• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

When should Arsène Wenger have left ??

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
I feel like Wenger may have not truly "respected" certain positions. I think about the times it would feel like Wenger would put anyone at fullback times. I understand we had a huge number of injuries but I still feel like Coquelin, Ramsey and Koscienly had no business starting at right back in some games.

Plus, I'm not sure he knew what to do with the DM position. His quotes on Xhaka as a box to box midfielder were weird and as someone quoted earlier, he got rid of a number defensive midfielders fairly quick.

RunTheTrap

I think he didn't see them as necessary for his style of play.
And that’s one of my biggest criticisms of him. The DM position is effectively the ‘brains’ of the team. Hence why so many DMs go on to to become managers. You need an on-field manager to help manage games and follow orders. I think when pundits say “Arsenal have no leaders” they’re effectively saying this, we have no corporal to act out the lieutenant’s commands.

I know a lot of people say we never replaced Vieira but we never replaced Gilberto. Vieira’s influence was replaced by Fàbregas but we have not signed a single DM on Gilberto’s level. Flamini, Denilson, Song, Arteta, Coquelin, Frimpong (lol) and Xhaka. That list is abysmal. And we were linked with Alonso, M’Vila, Fabinho, N’Zonzi, Martinez, and Kante throughout the years. Imagine if we signed just one of those guys, you don’t think a league title isn’t available? It’s kinda funny how in the next two managers we’ve had after Wenger, both tried signing Partey. Obviously, it shows they both see what the biggest problem is in the team.

RunTheTrap

And that’s one of my biggest criticisms of him. The DM position is effectively the ‘brains’ of the team. Hence why so many DMs go on to to become managers. You need an on-field manager to help manage games and follow orders. I think when pundits say “Arsenal have no leaders” they’re effectively saying this, we have no corporal to act out the lieutenant’s commands.

I know a lot of people say we never replaced Vieira but we never replaced Gilberto. Vieira’s influence was replaced by Fàbregas but we have not signed a single DM on Gilberto’s level. Flamini, Denilson, Song, Arteta, Coquelin, Frimpong (lol) and Xhaka. That list is abysmal. And we were linked with Alonso, M’Vila, Fabinho, N’Zonzi, Martinez, and Kante throughout the years. Imagine if we signed just one of those guys, you don’t think a league title isn’t available? It’s kinda funny how in the next two managers we’ve had after Wenger, both tried signing Partey. Obviously, it shows they both see what the biggest problem is in the team.
There were countless games where Wenger would go into games with no recognisable DM. Remember when we lost to Villa at home because we started a midfield three of Rosicky, Wilshere and Ramsey?

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off
I feel like Wenger may have not truly "respected" certain positions. I think about the times it would feel like Wenger would put anyone at fullback times. I understand we had a huge number of injuries but I still feel like Coquelin, Ramsey and Koscienly had no business starting at right back in some games.

Plus, I'm not sure he knew what to do with the DM position. His quotes on Xhaka as a box to box midfielder were weird and as someone quoted earlier, he got rid of a number defensive midfielders fairly quick.
Or in 2013-14 when we played the likes of Wilshere and Podolski on the LW and said we didn't need Draxler

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Or in 2013-14 when we played the likes of Wilshere and Podolski on the LW and said we didn't need Draxler

To be fair in 2013/2014 we had a few playmakers who could play quite well outwide in Jack, Santi and Rozza...plus we had more "conventional" wide men in Theo and Ox too...plus getting Draxler in 2013, probably means no Sanchez in 2014, and Alexis is/was definitely the better player.

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off
To be fair in 2013/2014 we had a few playmakers who could play quite well outwide in Jack, Santi and Rozza...plus we had more "conventional" wide men in Theo and Ox too...plus getting Draxler in 2013, probably means no Sanchez in 2014, and Alexis is/was definitely the better player.
Very true! If we had had him in 2013/14 we may have won the league

Riou

Very true! If we had had him in 2013/14 we may have won the league

Even if we got both Özil and Higuain in 2013, I doubt we would have won the league, City and Liverpool were still better than us that year...Suarez might have been good enough to win it for us though.

I remember wanting Draxler when we were linked to him back then, looked a player with great potential.

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off
Even if we got both Özil and Higuain in 2013, I doubt we would have won the league, City and Liverpool were still better than us that year...Suarez might have been good enough to win it for us though.

I remember wanting Draxler when we were linked to him back then, looked a player with great potential.
They were better but the reality is we finished only 7 pts behind the title and were 150+ days top of the league

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
, City and Liverpool were still better than us that year...Suarez might have been good enough to win it for us though.
City maybe. But we were definitely better than Liverpool. Their midfield was dogshit. Their defense midtable at best.

They had better firepower though. They were atrocious at game management. A better midfield would seen them win the league. Games against Chelsea and Crystal Palace where they lost the league was because they couldn't manage the game.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

If we had A decent striker we'd have at least put up a proper fight.

But some of the football we played that season was just sex on the beach

Riou

City maybe. But we were definitely better than Liverpool. Their midfield was dogshit. Their defense midtable at best.

They had better firepower though. They were atrocious at game management. A better midfield would seen them win the league. Games against Chelsea and Crystal Palace where they lost the league was because they couldn't manage the game.

Enjoyed watching us back then too, but don't quite think we had that win at all cost type figure back then.

Liverpool had the likes of Gerrard and Suarez, real winners that teammates could follow...while we had some top players, felt we just lacked that little spark back then...felt the most that team could have achieved was top four and a cup, which is what they did, so I was happy.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

I was very fond of the idea of getting him as a van persie replacement. Think he would've made a great striker. Never creative and imaginative enough to be a top tier 10, not fast enough to make a winger, but he always had enough of that in him with a great nose for goal that could've made him a great striker. Now he's a bench player and makeshift CM in France.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The first big warning sign that he was finished for me was the 2014/2015 season. Spent a lot that summer (mostly on rubbish) and actually regressed in the league. I know we came a position higher but we basically were out of the title race in November.

Around this time was also when the transfers really started going to pot. Nothing signings like Debuchy/Chambers really set the club back years, and assume Wenger agreed to them.

Makavelii

For his sake? Probably long before when he was still appreciated.

For Arsenals sake? Never. The club has been a mess since he left.

Manberg

Predator
The demise started with Wenger. We finished 5th and 6th in his last 2 seasons. It’s a result of decisions and players bought in during the end of the Wenger era. We weren’t playing attractive football in Wenger’s last two years either, aside from the odd game.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F44a98772-0256-11eb-bce8-b17824147865.jpg

Clearly needed a long holiday or two. Looking so much healthier these days.

Arsenal Quotes

Other clubs never came into my thoughts once I knew Arsenal wanted to sign me.

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom