• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life After Emery Begins

Would you be satisfied with hiring Mikel Arteta?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Well said, i think we can just forget names like Enrique, Allegri, Ancelotti, Conte, Ten Hag, Simoene, Jardim or Rodgers becoming our next manager. We are simply far too cheap to attract any top class manager, i also think it`s unlikely that the board are willing to payout a contract clause for a manager.

What makes me so fkn mad is the fact that Luis Enrique - and not Emery would have been selected as a successor to Wenger if the the owners & the board had been more competent and more ambitious.
The fact we went for Emery as 1st choice straight after Wenger says it all I reckon actually. In order to start competing with City, Leicester & Liverpool again we need to get a top manager back in. Still, thats not to say someone like Freddie or Arteta will never prove to get us back up there.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Out of left field, I'd also take a Jardim (Monaco isn't playing well, but it's mostly down to them gutting themselves of their best talents: Bernardo Silva, Moutinho, Fabinho, Mbapé, Sidibé, even Bakayoko, Tielemans to name a few) or a Gallardo.

Dude we are in the exact same situation as Monaco...... we are struggling ATM precisely because we let Ramsey/Kos/Monreal/Mkhi/Iwobi leave us and brought poorly in terms of replacements. We need to go through a massive period of rebuilding and we need a manager who can stand up to Raul's incompetence which is why Allegri is attractive.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
We had a similar long shortlist post Wenger didn’t we?

the more managers we consider and interview the more we confuse ourselves. The more it is likely that we will make a mistake again..

Pochettino, Rodgers and Arteta. The only three people we need to consider and contact because they cover all basis..

If you want an experienced manager with a proven record and knows the premier league go for Poch and Rodgers.

if you want a young manager who has Arsenal DNA and has worked closely with an elite manager in the premier league then Arteta is the man.

Arteta got No frekkin Arsenal DNA

The stuff he learned with Pep is a far cry from what we can do now with our squad

ChefMan21

I don't actually have any issue with a 12 man shortlist - we should be considering all suitably qualified prospects to find the best candidates to take forward to interview and assessment. If it's every one on the poll list in this thread, plus names like Conte, ten Hag, Gallardo, Ragnick, as well as a couple of left field candidates like Xabi Alonso and Xavi, then that's a great pool to pick from. Basically have a top 20 and shrink it. Anything more is death by inclusion, whereas if you're not considering people like Conte, ten Hag, Ragnick and Gallardo, it really could be death by exclusion. We're a big club, we should be able to look at 20 CVs plus supporting documents to get a feel real quick of who we might want to take to assessment and interview.

One of the things I'd like the top 3-5 candidates to do is to present their vision and plan to the players. There's no sense in having an executive want something the players can't get behind; we have neither the time or financial resources to change the playing group in such a way for that to happen. Perhaps put a percentage weighting on that component?

scytheavatar

Established Member
Love to know why you think this?
Arteta loves Arsenal. Was his boyhood dream to captain this side and he left here in a state of absolute tears for achieving it.

Dude has more loyalty to City than to us...... while we are burning Arteta is there helping one of our rivals develop their players and make the wall we need to climb taller. Wenger offered a coaching job to him and he turned his nose on the idea of that. Meanwhile Ljungberg is here trying to help put to fire away, and some of you guys want him gone.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I just can't see the allure of Allegri. Speaks practically no English, doesn't know the league and is a defensive minded manager.

The Italian league is probably the league that is the most different from the Premier League of the big leagues, his success there might not be easily translated to us.

I just see this as a manager that will struggle with transitioning to Arsenal.

We need someone that can come in and connect with the board, players and fans from day 1. Ideally someone that is committed to attacking football.

That would fit better with Arteta, Pochettino or Brenda. Neither of whom might be available, until the summer or at all.

scytheavatar

Established Member
I just can't see the allure of Allegri. Speaks practically no English, doesn't know the league and is a defensive minded manager.

The Italian league is probably the league that is the most different from the Premier League of the big leagues, his success there might not be easily translated to us.

I just see this as a manager that will struggle with transitioning to Arsenal.

We need someone that can come in and connect with the board, players and fans from day 1. Ideally someone that is committed to attacking football.

That would fit better with Arteta, Pochettino or Brenda. Neither of whom might be available, until the summer or at all.

We get a manager who can connect with the fans from day 1....... only to face the exact same problems that sank Emery. Mainly the fact that our current squad isn't good at all. It will take a while and many transfer windows to fix our problems, and that's where Allegri is promising. He'll fight Raul to get the players he needs, while someone like Arteta is likely to become a yes man for Raul.

clovis

Arteta got No frekkin Arsenal DNA

The stuff he learned with Pep is a far cry from what we can do now with our squad

Why not? He spent 5 years at the club and was the captain. He also forged a close relationship with Wenger.

the only reason he left for City is because they offered him to be the #2 behind Pep while Arsenal offered him to work with a bunch of mediocre academy players.

it is quite ironic that City believed in his capabilities more than the club where he spent 5 years and was the captain.

We should have made him #2 ahead of City and it would have allowed us to replace Wenger internally in 2018 without any fuss.

as far the notion that he cannot replicate here what we learned from Pep, well that is true for every manager.

Arsenal fans don’t want to admit it but our squad is garbage and we don’t have a single world class player who is good enough for the the top sides.

no matter who comes he will have to make make major changes and wait for a few years before he can show major improvement.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Dude has more loyalty to City than to us...... while we are burning Arteta is there helping one of our rivals develop their players and make the wall we need to climb taller. Wenger offered a coaching job to him and he turned his nose on the idea of that. Meanwhile Ljungberg is here trying to help put to fire away, and some of you guys want him gone.
First off, I never suggested getting rid of Freddie, just that he isn't the long term option the board view..
Secondly, Arteta wanted to work here, you clearly admit that. He was not given the job and thus chose to work for city. What should he have done? Put his career on hold until Arsenal offer him a job again. Silly reasoning there which has nothing to do with his love for Arsenal... Who would give up on the chance to work with pep as their first job in coaching. Don't be foolish.

mma

I just can't see the allure of Allegri. Speaks practically no English
I just don't see this as big of an issue. Pochettino spoke no English when he came. Conte and Sarri were in the same boat as Allegri.

I'll say this again - I don't think it's true that speaking English was Emery's issue. I'm not a native speaker and I could understand everything he was saying. I think his tactical instructions were confusing (pushing Torreira so much forward, leaving the defense exposed etc) and his communication, as in relationship, with players and the whole environment was nonexistent.

Allegri is not like that. He's a very funny and intelligent person. He's very easy to like and doesn't program every player's movement. He gives them freedom.

doesn't know the league
This is completely irrelevant. Conte, Ancelotti, Pep, Klopp, Mourinho etc. didn't know the league either when they first came. If anything it's a positive because those people can bring some fresh ideas and different approach than others.

and is a defensive minded manager.
This is a myth. He doesn't have a set approach. His Juventus teams played attacking, counter-attacking, possession, deep block, short passing, direct passing...everything. He completely creates everything around his player's strengths and doesn't force them into anything. Yeah, sometimes he'll defend a lead or play for draw against City or Liverpool, he'll be pragmatic about it and I can understand if someone doesn't like that, but it's not true he's defense first, concede 60% possession etc.

OK, what about CL then? It's not like Juventus never stepped outside Italy or played any English teams. His biggest achievement at Juve was making them a European giant again because they were a joke before him for 12 years.

We need someone that can come in and connect with the board, players and fans from day 1.
Trust me, if Allegri comes you'll learn to love him very soon. Perception people have of him and the reality is completely different.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
I basically haven't but see people saying this. Can you outline what you mean?
Even though Juve had by far the most superior team in the land, and no other club was ever seriously going to challenge them, his team still barely outplayed any of their opposition. They played it very safe and slow and it is my main concern of him coming to England. Seria A is the slowest league of those top5, and his team was right there on that average. As smart as Allegri is, I am afraid PL would be a big shock to him with it's intensity, energy and pace of the league, where he is used to (and liked it) slow tempo and having pragmatic approach.

He is a good step in coach, like Conte, who would come in, know what and who he wants to play, bin some players and get few faces he needs in. Would make us at least look organized on the pitch, but he ain't your long term coach. Still, I wouldn't truly mind that, if it wasn't for all this concern that PL might shock him, especially if he takes over in the middle of the season, team that struggles and atmosphere that is toxic.

I see it as a huge risk, language not helping at all.

mma

We get a manager who can connect with the fans from day 1....... only to face the exact same problems that sank Emery. Mainly the fact that our current squad isn't good at all. It will take a while and many transfer windows to fix our problems, and that's where Allegri is promising. He'll fight Raul to get the players he needs, while someone like Arteta is likely to become a yes man for Raul.
Yes, this is spot on.

Allegri doesn't really need Arsenal and by all accounts he doesn't really want the job desperately, if at all. So if he actually comes in that would mean the board agreed to his requests to spend money and buy players he wants and they convinced him it's the right fit.

Whether you want Allegri or not I think we can all agree that'd be a huge positive.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Arsenal fans don’t want to admit it but our squad is garbage and we don’t have a single world class player who is good enough for the the top sides.
Att the beginning of the season I would have gone at you for this statement but it is actually true. Even PEA isn't truly world class. Awesome finisher and a true goal scorer but severely lacks an all round game to compliment it.

scytheavatar

Established Member
First off, I never suggested getting rid of Freddie, just that he isn't the long term option the board view..
Secondly, Arteta wanted to work here, you clearly admit that. He was not given the job and thus chose to work for city. What should he have done? Put his career on hold until Arsenal offer him a job again. Silly reasoning there which has nothing to do with his love for Arsenal... Who would give up on the chance to work with pep as their first job in coaching. Don't be foolish.

Arteta should leave City and go manage a team like Everton. He's wasting his time if he thinks working with Guardiola allows him to learn how to be Guardiola. He is not Guardiola, and it's impossible to learn how to be a good manager by hiding behind someone else. His attitude towards being a manager is disappointing and makes me think he's going to collapse mentally when the arrows start raining down on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

One of the things I discovered in Japan was from watching sumo wrestling. At the end you can never tell who has won the fight, and who has lost, because they do not show their emotion because it could embarrass the loser. It is unbelievable. That is why I try to teach my team politeness. It is only here in England that everybody pokes their tongue out when they win.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Thursday, May 23

Arsenal have agreed to part ways with midfielder Sambi Lokonga following talks with the player [Evening Standard]

Arsenal are likely to be priced out of a move for Sporting Lisbon’s £86m striker Viktor Gyokeres [Football Insider]

Arsenal are considering a move for Feyenoord GK Justin Bijlow as a replacement for Aaron Ramsdale [Sam Dean - The Telegraph]

Ajax LB Jorrel Hato remains the club’s top defensive target [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Top Bottom