• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Nicolas Pepe: Saint Nic Is Back

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Talented player whose been badly treated at Arsenal. In and out of the team like a yo yo, hardly lends itself to consistency. It was clear at the start that Arteta didn't want him when he replaced him with Willian. He should move on asap, his career has stalled.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Should probably look to leave England in the summer, not really the league for him.

Least he can always say he has a cup final winning assist v Chelsea to his name, pretty decent.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Ødegaard
Before it was pepe needed to outlast emery because emery didn't know to use him / want him. (even I believed that then). Now pepe needs to outlast arteta 😂 it will just go on. It's good he gets assists here and there but breaks down so many attacks. No wonder the 2 proper good attacking games we had in the league was when he didn't start. Obviously can't blame him for the price. That's our stupidity. But he doesn't deserve to start.

Maybe can put him back at lw. Did seem to do well there few times last season. But again that would mean moving esr away from there who is currently our most in form player.

Tomb Bombadil

If he can't cement his place in the team this year I guess then we should sell him. It looks like he doesn't fit into our team that well. Did we really pay £70m?

At what price would you sell him?

Maybe Newcastle needs a new attacking winger.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
But that's stupid? whatever, I've hit my Pepe quota today will be back fend you all off tomorrow.
Haha, it is stupid but generally football fans aren't exactly know for putting logic over emotions 😁

Why is it stupid? You spend big money expecting a player to be a talisman and he's a dud of course people aren't going to like it. Arsenal spend so much money just to get worse and players like Pepe are why we're here now.

He got the kiddy glove treatment in his first 2 seasons here to the point we were cracking jokes about him being treated like he came from Hale End but that goodwill has run out. Although I do agree all our forwards should be cut a lot of slack under Arteta's system.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Why is it stupid? You spend big money expecting a player to be a talisman and he's a dud of course people aren't going to like it. Arsenal spend so much money just to get worse and players like Pepe are why we're here now.

He got the kiddy glove treatment in his first 2 seasons here to the point we were cracking jokes about him being treated like he came from Hale End but that goodwill has run out. Although I do agree all our forwards should be cut a lot of slack under Arteta's system.

Well it's not Pepe's fault he cost the amount he did, that's on Raul etc. We massively overpayed for him, I don't think many would argue that point.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Well it's not Pepe's fault he cost the amount he did, that's on Raul etc. We massively overpayed for him, I don't think many would argue that point.
Clubs do that all the time, we've had only a few big investments in Pepe and Auba and the result of them was OK. Do you guys think Chelsea fans will be as depressed as Arsenal fans here because their investments in Havertz, Kepa, and Werner didn't pay off and all of them look worse than Pepe? No, they won't bother as they will make other transfers work for them, but we're gonna spend five years here discussing how much Raul spent on Pepe. He spent that money on a player who just scored 22 goals in the league and was entering his prime.

The problem with his transfer was never the fee, it's the fact that managers didn't want him in the first place and they've maid everything in their power for Pepe to fail here. Even Havertz who is basically useless plays more than Pepe in a much stronger team, they actually want to make something out of that transfer unlike us

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Why is it stupid?
It's stupid because

1. Players don't decide his own fees, how many times have you heard a player say "I'm not moving there, they are paying too much for me"? I'm sure there's a case somewhere but to my knowledge it's never happened.

2. I've done this bit countless times, but how many big signings over the 50 mil mark have come and changed a club immediately? Couple Pool signings and Fernandes aside it just doesn't happen. Usually it goes the way of Werner. Lukaku hasn't had the impact many told themselves he would either as well. I'll throw in Sancho too.

3. Furthermore the club has spent hundreds of millions since Pepe, so whilst you may lose sleep over it - they guys that spent the money clearly do not it's really not as deep as some of you make it.

The price tag is just an excuse to go HAM for some of you.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

It's stupid because

1. Players don't decide his own fees, how many times have you heard a player say "I'm not moving there, they are paying too much for me"? I'm sure there's a case somewhere but to my knowledge it's never happened.

2. I've done this bit countless times, but how many big signings over the 50 mil mark have come and changed a club immediately? Couple Pool signings and Fernandes aside it just doesn't happen. Usually it goes the way of Werner. Lukaku hasn't had the impact many told themselves he would either as well. I'll throw in Sancho too.

3. Furthermore the club has spent hundreds of millions since Pepe, so whilst you may lose sleep over it - they guys that spent the money clearly do not it's really not as deep as some of you make it.

If Pepe is bad, he's bad init, would we have finished 8th place if he cost 5 mil? yes.
You would cuss him the same way too - the price tag is just an excuse to go HAM for some of you.

Good posting. I was howling when I saw Lukaku only scored three PL goals, somehow I had it in my head he was scoring week in week out. :lol:

BigPoppaPump

It's stupid because

If Pepe is bad, he's bad init, would we have finished 8th place if he cost 5 mil? yes.
You would cuss him the same way too - the price tag is just an excuse to go HAM for some of you.

1. That's a moot point, it's not his fault he is our most expensive transfer ever, but it's his fault for being sh*t. With that price tag comes expectations, not everyone can have minimal expectations for him and just be happy he's here.

2. Again why does it matter what happens with others? Why only compare him to the flops and not the successes? If you spend that much on a player you want a guy that doesn't trip over his feet when dribbling and losing the ball majority of the time it's passed to him.

3. I mean the people who bought him literally got sacked so the people in charge are losing sleep over it way more than I am. Like his transfer caused a whole internal investigation at the club and got people sacked so this point is wrong too lol.
Also the fact we spend hundreds of millions just to get worse is a massive problem that Pepe is the main culprit of, it's the same as people bringing up how much we spent on Xhaka/Mustafi/Perez. The money you spend matters.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
Clubs do that all the time, we've had only a few big investments in Pepe and Auba and the result of them was OK. Do you guys think Chelsea fans will be as depressed as Arsenal fans here because their investments in Havertz, Kepa, and Werner didn't pay off and all of them look worse than Pepe? No, they won't bother as they will make other transfers work for them, but we're gonna spend five years here discussing how much Raul spent on Pepe. He spent that money on a player who just scored 22 goals in the league and was entering his prime.

The problem with his transfer was never the fee, it's the fact that managers didn't want him in the first place and they've maid everything in their power for Pepe to fail here. Even Havertz who is basically useless plays more than Pepe in a much stronger team, they actually want to make something out of that transfer unlike us

Gets a bit conspiratorial when you say the managers have done everything in their power to make him a failure.

Arteta needs to win football matches to keep his job, if he felt Pepe would be a major factor in achieving a better Arsenal he'd surely play him more?
Having a very expensive signing struggle doesn't exactly paint Arteta in a very positive light. I see no reason why he'd do that intentionally just to mess with Pepe.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

1. That's a moot point, it's not his fault but he is still our most expensive transfer ever. With that comes expectations, not everyone can be like you and trilly having minimal expectations for him and just be happy he's here.
How is it a moot point? because you say so?
I expect Pepe to be our 2nd best attacker after Auba and best winger at the club but at this moment of time he's not. Incorrect.

2. Again why does it matter what happens with others? Why only compare him to the flops and not the successes? If you spend that much on a player you want a guy that doesn't trip over his feet when dribbling and losing the ball majority of the time it's passed to him.
Because there's been far more big money flops than successes period. AM's logic is once you cost a certain amount you're not allowed to trip over.

Since as far as I know every attacking player falls over sometimes, I propose we make free signings and promote academy kids only, that way you man can blissfully smile every time they fall over

3. I mean the people who bought him literally got sacked so the people in charge are losing sleep over it way more than I am. Like his transfer caused a whole internal investigation at the club and got people sacked so this point is wrong too lol.
Also the fact we spend hundreds of millions just to get worse is a massive problem that Pepe is the main culprit of, it's the same as people bringing up how much we spent on Xhaka/Mustafi/Perez. The money you spend matters.
None of this is factual tbh, but have fun proving it.

You want him to succeed but he keeps flopping then you lash out at people and start posting about how you want him to leave cos you don't want to see his feelings hurt anymore :lol:
I've not used this line in a while as the likes of Ash, Geofranco, Ibidan, etc etc get on my case about it, but nice try,

BigPoppaPump

How is it moot? because you say so?

Because there's been far more big money flops than successes period. AM's logic is once you cost a certain amount you're not allowed to trip over.

Since as far as I know every attacking player falls over sometimes, I propose we make free signings and promote academy kids only, that way you man can blissfully smile every time they fall over

None of this is factual tbh, but have fun proving it.

I've not used this line in a while as the likes of Ash, Geofranco, Ibidan, etc etc get on my case about it, but nice try,
I removed a lot of the parts of the post getting personal cos I just think it's immature btw.

Anyway It's a moot point because it's a moot point. If players come with a huge transfer fee that comes with expectations, you're being disingenuous if you disagree.

There have been a lot of big money flops, Pepe being one of them.

Then why were Raul and them lot sacked after investigating Pepe transfers? It's obvious if you put 2+2 together.

I just think you want people to hold Pepe to the same standard they hold Hale End players which is unrealistic. With the price tag comes expectations, you might not like it but it's just logic.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Then why were Raul and them lot sacked after investigating Pepe transfers? It's obvious if you put 2+2 together.

During the pre-season tour of the US, Josh Kroenke hosted the Arsenal hierarchy for a barbecue at his Los Angeles home. In this more relaxed environment, the Arsenal executives were able to talk openly with the ownership about their plans for the summer. In the case of Zaha, Crystal Palace were reluctant to sell. At that stage of the window, they felt entitled to ask for at least £100 million for a player who could prove the difference between staying in the Premier League or being relegated to the Championship. With concerns over Zaha’s price tag and age bracket, conversation turned to Pepe.

Arsenal were said to be privy to an €80 million offer from Napoli, so were able to discuss the specifics of a potential deal. A consensus was reached, and approval was given — Sanllehi flew direct from America to negotiate the transfer.
Doesn't sound that underhanded to me? sounds more like we didn't scout properly or consult Emery and got bumped, but feel free to think what you want.

For the record, if Zaha came here I would probably have ended up defending him too, there was no way he was ever going to justify that fee. With his age as well you guys would have most likely been froffing at the mouth regardless.

I feel like only a specific type of player comes here and gets any sort of perspective from the internet fans. Oh and before people start calling me Dr Umar, Ben White didn't get this perspective. Ramsdale had to be virtually flawless otherwise he'd have been put in the same camp.

I just think you want people to hold Pepe to the same standard they hold Hale End players which is unrealistic. With the price tag comes expectations, you might not like it but it's just logic.
Nope, I just think comparing him to Mertesacker on the wings and sh*tting on him when he's an unused sub is a bit much. People are free to say what they want though and I am free to respond.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Try him at CF, best thing about him is his shooting. He completely ruins our counters with his deer on ice skates dribbling style. The closer we can get him in to shooting positions the better it is for the whole team.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Gets a bit conspiratorial when you say the managers have done everything in their power to make him a failure.

Arteta needs to win football matches to keep his job, if he felt Pepe would be a major factor in achieving a better Arsenal he'd surely play him more?
Having a very expensive signing struggle doesn't exactly paint Arteta in a very positive light. I see no reason why he'd do that intentionally just to mess with Pepe.

Do you seriously think that playing or benching Pepe would make any difference for his job? The guy should've been sacked months ago, but looks like the club is not interested in that and gave him the freedom to do what he wants without results pressure.

Arteta plays who he wants and will create the team that he likes, which excludes Pepe by default. It's gonna be cool if Pepe scores a couple of goals, but it's not like he is in Mikel's plans.

To top that, can you tell me why Willian was brought in last summer? Arteta benched Pepe last season before it even started, but you guys still want to convince yourselves that Arteta would give Pepe a fair chance. Wasn't he dropped for nothing last season a few times when he was our best player?

Macho

Dusted 🔻

To top that, can you tell me why Willian was brought in last summer? Arteta benched Pepe last season before it even started, but you guys still want to convince yourselves that Arteta would give Pepe a fair chance. Wasn't he dropped for nothing last season a few times when he was our best player?
Pepe won't work here because he is certainly not part of Arteta's plans. Also, it's no conspiracy that Arteta does what he wants and is under no pressure to make any player he doesn't fancy work :lol:

The way people complain about Pepe I was shocked when I realised he roughly had 16 starts in the Premiership last season, I thought he figured a lot more. Looks like he's on course for a similar amount or even less this season with AFCON.

This bit I 100% firmly place blame on Pepe though, you're 26 in the prime of your career and you're essentially being benched my fodder really. He's not started for almost 3 seasons straight now, regression is inevitable.

It's his life but I firmly believe he could do better than this.

BigPoppaPump

Doesn't sound that underhanded to me? sounds more like we didn't scout properly or consult Emery and got bumped, but feel free to think what you want.

For the record, if Zaha came here I would probably have ended up defending him too, there was no way he was ever going to justify that fee. With his age as well you guys would have most likely been froffing at the mouth regardless.

I feel like only a specific type of player comes here and gets any sort of perspective from the internet fans. Oh and before people start calling me Dr Umar, Ben White didn't get this perspective. Ramsdale had to be virtually flawless otherwise he'd have been put in the same camp.

Nope, I just think comparing him to Mertesacker on the wings and sh*tting on him when he's an unused sub is a bit much. People are free to say what they want though and I am free to respond.
I agree with a lot of what you say and disagree with others. But I feel like we have this argument every couple of months lol.

Arsenal Quotes

Play for the name on the front of the shirt and they’ll remember the name on the back.

Tony Adams
Top Bottom