• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Managerial Royalty

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Fabregas played the same amount of league games in 10/11 as Partey did in this one.

And you're somewhat proving my point; Wenger is given endless contextual excuses because of what he once did, but Arteta is extremely harshly judged with zero room for context. It's endless statements made in absolutes like "He let our striker go for free" completely disregarding the reports of what he was doing to the dressing room etc.

Hell, Arteta's most pivotal signing to the way he wants to play (Partey) has been uncharacteristically crippled by injuries since joining yet that gets zero mentions in the overall picture. Then you have the ****ing pandemic hitting just as you hire an inexperienced manager, the super league ****, the Özil situation, other injuries etc.

Point is, both managers and teams has/had flaws. Wenger's strengths obviously far outshine Arteta right now, but completely ignoring and/or even rewriting Wenger's failures simply sets Arteta up to fail from the start with zero chance of winning because he's being compared to an unrealistic legend.
What...the hell am I reading.

Sigh.

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
No I actually don't disagree, I think Arteta has had quite a lot of complete stinkers where you're left wondering exactly what you said, where is the next goal coming from etc. Wenger's teams looked better in defeat, in other words.

I'm just of the opinion that Arteta has had to deal with some really difficult things in his first job, many of them intangible to typical "look at the football" type of critique, which obviously makes any discussion about him really murky.

It all depends on how you see it. I tend to believe the reports of the dressing room being a mess, the culture being poor etc, and by all account Arteta has done a really good job in improving that. But that isn't something we can point at as a stat or clip and say "look at that, that's brilliant/terrible", and we instead have to rely on journalism and comments from biased sources to get a better picture.

If you're someone who doesn't believe there were any issues behind the scenes, then there's probably not a lot of redeemable qualities about Arteta right now. I get that.
This.
@Dokaka is such a good poster.
the club was a shambles.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
This narrative needs to end.
the guy did not want to be here after Barcelona tapped in.
Barca may not have tried if Arteta hadn't fallen out with him so publicly. Would Guendouzi not have been a help when Sambi struggled? Would Saliba not have been a useful sub when Gabriel and the entire defence wobbled? I get that your pro Arteta but he's mucked up big time.

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
Why the **** did the Kroenkes offer him the extension before the end of the season is ****ing beyond me. Now we're stuck with this ****ter for the next 3 years **** this BS
Maybe the new contract has a NO CL clause that lets them fire him without paying him off.

mpower2540

Well yeah that's a big problem, a big big problem. As soon as Newcastle scored I knew the gig was up, that was on what, 55 mins?

We just cannot consistently create chances and it puts us under so much pressure if we concede. Not good enough.
Also makes refereeing decisions much more pivotal as we can't score our way out of trouble. Goals hide an awful lot of weaknesses and we can't score.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
It was the Palace and Brighton matches that really killed us.

The injuries we got v Palace, then Mikel panicking v Brighton and making it worse.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Bruh you were the one that bought Wenger up, I never mentioned him. The context absolutely matters because the team had little to play for in the last 6 or 7 league games back then, but we CL riding on these matches under Arteta.

The Partey/Fabregas comparison is interesting because Fabregas’ replacement was probably Denilson or Diaby, where as Arteta signed Lokonga for £15m which would have been close to a record signing for Wenger back then.

I was replying to a comment about Wenger in my original post that you quoted.

But to your point, how can you say you had little to play for when you were literally 2nd, behind by 2 points with 9 games to go? Come on fam.

DFlUVuf.png

Wenger and the team genuinely just **** the bed. it happens, but it was still terrible.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
A coach is different to a manager and being a manager is too much for him. Putting us in the relegation zone and rising is not to his credit. Ditching experience when we need as much as possible was baffling. Auba's presence alone eould have alleviated the pressure. Tolerate his alleged poor behaviour to achieve the dream.

No, that's wrong. How can you have a young team looking up to a player who is YOUR CAPTAIN, who turns up late for training and disrupts the dressing room. Part of building a winning mentality in young players is having discipline. Not a good look if your Captain is acting the fool especially when the disciplinary measures were all agreed at the start of the season. Aubameyang needed a new challenge so let him go if he wants to go, same for anyone else who disrupts the dressing room (see Man Utd and the Ronaldo debacle).

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
It was the Palace and Brighton matches that really killed us.

The injuries we got v Palace, then Mikel panicking v Brighton and making it worse.
It was hiring Arteta that really killed us. Imagine we spent that 300M with a real manager.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Fabregas played the same amount of league games in 10/11 as Partey did in this one.

And you're somewhat proving my point; Wenger is given endless contextual excuses because of what he once did, but Arteta is extremely harshly judged with zero room for context. It's endless statements made in absolutes like "He let our striker go for free" completely disregarding the reports of what he was doing to the dressing room etc.

Hell, Arteta's most pivotal signing to the way he wants to play (Partey) has been uncharacteristically crippled by injuries since joining yet that gets zero mentions in the overall picture. Then you have the ****ing pandemic hitting just as you hire an inexperienced manager, the super league ****, the Özil situation, other injuries etc.

Point is, both managers and teams has/had flaws. Wenger's strengths obviously far outshine Arteta right now, but completely ignoring and/or even rewriting Wenger's failures simply sets Arteta up to fail from the start with zero chance of winning because he's being compared to an unrealistic legend.
Why are you so invested in Arteta? He looks poor compared to Rioch atm at least in the way we play

MaraDon

Wants you to learn about football
Barca may not have tried if Arteta hadn't fallen out with him so publicly. Would Guendouzi not have been a help when Sambi struggled? Would Saliba not have been a useful sub when Gabriel and the entire defence wobbled? I get that your pro Arteta but he's mucked up big time.
Reports in Argentina (we always get La Liga info first) are that Auba traveled to Barcelona secretly and meet with the Barcelona board, Arteta and Edu find out about it and it exploded.

Auba wanted to wear a Barca shirt before retiring and this was his chance.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Harsh, he's had many of the youngsters talk about how much of a good coach he is and he actually had us competing for 3rd place at one point with 3 games to go. To come from rock bottom of the league at one point to compete for 3rd with a young erratic team is quite impressive if you ask me.

Unfortunately we are quite emotional as fans... so right now, many of us wont be able to analyse the season in such a sober manner.

We are low tonight, and we feel uncertain about the manager, and how much of a transfer leap we can take next, but you are right. For our level right now, and the gambles we took over the season with transfers and squad size, we came to within a point of a very very strong position going into the summer.

Many will call this a loser mentality I guess, but for me my only concern is who we can bring in over the summer as a result of this.

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
No, that's wrong. How can you have a young team looking up to a player who is YOUR CAPTAIN, who turns up late for training and disrupts the dressing room. Part of building a winning mentality in young players is having discipline. Not a good look if your Captain is acting the fool especially when the disciplinary measures were all agreed at the start of the season. Aubameyang needed a new challenge so let him go if he wants to go, same for anyone else who disrupts the dressing room (see Man Utd and the Ronaldo debacle).

Sounds like Arteta propaganda. Not sure how much of this is true and taken out of context. Arteta is a ***.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
But they did look up to him. Auba, Laca, David Luiz Özil and Alexis have been mentioned by the young players as the ones they admired. Nobody has mentioned model pro but less inspirational Xhaka. They just needed their hand held for six months

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I’ve been to the Emirates several times this year and to this day I’ve got Jose at the top of my wish list.

People treat the match going fans like they’re royalty when in reality they’re just like AM posters but are actually stupid enough to spend their hard earned money on Pulisball.

This is the thing I don’t get.

We’re literally playing dire football, we might aswell do the same whilst we have a character on the sideline who will entertain us throughout the season. Ngl I did admit that I wanted Jose or LVG when Arsène left the club, that still hasn’t changed tbf.

Need someone to ask the right questions on whether Edu has dedicated his time to perfect these BBQs and what Vinai’s actual role is.

Arsenal Quotes

One of the things I discovered in Japan was from watching sumo wrestling. At the end you can never tell who has won the fight, and who has lost, because they do not show their emotion because it could embarrass the loser. It is unbelievable. That is why I try to teach my team politeness. It is only here in England that everybody pokes their tongue out when they win.

Arsène Wenger

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 26

Sturm Graz Sporting Director Andreas Schicker says he will meet Arsenal next week to attempt to sign striker Mika Biereth permanently [Kurier]

Arsenal have made contact with Stade Rennais and representatives regarding a move for Désiré Doué this summer. They are joined by PSG, Manchester United, Sp**s, Bayer Leverkusen, Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund in the pursuit for the 18 year-old [The Secret Scout]

Arsenal are in the running to sign Crystal Palace attacker Michael Olise alongside Manchester United, Liverpool, Newcastle and Chelsea [Darren Lewis - The Mirror]

Emile Smith Rowe will hold talks with the club this week as the likelihood of him leaving for more playing time grows [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom