• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Kieran Tierney: Tesco’s Finest

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSBK

Established Member
The guy is a tank. James couldnt handle him, he can play ball aswell. Top top player, future captain of arsenal!!

To me Kieran Tierney is the most overrated player at Arsenal right now. He has the same problem Kolasinac. He can’t properly cross to save his life. How many times has he been in the box and the only time he did something with it was when he dived for that pen against Chelsea.

our game relies on the fullbacks to produce chances and he needs to improve a lot in that regard. He also passes always backwards, i dont mind that, but when Xhaka or Elneny do it its an outrage. He has to improve on the offensive end a lot. Defensively he gets caught out of position sometimes but is solid IMO.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
I must admit his crossing quality is what keeps him from A. Robertson level although I previously said he was better than him; but I have to take that back given his current level of crossing ability.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Think his crosses are sublime tbh a bit surprised at what I’m reading. People went nuts over Martinelli’s cross against City - Tierney puts several of those every match. We just don’t have the personnel upfront for it to matter.

Everything else he does going forward is trash though.

Very much a kick and run player, I always assumed the Robertson comparisons was just jokes/fandom I didn’t know people were serious.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
Comparisons are just based on the fact they are both Scottish IMO. His crossing isn't terrible but not at level of Pool fullbacks to say he is the elite of the elite.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
All Robertson does is spam crosses aswell tbf, and in Klopps system he gets like 100 crosses per game...Robertson is a bit better defensively (bit "nastier" as a player aswell, which makes a difference) but attacking wise they are about the same imo.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

All Robertson does is spam crosses aswell tbf, and in Klopps system he gets like 100 crosses per game...Robertson is a bit better defensively but attacking wise they are about the same imo.
No chance.

Robertson with the centre forward finish, Tierney could never I'm afraid.

Robertson is pretty much a forward, had you said Tierney was better defensively I'd have agreed.

Riou

No chance.

Robertson with the centre forward finish, Tierney could never I'm afraid.

Robertson is pretty much a forward, had you said Tierney was better defensively I'd have agreed.

Meh...good touch and finish, but hardly Ian Wright is it, Tierney scored a few lovely goals at Celtic tbf...If you look at the quality of crossing and passing, they are the same, dribbling as well.

Think the main edge is Robertson being a bit of a ****, which adds to his game a little more.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Meh...good touch and finish, but hardly Ian Wright is it, Tierney scored a few lovely goals at Celtic tbf...If you look at the quality of crossing and passing, they are the same, dribbling as well.

Think the main edge is Robertson being a bit of a ****, which adds to his game a little more.
Robertson (and Trent) have changed the game on how full backs play. Robertson is on another level completely attacking wise.

Tierney is very much an old school overlapping left back we would have seen under Wenger.

Out of the two, Tierney is more likely to fall back into the CB role with age as his pace goes, cause that’s all he’s mostly got attacking wise.

Robertson could very well have a central or attacking role when he moves on to a lesser team.

Riou

Robertson (and Trent) have changed the game on how full backs play. Robertson is on another level completely attacking wise.

Tierney is very much an old school overlapping left back we would have seen under Wenger.

Out of the two, Tierney is more likely to fall back into the CB role with age as his pace goes, cause that’s all he’s mostly got attacking wise.

Robertson could very well have a central or attacking role when he moves on to a lesser team.

They are 2 top players for Liverpool, but I hate how people say they changed the game for fullbacks...there has always been top attacking fullbacks.

The likes of Zanetti and Roberto Carlos, they brought a real class to the role back in the day, while how many assists did Dani Alves get for Barca...even closer to home, Ashley Cole at Arsenal from 2001-2005, was probably the peak of a full back in this league.

I honestly don’t know what Klopp has done differently...

English press: “How do you get Robertson and Trent playing so brilliantly, Kloppo?”

Klopp: “Well, I tell them to get forward and cross...ALOT!”

English press: “Genius, never been done before, best coach of all time...may we see those pearly whites one more time please???”

Klopp...

hqdefault.jpg

...feel other top fullback’s attacking contributons get a little forgotten about, if I’m honest, it annoys me.

Last edited:

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Well they’ve changed the game in a sense that they barely do any defending - and they aren’t even judged on it.

Because of Trent and Robertson specifically, we’ve seen an influx of attacking fullbacks come into the league (notably City, Sp**s and Utd).

Fullbacks are now expected to have a lot more attacking prowess than before, where as the names you mentioned were outliers and not the norm - all pretty good defenders too (not sure on Alves defending).

I guarantee you the next full backs we sign down the line don’t look like Tierney or Bellerin and will most likely be more well rounded attackers with ok defensive stats.

That’s partially why we’ve been so poor this season attacking wise, Tierney and Bellerin are our chief creators and the pair of them are limited in that department.

If you had Robertson and Trent - you could get away with Xhaka, Elneny and etc. Thiago aside we wouldn’t want Liverpool’s midfielders, we even had one of them (Oxlade).

Same way if our midfield was at a higher level, you could get away with Tierney and Bellerin as they wouldn’t be plan A.

akhil

Well they’ve changed the game in a sense that they barely do any defending - and they aren’t even judged on it.

Because of Trent and Robertson specifically, we’ve seen an influx of attacking fullbacks come into the league (notably City, Sp**s and Utd).

Fullbacks are now expected to have a lot more attacking prowess than before, where as the names you mentioned were outliers and not the norm - all pretty good defenders too (not sure on salves).

I guarantee you the next full backs we sign down the line don’t look like Tierney or Bellerin and will most likely be more well rounded attackers with ok defensive stats.

That’s partially why we’ve been so poor this season attacking wise, Tierney and Bellerin are our chief creators and the pair of them are limited in that department.

If you had Robertson and Trent - you could get away with Xhaka, Elneny and etc. Thiago aside we wouldn’t want Liverpool’s midfielders, we even had one of them (Oxlade).

Same way if our midfield was at a higher level, you could get away with Tierney and Bellerin.

They also have 2 extremely fast CBs covering for them who are both excellent 1v1. Pool having 2 very good attacking fullbacks is a bit of outlier too, most good teams of the past had 1 very good attacking full back and the other being solid all rounder. Trent's right foot is a wand though.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

They also have 2 extremely fast CBs covering for them who are both excellent 1v1. Pool having 2 very good attacking fullbacks is a bit of outlier too, most good teams of the past had 1 very good attacking full back and the other being solid all rounder. Trent's right foot is a wand though.
Yeah I probably shouldn’t have said changed the game, but the duo have certainly changed the league.

Telles, Cancello, Reguilon who have joined the league this summer are all very competent attacking fullbacks.

Reece James is another one with fantastic delivery. You have Chilwell constantly attacking the near post as well.

Not to put our options down as they aren’t an immediate concern, but it is what it is.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Modern full backs are all about pushing the opposite full back fully back. Been that way long before Trent or Robertson.

As way of comparison is the last league three games Tierney had made 15 crosses pass accuracy starting with Brighton 82.6%, 54.5% and 84.6. Robertson has made 33,crosses pass accuracy 80%, 76.9% and 88.4% against Newcastle.

They are very similar players and it's unfair to say Tierney is just a kick and run player.

That's a snip of Tierney in one league campaign. I'd be delighted if he starts putting up those numbers again. He should be heading that direction bar some dubious finishing on our part. 3.30 ish onwards is sublime and deserved a goal.

By my account 12 assists and 6 goals? From full back.

Last edited:

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Modern full backs are all about pushing the opposite full back fully back. Been that way long before Trent or Robertson.

As way of comparison is the last league three games Tierney had made 15 crosses pass accuracy starting with Brighton 82.6%, 54.5% and 84.6. Robertson has made 33,crosses pass accuracy 80%, 76.9% and 88.4% against Newcastle.

They are very similar players and it's unfair to say Tierney is just a kick and run player.

That's a snip of Tierney in one league campaign. I'd be delighted if he starts putting up those numbers again. He should be heading that direction bar some dubious finishing on our part. 3.30 ish onwards is sublime and deserved a goal.

By my account 12 assists and 6 goals? From full back.
We do not want to start bringing up numbers comparing Tierney and Robertson :lol:

The only reason I didn’t bother is because some of you will just rebuttal it with “but Liverpool is a much better team” so it’s almost pointless. Those stats you have used paints the wrong picture.

Robertson’s stats put many wingers in the league to shame. I’m not exaggerating when I say he’s a forward and just left back by name only.

When both play for Scotland sometimes one of them plays at CB and it’s not Robertson - Tierney is very much as kick and run player as you can get, but will probably become the better defender.

Tierney puts his head down, accelerates and lumps in a cross - that’s pretty much what he brings to the attack. He’s not quite at the level going forward as some names I’ve mentioned above, but luckily for him he doesn’t have to be. The comparisons to Robbo are unfair on both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

Team picking is a complicated and scientific matter requiring expert knowledge

Herbert Chapman
Top Bottom