regularly sits our highest-paid player who is still massively skilled, regardless of his decline in the past years.
  • Shows little ambition in capitalizing on the weakness in other teams. See last nights selection of midfielders
  • Makes substitutions that make even the most casual of fans shake their head
  • Etc.
Someone posted where we'd be without Auba so far this season and the number is shocking. We'd be at 3 points. 3. The Arsenal, fighting for relegation. I know he has struggles, but my God man, this is beyond enough. We need someone with some gumption, someone who is strong enough to impose their will on the squad and on the game. Right now it feels like we have someone who is more content trying to play safe and scrape by.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Looking at the bigger picture nothing has changed since our dreadful season finish.
We drew against the worst team in the league,
we barely scraped a win against poor Newcastle. We were in trouble against Villa, Tottenham and Burnley where only brilliancy of individuals saved our ass. Imagine if Auba was injured, we would be fighting relegation. I won't even mention the Liverpool game.
Our game is getting worse and worse.
How anyone can believe that Emery can turn this around is beyond me.
The guy has been here almost a year and a half and no one knows what kind of football he wants us to play.
I never said he would turn it around and said in a later post once you accept he is a care taker life suddenly becomes easier. We havent regressed the way United did post Ferguson, there is an argument we improved marginally and so far this season out of the other six we are third, and overall 4th in the league.

Aubameyang isnt injured. So less of the if your granny had balls arguments. He is fit and doing what he is paid well to do. More players will return and the expectation is surely when they return things will get better not worse. And failing that accept Emery will go and that he is only here for the post Wenger transition which is nearly over. Weve rebuilt behind the scenes and nearly rebuilt the Xi.

Morning_woody

We are in top 4 after 7 games, Laca out, Pepe hasn’t hit any kind of form yet, we are blooding youngsters, we’ve got 3 of our main defenders just returning from injury! Why the doom & gloom all the time? Pretty football doesn’t always win games, lets see where we are come May

Why doom and gloom
? Because nothing has changed since our dreadful season finish
We are getting points because Auba is in form, we are conceding goals same way we did last season. He has given captaincy to a guy who should only start in Carabao and Europa League at best i could understand your argument if there was some progress in our game at least, but there's nothing. In fact we are only getting worse and worse

goonergaz

Didnt read it all but emery would get more people behind him if he wasnt such a negative manager, worst thing is he has made us worse defensively despite being a boring manager, at the very least we should have a clue on how to defend
We seem to be having half decent spells, so all is not lost. The 2nd half wasn't all that bad, and when we scored we had them against the ropes...but then a point at Manure and 4th after 7 games (having played 3 of the "top 6" and 2 of those away (including one of the top 2)) is not to be sniffed at. We can get better.

First - thanks for the post.

Second, I don't think anyone is saying Emery doesn't have a challenge. What we are saying is that, regardless of those struggles his tactical decisions have been mind-boggling at best.
  • Regularly sits our highest-paid player who is still massively skilled, regardless of his decline in the past years.
  • Shows little ambition in capitalizing on the weakness in other teams. See last nights selection of midfielders
  • Makes substitutions that make even the most casual of fans shake their head
  • Etc.
Someone posted where we'd be without Auba so far this season and the number is shocking. We'd be at 3 points. 3. The Arsenal, fighting for relegation. I know he has struggles, but my God man, this is beyond enough. We need someone with some gumption, someone who is strong enough to impose their will on the squad and on the game. Right now it feels like we have someone who is more content trying to play safe and scrape by.
Pretty much what I said above. Regarding Özil, there's clearly something going on - it's sad and been compounded by Pepe being so average (so far). I think you're spot on though, we lack that killer instinct and even when 2-0 up you feel the opposition has a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art.
When you read some books they are fantastic, the writer touches something in you that you know you would not have brought out of yourself. He makes you discover something interesting in your life.
If you are living like an animal, what is the point of living? What makes daily life interesting is that we try to transform it to something that is close to art. And football is like that.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Wednesday, June 5

Benjamin Šeško is essentially top of Arsenal’s list of striker targets, but no official moves have been made yet [David Ornstein - The Athletic]

Arsenal have scouted Benfica midfielder Joao Neves, but nothing is advanced at this stage [Fabrizio Romano]

Left-back is an area of focus for Arsenal in this summer’s window [The Athletic]

Latest posts

Top Bottom