• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Expecting 150M to put us in a title challenge when none of our players would get into City or Liverpool's XI and City have just slammed down £250m on Halaand and spent a billion on their back 5 alone over the last decade. Sounds realistic
Klopp 65 million to get CL and spent 170m next season and won the CL. The following season, he spent nothing and won the league.

Bar that 1 month run in the december, we haven't strung any sort of performance under Arteta.
He's likely to spend another 150m this summer again which will take his spend here to 350m+.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Klopp 65 million to get CL and spent 170m next season and won the CL. The following season, he spent nothing and won the league.

Bar that 1 month run in the december, we haven't strung any sort of performance under Arteta.
He's likely to spend another 150m this summer again which will take his spend here to 350m+.

Those figures, are they net spend or actual spend?

Anyway, we can drag in Pep's numbers and see how much was spent before he won his first league title. I dont have the numbers before me but I'm pretty sure they're astronomical.

The common theme is that money is needed to be spent, and for me its more about how the money is spent.

I would rather ask you if the 200m+ spent by Arteta has been good or wasted money so far.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.

Anyway, we can drag in Pep's numbers and see how much was spent before he won his first league title. I dont have the numbers before me but I'm pretty sure they're astronomical.

The common theme is that money is needed to be spent, and for me its more about how the money is spent.

I would rather ask you if the 200m+ spent by Arteta has been good or wasted money so far.

William, Luiz, Mari and Cedric all on mammoth wages. There's also the added cost of paying our players to leave.

We have also extended Xhaka, offered extensions to Elneny and others.

Ramsdale has been very iffy the last month or so, but is still a good signing overall. Ben White hasn't had as big of a high, but has been alright.

Gabriel has regressed a bit unfortunately, Lokonga hasn't played enough and though I really like Tomi, those who watched him did call out his injury proness.

I really liked Ødegaard as well, but he can be a passenger at times.

If you add every window he has had its a really big mixed bag. Still a slightly net positive for me, but nothing mind blowing.

Edit: can't forget about Runnarson and Trusty.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Actual spend.

Anyway, we can drag in Pep's numbers and see how much was spent before he won his first league title
Bro we aren't talking about league titles. We're talking about top 4. Anyways, didn't Pep finish 3rd in his first season and got 100 points the following season? I know he spent astronomical sum but it's not like Mikel is operating under austerity, is it?
As long as he's here, we're not competing for the league, never mind the PL title. All I ask for is CL football.

Besides, Pep is operating on a whole different level. We shouldn't be comparing him to Arteta.

Another question is did we need Tavares or Lokonga? Or dare I say, it, Ben White? I'd say no. We had internal solutions to those positions those positions we spent on this summer.

I know some people go OTT, but if I was making the decision, I'll not have signed white or the other two players I mentioned. We had Saliba, AMN and Douzi. So yes in way, we did waste money. Although I like Ødegaard, hes money well spent.
Tavares, Ben White and Lokonga were ego signings. He'd already made up his mind about AMN, Douzi and Saliba.
Going into this season, we had the third best defense last season. I would have spent the money on attackers but instead, he bought more defenders and the same issues that's plagued us last season has refused to go away which is our biggest issue; Chance creation.

Sorry for the essay.

Edit: Ramsdale has been Abit of a mixed bag. I like some of his attributes but he's in danger of becoming a Pickford mk2.

Last edited:

arghhhh

Perfect assessment. Our players are very overhyped.

I know he's not a signing but do you dare give your Saka rating on here?

Why though?

8/10. Nothing controversial. 20 year-old and 10 premier league goals.

I am all for playing Hale End kids since our scouts/coaches/technical directors/managers(including Wenger in his last 10 years) are so ****e in signing good players and identifying talents abroad.

SA Gunner

William, Luiz, Mari and Cedric all on mammoth wages. There's also the added cost of paying our players to leave.

We have also extended Xhaka, offered extensions to Elneny and others.

Ramsdale has been very iffy the last month or so, but is still a good signing overall. Ben White hasn't had as big of a high, but has been alright.

Gabriel has regressed a bit unfortunately, Lokonga hasn't played enough and though I really like Tomi, those who watched him did call out his injury proness.

I really liked Ødegaard as well, but he can be a passenger at times.

If you add every window he has had its a really big mixed bag. Still a slightly net positive for me, but nothing mind blowing.

Yeah I would agree with this assessment.

Arteta signings, albeit better in recent times, are still more or less 50-50 split in terms of good spend-bad spend.

**** signings

Willian, Mari, re-signing Elneny, Cedric

Iffy signings

Luiz, Tavares, re-signing Xhaka, re-signing Holding, soon to be re-signing Nketiah, Lokonga

Ok to good signings

Smith-Rowe, Gabriel, White, Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, re-signing Tierney, Partey, Ødegaard, Martinelli

Superb signings

soon to be re-signing Saka.

SA Gunner

Actual spend.

Bro we aren't talking about league titles. We're talking about top 4. Anyways, didn't Pep finish 3rd in his first season and got 100 points the following season? I know he spent astronomical sum but it's not like Mikel is operating under austerity, is it?
As long as he's here, we're not competing for the league, never mind the PL title. All I ask for is CL football.

Besides, Pep is operating on a whole different level. We shouldn't be comparing him to Arteta.

Another question is did we need Tavares or Lokonga? Or dare I say, it, Ben White? I'd say no. We had internal solutions to those positions those positions we spent on this summer.

I know some people go OTT, but if I was making the decision, I'll not have signed white or the other two players I mentioned. We had Saliba, AMN and Douzi. So yes in way, we did waste money. Although I like Ødegaard, hes money well spent.

Going into this season, we had the third best defense. I would spent the money on attackers but instead, he bought more defenders and the same issues that's plagued us last season has refused to go away which is our biggest issue; Chance creation.

Sorry for the essay.

Not an essay at all. This is the type of critique I look for, shot.

Good points made, and yes Guadiola was spending to win the league and CL, and we have so far spent for top four qualification. So I take your point in monies spent that was perhaps too much for what we are targeting.

We're onto the next phase now, and that's seeing whether we can get into the top four convincingly and kick on from there. Expenditure will be further examined now, that's for sure.

Taxi Driver

Sorry for the essay.

abou-diaby-arsenal-exit-1435851084-800.jpg

GraveFixedFinwhale-max-1mb.gif

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Arteta signings, albeit better in recent times, are still more or less 50-50 split in terms of good spend-bad spend.

**** signings

Iffy signings

Luiz, Tavares, re-signing Xhaka, re-signing Holding, soon to be re-signing Nketiah, Lokonga

Ok to good signings

Smith-Rowe, Gabriel, White, Ramsdale, Tomiyasu, re-signing Tierney, Partey, Ødegaard, Martinelli

Superb signings

Thing with Ramsdale is was he as urgent as a CF or a CM? For me he definitely wasn't, but I think Arteta is obsessed with build up from the back so he felt he needed a keeper thats good on the ball.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

We're onto the next phase now, and that's seeing whether we can get into the top four convincingly and kick on from there. Expenditure will be further examined now, that's for sure.
You'd think he would be much more scrutinized next season especially by his staunchest backers, but idk man. We might see some excuses cropping up again. Whatever happens next season he has no where to hide especially if he gets another huge budget, but we said the same thing last summer, but here we are.

So fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

The PR machine is back in full flow.

£250,000,000 spent.
Approaching 3 years on the job.
Fell out with players unnecessarily.
Brought in overpriced average players.
Performed a "Cultural Reset" whatever the hell that means.

Conclusion: We did more than expected even though we outspent every ****ing club in Europe!

And now, we sit back & wait for his harem to come running to absolve him of any responsibility for ALL the faults that have befallen this once great club.

I'd trade places with Prometheus or Sysuphus in an instant :lol:

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
You'd think he would be much more criticized next season especially by his staunchest backers, but idk man. We might see some excuses cropping up again. Whatever happens next season he has no where to hide especially if he gets another huge budget, but we said the same thing last summer, here we are.

So fingers crossed.
Depends how this summer goes. If he gets at least 4-5 signings then no excuses. I don't think you lot are being genuine and objective with just how far this club has fallen. Arsenal have fallen out of top tiers of Europe for years now and the rot allowed to fester here always needed time to correct. The problem has been the board and the owners for quite some time now regardless of manager.

Whether or not Arteta is the actual man for the job is certainly still up for debate and I don't actually mind those who don't want him here. He's made enough mistakes to dislike him. He's also shown enough that he can grow into a good manager too. He's still a young manager who has his ups and downs just like his players.

Fans are impatient but I am fine with Arsenal taking its time in rebuilding, tbh. We don't have the cash injections to rebuild on the fly like City, Chelsea, and United. We have to hit more on our signings than they do, imo. We have to take risks on potential rather than stumping the cash for established players across the board as well. Missing on big signings like Pepe especially when they come from money laundering schemes are especially damaging to us whereas they would be a blip on the radar for City.

I think hovering around 4th - 6th in the PL is relatively easy these days, tbh. The only way we're getting to City's levels are if we hit on 85%+ on our risky signings and build the squad intelligently. That's a big if for any manager, imo.

lamby22

It's Not Lupus

'did more than was expected' Can't argue with that. I didn't expect us to lose to Brighton, Palace, Forest or Everton. I didn't expect the club captain to be banished to Barcelona at a financial cost to the club.

On a serious not expected by who? Josh? Is Josh the type to be brainwashed by the "we have the youngest team in the league" spiel? Does Josh watch our games and see the eye-bleeding football we play?

At the start of the season in the other poll I voted that he's had his chance, I thought we'd finish about 8th so in truth it was more than I expected - but I had set such low standards for him and that shouldn't be the case for a team like Arsenal. We should always aim high.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Actual spend.

Tavares, Ben White and Lokonga were ego signings. He'd already made up his mind about AMN, Douzi and Saliba.
Going into this season, we had the third best defense last season. I would have spent the money on attackers but instead, he bought more defenders and the same issues that's plagued us last season has refused to go away which is our biggest issue; Chance creation.

Sorry for the essay.

Edit: Ramsdale has been Abit of a mixed bag. I like some of his attributes but he's I'm danger of becoming a Pickford mk2.
Finally a ‘War and Peace’ length post that makes sense.

Kav

Established Member

**** signings

Iffy signings

Ok to good signings

Superb signings

Why are you crediting arteta with academy graduates? He did not sign Smith Rowe nor Saka. Nor can he be credited for giving them their break through.

He stumbled upon the use of Smith Rowe and Martinelli.

Martinelli and Gabriel were all bought when Emery was in charge but you’re crediting them to Arteta?

I will admit to Partey and Ødegaard as being good acquisitions. Tomi is solid but injury prone. I don’t think White is a bad signing but I have always thought the money spent on him and Ramsdale was unnecessary. That was £80million we could have spent on our midfield.

You also forgot the mess that was Runarsson. Obvious money laundering that one.

SA Gunner

Why are you crediting arteta with academy graduates? He did not sign Smith Rowe nor Saka. Nor can he be credited for giving them their break through.

He stumbled upon the use of Smith Rowe and Martinelli.

Martinelli and Gabriel were all bought when Emery was in charge but you’re crediting them to Arteta?

I will admit to Partey and Ødegaard as being good acquisitions. Tomi is solid but injury prone. I don’t think White is a bad signing but I have always thought the money spent on him and Ramsdale was unnecessary. That was £80million we could have spent on our midfield.

You also forgot the mess that was Runarsson. Obvious money laundering that one.

Runnarson is a **** signing for sure, add it to that list.

Remember he could run this kids out the club as well, like he did with Guendouzi. He did choose to re-sign them, thus they make my list. I forgot about Auba as well to be honest, guess he falls in the good signings.

But if you want to be absolutely accurate in Arteta's work alone, that would be an addition to the ****/iffy signings for Runnarson, and subtractions for Martinelli, Tierney, Smith-Rowe, Saka, Auba.

**** overall then.

Arsenal Quotes

We played with a bit of a handbrake

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom