• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Finesse

Our squad isn't as good as many want to believe. I've had to come to terms with that very early this season. If Arteta had Chelsea's squad, wow. We'd be pissed Arsenal didn't hire him.

Arteta made his mistakes earlier on this season and a few man management issues here and there. It reflected in the results. I was a huge critic , but putting the rookie / learning curve mistakes aside, the man is no mug as some on here make it.

Some of the talk on here is lacking proper insight. Over the weekend , we lost to a fantastic City side. Not battered. I am sure most were expecting a thrashing to have a field day.

This is in no way rejoicing we lost to City or accepting mediocrity etc as some peddle on here. It is a a balanced view of the game.

We want a Manager who can take us up there once again. We went for a rookie and upcoming Manager. We must take the DOWNs with it and not let it stop us from seeing the UPs. We equally need a team that has the capacity. The balance must be right and we can see the direction in terms of players sold/loaned and spaces created for players to offer what we require.

Enough of the see Westham or our current League position...….Southampton was top of the table at some stage right....add Sp**s to the list...not to mention Liverpool.

This team will get there based on what has happened over the past few months from the Chelsea win. First and foremost the way we play and have to play is now in place. It will improve with time. A few players have to come in to make that system work even better. IMO a RB of Tierney ability , A FIT PARTEY , Bissouma/Buendia and a striker. ( dynamic ball player ) This is not a lot but may need a transfer window for sure. Then I can start getting serious with the conversation of if Arteta is the right man for the job etc. He is here and for now I remain very critical but objective. With this current squad , even Pep would not succeed 30% at what he is doing at City.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
There’s a lot to criticise Arteta for, not entirely sure why barking out instructions is one of them. Media practically wanked over it when Pep did when he started with City.

Ironically Wenger being the opposite and ‘just sitting there’ was something fans also had a problem with.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

The point of him being a novice manager, is why is he getting time though...If you hire someone like that you need to give him time, otherwise what's the point...we don't have Chelsea's money, so that situation is different...I imagine the cup win last season, bought him a season, the board will expect better next year.

Doubt anyone turned on Wenger, tbh...in 2017/2018 we just had the 5th/6th best team in the league, so that' where we finished...Arsène was always good at finishing in the league, where his squad quality should be finishing...can't imagine any of those players in that team turning on him...Kos, Nacho, Ramsey, Wilshere, Giroud, Özil all loved him, there was just better teams than us.

They turned on Unai first chance they got though really :lol:

The novice manager bit is such a straw man. He’s managing Arsenal and the expectations that come with it.

If we wanted a club where he could develop and learn his trade he should’ve taken the Newcastle job he turned down.

When he came to us people were saying he’s been in Pep’s shadow too long, he’s learnt all he can and now he’s ready for a job.

A year and a half later we now have to wait an indefinite amount of time because he’s a complete rookie.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
The novice manager bit is such a straw man. He’s managing Arsenal and the expectations that come with it.

If we wanted a club where he could develop and learn his trade he should’ve taken the Newcastle job he turned down.

When he came to us people were saying he’s been in Pep’s shadow too long, he’s learnt all he can and now he’s ready for a job.

A year and a half later we now have to wait an indefinite amount of time because he’s a complete rookie.

Take it up with the board mate, I didn't hire him :lol:

I doubt his grace period is much longer, they probably told him he has time, but not all the time in the world...I do think he could be sacked early into next season if things aren't going well.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Notice most of the Arteta supporters on here were vehement ‘Wenger Outers’ in 2015/16 like the AFTV clowns, Arseblog and all the other media outlets. That tells its own story.How are the two seasons shaping up in comparison.

Arseblog was a staunch, rock solid supporter of Wenger for almost all of his years, barely critical of him or giving extremely cautious or measured criticism of him while other blogs such as 'Le Grove' had been savaging him for years. Slowly, almost imperceptibly, Arseblog began to suggest Wenger should leave in what actually turned out to be his last few months of management. When Arseblog began to openly suggest this, I knew Wengers number was finally up.

The fact you have mentioned Arseblog as a 'Wenger Outer' alongside AFTV is beyond all comprehension.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
And then we'll repeat this cycle allover again :facepalm:

Can definitely see this man coming home to save us next season...

24245053.gif

:drool:

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
It's possible that sacking Wenger was the right thing to do, and that hiring Emery and then Arteta was the wrong thing to do. None of that is mutually exclusive.

If we all agree that sacking Emery was the right thing to do, then isn't it kinda hard to argue that Arteta isn't at the very least sackable right now seeing as they have pretty similar records? Why should one have been sacked but the other should be given more time? Cos he played for us, cos he speaks better?

Must admit i'm worried that they promoted him from head coach to manager after 6 months in the job and off the back of one FA cup, despite the fact we finished 8th. I'm worried that if anything his relationship with Edu is too good and Edu will give him too much time. I'm worried that in a short space of time he's accrued a lot of power in the club without really earning it or being ready for it.

Who's overseeing all this? The kroenke's are in the States, Tim Lewis isn't a DoF, Vinai is a wet wipe, and Edu has staked his reputation on Arteta, sacking him now (say we lose to Benfica) just makes him look good bad and risks his own position at the club.

I can see them letting this drift.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Key thing for me is that elite managers usually over-perform. They get every last drop out of their players.

Even in their first jobs Mourinho, Wenger, Ferguson and Klopp performed well from day one.

Question I have is how is Arteta performing in relation to the squad that we have?

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
He still has learning curves for sure but this is more to do with us being a self-sustainable model in which the necessary squad turnover, i.e. for him to have the options he wants for team selections, will take time as well.

al-Ustaadh

If we all agree that sacking Emery was the right thing to do, then isn't it kinda hard to argue that Arteta isn't at the very least sackable right now seeing as they have pretty similar records? Why should one have been sacked but the other should be given more time? Cos he played for us, cos he speaks better?
Because we have a real plan in place, and that plan will take time. They put all their eggs in one basket in Emery thinking he'd get us CL football via the Europa. Guess what... Didn't happen. KSE said **** it and have made Arteta a long term appointment as compared to their American franchises. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Arteta will be sacked any time soon.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Key thing for me is that elite managers usually over-perform. They get every last drop out of their players.

Even in their first jobs Mourinho, Wenger, Ferguson and Klopp performed well from day one.

Question I have is how is Arteta performing in relation to the squad that we have?

Are any elite managers actually available though? Only won you'd bet on is Allegri and why would he come here when the Utd job will come up eventually.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

According to @HairSprayGooners he's getting 90-100% out of the starting 11. :lol:

al-Ustaadh

Notice most of the Arteta supporters on here were vehement ‘Wenger Outers’ in 2015/16 like the AFTV clowns, Arseblog and all the other media outlets. That tells its own story.How are the two seasons shaping up in comparison.

2015/16
Position 2nd
1 place behind Leicester
Clean sheets 1st
Expected goals 1st
Goals for 3rd
Goal difference 4th
Expected goals against 1st
Champions League last 16
3 previous years spending £137m, 7th in the league

2020/21
Position 10th
7 places behind Leicester
Clean sheets 7th
Expected goals 11th
Goals for 10th
Goal Difference 9th
Expected goals against 3rd
Champions League not qualified
3 previous years spending £219m 4th in the league

These same posters told us 2015/16 was sackable, instead of a well run club performing above its spend. The old manager was in decline so let’s remove him.

And now they’re telling us that 2020/21 have the green shoots of recovery after those terrible Wenger years, despite mistake after mistake. :lol: :lol:

Not one single metric is better, or even on a par and the club has invested a lot more.
I was never Wenger out. And there were no back-up plans to their idiotic plan of expecting Emery to just get them back into the CL via the Europa. Sanllehi is an idiot. They blew a bunch of money without real direction. We have the opposite to all of this now with Arteta. Arsenal fans are just going to have to get over the fact it's going to take some time. KSE doesn't give a **** for their opinion, trust me. This is the same group of people who told the people of St. Louis, "we're not going to move the football team", then proceeded to do so the very next season.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Are any elite managers actually available though? Only won you'd bet on is Allegri and why would he come here when the Utd job will come up eventually.

No, but I still believe the Arsenal job is one of the most attractive in world football, it's no coincidence we had so many apply after Wenger left.

We can get an elite manager, if we really wanted.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
It's possible that sacking Wenger was the right thing to do, and that hiring Emery and then Arteta was the wrong thing to do. None of that is mutually exclusive.
its been a total ****show :clown:

we appointed a guy that is great in Spain but (to be nice) kind of mentally checks out & loses the dressing room when abroad within 18 months... not like we were the first but rather third foreign club!

then the second choice in 2018 & first choice in 2019 the same ****ing guy with zero experience :lol: either KSE were still high on Sean McVay or just did not give a **** about candidates the board suggested

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
we appointed a guy that is great in Spain

This is a myth.

Emery has never been particularly strong in the league. He's consistently produced results for the club he's taken over that are no better or worse than they were before. Check his record at Valencia and Sevilla (and happening again at Villarreal).

Emery's only real success has come in the Europa League.

Arsenal Quotes

If you don't believe you can do it then you have no chance at all.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom