• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

ojyhdox.png

Just enjoy the win mate, go out on the town and get hammered or something ;)
Under Emery we were winning games by statistically over-achieving. Not going to let myself get suckered in again. I'll be checking xG regularly.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

You could see from the first game against bournemouth that the players believed in themselves again. The team was trying to force the Arsenal way of playing through Bournemouth’s throat. This is not a new manager effect, you can see Arteta’s ideas clearly come through. And you have to remember he’s doing it with a squad that was not assembled for him, that has a lot of injuries. Imagine what he could do if he spends more time with these players, and adds a few from his own wishlist.

razörist

Under Emery we were winning games by statistically over-achieving. Not going to let myself get suckered in again. I'll be checking xG regularly.
I think xG will suffer for a while still with our mistake prone players.

benjamin86

Established Member
You could see from the first game against bournemouth that the players believed in themselves again. The team was trying to force the Arsenal way of playing through Bournemouth’s throat. This is not a new manager effect, you can see Arteta’s ideas clearly come through. And you have to remember he’s doing it with a squad that was not assembled for him, that has a lot of injuries. Imagine what he could do if he spends more time with these players, and adds a few from his own wishlist.
With everyone fit i'm interested to see what happens! Does Bellerin take his place back? does AMN play in MF? I think Tierney will be amazing under Arteta.

razörist

With everyone fit i'm interested to see what happens! Does Bellerin take his place back? does AMN play in MF? I think Tierney will be amazing under Arteta.
Tierney is a no brainer I think but with Hector idk anymore. Again, clean slate for all, its tough for Hector with all these injuries.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

How is xG worked out?
Basically looks at the quality of shots your players took in a game by comparing each shot to a historical database of of other shots taken from the same position, angle, levels of defensive pressure etc. and then works out how often said shot would lead to a goal.

The higher quality the shot, the higher its xG score. They final xG is a sum of the xG of each shot the team took during the game.

I've always thought it's a weird stat, certain players are way more clinical in certain positions and if you have very good strikers surely you would expect to out perform xG?
Yeah, clinical or very talented players often outperform their xG. Vardy is the best at this right now and Hazard was also quite good at this as he tended to score goals that were very difficult to execute.

benjamin86

Established Member
Basically looks at the quality of shots your players took in a game by comparing each shot to a historical database of of other shots taken from the same position, angle, levels of defensive pressure etc. and then works out how often said shot would lead to a goal.

The higher quality the shot, the higher its xG score. They final xG is a sum of the xG of each shot the team took during the game.

Yeah, clinical or very talented players often outperform their xG. Vardy is the best at this right now and Hazard was also quite good at this as he tended to score worldies.
So better teams with more clinical players should expect to out perform xG?

benjamin86

Established Member

Yeah, clinical or very talented players often outperform their xG. Vardy is the best at this right now and Hazard was also quite good at this as he tended to score goals that were very difficult to execute.
Do you know how key passes and chance creation work? (i like stats but i've always wondered about the more subjective elements of them)

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

So better teams with more clinical players should expect to out perform xG?
Not as much as you'd think.

Even the best goalscorers get most of their goals from high xG chances due to their movement, teammates and talent. Look at Auba and his tap ins for example.

Arsenal Quotes

It was a unique moment, a football fairytale. Was there anyone left who still believed I could give that kind of performance? Probably only Arsène Wenger.

Per Mertesacker on Arsenal’s FA Cup Final win over Chelsea on 2017 being his only appearance that season
Top Bottom