• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Chaoz_Enigma

Came across this old video of the end of the Wenger era and our style of play looks like a different sport compared to Mikel's Arsenal...

We would be lucky now if we see 2 of those combinations in a match nowadays. Clearly Wenger gaves much more freedom to players to express themselves and to actually enjoy the game.

But the key difference is really the midfield, even at our worst then we still had the likes of Ramsey, Wilshere, Mkhitaryan and Özil combining in midfield and scoring goals. Now our midfield is quite limited.. Not enough protection for the defense and no goal threat whatsover.

Even Saka and ESR are not scary to play against... ESR still has to score more than 2 PL goals in a season. Not sure Saka scored even 5 goals in the PL.

I highly doubt Lokonga alone can fix this issue and not sure you can teach "goalscoring". Very hard to be optimistic...

Its easy to get compilations of good football across a season. heck i think there is also a compilation of arteta's
Wenger latter days provides our fans with lots of tears too....although Wenger still managed to get higher position than what we have now.

Chaoz_Enigma

Yeah I have to agree with this. I mean I was slapping up Xhaka in his thread, and whilst I strongly think that Xhaka should be warming the bench (he should be burning a hole in that b!tch lol), I think a big problem is how predictable our patterns of attack are.

But what I'm wondering is what the plan is with Arteta? Surely he knows that we are way too obvious if we continue to basically funnel the ball to Tierney and cross/cutback.

But we still look so choreographed in attack. And honestly I can't think of one game really under Arteta in which we've clearly dominated from start to finish (maybe we could point to the two West Brom games? YMMV there, but some would argue if we dominated start to finish even in those games).

So here we are, still too rigid in attack, we look stiffer than Don Robbie when he tried to dance.

We need more movement, more playing between the lines, more through balls and all of that type of play. Just more variation in attack in general. Easier said than done of course, especially against an organised opposition but we just look too one dimensional.
I think when we transition from defence to midfield and lastly to attack is too slow imo. most often than not when we build up our attacks opponents have managed to regrouped in their half and we are stuck in playing doughnut football. if our passings in the middle and mobility from the wings are faster may we could progress much faster. A good example are our counter attacks towards our FA cup run in 2019/2020, we pass fast through the middle or right, to switch to the left before scoring. nowadays we are just too slow and when temas starts to have organised blocks against us, we just suffered with no mobilities in the middle and out of ideas for incisive pass. well we did have some good moments when ESR do half turns to receive pass at advance areas, its these situations that need to happen more. more often our right side lost the ball when pepe overplay his dribble when attacking in too advanced area we need to improve on this as well.

Chaoz_Enigma

A damning indictment of your credentials when you've been almost been 2 years into your post & you're still tinkering with your strategies with no clue on how to apply them in real time or get "your" players on board with them.

His days here are numbered, all we need is for Farke to turn the screw & send him tumbling down his own table to clubs of his true level like QPR or Birmingham.
Look, SAF got about 5 years in sh*te united before they became the global super power club (he got loads of sticks from the fanbase for being clueless for long long time but the hierarchy still stuck by him). Wenger was an anomaly where he brought instant success and a legend to be able to do that.
I am not trying to invocate patience as that is everyone's right to have or not for Arsenal. What I want to say is that I love Arsenal so much and want it to be successful once again. If the club has to have a long periods of rough patch I am prepared to support it through thick and thin. Whether me buying tickets or merchandise will help the team or enriching the owners instead (or both), I will still be willing.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I was listening to The Arsenal Opinion podcast (I know I know Pete is a dumb*ss), but they were making a good point especially Johnny.

They made the point that Arteta would rather start a player in Cedric that he dropped last season and doesn't even want to play despite AMN proving he has the tools to become a great RB (look at the FA run).

Just look at our starting back line against City:

Tierney - Kolasinac - Holding - Chambers - Soares

Arteta should be fired for that back line alone. In what rational world does a manager pick Kolasinac (a guy he loaned out in January last year despite having no back up LB) and Soares (a guy he clearly gives 0 f*cks about) when we have AMN and Tavares?

How can Arteta have so many problems with so many players. Sure a guy like AMN may not be your archetype quiet hard working kid, but how many players are really calm characters. Then further to that how many are good and potentially class that we can also afford?

It's like any deviation from his perfect type of player and Tets's ego just cannot handle it.

How have we ended up with Holding, Chambers, Gabriel and White and you could make a good argument that Saliba is atleast as good or better than most of them yet can't get a look in (all you Ligue 1 haters can s*ck a d!ck, do not even @ me, just keep moving).

They also made the point that I've made over and over and over again but how in god's name is Lacazette still here? Apparently we had a decent offer for him last summer, you have to take it, you have to.

Not because he's a bad player, infact the contrary you could argue. But because we don't need him enough to pay him what? 150k - 180k a week? Just to lose him for nothing and continue to play Auba on the wing (ok it's happening less now but the point still stands).

What kind of management is that?

I'll tell you what; it's horrible man management, that's not even touching his boring, uninspiring style of play that literally needs all 11 players to be on perfect song to look good.

F*ck off Arteta.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I think if the club wants to deliver Arteta's promise, then they need to pair him up with an actual master director of football and proven club system developer.

Go for Rangnick and let Arteta work under him. Either Mikel survives this baptism of fire or he is run out of the club soon thereafter. If Mikel doesnt want that demotion then he goes. A win, win for all.

Send Edu packing as soon as Ralph agrees to jump ship and join our youth project.

Last edited:

TornadoTed

Established Member
If ever there was a paragraph that sums up our football under Mikel it's this one from the article on the previous page. I truly can't wrap my head around how he is still our manager.

Our current possession based build up from the back has been to be quite frank, bloody awful. It is slow, laborious, and honestly very easy to defend against. You can see as soon as the ball rolls into a FB or midfield and the opponent presses that we just roll backwards and it is back pass after back pass before having to go long. If we do manage to play out, it is so slow that the opposition has plenty of time to get 9 or 10 players behind the ball. Effectively killing our space to play, before Tierney crosses to nobody.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Look, SAF got about 5 years in sh*te united before they became the global super power club (he got loads of sticks from the fanbase for being clueless for long long time but the hierarchy still stuck by him). Wenger was an anomaly where he brought instant success and a legend to be able to do that.
I am not trying to invocate patience as that is everyone's right to have or not for Arsenal. What I want to say is that I love Arsenal so much and want it to be successful once again. If the club has to have a long periods of rough patch I am prepared to support it through thick and thin. Whether me buying tickets or merchandise will help the team or enriching the owners instead (or both), I will still be willing.

No one's disputing that as it's your right as an Arsenal fan. And we all love the club dearly. Otherwise, we wouldn't be agonizing over its plight :lol:

Arteta has not shown he's able to either galvanize the team or imprint his "tactics" on them.

Patience is a fine virtue, but sometimes, you realize it's not a matter of patience when it comes to a management appointment that has failed on all accounts.

We're patient by necessity, not by choice.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Remember when we had the likes of Rosicky Mikel and Santi instead of Arteta midfield of Xhaka/Elneny?

People saying my boy Coquelin wasn't good enough for us, despite him saving our season in 2014/2015.

Now he is winning European trophies, while we aren't even in Europe anymore...this fanbase deserves Xhaka and Elneny!

Makavelii

Even if the club have agreed to give Mikel a certain amount of time, surely Mikel at some point has to just concede he’s not up to it and make way for someone else?

Taxi Driver

Even if the club have agreed to give Mikel a certain amount of time, surely Mikel at some point has to just concede he’s not up to it and make way for someone else?

He's probably not getting such high salary anytime soon (if ever). On top of that, he'll want to be sacked in order to receive that juicy severance package. Lastly, resigning would pretty much destroy what's left of his very fragile career. It'll not happen.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.

Managers hadly ever do that, and they really shouldn't.

You need to back yourself in this profession. Seeing as they usually take over for someone who couldn't do it and got the sack, saying you can't change a situation around is admiting you can't be a manager.

The club is the one making the mistake of promoting him and then keeping him on board.

Malky

Established Member
You're not seriously comparing Arteta to SAF? :facepalm::lol::lol::lol:

blaze_of_glory

So Emery got the sack for finishing in 5th place & Arteta gets the non stop backing even after finishing outside Europe 1st time in our lifetime. A goal like this is how we should be playing & at least Emery & Wenger had us doing this. I don't see how he's still getting the backing when 2 managers score goals like this & he's taken our permission to do this stuff anymore?
To be fair, that goal went so against Emery's style that he benched Özil after that game.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
So Emery got the sack for finishing in 5th place & Arteta gets the non stop backing even after finishing outside Europe 1st time in our lifetime. A goal like this is how we should be playing & at least Emery & Wenger had us doing this. I don't see how he's still getting the backing when 2 managers score goals like this & he's taken our permission to do this stuff anymore?

Look at that beauty. I remember how that goal felt. I haven't felt that way, probably since that day. certainly not in the past year. Doubt I'll ever feel that way again watching Arsenal under Arteta.

scytheavatar

Established Member

If he does that his managerial career is over. No one is dumb enough to hire a manager who runs away when the going gets tough.

Arsenal Quotes

I don’t look at the passport of people; I look at their quality and their attitude.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom