• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Rúnar Alex Rúnarsson

Status
Not open for further replies.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
listen none of us know if he is going to be great or ****. What we do know is that he doesn’t have a solid body of work for us to assess his competence at this level (excluding national team appearances)

My perspective is if we are going to go with the unknown at least give one of our academy players the first opportunity rather than bring in someone who arguably is at a similar level at a fee and increased wage compared to our academy products. That is my reason why I am not for this deal.

He's a place holder for Oknonkwo who is returning after missing a year, but is very highly thought of. Sadly Macey is pony with the ball at his feet, and lacks top level reflexes.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Will this be the first Icelandic players to play for us, anyone remember any others?
Siggi Jonsson - decent player but only played 8 times for us and had to retire at the top level due to a back injury - made a comeback at a slightly lower level later. A shame - had talent but his career was destroyed by injury. I remember he looked like he could be a decent player for us after a good stint at Sheffield Wednesday.

Preacher

Always Crying
It's a fake screenshot. Very easy to make one:
download.png
Suprise suprise, Metro is useless:lol:

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I'll put this point here, because Emi thread is closed now.

Emi said in the farewell video that Arsenal tried to retain him, but Arteta and the club understood Emi's decision and they respected it. And that if you give everything to Arsenal, they respect it.

So how many here would have forced Emi to stay at Arsenal because he has 2 years in contract, if he wanted to leave now?

Arteta has also said that he wants committed players, and a player who is forced against his will won't be that.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Last edited:
Reactions: A_G

Thanks for the info.

Just out of curiosity, do Icelandic football fans put Gylfi Sigurðsson / Eiður Guðjohnsen near the top when it comes to the Icelandic GOAT these days?

Oh yeah, Eiður, I forgot about him, he is such a ****. Tried to attack me once at Þjóðhátíð í eyjum(festival) in my family tent because he was so drunk and I tried to take a picture of him.

But yeah Eiður is probably the GOAT, the other two Albert Guðmundsson and Ásgeir Sigurvinsson was before my time but they are usually talked about like some gods by the older folks.

Not sure where Gylfi will be ranked. Such a boring player and boring character, not sure he has the charisma alongside with his ability to be remembered as one of the greats. But that's just my opinion. After all, he did lead alongside Aron Gunnarsson the team to its first worlds and euro tournaments.

Last edited:

GoonerBoy19

Is this really the backup GK the club has locked onto though? First it was Raya discussed, then this potential 1.5m signing, but I would guess there would be many more potential backup GK’s the club will be considering also. Not really worth getting worked up about really. This is a minor signing, with somewhat of a calculated risk over Leno staying injury free for the sake of prioritising CM signing(s).

I think we will wait till we clear some non HG players. It wouldn't make sense of signing him for such low cost if we cant clear Sokratis,Torreira and Kolasinac. We wont be able to sign any non HG player in that case.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Oh yeah, Eiður, I forgot about him, he is such a ****. Tried to attack me once at Þjóðhátíð í eyjum(festival) in my family tent because he was so drunk and I tried to take a picture of him.

But yeah Eiður is probably the GOAT, the other two Albert Guðmundsson and Ásgeir Sigurvinsson was before my time but they are usually talked about like some gods by the older folks.

Not sure where Gylfi will be ranked. Such a boring player and boring character, not sure he has the charisma alongside with his ability to be remembered as one of the greats. But that's just my opinion. After all, he did lead alongside Aron Gunnarsson the team to its first worlds and euro tournaments.

It's a shame you had that bad experience with Guðjohnsen, hopefully it was just an alcohol related thing and he's not a massive **** normally. It's enough to put you off him though, I'm sure.

It sounds like Albert Guðmundsson and Ásgeir Sigurvinsson must have been pretty good players If they're rated so highly by the older generation.

I think Gylfi is a decent Premier League player, but dull is probably the best word to describe him. His set pieces are pretty good though.

It's pretty remarkable how well Iceland have done over recent years, given your poulation size, not just to qualify for major tournaments but to go toe to toe with some really good sides too, as well as knocking us out of the Euro's, of course. I imagine there was a great celebration in Iceland when you pulled that result off!

It seems like from an outsider perspective that this has been a Golden Generation for Icelandic football, at least in terms of results.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Wasn't there a rumour that Gudjohnsen got drunk with John Terry (obviously) and made fun of American tourists in London not long after 9/11 happened?

Look it up, this is true...Lampard was there too, scumbags.

It seems like from an outsider perspective that this has been a Golden Generation for Icelandic football, at least in terms of results.

We celebrated that win against England just like we destroyed England in the cod wars.

Yeah, this might be the golden generation but there are high hopes for the next generation. Eiður Guðjohnsen son, Andri Lucas I think is playing for Real Madrid youth teams and then there is a kid in Sweden called Ísak who has been linked with Juventus recently.

We usually do better in Handball than Football. There is a new generation coming through there which are high hopes for.

Wasn't there a rumour that Gudjohnsen got drunk with John Terry (obviously) and made fun of American tourists in London not long after 9/11 happened?

Alcohol problems, gambling problems, and the girl he was with when in our tent probably cocaine problem too, divorce. Think he went bankrupt after his career was done. Only Blow and wolf of wall street have worse ending. Very sad. He worked at TV here in Iceland in recent years but is now coaching FH and u-18 Iceland I think. Hopefully, he manages to turn it around!

I never got so lucky getting filthy rich from 20-30 years old so maybe I'm not one to speak but I always think if you get rich so young you always leave something for your the latter years of your life.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
We celebrated that win against England just like we destroyed England in the cod wars.

Yeah, this might be the golden generation but there are high hopes for the next generation. Eiður Guðjohnsen son, Andri Lucas I think is playing for Real Madrid youth teams and then there is a kid in Sweden called Ísak who has been linked with Juventus recently.

We usually do better in Handball than Football. There is a new generation coming through there which are high hopes for.

I don't blame you, it wasn't like it was a fluke win either, you were just the better team on the night.

Has something gone on with the way you coach young players in Iceland or the infrastructure you have? No disrespect but it seemed like in previous generations you'd produce 1-2 decent players but the rest were usually pretty poor. Over the past decade or so it seems like you're producing quite a lot of decent to good footballers.

I don't blame you, it wasn't like it was a fluke win either, you were just the better team on the night.

Has something gone on with the way you coach young players in Iceland or the infrastructure you have? No disrespect but it seemed like in previous generations you'd produce 1-2 decent players but the rest were usually pretty poor. Over the past decade or so it seems like you're producing quite a lot of decent to good footballers.

I'm born 89 and we had to train in the winters outside on a field made out of lava. Like this:

ZreMt5ifktAqUO5kqZ9MYAKIbPNfxonW6pKAWcleTeY.jpg

Or if we practice football inside we did it on the floor like Handball players play on. This was the case for many teams, they simple couldn't train the kids over the winter so most of the year they are playing handball instead of football. Football was only viable for 3-5 months per year.

But after 2005 I think all the major teams that produce football players for Iceland to decent standard have all these inside fields with artificial grass which probably has helped these kids up their technical level to required standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

A team can attack for too long. The most opportune time for scoring is immediately after repelling an attack, because opponents are then strung out in the wrong half of the field. All the men are expected to play to plan, but not so as to stifle individuality

Herbert Chapman

Latest posts

Top Bottom