• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Managerial Royalty

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Totally agree. I also thought it was the time for him to step down, but it’s been a complete shambles since then. Emery and now Arteta have been incredibly questionable decisions
I think if we take a step back it’s not that bad.

First manager after Wenger could have gone either way, Emery kept us where we were while we underwent the biggest transition the club had ever seen. Rather than an outright failure I’d say he just wasn’t a good for the club. **** happens.

After Emery we gamble on an absolute rookie and the rookie turns out to be just that, a rookie. The gamble has failed, **** happens we move on. Two managers in two seasons sounds bad but when you look at what we did, the way things have turned out aren’t that unexpected.

The next manager has to be someone who aligns with the clubs identity and playing style (which we didn’t do with Emery) and someone who has proven experience and relative success (which we didn’t do with Arteta). If we get that guy in, and back them to the best of our abilities then I think we can expect a return to stability.

After twenty years of continuity these years were always going to be dodgy. I just wish we had backed Emery like we backed Arteta, he could have kept us ticking over while we looked for a better fit.

Kav

Established Member
No. We won’t end up in 15th. Probably 9th with the current roster. The problem is we aren’t top 4 competitive. This requires quality no matter who manages.
We don’t belong lower than 6th with the squad we have. Our first team can certainly improve but it’s not at the level that you should be willing to accept a mid table finish. The mere fact that the team is where they are shows how poor Arteta has been.

He finished 8 with the same team minus Gabriel, Partey or Willian. All the decisions since September are his to own. He either improve the performances and results or he gets out.

Legend14

Established Member
We don’t belong lower than 6th with the squad we have. Our first team can certainly improve but it’s not at the level that you should be willing to accept a mid table finish. The mere fact that the team is where they are shows how poor Arteta has been.

He finished 8 with the same team minus Gabriel, Partey or Willian. All the decisions since September are his to own. He either improve the performances and results or he gets out.
Other teams are better. You can’t assess this year with last year’s data. With our talent, lower expectations. Hopefully we can bring in talent in January.

Last edited:

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

First manager after Wenger could have gone either way, Emery kept us where we were while we underwent the biggest transition the club had ever seen. Rather than an outright failure I’d say he just wasn’t a good for the club. **** happens.

After Emery we gamble on an absolute rookie and the rookie turns out to be just that, a rookie. The gamble has failed, **** happens we move on. Two managers in two seasons sounds bad but when you look at what we did, the way things have turned out aren’t that unexpected.

The next manager has to be someone who aligns with the clubs identity and playing style (which we didn’t do with Emery) and someone who has proven experience and relative success (which we didn’t do with Arteta). If we get that guy in, and back them to the best of our abilities then I think we can expect a return to stability.

After twenty years of continuity these years were always going to be dodgy. I just wish we had backed Emery like we backed Arteta, he could have kept us ticking over while we looked for a better fit.
A manager who likes to play with our original playing style, not saying I don't agree but who are you thinking? We probably do need to get back to being creative & faster passing but who is a manager who likes to play like that aswell? Rodgers or one of those younger managers from the Bundesliga?

Iceman10

Established Member

There are a lot of people talking about identity in terms of returning back to more attacking focus, but we can do that and people will quickly be back to talking about naivety when it comes to positioning and discipline against the counterattack, when we lose big against Liverpool, City, Chelsea, etc.

As it is in this NLD the Bellerin side of the pitch was again weak, making it pretty impossible for Holding really. I actually think Emery and Arteta had the right idea to get things right from defensive base and working upwards, like Man City did, but we weren’t putting in the resources or getting rid of weak players to even get these basics right. That’s really where Raul messed us up with a 100m diversion on Pepe and Saliba.

MATHEO

Yes the team is awful at the moment with no signs of improvement coming, however lets not forget that Arteta is a young manager who is new to the job, he is still trying to develop his ideas and trying to find his feet while filling the biggest boots as Arsène's successor.

We played some good football before the pandemic and then the Özil situation has developed, afterwards we switched to 3 at the back towards the end of the season and had a great success against the big teams winning an FA cup and the shield along the way.

Our defense and possession play has improved immensely in that system. however, lacking creative players and playing with a less expansive system meant that chance creation has dried up and we became sterile offensively. This became apparent with every game, and Arteta since then tried different tactical tweaks to improve his attacking game and find some balance, but that went backwards as we didnt improve offensively and regressed defensively leading to all these losses.

The Özil situation didnt help, the recruitment in the summer was awful with Willian and failing to sign Auoar, and Arteta is left with these sad options and this is where I have some sympathy. However, he must start turning this round before it gets worse, I believe he will continue to tweak his systems until he finds the balance, it will take time but I believe he showed that he has the intelligence, the personality and vision to turn things round, its a matter of time and a question of how much time the club will give him.

Legend14

Established Member
Yes the team is awful at the moment with no signs of improvement coming, however lets not forget that Arteta is a young manager who is new to the job, he is still trying to develop his ideas and trying to find his feet while filling the biggest boots as Arsène's successor.

We played some good football before the pandemic and then the Özil situation has developed, afterwards we switched to 3 at the back towards the end of the season and had a great success against the big teams winning an FA cup and the shield along the way.

Our defense and possession play has improved immensely in that system. however, lacking creative players and playing with a less expansive system meant that chance creation has dried up and we became sterile offensively. This became apparent with every game, and Arteta since then tried different tactical tweaks to improve his attacking game and find some balance, but that went backwards as we didnt improve offensively and regressed defensively leading to all these losses.

The Özil situation didnt help, the recruitment in the summer was awful with Willian and failing to sign Auoar, and Arteta is left with these sad options and this is where I have some sympathy. However, he must start turning this round before it gets worse, I believe he will continue to tweak his systems until he finds the balance, it will take time but I believe he showed that he has the intelligence, the personality and vision to turn things round, its a matter of time and a question of how much time the club will give him.

The summer window was perfectly fine other than not getting rid of the baggage because no one wants it. Partey and Gabriel are absolutely fantastic. Willian got old fast. Aouar is completely overrated, so its great we didn’t get him. Now we can find quality attackers. Can’t do all in one window.

JasonJ

I think you are right. Let's don't forget we won 2 silverwares with Arteta. Give him more times like Liverpool. Bring more players that suits Arteta's style.

Malky

Established Member

The last part is something i agree on fully - we never gave Emery the backing the man actually deserved. A rookie takes over and demands Willian, Ceballos return, Gabriel, Partey and Aouar and all, with the exception of Aouar we've delivered. We even tried selling players to fund a move for Aouar. Emery got us within touching distance of top four, a Europa final and asked for Partey, Nkunku and Zaha and got none of them. I feel for the man, he was hung out to dry being asked to work with players that werent his choice.
The people on here blame the players intsead of Arteta, but they're the same players at Emery got to a Europa final and touching distance of top 4, while Arteta has us in 15th, scoring a pathetic 10 goals, while Emery had this team scoring 3-4 a game.
So the question is, for the people blaming the players - are our players really that bad that we're rightfully in 15th and shouldn't be any higher, or was Emery a ****ing genius for getting this squad into a European final and nearly getting CL football? Because the fans wanted Emery sacked for " underachieving " yet now it's the same players holding Arteta back..
The obvious answer is Arteta is a worse manager than Emery, but his fanboys can't admit that.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Great article in the Athletic. Analysis of xG shows that 'Sp**s to fade, Sheff Utd unlucky but Arsenal not in false position'.

Arsenal should have expected to have scored two more goals than the 10 they’ve managed thus far, but ultimately Mikel Arteta’s side aren’t creating enough chances — in five of their 11 matches they’ve failed to create more than 1.0 xG worth of chances.

A reliance on crossing may be to blame. Either way, Arsenal simply aren’t progressing the ball into dangerous areas, and certainly aren’t getting the ball towards their forwards in goalscoring positions.

vantoure

This hasn’t really helped us though has it.

We needed a right winger for example, got Pepe who’s a right winger but look how that’s working out.

No point bringing in players the next manager won’t like should Mikel not make it into next season. Like Jorginho or Eriksen.
Isn't that the point of having a DoF though? For continuity and consistency of playing style.
Thus the DoF "owns" the vision of how the club will play and thus responsible for player and manager recruitment.
If this is the case, then there's no reason why Edu shouldn't be earning his stripes (and copping some flak) for how we currently look and how we should be shaping going forward. Otherwise, arsenal has just jumped on the DoF bandwagon without an understanding of its role

Atlas

Lost a sausage bet on Xhaka 😭
When the club won the FA Cup and community shield : Arteta is a great manager. Peace be upon him.
When the club is struggling in 16th place : The setup is poison, the club is a mess, we need to spend half a billion and sign 10 players before judging Arteta.

How biased can you be?

bonzka

You think we belong in 15th position?
Absolutely.. We're close to bottom in most of the metrics for attacking play and chance creation.

I don't believe Arteta has lost the dressing room though. It's clear he needs to make some tactical tweaks and if confidence can be lifted then they will improve dramatically.

mpower2540

Apologies if this has already been shared. Just look at this **** man, I can’t get my head round what we were thinking in this game. :facepalm:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
After watching that you can say that Arteta was tactically very naive. Probably wanted to try and prove a point and go after Sp**s. Hmm.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Don't understand the logic when people say we should have given Emery more time yet want Arteta out now. Feels like retconning history to me. The fans were howling for him to go by by the end due to a combination of poor performances, lack of identity as much as bad results, not dissimilar to Arteta now.

If that's people's mindsets. You'd have to still be backing Arteta.
Emery had over 2 years in charge, Arteta less than 1. Arteta's at least won something in that time period too.

Arsenal Quotes

A manager is a guide. He takes a group of people and says: "With you I can make us a success; I can show you the way".

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 28

Arsenal have been handed a boost as Sporting Lisbon have lowered their asking price for CB Ousmane Diomande from €80m to €60m [Record]

Sheffield Wednesday are keen on signing 21 year old striker Mika Biereth on loan [The Sheffield Star]

Arsenal hope to command a sizeable fee for Eddie Nketiah this summer [The Athletic]

Arsenal and AC Milan are interested in Monaco midfielder Youssouf Fofana [Gazzetta]

Thomas Partey’s preference is to stay at Arsenal, but no talks have taken place over a new contract with one year left and the club could consider offers this summer [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom