• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ainsley Maitland-Niles: Midfielder or in deNile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Was alright today, still feel there were moments he was too nonchalant but I really didn't want to see him at RB today and was disappointed. As much as I don't want Cedric in the team, I despair at our midfield. Hopefully Arteta takes a chance next game. He's far more needed in midfield than he is at RB, as much as people hate Bellerin.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Was alright today, still feel there were moments he was too nonchalant but I really didn't want to see him at RB today and was disappointed. As much as I don't want Cedric in the team, I despair at our midfield. Hopefully Arteta takes a chance next game. He's far more needed in midfield than he is at RB, as much as people hate Bellerin.

Agree. I don’t get how Arteta doesn’t see the problems caused by our lack of dynamism in midfield. Teams play the ball around us for fun.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

I really expected Cedric to start and AMN in the middle. I still thought he had a good game but I've been shouting for him in the middle before we lost Partey. I'd still like to see him next to Partey with Ceballos in a 3.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Agree. I don’t get how Arteta doesn’t see the problems caused by our lack of dynamism in midfield. Teams play the ball around us for fun.
I had to teach midway through this game for about half an hour at the start of the 2nd half and the temptation to scream at the TV during one of Elneny's poor passages was killing me man. Willock came on and was our best midfielder and he didn't even do anything that good - 2nd time that's happened :lol: :lol:.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I really expected Cedric to start and AMN in the middle. I still thought he had a good game but I've been shouting for him in the middle before we lost Partey. I'd still like to see him next to Partey with Ceballos in a 3.
I'd put Saka in the 3 instead of Ceballos.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Reiss LW when fit. Auba or Eddie CF (although Eddie I don't think did enough to suggest more PL minutes).

Yeah I'm disappointed with Nketiah. I keep shouting for him to get a run but he's just not doing it when he gets the chance. I'm still uncertain about Nelson but the way things are I'm happy to try anything.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Says quite a bit about Bellerin that by standards of the best few seasons this year has actually been good for him. Yet, AMN can still come in, not have a particularly amazing game and look better or equal.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

He's another example of a player the fanbase clamour for to start, he comes in and does not much more than the person everyone complains about.

There's loads of these and we're so sh* it's just turned into some popularity contest at this point since we can't get points on the pitch.

He took throw ins better than Bellerin, that's about as far as it went.

Jack badmon

Saw the good the bad and the ugly yesterday,

The good, his reading of the game and timing of interceptions is incredible

the bad, kinda wasted out on the right hand side with his ability

the ugly, when he collects the ball his distribution is nonchalant and gives the ball away too much.

I’m willing to give him benefit of the doubt and have a run in the side to iron out the ugly, want to say it’s partly down to lack of cohesion with the rest of the team etc

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Let's also not forget this is his first PL game this season bellerin was playing week in week out so I'm not surprised about the lack of sharpness from AMN i hope he keep his place in 343 bellerin need to sit for a while

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

What I don't get is Arteta explicitly said last January that he was a midfielder being played as a full-back and that he wanted a right back. We signed Cedric on a 4 year deal yet he still turns to AMN when Bellerin is unavailable? Look I know that Cedric is a mid-table player but surely if he was happy with the signing he'd be giving him a chance ahead of the player he specifically said wasn't a full-back.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I must admit I find it a bit difficult to assess what his best position is, and I don't think I am alone. He does not seem to have the necessary positional awareness to be a solid defender. That is partially covered by his athleticism, but he isn't a natural defender.

At the same time, is he good enough to be a central midfielder for us? Right now there is negligible competition there, but he is still not trusted by the manager.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I must admit I find it a bit difficult to assess what his best position is, and I don't think I am alone. He does not seem to have the necessary positional awareness to be a solid defender. That is partially covered by his athleticism, but he isn't a natural defender.

At the same time, is he good enough to be a central midfielder for us? Right now there is negligible competition there, but he is still not trusted by the manager.

No shade here but I think we're choosing to find it difficult.

He's played CM twice and got MoTM on both occasions. He's played there throughout his development years and repeatedly said that's where he feels most comfortable. He can tackle, pass with both feet and has an incredible engine. The experience of playing in both full back positions means he can drop back and cover space vacated by Bellerin and Tierney when they go forward.

It's not that he's not trusted, it's that the manager wants to use CMs to sit and cover fixed quadrangles. If we played a high press like Liverpool, he'd essentially fulfil a similar role to someone like Wijnaldum, and it would be the likes of Xhaka and Elneny that were ill-suited to our game. However, we don't.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

No shade here but I think we're choosing to find it difficult.

He's played CM twice and got MoTM on both occasions. He's played there throughout his development years and repeatedly said that's where he feels most comfortable. He can tackle, pass with both feet and has an incredible engine. The experience of playing in both full back positions means he can drop back and cover space vacated by Bellerin and Tierney when they go forward.

It's not that he's not trusted, it's that the manager wants to use CMs to sit and cover fixed quadrangles. If we played a high press like Liverpool, he'd essentially fulfil a similar role to someone like Wijnaldum, and it would be the likes of Xhaka and Elneny that were ill-suited to our game. However, we don't.

Do you see him as a sort of box-to-box midfielder? I can't really see him fulfilling that role like Ramsey. He surely isn't a defensive midfielder or a deep playmaker either. It is hard to pin him down, at least I find it so.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I had to teach midway through this game for about half an hour at the start of the 2nd half and the temptation to scream at the TV during one of Elneny's poor passages was killing me man. Willock came on and was our best midfielder and he didn't even do anything that good - 2nd time that's happened :lol: :lol:.

There was a bit where Elneny got the ball in space and our attackers start running.

Instead of playing them in he just turns round and passes it to Holding. It actually enraged me ngl. Like pure anger watching that :lol:

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Do you see him as a sort of box-to-box midfielder? I can't really see him fulfilling that role like Ramsey. He surely isn't a defensive midfielder or a deep playmaker either. It is hard to pin him down, at least I find it so.

Truthfully players get associated with positions based on cognitive bias of their current coach. Southgate only ever uses Saka as a full back but at Arsenal it’s recognised that he’s progressed from that.

I see AMN as a CM. A number 8. He’s comfortable on the ball (sometimes too comfortable), can beat a press, has decent pass selection and is tenacious defensively.

I picked Wijnaldum just because there aren’t that many of that type around compared to the 90s when teams played 442 more frequently.

He’s certainly no worse in midfield than Xhaka and Elneny. It’s not an outlandish experiment when you look at our deficiencies in that area.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Truthfully players get associated with positions based on cognitive bias of their current coach. Southgate only ever uses Saka as a full back but at Arsenal it’s recognised that he’s progressed from that.

I see AMN as a CM. A number 8. He’s comfortable on the ball (sometimes too comfortable), can beat a press, has decent pass selection and is tenacious defensively.

I picked Wijnaldum just because there aren’t that many of that type around compared to the 90s when teams played 442 more frequently.

He’s certainly no worse in midfield than Xhaka and Elneny. It’s not an outlandish experiment when you look at our deficiencies in that area.

I agree that is well worth a try. However, Arteta is under such pressure, and we have tough draws in the EL and the Carabeo, I am not sure he'll feel able to give it a go.

We really need a break now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

In a football match anything can happen, the players, 90 minutes, fantastic moves, an element of luck, talent, courage, and touch of magic and, for those who are watching these men play, the search for excitement, for a memory, for a lesson in life.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Monday, May 20

Thomas Partey is wanted by clubs in Saudi Arabia, with just one year left on his deal [Evening Standard]

Pedro Neto & Nico Williams are admired by the club, while they have also watched Amadou Onana and Martin Zubimendi this season [Evening Standard]

Cedric Soares confirms his departure from the club [Arsenal.com]

Borussia Dortmund will rival Arsenal to sign Fenerbache LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Takvim]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom