• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Managerial Royalty

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
I asked you earlier, what’s your Arteta stance? The players aren’t good enough? Because most are here because of him.
But most are actually not on him. Look we aint got shedloads of money so cant spend . Most renewals are imho because of that. They would not be his choice but he is forced into cutting his cloth.
You have to get some players to renew to protect value in the hope you may sell to recoup funds.

We have as i said on another post had to give 100m of 'talent' away in jan who were never/no longer are good enough.
We have another 100m in laca & auba that decisions have/had to be made on.
We could not let them both run contracts down & recoup nothing. It happened to ramsey,
We have been so badly run when it comes to contracts the last few years its scary. That is not on Arteta.
If he wants to give Elneny who cost 8m a contract as a fourth choice CM ok its not breaking the bank, same with extending luiz for another year.
We cannot constantly be losing 100s of millions in assets through poor decisions largely from the board & previous managers.

Artetas/Edus paid for signings, considering restraints of spending have actually looked decent enough imho for the outlay.
Gabriel 24m Mari 10-12m

Partety 45m.

I dont have a problem with any of them. tbh i think they look like decent value.
I dont have a problem with cedric on a free as backup.
I expected more from William but these things happen.

As said although not ideal I think we had to extend either auba or laca as we could not let them both walk.
Auba seemed the logical one as he was on fire last season, unfortunately he has gone off the boil & it doesnt look the best decision right now?

Ok If he had walked in the summer & we would have had a similar season i guarantee this board would be having a far even bigger meltdown that it is now as we let auba go 🥱

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
So extend the bum Luiz again? Then you got that other bum who Arteta signed, Mari, who has been comical in early every game he’s played. Why did we sign him?

All this while we had Saliba, who again next season will still be a newbie and can’t be relied on as we haven’t developed him at all.

It’s all a mess.

You know my stance on Saliba, I probably wouldn't have even loaned him back to St. Etienne in the first place. Even if he had been a bit part player for the last two seasons, it would've been better for his development than sitting in the reserves for 6 months like he ended up doing.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Nobody said throw Saliba in the team and let him drown, clearly it’s a development process where you play him in lesser games like in the EL and slowly bring him on.

You waffle a lot. Full of poor excuses as to why we’ve been midtable all season.
Whatever 🤣 Not my problem if you cant handle some reasoned debate on why we are where we are is it?
You waffle too, its just you have some kind of illusion that throwing loads of unproven kids at it is the answer. Its more delusion than illusion tbf. (Shiny, Shiny)

I dont expect you to like it but maybe take off the blinkers & look at the big picture of how the club has declined and made some poor decisions in the last 5 years👍.

We are where we are now because of the failings of many in recent times, Its not just coz we have a rookie coach, who i hasten to add won us the fa cup last year.

I think saliba should have been loaned to an English club in the summer to adapt & brought back when we got rid of mustafi.
I think that was the plan & obviously it was messed up.
That is pobably on Arteta/Edu tbf i think Arteta has acknowledged that.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I think that is a fair point. Some of their players have adapted better.
Also their relative flops like a 30m iwobi are not as costly as an 80m pepe.

But if you swap managers im not sure Carlo has us doing significantly better at the current time tbh.
If Arteta was managing West Ham would they be top 4?

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Bit sick of seeing this on social media platforms tbf. Fergie had managed 3 clubs and a national team before going to United. He’d already won the Scottish league, the Scottish cup, and beat Real Madrid in the final of the European cup.

He hadn’t just been an assistant with an iPad.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

He has, but how’s he been generally? Was it worth investing him with minutes when you could’ve played and developed Saliba?
The answer is no. Plain and simple.

For sure people will make excuses; he wasn't ready, we don't want to be "exposing" him in a bad season, look how many goals Nice have conceeded, bla bla bla fuking bla.

We've wasted time Luiz when Saliba should've been worked in. We've wasted time with Elneny when we could've worked someone else in, Joe, AMN even potentially Azeez, take your pick.

It looks like it may be coming to an end but we've wasted time with Willian when Nelson and Martinelli should've and should be getting his minutes.

It's frustrating to me tbh and it's one of the biggest issues I take umbrage with, would I be surprised if we offered Luiz a contract? Nope.

Should we offer him a contract? Pay him 100k+? Hell no, but people will argue we should.

So extend the bum Luiz again? Then you got that other bum who Arteta signed, Mari, who has been comical in early every game he’s played. Why did we sign him?

All this while we had Saliba, who again next season will still be a newbie and can’t be relied on as we haven’t developed him at all.

It’s all a mess.

This. People keep telling me our squad is somehow top4 quality but it is not. You mention Luiz and Mari who are terrible. Holding is one of my favorites but he is not up to the required standard. That leaves us with Gabriel who has been a bit hit and miss. Talented for sure. But someway until he gets there.

Full backs? Bellerin has not been good, even the people who believe in top4 think he is a bum. Chambers is not good enough although I like him. Cedric is playing way much for a player that was left out of Europe to find a contract. Nobody wanted him. He is terrible. Tierney is a top-class but are we really a top4 material in these positions when he is injured? No.

Midfield is all over the place. Ceballos has been terrible, Xhaka has improved but always has that **** up in him. Thomas has given us zero since joining, hopefully, that can improve. Elneny? NO WAY.

Auba, Laca, Pepe, all decent players but I've been saying forever if they are played together we might get away with it against smaller teams but overall that line-up lack balance all over the place. Even with Pepe out, as soon as Auba is on the wing you can see us starting to struggle. Willian has the most assists and he is having a **** season. What does that tell about Pepe and Auba?

ESR and Saka are talented and young. They are not ready to carry attack for a whole season. Ödegaard has been hit and miss. Probably could become good with game time.

Leno then has been **** tier this season. Not good enough.

BOTTOM LINE: There is no way this squad is good enough to be consistent over a whole season. We are lacking so much not only technically but also mentally. We can probably be higher but competing for top4 I'm not sure. We are a long way from developing team cohesion and chemistry between players. And I agree Arteta could be doing better on that front. Arteta and Edu needed to start with a long-term vision before this season. I think we should have developed better this season for the future. But we are always in this limbo we want top4 right now and nobody can wait so managers who come here will feel forced to go with their more experienced players.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Clown or not I'd start Luiz in the El final. SImilarly to Xhaka you can strangely trust him to rise to the big occasions.

What did Xhaka rise to in the EL final against Chelsea? Or any of the big games we've lost with him playing? Did I miss the Xhaka masterclass in our Carling Cup defeat against City?

Did Luiz go off injured in the 7-1 against Germany?

If you want to talk about them "rising to the big occasions" then it's only fair to acknowledge the other side of the coin and recognise why people wouldn't trust those two.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Bit sick of seeing this on social media platforms tbf. Fergie had managed 3 clubs and a national team before going to United. He’d already won the Scottish league, the Scottish cup, and beat Real Madrid in the final of the European cup.

Fergie won a European trophy before United?!

Everybody keeps trying to justify Arteta as being the 1/100 case where a complete rookie is so good. We all wanted it to happen but football isn’t the sport for fairy tales. What’s happening now is basically the most probably outcome when you hire a rookie for a job that needs lots of experience.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Saliba probably won’t be here next season will he? Think he only signed a four year deal which we’ve wasted two years of. Awful management and a massive error from everybody involved. £30m on somebody you loan out for two years?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Fergie won a European trophy before United?!

Everybody keeps trying to justify Arteta as being the 1/100 case where a complete rookie is so good. We all wanted it to happen but football isn’t the sport for fairy tales. What’s happening now is basically the most probably outcome when you hire a rookie for a job that needs lots of experience.

Yeah he broke up the Old Firm with Aberdeen which was just mental.

Even before that he was a boss at his previous two smaller clubs. The guy was a managing savant ffs.

It’s why the Arteta comparisons are jokes. We moved from Klopp comparisons now that timeline is out of date to Ferguson ones where we bin off his entire pre-Utd history.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Saliba probably won’t be here next season will he? Think he only signed a four year deal which we’ve wasted two years of. Awful management and a massive error from everybody involved. £30m on somebody you loan out for two years?
He'd be nuts or a boyhood Arsenal fan to come back there's nothing for him here :lol:

Better off rebuilding in France or wherever for sure.

Yeah he broke up the Old Firm with Aberdeen which was just mental.

Even before that he was a boss at his previous two smaller clubs. The guy was a managing savant ffs.

It’s why the Arteta comparisons are jokes. We moved from Klopp comparisons now that timeline is out of date to Ferguson ones where we bin off his entire pre-Utd history.

Has there actually be Arteta/Ferguson comparisions? I know I mention Ferguson but only related that sometimes managers need time to put their stamp on the team. Not that Arteta would ever reach Ferguson level or anything like that...

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger

I thank every god people believe in that Gary Neville isn't our manager or any other bum. These guys would support Roy Hodgson to the bitter end

Comparing Arteta to the greatest manager of all time. Even Mikel's mum doesn't believe that he can deliver 1/4 of what Ferguson did for United.

For every Ferguson you have Juande Ramos, Tim Sherwood, Martin Jol, Alan Shearer, Chris Hughton, Steve Bruce, Alan Pardew, Joe Kinnear, John Carver, Steve McClaren.

That's only from two clubs

Arsenal Quotes

I play on the right, Tony on the left and we'll deal with whoever comes along, big or small

Martin Keown

Daily Transfer Updates

Wednesday, May 22

Manchester United have joined Arsenal in the race to sign Ajax LB Jorrel Hato, but the player prefers a move to North London [HITC]

Benjamin Šeško will decide before the Euros whether he wants to leave Leipzig or sign a new contract [Fabrizio Romano]

Arsenal have made an official offer of €20m + €5m add-ons to Fenerbache for LB Ferdi Kadıoğlu [Sabah Spor]

Arsenal are interested in Feyenoord GK Justin Bijlow [Telegraaf]

Justin Bijlow could be available for around £10m [John Cross - The Mirror]

Newcastle are adamant Bruno Guimaraes will not be leaving the club unless his release clause is triggered [The Telegraph]

Arsenal admire Newcastle forward Alexander Isak, but the club insist they will not discuss a deal for less than double the £90m price being mentioned in the media [The Telegraph]

Sambi Lokonga says he has decided to leave Arsenal and his agent is now looking for a solution [Chris Wheatley]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom