• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Unpopular Opinion Thread

roz

Fake News Merchant
Guendouzi is also very overrated. He imo was just as bad as Willock last night if not worse and is not getting half the criticism Willock is getting..
I like him for the reasons already mentioned. Not surprised we looked worse when he went off.

roz

Fake News Merchant
Haven’t liked his attitude since doing that 2-1 hand gesture at Watford and eventually jinxed it
Yeah he’s a bit of a ****.
You need players like that though, every top team has them. United used to be made up almost entirely of them.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
How so? We had 5 players from the academy contributing yesterday. We just sold one player for 40 M last summer that came through from the academy. Juventus and Barcelona have recently take a punt on players from our academy. We had 4 players in top100 youth talents voted by journalists this year. And foreign clubs are constantly scouting our academy and sniffing around our players. Its probably one of the better academies in Europe at the moment.
If anything, the opposite is true. My unpopular opinion is that too many fans blame the younger players when they are not the problem and they are better than people think they are.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
If FFP is being relaxed, I would honestly use that money to end contracts early and make a lot of people free agents. I do not trust this club to spend wisely on transfer targets but seeing the end of Raul, Özil, Mkhi, Mustafi, Kolasinac, Xhaka, Sokratis and Lacazette would certainly be a productive summer.

If anything, the opposite is true. My unpopular opinion is that too many fans blame the younger players when they are not the problem and they are better than people think they are.

Actually, when I think about it, it is a popular opinion on here that our academy is not up to the standard. And as you say, an unpopular opinion that its good.

I think our academy is the third-best in England and with the best academies in Europe for sure. When the current generation(Nelson, Nketiah) etc, it was the best generation in the country at that moment.

It has been improving steadily in recent years but with Raul now letting all the local scouts go it could be worry and put us behind again.

roz

Fake News Merchant
They aren’t the problem exclusively. There are so many factors as to why we’re in such a mess.

i agree they take way too much heat in general. Thats what happens when you have no real leaders in the team, they need good professionals around them in order to thrive. We simply dont have any.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Actually, when I think about it, it is a popular opinion on here that our academy is not up to the standard. And as you say, an unpopular opinion that its good.

I think our academy is the third-best in England and with the best academies in Europe for sure. When the current generation(Nelson, Nketiah) etc, it was the best generation in the country at that moment.

It has been improving steadily in recent years but with Raul now letting all the local scouts go it could be worry and put us behind.
Our 99-02 generation is pretty decent all things considering. We have a handful of potential first-teamers who with the right opportunities and guidance could go on to be top players. However, I don't think they've been given enough to succeed yet. Arteta's not done too badly so far, but I'm worried about the positions he wants to play some of them in to accommodate the experienced dross - a mistake that's been repeated by more than one manager in the last 5 years.

It's very popular to **** on the youngsters - every year it's the same thing, one of the reasons I've always defended them, a lot of the time on my own even! :lol:. People love Saka now, but forget that in the middle of the season they were already turning on him, just like they do with Willock, Nelson and Nketiah now. These guys were the PL2 champions and came very close to winning the U18 PL South (Chelsea were the most dominant, along with City who knocked us out of the cup). 2 years later, we actually DID win the PL South, and some of those players should be getting ready to come up now. So to act like our academy is poor is ignorant.

I wouldn't worry too much about the scouts we've lost if I'm honest. As much as we're all very down about the club's brass, I'm quite confident that Per and Lucassen are good characters to have and that recruitment at that level will actually improve as time goes on. I feel sympathy for the scouts that lost their jobs though, that's gotta suck.

They aren’t the problem exclusively. There are so many factors as to why we’re in such a mess.

i agree they take way too much heat in general. Thats what happens when you have no real leaders in the team, they need good professionals around them in order to thrive. We simply dont have any.
More importantly, they're part of the solution. We keep half assing it with them and wondering why they have no momentum and don't contribute right away, and then wonder why we can't sell for decent fees either (Iwobi notwithstanding). Right now, they are our most powerful resource and we aren't getting anywhere near what we could out of them, either as assets to the team or assets to sell. We should be using them a lot more than we do, instead of sticking with the same experienced trash every game. They are very far from the problem.

roz

Fake News Merchant
Our 99-02 generation is pretty decent all things considering. We have a handful of potential first-teamers who with the right opportunities and guidance could go on to be top players. However, I don't think they've been given enough to succeed yet. Arteta's not done too badly so far, but I'm worried about the positions he wants to play some of them in to accommodate the experienced dross - a mistake that's been repeated by more than one manager in the last 5 years.

It's very popular to **** on the youngsters - every year it's the same thing, one of the reasons I've always defended them, a lot of the time on my own even! :lol:. People love Saka now, but forget that in the middle of the season they were already turning on him, just like they do with Willock, Nelson and Nketiah now. These guys were the PL2 champions and came very close to winning the U18 PL South (Chelsea were the most dominant, along with City who knocked us out of the cup). 2 years later, we actually DID win the PL South, and some of those players should be getting ready to come up now. So to act like our academy is poor is ignorant.

I wouldn't worry too much about the scouts we've lost if I'm honest. As much as we're all very down about the club's brass, I'm quite confident that Per and Lucassen are good characters to have and that recruitment at that level will actually improve as time goes on. I feel sympathy for the scouts that lost their jobs though, that's gotta suck.

More importantly, they're part of the solution. We keep half assing it with them and wondering why they have no momentum and don't contribute right away, and then wonder why we can't sell for decent fees either (Iwobi notwithstanding). Right now, they are our most powerful resource and we aren't getting anywhere near what we could out of them, either as assets to the team or assets to sell. We should be using them a lot more than we do, instead of sticking with the same experienced trash every game. They are very far from the problem.
Great post even if I dont rate some of the youth as highly as you. Would much rather we went through the rest of this season using only them with a supplement of the more “experienced” players.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

What’s the scholar situation like? Patino, Hutchinson, Flores, Edwards, Awe, Monlouis, Foran, Kirk. Not sure if they’re all eligible yet but they’re the most talented of the next gen IMO. Four CB’s there as well!

Last edited:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
What’s the scholar situation like? Hutchinson, Flores, Edwards, Awe, Monlouis, Foran, Kirk. Not sure if they’re all eligible yet but they’re the most talented of the next gen IMO. Four CB’s there as well!
We've lost Joao Virginia's brother but he wasn't playing much anyway. I haven't heard much noise about anybody not signing on but the group as it stands looks like. Matthew Dennis is also leaving, which is a shame.

Kirk I think is already a scholar but I reckon he'll turn pro eventually as he's been OK.

All the guys you mentioned are still schoolboys (so is Patino) so they'll most likely become scholars next season. Norton-Cuffy, Sagoe Jnr, Bandeira, Vigar and Sweet will most likely also be scholars aswell. We could potentially have a HUGE intake next season and they do look like they could be the best group yet. Really looking forward to seeing more of Marcelo Flores and Omari Hutchinson - Hutchinson's shooting is out of this world! Everyone I know who've seen this group reckons they're super strong. Think only Chelsea's is better (as usual).

Haha yeah even last weak most were positive about youth players on here but it quickly change after loss yesterday against probabily one of the greatest team ever assembled.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We've lost Joao Virginia's brother but he wasn't playing much anyway. I haven't heard much noise about anybody not signing on but the group as it stands looks like. Matthew Dennis is also leaving, which is a shame.

Kirk I think is already a scholar but I reckon he'll turn pro eventually as he's been OK.

All the guys you mentioned are still schoolboys (so is Patino) so they'll most likely become scholars next season. Norton-Cuffy, Sagoe Jnr, Bandeira, Vigar and Sweet will most likely also be scholars aswell. We could potentially have a HUGE intake next season and they do look like they could be the best group yet. Really looking forward to seeing more of Marcelo Flores and Omari Hutchinson - Hutchinson's shooting is out of this world! Everyone I know who've seen this group reckons they're super strong. Think only Chelsea's is better (as usual).
Chelsea nicked one of our young strikers a few months back, think the lad is 14/15.

MATHEO

Yes our youngsters are very overhyped by our fanbase, in terms of talent they are nowhere near young Cesc, RVP, Jack ... etc, some would argue that they are less talented than the likes of Pennant and Bentley. With the exception of Saka who impressed the most by far, I dont think many has the potential to grow into a world class player or even a starter for a top side.

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off
Yes our youngsters are very overhyped by our fanbase, in terms of talent they are nowhere near young Cesc, RVP, Jack ... etc, some would argue that they are less talented than the likes of Pennant and Bentley. With the exception of Saka who impressed the most by far, I dont think many has the potential to grow into a world class player or even a starter for a top side.
Well said..

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Despite being two of our biggest d*ckheads of the century, Adebayor and Nasri are still two of my favourite players of the century and certainly the Emirates era. Ignoring what happened later on, I loved them at Arsenal.

Didn't know so much about Abebayor when he was in France, I just remember him coming from seemingly nowhere and being this complete striker. That 07/08 season is up there with the best seasons of any forward in our history.

As for Nasri, I loved him even before he came here. I remember vividly he had this almost mythological rise in Marseille, crowned Zidane's heir from very early on. I couldn't believe it when we signed him, apart from the Özil signing, Nasri was the last time I think we really signed a sought-after young exciting attacking player. It was so exciting.

There are many 'what ifs' in Arsenal history. But the 'what if Adebayor and Nasri weren't d*ckheads' is a big one for me.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Despite being two of our biggest d*ckheads of the century, Adebayor and Nasri are still two of my favourite players of the century and certainly the Emirates era. Ignoring what happened later on, I loved them at Arsenal.

Didn't know so much about Abebayor when he was in France, I just remember him coming from seemingly nowhere and being this complete striker. That 07/08 season is up there with the best seasons of any forward in our history.

As for Nasri, I loved him even before he came here. I remember vividly he had this almost mythological rise in Marseille, crowned Zidane's heir from very early on. I couldn't believe it when we signed him, apart from the Özil signing, Nasri was the last time I think we really signed a sought-after young exciting attacking player. It was so exciting.

There are many 'what ifs' in Arsenal history. But the 'what if Adebayor and Nasri weren't d*ckheads' is a big one for me.
The signing of Nasri was ****. It dragged on for 3 months and he was so underwhelming for the most part.

Bear in mind we had lost Hleb, Flamini, Gilberto and Diarra from our midfield and we only signed this young kid who flattered to deceive.

Arsenal Quotes

I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art.
When you read some books they are fantastic, the writer touches something in you that you know you would not have brought out of yourself. He makes you discover something interesting in your life.
If you are living like an animal, what is the point of living? What makes daily life interesting is that we try to transform it to something that is close to art. And football is like that.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom