• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

The so called youth project explained by Edu at the start of the season:

GEOFF SHREEVES: "What can you tell me about Arsenal's transfer window and the thinking behind it? The club has spent the most money of any Premier League club, but the Arsenal fans are underwhelmed…"

EDU: "Yes, I understand the reason because firstly, they have not seen the team playing together yet. That's one of the reasons but I think we have to see the wider context than just to see the money around it.
"We signed six players who are under 23, which means a lot in terms of our planning. Normally, people like to see just one window, so I have to say it is the bigger picture because we started planning this squad a year ago in terms of consolidating the team and to try to get a better foundation.
"If you remember, in that period we renewed Bukayo Saka and Gabriel Martinelli a year ago with the intention to get that kind of base in the team. In a one-year period, we signed 10 players and seven of the 10 are under 23. We renewed seven players in this period as well, just in the first team. Five of the seven are under 23 as well.
"Why did we do that? Because we have a reason to try again to create a good foundation and then, one day, maybe we are going to sign one or two players only. But after that, it's impossible to sign one or two players only because we have a lot to do.
"We have to balance the squad better. We have to recruit the players with the right characteristics and the right profile to make the squad better, more solid and much more consistent because last season we suffered with consistency.
"Now, I want to give Mikel Arteta and the board a much better squad."
GS: "It's clear there's a shift in Arsenal's policy in terms of buying young players that have value in the future. Is that because previously the transfer dealings have been poor? You have been left with players on high wages with no sell-on value and like in the case of Willian, his contract was terminated. Has that been a factor in your thinking with this new policy?"

EDU:
"Yes, if you see, we had 21 players exit over the year.
"All of those were terminated or we tried to sell, or we tried to loan with an obligation to buy as well. We tried to clear a bit of the squad and bring in some new faces. We had 21 outgoings and signed 10 players in one year.

"So, 21 changes, it is a lot. It's more than a squad in one year. But this was the intention again when we are talking about the base and the foundation.
"We have to create it again to one day just go and sign one or two players."

GS: "The problem with that for many Arsenal fans is, let's say from the six new signings you've made, probably only two of them would go straight into the first team. So, how much has this window improved Arsenal's first team right now?"
EDU:
"You see the strategy; for every single name I can explain to you the reasons.
"Aaron Ramsdale, for example, he is a very good football player and has the potential to be a big part of the team in the future."
GS: "For the future…"
EDU:
"For the future of the team. What he wants to do is to balance that position and why do you bring him in? We already have one player there to play games with Bernd Leno. But, we have to bring someone in to help for the future.
"Then, at right-back, we just signed Takehiro Tomiyasu. He is someone who can come here and plays straight away because we loaned Hector Bellerin to allow space for him to come and feature straight away.
"That's the plan but of course, it's up to Mikel if he plays or not.
"And then, if you go to Nuno Tavares, he has the same characteristics because we have Kieran Tierney there to play, but we needed someone to cover him."
GS: "So, they are, if you like, at the moment reserves. You can only really say Martin Ødegaard and Ben White would be expected to be first-team starters. So, of the six, only two will improve the team…"
EDU:
"We suffered last year because we lost a lot of players and we didn't really have good back-ups to play games.
"I believe we need a squad to win games. We need a squad to be in a good position at the end of the season because it is not only about the first XI.
"Again, we need a foundation. We need players to play and then we need players to cover the first XI.
"Now let's put it into context. For example, in the midfield, you have Granit Xhaka and Thomas Partey. So, for me and for Mikel it doesn't make sense to sign another player to be on top of them if they are the ones that are going to be playing.
"That's why we chose Albert Sambi Lokonga to help them.
"If you go up front we have Alexandre Lacazette, Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, Bukayo Saka, Nicolas Pepe and Gabriel Martinelli. I want to see them playing together.
"In the number 10 position, we saw a gap there because we just have Emile Smith Rowe. We needed a number 10 with the same quality to be there, help and play.
"Where we needed to spend big, big money, for me and for Mikel, that was in the centre-back position because we needed someone to fill that position. David Luiz was leaving and this was the one where we needed someone to come here and straight away have an impact on the team with the right profile of what we believe for the short, medium and long term.
"That was Ben White. That is why we went there and signed Ben White to give the squad what the squad needed."
GS: "Do you understand, though, why Arsenal fans would prefer say if you spent £150m to buy three 'oven ready' players who could go straight into the first team with maybe Premier League experience or certainly first-team experience elsewhere, that will improve the team now? As you know, right now the team has not scored a goal, has not registered a single point and sits rock bottom of the Premier League…"
EDU:
"I really understand that, but I'd also like them to understand the reason and the direction we are going as a club.
"Of course, it has hurt us to be in that situation. We are hurt, I am hurt. I don't want to see the club there, but I want to see the team playing together.
"To be fair, we have had three games and I haven't seen the team playing together yet. So, I want to see the signings and I want to see the squad prepare. All three games we have played against Brentford, Chelsea and Manchester City, unfortunately we have had some difficult moments in terms of Covid and injuries.
"I want to see the team play together and then let's judge the team when they play together. Then, after that, no problem. Judge us then.
"I understand the situation we are in now is really tough. It's not an excuse but let's judge the team when they play together."

GS: "How much is Mikel Arteta on board with the direction the club is going because you know, any manager is judged on results. If I'm Arteta, I understand you are planning for the future but if results don't improve, I could be down the road here. For example, go and get me a Romelu Lukaku, somebody like that. How much does he understand?"
EDU:
"The case here is we really believe in the players we have in the squad. Maybe other people don't but we do. If we start to see the squad together, we believe in the squad.
"I sit with Mikel and we see the squad. We have a striker there who delivers to us 25 goals every single season. We have another one who delivers 15-20 goals every season.
"We have two very powerful young players from the academy in Saka and Smith Rowe. We believe in them and our squad."
(...)
GS: "But you know, you don't get time in football…"
EDU:
"I know, but that's why you make the decisions. We believe in our squad now, but we believe this squad can be even stronger in the future.
"My job is to think about the short term but also the long term as well. How we are going to plan that kind of journey because if we now sign one or two players and we have three, four or five gaps to fill, people are then going to look to us and say to us: 'Guys, what are you doing? You've spent a lot of money on certain positions, but what about here, here and here?'
"The balance is not easy to get but again, we believe in what we are doing.​
I find this interview interesting because it doesnt really confirm the "Nobody should expect anything from us since we are so young!!!!"-narrative that the Tetasexuals adore.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
And the narrative was is that Conte wouldn't be able to do anything at Sp**s without money. Yet here we are.

What did he actually do that deserves a mention?

I can mention a few things... like taking Sp**s out of competition on purpose, exiting domestic cups early, getting to one game a week, whining about not being good enough and offering himself up to PSG before stumbling into the top four because of our ****ups.

Elitness.

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
No, it's the sheer rage and anger I am seeing within you. It's only a game.
😂

27-FC41-A9-4-DC7-4-E8-E-9-AA4-9-EC51-B784-F5-F.jpg

EA4-C840-C-907-A-4-EC6-B33-F-EF19-F16-E1-C20.jpg

A4777-A0-A-A57-C-4-EF7-A21-D-FCE0-C04-EE9-E8.jpg

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

The solution: More money to the worst manager in the league. Arseblog used to be my favorite blogger but his love for Arteta has brought him down to Gunnerblogs level. He supports Arteta, not Arsenal.

SA Gunner

- our squad is not good enough to play 2 games a week
- transfer business was done too late, the new players didn't have a full pre-season
- the squad is still young, need 2-3 more years to mature
- Xhaka & Elneny costed us again, these are Wenga's players
- refs/injuries/etc

How do you come up with such **** on a consistent basis?

SA Gunner

He finished ahead of a team with Eddie Nkietah as their best CF...what an achievement for Conte that is, no one could have done that...

Remember!

When Conte finishes in the top four its because he's an elite manager.

When Arteta finishes in the top four its all Conte, Rangnick, Moyes, Lage's, Tuchel's fault.

Baki

Loves Anime Hates Mikel
What did he actually do that deserves a mention?

I can mention a few things... like taking Sp**s out of competition on purpose, exiting domestic cups, getting to one game a week, whining about not being good enough and offering himself up to PSG before stumbling into the top four because of our ****ups.

Elitness.
Looks like top 4 in his first season. (Unless he bottles it next week 😂😂)

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

People are talking about league challenges out here ffs, probably CL favourites now too. :lol:
Who?

You keep coming back to this but everyone knows the game for us and Sp**s is to get into Europe not challenge. Conte is in the way, that’s all anyone with two braincells said and look how it’s panned out.

You’re just backing your corner for the sake of it now.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
That thread is so f*cking stupid :lol:

Just sh*tting on a perfectly fine manager for no real reason.
Artetasexuals attacked Henry for criticizing Arteta for ****'s sake, and you are surprised they are talking **** about Conte? :lol:
As an Assna fan I dissapointed we missed on the CL footy, but as a human being I am glad that Arteta and his fan boys are the the mud where they belong, maybe they will learn some humility.

SA Gunner

Who?

You keep coming back to this but everyone knows the game for us and Sp**s is to get into Europe not challenge. Conte is in the way, that’s all anyone with two braincells said and look how it’s panned out.

You’re just backing your corner for the sake of it now.

I dont back anything for the sake it. I change my mind as I see things emerge.

Until I see something better on the pitch, I'll maintain my stance. Good manager, but not good enough.

As for CL, that's done, he and Sp**s got it, fair play to him there. Lets see what happens next season's when he gets Arteta money to spend.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Remember!

When Conte finishes in the top four its because he's an elite manager.

When Arteta finishes in the top four its all Conte, Rangnick, Moyes, Lage's, Tuchel's fault.
Arteta's not in top 4. The fact is he's failed from a coaching perspective. He’s not improved the defence, he’s not improved the team going forward and the style of play is still rigid and horrible to watch.

I don't know if the club can keep out investing City for this guy, but they're wasting their money..

Arsenal Quotes

Arsenal have always been the club of the people, the streets. Arsenal was one of the first clubs to really have black players, so it did represent the mass of the UK and how London is. I hope people at the club know that and who are they playing for.

Thierry Henry
Top Bottom