• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Are you really comparing Matip to Cedric? Until Joe Gomez developed Matip was starting every week for Klopp if fit. There’s miles between them as players.

Well TAA has been injured this season and they’ve happily played a kid from the academy or Milner so that’s flat out wrong.

There’s no one who’s comparable in their transfer business to giving out freebies to Kia clients when really they shouldn’t be in the PL anymore.

Bogle isn’t a world class RB. He was a kid from the Championship who it’d actually be worth developing and playing in games who’d cost the same as Cedric.

Not comparing them player to player obviously, comparing the scenarios.

You haven't actually given any reason as to why Cedric was a bad signing based on performances, and to be honest you cant. He's performed well in the games he's been called upon to play in.

Anyway, no point talking about it anymore, if your main issues are the signings of Cedric and Mari then you need to give yourself a wobble, much bigger problems than two backup players to the main squad that were signed for 4 ****ing million.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Not comparing them player to player obviously, comparing the scenarios.

You haven't actually given any reason as to why Cedric was a bad signing based on performances, and to be honest you cant. He's performed well in the games he's been called upon to play in.

Anyway, no point talking about it anymore, if your main issues are the signings of Cedric and Mari then you need to give yourself a wobble, much bigger problems than two backup players to the main squad that were signed for 4 ****ing million.

Yeah but the scenarios aren’t even similar :lol:

Matip was a key player just entering his prime for Schalke and was an immediate starter for Liverpool.

Of course I can’t criticise Cedric’s performances because so far playing him against anything other than farmers is a massive risk. Came on against Liverpool in the community shield and immediately gave away a goal.

I mean an excellent signing to me isn’t just signing pure deadwood for cheap. That’s all.

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
Are you really comparing Matip to Cedric? Until Joe Gomez developed Matip was starting every week for Klopp if fit. There’s miles between them as players.

Bogle isn’t a world class RB. He was a kid from the Championship who it’d actually be worth developing and playing in games who’d cost the same as Cedric.
Not to mention Matip was 25 and not 29 when they signed him. Was generally well-rated and sought for and played the entire season for Schalke despite leaving on a free. He played all 3060 minutes over the 34 games in the league for them. Scoring 3, nicking 5 assists too as CB.

Bogle or similar (playing academy players) is exactly the stuff we should be doing as a club that is in a transition rather than signing players in the end of their careers with little to no time left to grow.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Yeah but the scenarios aren’t even similar :lol:

Matip was a key player just entering his prime for Schalke and was an immediate starter for Liverpool.

Of course I can’t criticise Cedric’s performances because so far playing him against anything other than farmers is a massive risk. Came on against Liverpool in the community shield and immediately gave away a goal.

I mean an excellent signing to me isn’t just signing pure deadwood for cheap. That’s all.

Come off it he wasn't the only one responsible for that goal.

Its only a massive risk because he lacks athleticism. But he's good as a 2nd right back, that's all.

EinmalImmerEwig

Bent on his knees by asking to get banned !
Willian seems meh right now but he'll be useful in the squad over the next two years.
These aren't things the club should be lambasted for. If anything Willian right now looks a bad signing on a free, but at the end of the day it was for free.
We'll have to see in 2022 but I make you wrong on this one.
Also, in 2022 Willian will still have one year left on his contract, with no desire to go anywhere. He'll also be 34
Willian also cost plenty. Wages are £35million over the 3 years, a long contract, a possible clause in games he has to play, taking a starting place from a youngster, no resale value, a totally different style of play to what ( I think ) Arteta is trying to create ( unless he really thinks high balls into a Mourinho-led team will get us 3 goals second half!
Hope Willian makes a success of his time here as it would be good for The Arsenal and he does seem like a decent person, but this looks like a serious mistake to me.

GoonerJay24

Özil is still here but he isn't in the squad so that's a bit of a silly comment. Iwobi and Mikky's numbers from midfield have not been replaced, its that simple.

Willock and Nelson in particular aren't creative replacements in central areas for the players you mentioned, nor do they get anywhere near the numbers that the players I mentioned got in 18/19.

Martinelli has been injured and has hardly played in the league for Arsenal, he also isn't a midfielder. Im talking midfielders here. I posted this in the transfer section -

"We need to start replacing the goals and assists we've lost over the past couple of years in midfield.

When you look back a little bit... (just talking central players here)

16/17 - Arteta, Wilshere, Rosicky all left. Replaced with Xhaka
17/18 - Mikky came in
18/19 - Cazorla left <3 Torreira was signed
19/20 - Iwobi and Mikky left, Ceballos was signed on loan
20/21 - Torreira gone and Özil has essentially left, Willian and Partey signed"

We are only just starting to sign players to replace the creativity we've lost in the past 5 windows. This is one of the reasons why we are having so many problems right now.

And whose responsible for Özil not being in the squad? Clearly the managers decisions are weakening the team.
Iwobi and Mkhitharian were average players don't speak like they're prime Lampard or Fabregas.

Nelson has the potential to be highly creative, certainly much more so than Iwobi was. Whilst Willock can contribute to attacks too but it comes down to coaches developing him properly.

Martinelli is a versatile forward who can operate out wide whilst still capable of providing more goals and assists.

I understand what your saying we've certainly lost a lot of quality in those attacking midfield areas. But in my opinion there's still enough talent within this squad to create and score goals, the coaches need to identify the right system for this.
This current Sp**s team have Son and Kane as the primary goalscorers. There are many other examples in history of successful sides having just a couple of players that contribute to the majority of goals and assists.

But ultimately if Arteta wants to make decisions like excluding Özil out from the 25 which results in an underperforming team, then he must take the blame.

Managers shouldn't arrive at clubs being all about instilling discipline and new philosophy etc. Instead it's about showing they're capable of consistently getting the best out of the current players first before getting too tactical and making wholesale changes.
Especially not a younger coach like Arteta, making the job hard on himself it seems.

Last edited:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
And whose responsible for Özil not being in the squad? Clearly the managers decisions are weakening the team.
Iwobi and Mkhitharian were average players don't speak like they're prime Lampard or Fabregas.

Nelson has the potential to be highly creative, certainly much more so than Iwobi was. Whilst Willock can contribute to attacks too but it comes down to coaches developing him properly.

Martinelli is a versatile forward who can operate out wide whilst still capable of providing more goals and assists.

I understand what your saying we've certainly lost a lot of quality in those attacking midfield areas. But in my opinion there's still enough talent within this squad to create and score goals, the coaches need to identify the right system for this.
This current Sp**s team have Son and Kane as the primary goalscorers. There are many other examples in history of successful sides having just a couple of players that contribute to the majority of goals and assists.

But ultimately if Arteta wants to make decisions like excluding Özil out if the squad and the team are underperforming, then he must take the blame.

Managers shouldn't arrive at clubs being all about instilling discipline and new philosophy etc. Instead they should show they're capable of consistently getting the best out of the current players first before getting too tactical and making wholesale changes.
Especially not a younger coach like Arteta, making the job hard on himself it seems.

I'm far from saying that Iwovi and Mikky were elite players, I simply said we haven't replaced their numbers from midfield. Which is true, don't twist my words.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
If that's people's mindsets. You'd have to still be backing Arteta.
Emery had over 2 years in charge, Arteta less than 1. Arteta's at least won something in that time period too.

Emery was here for 18 months. Arteta has been here for a year. I have said before we need to give Arteta till the end of the season unless we start to flirt with relegation. If he gets to the end of the season, then he will have had 18 months too same as Emery. Imo that is enough time to judge a manager's capabilities.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
I'm far from saying that Iwovi and Mikky were elite players, I simply said we haven't replaced their numbers from midfield. Which is true, don't twist my words.

The reason we haven't replaced their numbers is because Arteta is clearly struggling with that side of the game. Do you think if we slotted Iwobi and Mhki in our team right now, that we would start to score goals from midfield? We wouldn't because we don't attack that way.

Last edited:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
The reason we haven't replaced their numbers is because Rates is clearly struggling with that side of the game. Do you think if we slotted Iwobi and Mhki in our team right now, that we would start to score goals from midfield? We wouldn't because we don't attack that way.

If we had two of Özil, Ramsey, Mikky and Iwobi in the team consistently we would be scoring more goals, no doubt about it.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Emery was here for 18 months. Arteta has been here for a year. I have said before we need to give Arteta till the end of the season unless we start to flirt with relegation. If he gets to the end of the season, then he will have had 18 months too same as Emery. Imo that is enough time to judge a manager's capabilities.

Sorry, my error. It felt closer to 2 years at times :lol:

If Arteta is still here at the end of the season, which I think he will be, I don't see the club sacking him during the summer break. You don't want to be bringing a new manager in while transfer season is just starting with all the upheaval that comes with it .

Personally I'll give Arteta 2 years total before I start making strong judgements on him, barring something disastrous like us being in a relegation scrap this season.

I think he deserves a couple more transfer windows to make his mark on the squad. He had only just arrived in January, where nothing much usually happens and the summer window was an anomaly with the financially instability around Coronavirus generally. Though I think we spent pretty well in general.

If by the start of 2022 there's not a cogent footballing philosophy, a pretty sharp attack and a noticeable upswing in results I'd be reluctantly in favour of removing Mikel.

Last edited:

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
We have Aubameyang, Lacazette, Pepe, Willian, Saka, and we have scored the 4th fewest goals in the league. Aston Villa has 2 games fewer than us, has conceded 1 less than us and scored twice as many.

tenor.gif

And Özil is at the club, but not even registered.

tenor.gif

GoonerJay24

If we had two of Özil, Ramsey, Mikky and Iwobi in the team consistently we would be scoring more goals, no doubt about it.

I think Ramsey was a huge loss and its understated in the football media how much he actually contributed when fit and playing consistently. But we've got to find new ways of generating goalscoring chances with the current group who are capable enough to be productive in the final third.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

if the season is lost. Let’s say come March time we are 12th. No chance of relegation or European football. Do you give him end of the season out of courtesy or do you bring in the new manager in March and atleast give him two months to asses the squad so he has better idea of the quality of the players or do you bring in manager in the Summer. My fear is no matter how bad we doing in the league people will say he still has chance for cl football from Europa league and it’s huge gamble to put your whole season on knock out competition. I say give him until end of the month. Next 3 games is Burnley and Southampton home and Everton away. If he doesn’t get 7 point then sack him

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member

Özil is still here. If Arteta thought he would make a difference Arteta would still pick him, regardless of the politics involved. However way you look at it no way is Mhki scoring more goals than Pepe. That leaves just Ramsey, who was injured for half the season. Even in his absence we never struggled to score goals.

It is clearly a system problem. It is better to just admit Arteta hasn't yet found any workable attacking patterns. That doesn't mean he won't figure something out eventually. It is just how long the club can wait. Arteta was highly rated. Eventually he has to show why. We can't wait forever

Arsenal Quotes

I still have an interest in training and development, in the stages that make it possible for players first to acquire technique (between 7 and 12) and then to develop physically (between 12 and 16), then to deepen their mental resilience (between 17 and 19) and finally between 19 and 22 to acquire what is critical, like the roof of a house without which all the rest rots away: intelligence and motivation

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom