• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Teams who have won the CL more than us (never)

Celtic (1967),
Feyenoord (1970),
Aston Villa (1982),
Hamburg (1983),
Steaua Bucuresti (1986),
PSV Eindhoven (1988),
Red Star Belgrade (1991),
Marseille (1993),
BorussiaDortmund (1997),
Chelsea (2012),
Forest x2
Porto X 2
Benfica X 2

That's not including the big teams who have multiple.

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

I’m not comparing it with doubles – I’m talking single achievements. I’ve already said it’s not as big as a title. In the context of where we are though, it would be enormous. Now I’ve clarified, I think that’s fair to say.
No doubt it would be enormous for the club and in relative terms all things considered - yes we'd be massively punching.

I felt putting it on par with Wenger's achievements was unnecessary though. The stuff that happened in his time is literally the only reason we are remotely relevant in these tough times.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Mikel is still on for our best ever season at The Emirates...just has to win the Europa and overturn a 15 point gap on Leicester in 3rd with 10 games left, has a game in hand on them at least :lol:
:lol: You post so much that you’re brain’s clearly scrambling around for any set of random events that might just praise Arteta.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
People banter you about it, but for me Community Shield counts? I'm not one to dismiss tradition and atleast one of the teams involved is usually one of the best in the league.

Wish I knew someone who supports Sp**s, would never stop talking about all our Shield wins to them, would be hilarious :lol:

I would rather win the Shield than the League Cup, personally...nothing really against the League Cup (would like to win it too) just feel there shouldn't be 2 domestic cups...feels weird, plus it's overshadowed by the FA Cup anyway.

Last edited:

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Must admit a Community/Charity Shield win is always nice. Gets you up and giddy for the upcoming season, mostly for no reason.

Given our abysmal record in Europe, a Costa del Sol trophy would be a massive achievement.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
The FA Cup is bigger than Europa… I’ve heard it all now, albeit from forum flotsam 🤣
yeah old man....good to see you started to listen... still got that vile tongue going though. we will cure you of that too in time.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
No doubt it would be enormous for the club and in relative terms all things considered - yes we'd be massively punching.

I felt putting it on par with Wenger's achievements was unnecessary though. The stuff that happened in his time is literally the only reason we are remotely relevant in these tough times.
You have to look at it in the cold light of day though. A title is a title and a cup is a cup. Of course you can’t compare one Europa league title to Wengers 22 years or Wenger’s achievementS; that would be like comparing one Champions League title and what that might do for the club, to Wenger’s role in transforming us into a ‘super club’. Of course you take the latter if offered that back in 1997.

Riou

Must admit a Community/Charity Shield win is always nice. Gets you up and giddy for the upcoming season, mostly for no reason.

Given our abysmal record in Europe, a Costa del Sol trophy would be a massive achievement.

soccer-lg-amsterdam-tournament-2005-arsenal-v-fc-porto-amsterdam-arena-G8J6B6.jpg

...dat Amsterdam Cup though :drool:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

3rd/Europa/Shield...It will officially be our best season at The Emirates though, no one can debate that!
😂 Not a chance. 2nd rate knockout competition v the difficulty of going a whole season in the Prem unbeaten over all 38 games, a record that could last for 100 years. And finishing 3rd. :lol: :lol: You’re having a laugh. Why don’t you just go and lick Arteta’s shoes and have done.

kash2

its hard to value a cup where the top teams of europe, including the top 4 from your league, arent even participating. the only real quality happens in the semi or finals.. its a mediocrity cup, but now that it gives CL qualification, it has some value. Its basically the Emery of footballing compettitions.

Riou

😂 Not a chance. 2nd rate knockout competition v the difficulty of going a whole season in the Prem unbeaten over all 38 games, a record that could last for 100 years. And finishing 3rd. :lol: :lol: You’re having a laugh. Why don’t you just go and lick Arteta’s shoes and have done.

I am just talking about seasons at The Emirates...of course I wouldn't compare it to 03/04, despite everyone thinking it here, I am not insane :lol:

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

You have to look at it in the cold light of day though. A title is a title and a cup is a cup. Of course you can’t compare one Europa league title to Wengers 22 years or Wenger’s achievementS; that would be like comparing one Champions League title and what that might do for the club, to Wenger’s role in transforming us into a ‘super club’. Of course you take the latter if offered that back in 1997.
How has Wenger turned us into ‘super club’? We’re still very much a tier 2 Prem club along with Pool and Sp**s. Chelsea, United and City can outspend us for fun and have been able to for years. Do you even remember those clubs poaching all our best players whenever they wanted. Is that how a Super Club behaves :lol:

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
He clearly said best season at Emirates. People bringing up past history back to Highbury while melting down is telling.

kash2

How has Wenger turned us into ‘super club’? We’re still very much a tier 2 Prem club along with Pool and Sp**s. Chelsea, United and City can outspend us for fun and have been able to for years. Do you even remember those clubs poaching all our best players whenever they wanted. Is that how a Super Club behaves :lol:
Wenger pretty much stated it openly when he said, if you sell Nasri and Fabregas in one window, you cannot call yourself a big club.

just a walmart club infected by kroenke.

Riou

Despite never winning the Champions League, I reckon we did reach super club status.

In 2004/2005, we were probably the most famous team on the planet, after going unbeaten the season previous...the stadium move in 2006 changed that though eventually.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Well he did until he took us out of the CL with a squad that was capable of winning the league, but you don’t want to hear anything about that 🙈

Riou

This weirdly sounds like you are having a go at Wenger :lol:

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
Despite never winning the Champions League, I reckon we did reach super club status.

In 2004/2005, we were probably the most famous team on the planet, after going unbeaten the season previous...the stadium move in 2006 changed that though eventually.

Being from the US, I would agree somewhat at least here. I've only been a fan since around 2009/2010. In the early 2000s though, Gillette started running ads with Thierry Henry and other worldly known athletes over here in the States. I had no idea who he was but following sports sites explained who were all in the ad and led me to looking up highlights, etc.

Unfortunately, the US has had a negative attitude towards soccer for years (have to call it soccer since we are dominated by NFL, apologies) that has only recently started shifting over the past decade with tons of interest. Also, the unfortunate side of that is that since Arsenal have been a club struggling during this time, most of my friends are Chelsea and City fans (frontrunning fans picking top teams to follow, smh).

It's been a struggle to recruit new fans to Arsenal.

Arsenal Quotes

I knew we were very different, that he (Ferguson) had a total hold over his club while at that time I was still more of a coach. I also recognised his huge qualities. He knew how to surround himself with the right people and didn't rest on his laurels when he was successful.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom