• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

The same was said about this season though and we almost had it in the end. Any team bar city and Liverpool aren't certain for top 4 and will go through ups and down next season just like this season.

Because Sp**s and United had poor managers at the beginning. This time they will have Conte and Ten Hag.

teamsoutheast

Player:Ødegaard
Mate, he gave away an experienced pro. Gave away!! A golden boot winner who's scoring more than any other player in the top 5 leagues.

He didn't want to be here. No point forcing him to play for us if he is demotivated and not going to give his all to the cause. Your captain cannot be disruptive and was. Lacazette had more than enough chances to step up in his place and has flopped. Doesn't deserve a new contract IMO.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Lastly, while they weren't as bad as we all thought they were once the summer window closed, it's fair to say that our summer signings haven't been THAT good either.

Tomi has been stellar but is a walking sick note, Ødegaard was also pretty good but does go missing at times during games.

White has been very hit or miss for the money we spent on a player who wouldn't need to adapt to the league and Ramsdale has completely bought into his own hype.

The latter might be carrying something of an injury, but why not play Leno then? Ramsdale was a deer in headlights last night.

Lokonga got thrown on the deep end and has been hit or miss and Nuno is Nuno.

I will still give them (edteta) the benefit of the doubt this summer, but yeah, no CL is going to hurt a bit depending who we want to sign.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He didn't want to be here. No point forcing him to play for us if he is demotivated and not going to give his all to the cause. Your captain cannot be disruptive and was. Lacazette had more than enough chances to step up in his place and has flopped. Doesn't deserve a new contract IMO.
Why wasn't he motivated? Whose job is it to motivate him? Did you see Pepe's body language when he came on? Why is it that Willian, Lacazette, Auba, Pepe have had their worst seasons ever, playing under Arteta?

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
Sterling, Jesus, Sane, would probably have something to say about Mikel not knowing how to coach an attack I reckon.

Mikel has shown in his short career that he is able to deliver in a short time just like a Howe, Tuchel, Conte. It comes back to the style of football we are committed to playing. Arteta said it when speaking to the women's manager, having tactical tweaks based on the opposition game but ultimately sticking to fundamental playing principles.

What we saw for most parts of this season was us trying to impose our style of play regardless of the opposition. We saw this against City at home, Liverpool at home, Sp**s away, Chelsea away for the most part, as well as United in both legs. This brings in that uncertainty and stop start form experienced.

Would have it been smarter to just play these last few games like we did when we won the FA Cup? Yes, probably so. For me however, its that commitment to playing a certain way, despite it exposing us as it did... which makes me believe in this young manager.
Arteta was one of many assistants under Pep. He was mostly tasked with putting together opponent insights. Did you not watch the City All or Nothing. Was very illuminating about Tets role.

Anyeays, when it comes to City, Pep gets the credit for the attack.

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
Threads gone the way I thought it would.

Got to hand it to @bingobob for hitting the nail on the head.

This team is not innexperienced, this manager is not a rookie anymore.

Fans are allowed their expectations and I think we have set ourselves back big time.

I don't mind the new contract, but I personally belive we're into sunken cost fallacy territory now.
He’s not good enough. It was a mistake to give him a new contract. We can’t afford to continue backing the wrong manager. Our finances can’t support that.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

I think what happened yesterday is the best outcome tbh. What do you think would have happened if we got top 4?
We'd have crashed out in the CL group stages and then finish 6th/7th and then cried for more signings and knowing the Kroenkes, they'd have obliged.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Didn't see the game last night, watched this morning. Learnt nothing new here. Arteta is not a football manager I can warm too. I don't like his man management style, his arrogance about being the solution, non negotiable stuff and wanting all his own players. I'm not even sure his coaching is that good. His micro management is probably overkill.

He's here to stay, not much I can do. All a bit depressing.

I've been saying this for 2 & a half years!

PoleInGoal

Player:Tomiyasu
I think Arteta has overachieved this season compared to expectations at the beginning, and especially after the first three losses. However, there are several major concerns:

• The squad and players couldn't handle one game a week this season, next year with Europa things will surely get worse.
  • As soon as Arteta's team concede a goal, it is game over. I don't remember the last time we came from behind to win a game outside of Wolves.
  • The team has crumbled every time it has come under pressure, with the exception of the FA cup run in 2020. Look at the Villareal semi-final, the 3 games vs Palace Southampton and Brighton, the last two matches. On the other hand we play best when there's nothing to play for (5 wins at the end of last season, wins vs. Chelsea, United, West Ham). This is not a recipe for success.
  • The discipline of the players is not good enough. Even though I believe we have suffered from refereeing decisions, many red cards from the likes of Xhaka, Pepe, Holding, Gabriel etc., have been due to reckless behaviour.

Every time we seem to take a step forward under Arteta, we regress again. I've been Arteta In for a long time but on reflection I don't think he has what it takes to sustainably bring this team forward, and it's very difficult to be optimistic for next season with the extra challenges we will have.

goonerwarsh

Established Member
Not posted here in years and years...felt compelled to do so this morning just for some kind of catharticism. Absolutely gutted with what's transpired this last week. Absolutely and wholeheartedly gutted.

Having given ourselves every chance and a second crack at it after the three defeats a few weeks back, to surrender so meekly in the two biggest games of the season when it mattered the most is heart-breaking and I really fear is an integral sliding doors moment both Tottenham and Arsenal that will have ramifications that could last years.

I think the last time I felt like this was when we lost the Ryan Giggs semi final all the way back in 1999. It feels that galling. The only way I can describe Arsenal in the Emirates era is the complete inability to handle pressure and adversity, which conversely are the two attributes that Arsenal built their success on back in the 90's and early 2000's. Sure there was incredible talent but I always felt it was those foundations which led us when the big moments really came in the crunch time in seasons. I think the reason this hurts so much was that I truly believed we were slowly and surely turning that around. The weak under belly that the media have consistently thrown in our faces was evident again when it mattered and that hurts.

I guess it all depends on how the club react to this devastating blow next year - if this season is anything to go by then I have a horrible feeling the hangover from this could be a cataclysmic, particularly in such a competitive environment in both a financial and physical sense.

Xln

Get me Jesus on the phone 📲
If those girl are from Mexico and blondie just show them your bank account and you got them. We call them whitexicans lol!
Mexican girls are the easiest in the world. Don't even need game to smash and they are all willing from the start

MauveGunner

Player:Rice
Continueing on my post yesterday, getting into Europe is an achievement and I am happy with that. In the end, you get the position you deserve, even if others 'fail'

But the overall gist of the season is still a dissapointment, no matter how you put it. Gameplan, inconcistancies, squad depth, ...

And we can moan all we want, Arteta is still in charge next season and we'll need to live with it. With European football in place we'll see in the end who is right.

But for me, I stil don't see it work out. As much I hope it will for the club.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I think what happened yesterday is the best outcome tbh. What do you think would have happened if we got top 4?
We'd have crashed out in the CL group stages and then finish 6th/7th and then cried for more signings and knowing the Kroenkes, they'd have obliged.
CL gave us £50m more, put us back in the spotlight as a semi big club. Gave those players in our team a dream fulfilled. Seeing that they could achieve targets with us.

Does it matter if we finished 3rd in the group and then entered the EL. Absolutely not. In fact that would probably be a good thing as we have benefited from CL yet a chance to win EL.

It also didn't give Sp**s an advantage. There were 0 negative things about CL.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I think Arteta has overachieved this season compared to expectations at the beginning, and especially after the first three losses. However, there are several major concerns:

• The squad and players couldn't handle one game a week this season, next year with Europa things will surely get worse.
  • As soon as Arteta's team concede a goal, it is game over. I don't remember the last time we came from behind to win a game outside of Wolves.
  • The team has crumbled every time it has come under pressure, with the exception of the FA cup run in 2020. Look at the Villareal semi-final, the 3 games vs Palace Southampton and Brighton, the last two matches. On the other hand we play best when there's nothing to play for (5 wins at the end of last season, wins vs. Chelsea, United, West Ham). This is not a recipe for success.
  • The discipline of the players is not good enough. Even though I believe we have suffered from refereeing decisions, many red cards from the likes of Xhaka, Pepe, Holding, Gabriel etc., have been due to reckless behaviour.

Every time we seem to take a step forward under Arteta, we regress again. I've been Arteta In for a long time but on reflection I don't think he has what it takes to sustainably bring this team forward, and it's very difficult to be optimistic for next season with the extra challenges we will have.
The best thing I can say about him is that he's provided a clear structure, a common culture and got the fans back onside with the team.

We were floundering for many seasons, but there's a nucleus there to build on. There's a trajectory.

What I worry about is whether he has the emotional self awareness to understand the limitations of his own ideas. When things are working well, he tends to just repeat the same model again and again until it breaks and then starts again rather than proactively evolve it.

He has tools but he doesn't have a toolkit. You saw that when his only solution was to bring on as many strikers as possible last night. That comes with the experience. He's massively improved the first phase of our play but been guilty of inflexibility around the 2nd and 3rd phase.

Under his stewardship we've consistently scored fewer goals than any side in the top 7 and that will eventually catch up with you.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

The best thing I can say about him is that he's provided a clear structure, a common culture and got the fans back onside with the team.

We were floundering for many seasons, but there's a nucleus there to build on. There's a trajectory.

What I worry about is whether he has the emotional self awareness to understand the limitations of his own ideas. When things are working well, he tends to just repeat the same model again and again until it breaks and then starts again rather than proactively evolve it.

He has tools but he doesn't have a toolkit. You saw that when his only solution was to bring on as many strikers as possible last night. That comes with the experience. He's massively improved the first phase of our play but been guilty of inflexibility around the 2nd and 3rd phase.

Under his stewardship we've consistently scored fewer goals than any side in the top 7 and that will eventually catch up with you.

Fair points.

And yeah, look if Arteta is able to get us to attack consistently and fluidly (and do so under pressure) then perhaps we might get somewhere.

It'd put far less pressure on our defence which in turn should make our approach more relaxed, knowing we have the ability to score and bring games back even if we do concede first or concede more than once.

Can he do it though? That's the £64,000 question.

GLITCH

When Xhaka said "We didn’t do what the game plan was, not listening to the coach...", I didn't give it too much thought at the time, but it's not the first time we've heard this sort of thing. Is it because they aren't capable of executing what he's telling them, or they don't trust it?

goonerwarsh

Established Member
Fair points.

And yeah, look if Arteta is able to get us to attack consistently and fluidly (and do so under pressure) then perhaps we might get somewhere.

It'd put far less pressure on our defence which in turn should make our approach more relaxed, knowing we have the ability to score and bring games back even if we do concede first or concede more than once.

Can he do it though? That's the £64,000 question.

I think so much rests on whoever is going to end up in that striker position. When you really consider that the main difference between us getting top 4 or not was most notably Tottenham have Harry Kane and to a slightly lesser extent Son and we were desperately trying to scrape by for the most part with Lacazette and Nketiah - both whom I think really tried but just don't have that kind of quality.

When it really mattered against us, City and Liverpool etc. They had the physicality up front to literally bully their way to a goal and we didn't.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer

Great post. I agree with the points brought up here, especially the part about him lacking the ability to proactively fine tune what works instead of hitting a brick wall and ostensibly starting over. It reminds me of when I play FM and my tactic stop working, I tend to just throw it out the window and go for something completely different :lol: Not really sustainable in real life.

The first part of your post is why I still think Arteta should be given time, but it feels like there's a lot of posters on here who don't even acknowledge that part or simply don't believe it. On the pitch it has been naive at times, rigid and lacking ideas, but off the pitch he's done great work from all reports.

Genuinely believe that if he can improve as a manager in terms of tactical nuance etc, he'll be top class. But it's a big if, and I get why some people don't believe in it. I'm just not sure what other option there is right now, and I'm definitely sure sacking a manager who has the backing of the dressing room when he hasn't performed below expectations won't sit well with the squad.

Arsenal Quotes

I always wanted to play in English football and Arsenal and Highbury IS English football to me.

Dennis Bergkamp

Latest posts

Top Bottom