• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

blrgooner

Established Member
I find your comment largely reasonable with exception of your last paragraph which will mainly be left as agree to disagree. Point is we are midtable with Elneny & Ceballos, who have had considerable match time even though they are mainly backups for Xhaka/Partey. If we had given that match time to Willock and AMN we wouldn't have been relegated, but at least would have learned more as part of the overall "project", instead of Elneny who should have no future at Arsenal, and a loanee (Ceballos). By the end of the season then we would pretty much *all* be in agreement as to whether to sell or keep.

Also, minor quibble. It is reasonable to expect around 6th position with this squad. We won't be bringing in any manager to just work with this squad. It isn't static, and we all assume sells and buys this summer, in tandem with ongoing development of some younger players, for overall work in getting back towards Top 4.
With regards to your first point, I think you need to go with the best team you can at all point of times.I know we are 9th now, but we could have finished 6-7th if some other results went our way and if we had had more luck. I don`t think we should have risked that. So I don`t think I agree with the argument that we should have played Willock and AMN because we wouldn`t have got relegated with them.
Regarding the second point, I do agree. This mean that any manager we bring in again should be someone who could work in the long run. We should be able to accept highs and lows and slow improvement. Thats exactly the reason I am not completely against Arteta though. We wouldn`t get anywhere if we expect a new coach to come be as good as Wenger and get top 4 position while playing youngsters and also playing attacking football. I think its not even fair to expect that.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
@Riou, are you making a list for the I told you so post in about 18 months?

download-8.png

"Here's a list of 1,004 posters I want to say 'I told you so' about Arteta...poster number 1 - Macho, poster number 2 - armbar..."

Tagging @Camron in this, because I am kinda proud of this one :lol:

UnbiasedNeutral

If I don't survive, tell my wife "hello"
Maybe the pundits are criticizing Arteta because they can look at it more objectively and see that your squad is crap and there's clearly a rebuilding process needed.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Does that mean they're going to bring in the 4 or 5 players this summer, or is that also going to be a gradual thing? We've been 4 or 5 players away for years, either do it all in one summer or don't bother.

Yeah but if we lose a player then we’re 5 or 6 away.

That way it can go on forever.

Weliveinacrazyworld

A very, very well known member
I’m looking at the Chelsea vs Real Madrid highlights and I can’t help but wonder how Lampard had this team all the way down to 9th.... seeing Chelsea with Tuchel compared to seeing Chelsea with Lampard is like night and day. The power of having an experienced manager versus a rookie manager.

If only the Arsenal board weren’t so blind to see Arteta is clearly NOT the man for us. Sack this fool already!!!!

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

That "x number of players away" line triggers me so badly.

Like the dude isn't even making full use of the squad at the moment.

So I do photography on the side....a little but of click action. And you see that often people fall into the trap of thinking that they need a better camera or a better lens to take better pictures.

Most of the time the "gear" they have is more than adequate but they need to improve their skills; so they need to learn to use light more properly or learn better composition etc.

I'm beginning to question if it's the same with Arteta. In that we hear it that he needs his own players but I wonder if he'd be better served squeezing out the potential in the already decent players here (well the ones that are decent I should say).

That's not to say we are perfect and certainly you look at a brother like Pep and getting him expensive hand picked players makes a difference but still, it's unrealistic given our position that Arteta will have a team only consisting of HIS players.

Iceman10

Established Member
With regards to your first point, I think you need to go with the best team you can at all point of times.I know we are 9th now, but we could have finished 6-7th if some other results went our way and if we had had more luck. I don`t think we should have risked that. So I don`t think I agree with the argument that we should have played Willock and AMN because we wouldn`t have got relegated with them.
Regarding the second point, I do agree. This mean that any manager we bring in again should be someone who could work in the long run. We should be able to accept highs and lows and slow improvement. Thats exactly the reason I am not completely against Arteta though. We wouldn`t get anywhere if we expect a new coach to come be as good as Wenger and get top 4 position while playing youngsters and also playing attacking football. I think its not even fair to expect that.
Think there is a bit of a misunderstanding here. I never conceded Elneny and Ceballos were the better options. The best and worst case with Willock and ANN cannot be precisely defined, but all I said is we wouldn't have been relegated regardless. The difference between 10th and 15th isn't meaningful. Actually carrying through a "project" when you say you are instead of band-aids is.

I just pointed out Elneny/Ceballos have proven to be deadenders meaning we've wasted a season with players we know are going nowhere and therefore have no learnings or progress with what is supposed to be a "project". To be fair to Ceballos he had a decent run-in last season but when things weren't going well for him this season and it was clear he wasn't proving we should buy him.on a permanent his minutes should have gone elsewhere. We have depreciated AMN as an asset through marginalisation, and in a Covid situation where the club is losing money that is not smart.

For Willock I have gone into his upside and potential ceiling in his thread. With few exceptions (Cesc, Jack), it is hard for any CM under 22 years old to be a consistent high performer in the PL. They need match time to maintain and grow technical skills while patience is afforded for things to click with tactical and positional awareness, as well as decision making. Many on here at A-M were saying "sell, sell, sell" for Aaron Rsmsey when Arsène was giving him lots of minutes when it looked to people here that his progress had stalled out, because they didn't understand. Willock is breaking through with decision making and we are seeing it in part with end product now, and I'm sure he can take that forwards in refining an overall #8 role long term.

Willock and AMN are still developing players in young age. Elneny and Ceballos are proving to be deadenders, and again, we're talking about overall backups to Xhaka/Partey here, not expected first choice regulars for this season.

mirrorstare

I’m looking at the Chelsea vs Real Madrid highlights and I can’t help but wonder how Lampard had this team all the way down to 9th....

Lampard played more interesting football than Tuchel, he just had a bad month and the curse of being the team that splurged the cash, forcing himself into a corner to justify that spending.

Werner had no problem admitting if only he could score some sitters on that period Lampard would still be around, and Tuchel with less pressure could wait until Ziyech and Havertz started kicking and focus more on being stable than on flexing their new signings, but even then you can see none of them has set the world alight.

Their player of the season is easily the guy that was memed as Lampard's son, and Lampard proved his worth both with a top 4 finish despite not being able to sign reinforcements and helping Chelsea finally make good use of their youth setup they kept ignoring for so long. Not a bad legacy for a rookie, this really could be huge for Chelsea in the long term.

I wish I could say something similar about Arteta, but there isn't anything salvageable and that's why so many people are scared of whoever comes next. Not because they actually believe the crap about nobody being able to do a better job than him, but because they know behind Artetaball there is absolutely nothing worth rescuing and they don't want to swallow another rebuild process story.

But that's what you do when you make a big mistake, you start from scratch after learning the lesson. The sooner we can do this the better for the club.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Think there is a bit of a misunderstanding here. I never conceded Elneny and Ceballos were the better options. The best and worst case with Willock and ANN cannot be precisely defined, but all I said is we wouldn't have been relegated regardless. The difference between 10th and 15th isn't meaningful. Actually carrying through a "project" when you say you are instead of band-aids is.

I just pointed out Elneny/Ceballos have proven to be deadenders meaning we've wasted a season with players we know are going nowhere and therefore have no learnings or progress with what is supposed to be a "project". To be fair to Ceballos he had a decent run-in last season but when things weren't going well for him this season and it was clear he wasn't proving we should buy him.on a permanent his minutes should have gone elsewhere. We have depreciated AMN as an asset through marginalisation, and in a Covid situation where the club is losing money that is not smart.

For Willock I have gone into his upside and potential ceiling in his thread. With few exceptions (Cesc, Jack), it is hard for any CM under 22 years old to be a consistent high performer in the PL. They need match time to maintain and grow technical skills while patience is afforded for things to click with tactical and positional awareness, as well as decision making. Many on here at A-M were saying "sell, sell, sell" for Aaron Rsmsey when Arsène was giving him lots of minutes when it looked to people here that his progress had stalled out, because they didn't understand. Willock is breaking through with decision making and we are seeing it in part with end product now, and I'm sure he can take that forwards in refining an overall #8 role long term.

Willock and AMN are still developing players in young age. Elneny and Ceballos are proving to be deadenders, and again, we're talking about overall backups to Xhaka/Partey here, not expected first choice regulars for this season.

Developing =/= better, cause Willock and AMN can count themselves lucky if they become as good as Elneny in the future. Again we're talking about overall backups to Xhaka/Partey here, not expected first choice regulars for this season, and it's not like we would be in a much better place if Willock and AMN were performing better. Their talent level isn't so high that they could be carrying us.

Iceman10

Established Member
Developing =/= better, cause Willock and AMN can count themselves lucky if they become as good as Elneny in the future. Again we're talking about overall backups to Xhaka/Partey here, not expected first choice regulars for this season, and it's not like we would be in a much better place if Willock and AMN were performing better. Their talent level isn't so high that they could be carrying us.
Quite something to see a comment saying players would be lucky to be as good as Elneny. Think I'll leave it there without going into another case of subjectivity stated as matter of fact, something I personally try to avoid.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Quite something to see a comment saying players would be lucky to be as good as Elneny. Think I'll leave it there without going into another case of subjectivity stated as matter of fact, something I personally try to avoid.

Elneny is an average player but he is better than Willock and AMN in almost everything. Passes better, has better touch, defends better, positions himself better. This is not an opinion, it is a fact. Willock and AMN needs to improve a lot just to become as average as Elneny.

Arsenal Quotes

When you grow up with a club and you end up playing for them and winning things, you are from that club. I was born here. I was formulated here.

Liam Brady
Top Bottom