• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Ferguson's first 6 seasons were like 11th, 2nd, 11th, 13th, 6th, 2nd. Sometimes manager needs time to develop their culture and team, learn themselves how to do things.

I think it's too early to tell if Arteta will be a good coach or not. I think there are many signs that show he has the talent to be a top manager. But there are also things that in my personal opinion he needs to iron out.

It will be interesting to see what he does next season!

You're setting a super high bar for Arteta mate. A comparison with SAF. I can count to dozens of other managers who were given time at numerous clubs and have delivered nothing but mediocrity everywhere, but you know the names just as well as I do.

I'll cut off my left toe if he delivers half of what SAF delivered for United.

You're setting a super high bar for Arteta mate. A comparison with SAF. I can count to dozens of other managers who were given time at numerous clubs and have delivered nothing but mediocrity everywhere, but you know the names just as well as I do.

I'll cut off my left toe if he delivers half of what SAF delivered for United.

I'm not comparing them lol. And I'm not demanding the same result as Ferguson. Arsenal as a club at the moment will never show the same ambition United had outside and on the field.

All I'm saying that while you can sack a manager every one and a half-season, 20 M each until you get desired results, and its perfectly okay to want to go that way. I mean that is your opinion. I'm just saying that maybe the other way will work too.

As we are not sacking Arteta because I don't believe Kroenke wants to lose more money like that from our club. We will now get a chance to see how the manager develops his squad when given more time.

Last edited:

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I'm not comparing them lol. And I'm not demanding the same result as Ferguson. Arsenal as a club at the moment will never show the same ambition United had outside and on the field.

All I'm saying that while you can sack a manager everyone and half-season, 20 M each until you get desired results, and its perfectly okay to want to go that way. I mean that is your opinion. I'm just saying that maybe the other way will work too.

As we are not sacking Arteta because I don't believe Kroenke wants to lose more money like that from our club. We will now get a chance to see how the manager develops his squad when given more time.

If we're tenth and win sweet f all. I'm all for a change in managers. If we're performing well, then no. You have to plan for the long term and medium term while performing in the short term.

For all the talk of giving managers time, have you ever considered that Arteta or whoever won't give us time?

Picture it, two years from now, we're middling around in 7th, Kroenke won't loosen the purse strings any further, this squad is at the end of their cycle and Mikel is frustrated (let's be real no one in football ever blames themselves). City come calling for Mikel to replace Pep.

What do you think he's going to do? He forced his way out of Everton and went to City because he thought it would be the best for him.

Us giving Arteta time is the best course of action for Arteta, not Arsenal. Right now, I feel like we're on project Arteta, where Mikel will get his experience, go off to a club with more money in a few years and we won't be substantially better off.

If we're tenth and win sweet f all. I'm all for a change in managers. If we're performing well, then no. You have to plan for the long term and medium term while performing in the short term.

For all the talk of giving managers time, have you ever considered that Arteta or whoever won't give us time?

Picture it, two years from now, we're middling around in 7th, Kroenke won't loosen the purse strings any further, this squad is at the end of their cycle and Mikel is frustrated (let's be real no one in football ever blames themselves). City come calling for Mikel to replace Pep.

What do you think he's going to do? He forced his way out of Everton and went to City because he thought it would be the best for him.

Us giving Arteta time is the best course of action for Arteta, not Arsenal. Right now, I feel like we're on project Arteta, where Mikel will get his experience, go off to a club with more money in a few years and we won't be substantially better off.

So if there is any chance that Arteta becomes a good manager we should sack him before he ditches us? Sell Saka next summer to Liverpool before he leaves on free agent after 4 years?

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
So if there is any chance that Arteta becomes a good manager we should sack him before he ditches us? Sell Saka next summer to Liverpool before he leaves on free agent after 4 years?

Not what I mean and you know it, don't be disingenuous. Have you forgotten Nasri, RVP and all the other pond **** who put in mediocre performances or went through a purple patches or were habitually injured then left the club as soon as they were on the up? That is why I had little problem with Fabregas leaving. How he left? Sure. But he also put in years and years of great performances.

I don't want us to be Arteta's training ground. If he wins the league and leaves, great. If we give him these mythical three years and we're still nowhere near the top 4 and he leaves. We'd have wasted our time investing in a manager who got us nowhere and ditched us. Exactly like what we did with the likes of Denilson, Song and Nasri

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Not fussed to see you leave. You haven't contributed anything but negativity.
tenor.gif

Not what I mean and you know it, don't be disingenuous. Have you forgotten Nasri, RVP and all the other pond **** who put in mediocre performances or went through a purple patches or were habitually injured then left the club as soon as they were on the up? That is why I had little problem with Fabregas leaving. How he left? Sure. But he also put in years and years of great performances.

I don't want us to be Arteta's training ground. If he wins the league and leaves, great. If we give him these mythical three years and we're still nowhere near the top 4 and he leaves. We'd have wasted our time investing in a manager who got us nowhere and ditched us. Exactly like what we did with the likes of Denilson, Song and Nasri

Well, this is modern Arsenal. Players will keep leaving us for better things and probably the manager too not in the long distant future.

I think GDeep is right. When you appoint a novice manager you are expecting to give him more time than you would with other managers.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
I think GDeep is right. When you appoint a novice manager you are expecting to give him more time than you would with other managers.
They tried the short term, quick fix to get back into the CL when they paid big money in 17/18 for Lacazette, Auba, Mkhi and a new deal for Özil. That team had a small window with Cech, Monreal and Kos coming to the end of their prime along with Ramsey running his deal down. Since that project didn’t work out, they decided to try something different with this long-term approach under Arteta.

The only issue is that the club have sent mixed messages to the fans by spending big on some older players rather than going all in on the Hale End boys and young-ish talent like Tierney and Gabriel. I think that’s why there’s a disconnect between the two Arteta In/Out factions and their expectations for the team.

Goonger

Well, this is modern Arsenal. Players will keep leaving us for better things and probably the manager too not in the long distant future.

Exactly. If the board have the balls to appoint someone to Arsenal with no managerial experience whatsoever, then they should have the balls to see it through...unless a disaster run like the pre Xmas run was to be continuous.

They aren't going to sack after showing so much faith in him, giving him a promotion & more control, letting him work so closely with Edu to weed the bloat out. The guys not even had close to a proper pre season yet ffs.

Iceman10

Established Member
They tried the short term, quick fix to get back into the CL when they paid big money in 17/18 for Lacazette, Auba, Mkhi and a new deal for Özil. That team had a small window with Cech, Monreal and Kos coming to the end of their prime along with Ramsey running his deal down. Since that project didn’t work out, they decided to try something different with this long-term approach under Arteta.

The only issue is that the club have sent mixed messages to the fans by spending big on some older players rather than going all in on the Hale End boys and young-ish talent like Tierney and Gabriel. I think that’s why there’s a disconnect between the two Arteta In/Out factions and their expectations for the team.

Yeah, if you are in a rebuild project it is a bit Frankenstein to have your players for the future benched so much for players in Willian and Luiz in the twilight of their careers. Mainly mixed messages. In the case of Willian it is also a case of putting so much outlay on such a player in the first place but I think the club has learned a lesson because I saw some rhetoric coming out explaining why they were pumping the brakes on Ryan Bertrand recently.

Reactions: A_G

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Hale End products are there to make dough for investment in the senior team. The level most want us to be at on AM means 99% from Hale End wont make it here. Saka and ESR are the level to be reached, and they’re rare. While Willock looks borderline with what he’s doing at Newcastle right now, to think Nketiah, Nelson, AMN, etc are that level is ridiculous. And they’ve been given plenty of opportunity in my opinion, enough to show their serious limitations.

Sell and reinvest.

And don’t start about Martinelli, Guendouzi, or Saliba.

Iceman10

Established Member
Hale End products are there to make dough for investment in the senior team. The level most want us to be at on AM means 99% from Hale End wont make it here. Saka and ESR are the level to be reached, and they’re rare. While Willock looks borderline with what he’s doing at Newcastle right now, to think Nketiah, Nelson, AMN, etc are that level is ridiculous. And they’ve been given plenty of opportunity in my opinion, enough to show their serious limitations.

Sell and reinvest.

The problem with this is it logically progresses to a clown dance because if you are saying forget the youth, the ready made buys were the right ones, then why are we mid table? ... and when that is pointed out you will be back to “rebuild” stuff.. and so on.

Being midtable for a club like Arsenal is really only palatable if you are doing it with players you are saying will be stars in a few years so the patience is worth it. Not just two of such players, but 5-6 of such players in starting line ups.

Reactions: Kav

al-Ustaadh

The problem with this is it logically progresses to a clown dance because if you are saying forget the youth, the ready made buys were the right ones, then why are we mid table? ... and then you will be back to “rebuild” stuff.

Being midtable for a club like Arsenal is really only palatable if you are doing it with players you are saying will be stars in a few years so the patience is worth it. Not just two of such players, but 5-6 of such players in starting line ups.
I didn’t say forget the youth. But to think we’ll produce half a starting 11 with our academy in one generation is dumb. Most will be sold. Bye bye to Nelson, Nketiah, and AMN.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Under Arteta...Saka and ESR have become important players for us, while Eddie has had a good amount of chances too...Niles and Nelson haven't really been given a chance, while I feel he still might have faith in Joe.

Think he has done alright on thr Hale End side, not every young player will make it here as others have said.

Feel Niles not making it here is on Niles, tbh...if he focused on being a fullback for us, I feel he could make that position his own...Neslon I am unsure of, but least Arteta has allowed Saka and Emile to improve, you can't play them all.

Last edited:

Iceman10

Established Member
I didn’t say forget the youth. But to think we’ll produce half a starting 11 with our academy in one generation is dumb. Most will be sold. Bye bye to Nelson, Nketiah, and AMN.

It is important to note that you are the one bringing up Hale End. Not all our younger players will be Hale End.

I am also ok with a few mid-20s players because they still have many seasons left in them, at least one more contract, and some development potential.

Players around 30 years old in particular though are not compatible with a club claiming to be in rebuild, telling its fans to be patient while that rebuild takes place.

Reactions: A_G

al-Ustaadh

Under Arteta...Saka and ESR have become important players for us, while Eddie has had a good amount of chances too...Niles and Nelson haven't really been giving a chance, while I feel he still might have faith in Joe.

Think he has done alright on thr Hale End side, not every young player will make it here as others have said.
Nelson and AMN have both been given chances. Nelson’s fault for staying when Arteta was trying to get him to go out on loan for game time. AMN wanted to play in midfield. Both have issues off the ball when not in possession. Not going to fly here. AMN has shown this even while at West Brom.

Arsenal Quotes

Dennis Bergkamp is the club's unconditional idol, a perfectionist whom I never saw make a careless technical move.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom