• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Eddie Nket14h: Answering The 📞 From England

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Walcott and Song are examples of turning water to wine considering where they started. All in the forum archives too if you don’t believe me about the hatred most of these guys received until they blossomed.
Idk about the forum but Walcott was a big deal, went to the euros/WC as a 16yo based off of nothing but hype. It made BBC news when we signed him. :lol:

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Walcott and Song are examples of turning water to wine considering where they started. All in the forum archives too if you don’t believe me about the hatred most of these guys received until they blossomed.
Walcott and Song definitely, look at their careers post Arsène just to see their "true" level. Walcott was a speed merchant, at best, but very well used

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Idk about the forum but Walcott was a big deal, went to the euros/WC as a 16yo based off of nothing but hype. It made BBC news when we signed him. :lol:
It's England, we hyped PRashford, who's now suing young kids in Egypt 15k which is lifetime's worth of earning for them for saying he's ****

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Made it worse for him. Being billed as the next Henry and his nice soft persona meant he came in for scathing criticism on and offline.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

It's England, we hyped PRashford, who's now suing young kids in Egypt 15k which is lifetime's worth of earning for them for saying he's ****
We both know that’s not what it’s about -_-

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Wasn’t even a fraction of this sort of crying when ESR got the no.10.

An academy player getting a famous squad number, what a tragedy.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
We both know that’s not what it’s about -_-
Nah **** Rashford for that, sending ten lawyers after some regarded kid in Egypt for typing some ridiculous nonsense allthewhile he's called the worst racist **** by his fellow English man and (rightly) ignores it.

Just log off you dickhead.

GDeep™

League is very weak
He also benefitted from playing in very attack oriented teams and we dominated a lot of games, especially against fodder. Walcott could always pad his stats. Saka is already better than Walcott ever was. I would say Walcott at his best was better than current Martinelli, Nketiah and ESR though.
Walcott scored against big teams, that’s was one of his things, especially against Chelsea.

Saka is a better footballer, Walcott was limited, but I’m not sure Saka will ever match the output of Walcott.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
I liked Walcott, if you forget the names who came before him he'd be looked on a lot higher, that's not his fault. Not necessarily as a starter but he'd have had a place in some of Wenger's earlier teams. 100 odd goals from the wing is not to be sniffed at. Always thought he was a brilliant finisher.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Yh I agree, mostly, he made them great, but you called them mediocre. Jamie O’Hara was mediocre, Walcott had insane pace, Hleb had insane dribbling, Adebayor was a nutcase and built like a sh*thouse. That was all natural and far from mediocre.
Everyone on here gets onto Nuno Tavares but he's basically the LB version of Walcott. When I think of class players I think of guys like Fabregas, RVP, Sagna hell even Nasri & Rosicky.

Hleb had insane dribbling but once he left Arsenal he was on the bench at Barcelona and ended up at BATE Borisov. Koscielny would've spent his whole career in Ligue 2 if Arsène didn't mould him. All these players were mediocre with a genius coach in Arsène.

BigPoppaPump

I think a good few on that list, in their prime, would have done well under other top managers, he was a great atta king manager but not a miracle worker.

Guys like Klopp, Fergie, Mourinho and other great managers have shown the ability to extract talent from limited/questionable players too. Wenger was just forced to do it more.

Ofc when you compare him to trash like Arteta then suddenly Wenger looks like Jesus in comparison.
I admit Ferguson, he was winning league title with Anderson/Clevery midfield. Klopp as well to a lesser extent but he made Dortmund and Liverpool two of the best teams in Europe after years of not doing much.

I just can't imagine Arteta being able to do anything with someone like Walcott, imagine him trying to coach Adebayor? He'd try to get Adebayor exiled from the country.

BigPoppaPump

That's true of many players, they looked great under Arsène but really poor elsewhere. People said wait til Klopp gets hold of Ox.
People expected him to win the league with these guys when top 4 itself was miracle work. In hindsight everyone here talking about how great Walcott was but anyone who was around then knows how frustrating he was as a player. Walcott has become an afterthought after Wenger stopped coaching him.

BigPoppaPump

Too easy to say this now. I remember the abuse Adebayor got when he first showed up, awkward, baggy touch.

Took a while for people to warm up to Hleb too, people actually thought he was sh*t but he was just shy and quiet.

Flamini whilst doing ok in the CL run was mostly thought of as a nuisance until he struck up a partnership with Cesc.

I could go on and on but Pump is right. This is why I don’t rate Arteta, he’d have given up on most of these guys, complained and a lot of you would have bought into it.

There’s levels to management and coaching.
Thank you! I don't get all this revisionism going on here like people didn't use to moan about these players all the time back then. Not to mention they were always called weak & soft. But no these guys should've been winning the league over those insane Man Utd and Chelsea squads.

Go compare Arsenal's squad in 2007/08 to Man Utd and Chelsea, it's actually ridiculous we only finished 4 and 2 points behind them respectively. That's with refs basically allowing our players to get fouled with no reprecussions while you couldn't touch a Man United player without getting a yellow.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
I admit Ferguson, he was winning league title with Anderson/Clevery midfield. Klopp as well to a lesser extent but he made Dortmund and Liverpool two of the best teams in Europe after years of not doing much.

I just can't imagine Arteta being able to do anything with someone like Walcott, imagine him trying to coach Adebayor? He'd try to get Adebayor exiled from the country.

That's part of the problem. 3 managers in 30 odd years, they just don't come around very often unfortunately.

We where very lucky to have 1 of them in a time where money was tight. After winning titles it wasn't nice seeing us stop contending but can really appreciate now how worse off we'd have been without him keeping the ship steady during those years.

Macho

DJ Machodemiks
Dusted 🔻

Thank you! I don't get all this revisionism going on here like people didn't use to moan about these players all the time back then. Not to mention they were always called weak & soft. But no these guys should've been winning the league over those insane Man Utd and Chelsea squads.

Go compare Arsenal's squad in 2007/08 to Man Utd and Chelsea, it's actually ridiculous we only finished 4 and 2 points behind them respectively. That's with refs basically allowing our players to get fouled with no reprecussions while you couldn't touch a Man United player without getting a yellow.

Tons of revisionism, nobody wanted these sorts of players lol. lol yeah Wenger was expected to challenge for the league which is funny to think about now.

The Man U bias with the refs was very bad

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Walcott scored against big teams, that’s was one of his things, especially against Chelsea.

Saka is a better footballer, Walcott was limited, but I’m not sure Saka will ever match the output of Walcott.
I think it depends on whether Saka stays with us for 10 years and gets to play with better team mates and under a better manager. Off this seasons figures alone, over that time frame and in 4 comps, I'd back him to come close to Walcott's output.

Arsenal Quotes

Religiously, it is said that God created man. I am only a guide. I allow others to express what they have in them. I have not created anything. I am a facilitator of what is beautiful in man.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom