• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
If he brings Henry with him, I’ll take him!

giphy.gif

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Surprised Poch isn't waiting for United job

Id love it if we got him though

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Last 5 years in terms of squad cost:
2018/19: Finished 4th (8th highest SC)
2017/18: Finished 3rd (7th highest SC)
2016/17: Finished 2nd (6th highest SC)
2015/16: Finished 3rd (7th highest SC)
2014/15: Finished 5th (6th highest SC)

In all but one season he outperformed his squad cost rating by four places. Surely that deserves massive credit?
1) Spendwise, Sp**s were 7th this year and have been 6th for the 4 years before
https://football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2019/wp266/en/

2) Wenger achieved those figures with even lower spend and by 2015/16 our fans were screaming at him that 'Top 4 is not a trophy.' Now suddenly a manager like that with another club is the best thing since sliced bread.

3) Those finishes, out performing his spend position, are more likely because of a fluke . . . a 3 times golden boot winner who cost absolutely nothing! How often has that happened?

Anyway fantastic to see someone using a squad cost argument to justify their position. My work is done.:lol:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Seriously hoping Levy burnt enough bridges with Poch. Hopefully his wife and kids are in his ear how happy they are in London. Also hope we offer him a pay check he can't turn down.

Theres a lot of hope, but let's go after him.

I’ll post Gdeeps nudes if we sign Poch.

vpghEcG.png

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Surprised Poch isn't waiting for United job

Id love it if we got him though

They’ve improved a bit in the league recently, he might not be sure that Ole gets the sack.

Even if he does, whilst they have financial power we might be closer to competing.

Also he’s relying on Ed Woodward to do what he’s never done and actually back his managers.

NZgunner

I'm not sure about Pochettino.

He was an exceptionally good manager at Sp**s, and they played some great football. But then it stagnated and even under Emery we looked better than them for a large chunk of last season and the beginning of this one.

From what I've read it sounds like his methods (eg double training sessions) are something that just couldn't be sustained without regularly refreshing the squad - something Sp**s didn't do for two years. The players didn't hate him, some of them just couldn't maintain what they'd been giving for the last few years.

The worry I'd have is that the players who couldn't thrive under him aren't necessarily the players who we need to move on - eg Xhaka apparently trains hard, Lacazette isn't renowned for his stamina. The squad needs significant work in midfield and defence already, to craft it around Pochettino's needs might be a massive project.

Having said that, even with Kroenke in charge, Arsenal would still provide that regular investment that Sp**s didn't so Pochettino could do well in the longer term - and he gave young players at Sp**s a chance so the likes of Willock, Martinelli and Saka could continue their development here with confidence.

But even if we did want him, I don't think we're the challenge he wants, and with Solskjaer only a loss or two from getting the sack I'd be pretty confident that Pochettino has his eyes firmly on Manchester.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

1) Spendwise, Sp**s were 7th this year and have been 6th for the 4 years before
https://football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2019/wp266/en/

2) Wenger achieved those figures with even lower spend and by 2015/16 our fans were screaming at him that 'Top 4 is not a trophy.' Now suddenly a manager like that with another club is the best thing since sliced bread.

3) Those finishes, out performing his spend position, are more likely because of a fluke . . . a 3 times golden boot winner that cost absolutely nothing! How often has that happened?

https://www.transferleague.co.uk/homepage/uncategorised/squad-cost-comparisons

I was going off the values here, either one could be more accurate. Even if your ones are correct which they might not be, he’s still overperformed at a consistent rate.

You can’t actually be arguing it’s a fluke just because the numbers don’t back you up :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I’ve told Dave to cut off his ponytail. I think it makes him less aerodynamic.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom