• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Manager Wish-List Thread

Who do you want?

• Brendan Rodgers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Antonio Conte

• Christophe Galtier

• Roberto Martinez

• Paulo Fonseca

• Gian Piero Gasperini

• Total voters

db10_therza

šŸŽµ Edu getting rickrolled šŸŽµ
Trusted ā­

Player:Martinelli
Potter is one of those I find hard to group in with the top managers. Not because I don't rate him either.

Doing well at Brighton is one thing, you can operate a bit more under the radar, less scrutiny when things / buys go wrong. Generally just less pressure. Does he have the personality to manage a big club and thrive under real scrutiny?

I rate him highly with what he's done but I'd like to see him do well at a top 6 club before I put him in the real upper bracket of managers.

I think Potter has the philosophy and skills to do it at the top level but there have also been a number of managers who do well but only at a certain level. That question mark will remain until he gets a chance at one of the big boys for me.
Potter is a fantastic manager with exactly the kind of philosophy most of us would like to see at Arsenal. Problem with him is he lacks something intangible that you need at a big club. Makes it hard to take him seriously. Wenger was a complete unknown but he had gravitas and that takes you a long way. Potter reminds me of the IT support guy at my work. Hang on Iā€™ve forgotten his nameā€¦

Itā€™s a shame because he really is brilliant. Hopefully he keeps making small steps up the ladder and ends up at a big club, he deserves it.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ā­ļøā­ļøā­ļøā­ļøā­ļø (49)
Trusted ā­

Based on last season then Thomas Frank deserves to be in the conversation. I posted this before but this exposes some of the names A-M licks their lips over:

A750912A-6D10-405D-A6E2-FBD4BD459737.jpeg

I donā€™t even rate Tuchel as highly as some do.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Miles better also Rodgers although he is a jerk. Arteta is barely a top ten manager in Pl.

All the managers Iā€™d take over Arteta:
Potter, Moyes, Rodgers, Tuchel, Klopp, Pep, Conte, and yes Ten Hag

Mood What GIF by NBC

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Miles better also Rodgers although he is a jerk. Arteta is barely a top ten manager in Pl.

All the managers Iā€™d take over Arteta:
Potter, Moyes, Rodgers, Tuchel, Klopp, Pep, Conte, and yes Ten Hag

Not Rodgers for me, dont think he is better than Mikel.

I'd only take Pep, Klopp, Tuchel, Potter, perhaps Frank and Howe over Arteta.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
Still don't get the hype about Potter. There's lots of it that *looks* good. But they also look like a puzzle that hasn't been finished for 3 years with no actual improvement.

Couldn't tell you if its on him or the club though that they can't take the next step.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I wonder if Potter is better than Arteta? šŸ¤”
I think there's a far greater chance of Potter doing what Arteta has with the Arsenal budget and squad than Arteta doing what Potter has with the Brighton budget and squad. Areta has spent the better part of 300M just to get the team playing watchable football. Potter has had Brighton doing it for years on a fraction of that.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Still don't get the hype about Potter. There's lots of it that *looks* good. But they also look like a puzzle that hasn't been finished for 3 years with no actual improvement.

Couldn't tell you if its on him or the club though that they can't take the next step.
Probably because they're Brighton. What next step are they meant to be taking? They sell players every summer and there's no drop off. What more should Potter be doing? :lol:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ā­

I mean they finished 9th last year between Leicester and Wolves.

Thatā€™s a big achievement imo.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik šŸŸ„

Player:Havertz

Iā€™d take Viera over him to, Moyes did better and had his team in a European final on a fraction of the money and at his time at Everton they were firmly in top ten never had relegation battle with zero money. He failed at United who hasnā€™t? The club is in a massive rot and for some reason they never backed him financially like the other managers post Fergie. Iā€™d also take Howe over him. To me Arteta is at best a very average top flight manager.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ā­ļøā­ļøā­ļøā­ļøā­ļø (49)
Trusted ā­

Probably because they're Brighton. What next step are they meant to be taking? They sell players every summer and there's no drop off. What more should Potter be doing? :lol:

He done a great job at Ɩstersunds too:

Funny that Potter is being held to such high expectations with such an elite club like Brighton who should be competing for the CL straight after being promoted but Arteta hasnā€™t been given that same energy by some.

SA Gunner

Iā€™d take Viera over him to, Moyes did better and had his team in a European final on a fraction of the money and at his time at Everton they were firmly in top ten never had relegation battle with zero money. He failed at United who hasnā€™t? The club is in a massive rot and for some reason they never backed him financially like the other managers post Fergie. Iā€™d also take Howe over him. To me Arteta is at best a very average top flight manager.

I think your personal dislike of Arteta clouds your analysis on the work he has done at Arsenal.

All managers who deliver at the very top have money spent on their squads, it doesnt matter who they are. The differences come in with the finer details like philosophy and tactics, and that's where you can see what Arteta has about him in terms of team performance.

Vieira hasnt shown enough quality to be superior to Mikel IMO. Sure, its not a fair comparison because they are world's apart in terms of money spent, but if you look at the in game tactics you see the difference IMO. But this is not fair because of the money.

A clear case for me is Potter. He spends a fraction of the top spending managers, but his tactical planning shines through. He regularly takes his team to the bigger sides and dominates them at football. To be able to do that, at a fraction of the cost is a sign of world class ability. That's why I rate Potter as elite... and if Arsenal are smart, they would bring him in if Arteta fails.

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
Give Arteta Danny Welbeck and even Riou would be hating on dat guy at this point.

Arteta can't be compared to other managers because no manager in the PL has been given half a billion and 3 years for his plan regardless of how he performs in the meantime.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik šŸŸ„

Player:Havertz
I think your personal dislike of Arteta clouds your analysis on the work he has done at Arsenal.

All managers who deliver at the very top have money spent on their squads, it doesnt matter who they are. The differences come in with the finer details like philosophy and tactics, and that's where you can see what Arteta has about him in terms of team performance.

Vieira hasnt shown enough quality to be superior to Mikel IMO. Sure, its not a fair comparison because they are world's apart in terms of money spent, but if you look at the in game tactics you see the difference IMO. But this is not fair because of the money.

A clear case for me is Potter. He spends a fraction of the top spending managers, but his tactical planning shines through. He regularly takes his team to the bigger sides and dominates them at football. To be able to do that, at a fraction of the cost is a sign of world class ability. That's why I rate Potter as elite... and if Arsenal are smart, they would bring him in if Arteta fails.
Fully agree on Potter, but I have no dislike for Arteta or like for him. I am judging him on two straight subpar years despite massive investment and time. Remember early on I was accused of Artetasexuality and being hairspray or hairstylist or some Arteta lovers alter ego. A manager who doesnā€™t win trophies after being given tons of money and time and authority is as worthless as tits on a bull. Being loved as a football manager is easy just win somethings everyone cares about this country gives knighthoods to good managers, you want love win, otherwise take your millions and go get f..Ed no matter who you are as a manager.

SA Gunner

Fully agree on Potter, but I have no dislike for Arteta or like for him. I am judging him on two straight subpar years despite massive investment and time. Remember early on I was accused of Artetasexuality and being hairspray or hairstylist or some Arteta lovers alter ego. A manager who doesnā€™t win trophies after being given tons of money and time and authority is as worthless as tits on a bull. Being loved as a football manager is easy just win somethings everyone cares about this country gives knighthoods to good managers, you want love win, otherwise take your millions and go get f..Ed no matter who you are as a manager.

We needed that investment mate, whether its come in 2 years or over 10 years. Point is, we needed to spend money. We can question how the rebuilt went of course (Auba, Ɩzil, other contract terminations), but I dont think that's relevant to the fact that we needed to do it.

We have rebuilt our team now and we are 3-4 players away from this team being ready for almost any situation a season could throw at us.

Add to that a competent manager who can get the best out of this rebuilt team and we are onto big big things at Arsenal. This last part is the big test for Mikel now, and something we will finally get answered this season.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
I mean they finished 9th last year between Leicester and Wolves.

Thatā€™s a big achievement imo.
It very much is. And he's a decent manager.

I'm just not seeing the greatness that others are seeing in their overall play. To me there's always something, a tactical instruction, a tactical piece missing when I watch them. And said piece has been missing for me ever since I've first seen Potter's Brighton. Players got better, Execution got way better, but still.

This is purely from watching Brighton and I've had that opinion for years (you can check). If I see that final piece I'll agree he's worth all the hype. Before that, nah.

It's also gut and feeling based as I'm not able to express what exactly I mean with that final piece, so just disregard my opinion on it if you want.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ā­

It very much is. And he's a decent manager.

I'm just not seeing the greatness that others are seeing in their overall play. To me there's always something, a tactical instruction, a tactical piece missing when I watch them. And said piece has been missing for me ever since I've first seen Potter's Brighton. Players got better, Execution got way better, but still.

This is purely from watching Brighton and I've had that opinion for years (you can check). If I see that final piece I'll agree he's worth all the hype. Before that, nah.

It's also gut and feeling based as I'm not able to express what exactly I mean with that final piece, so just disregard my opinion on it if you want.

Think heā€™s definitely a proper talent as a manager.

Whole other game managing big egos though Iā€™ll happily admit. Different game at the top of the table in many ways.

Think he should take the England job for a bit then go bigger team.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ā­

Rodgers is an interesting one. Significant seasons of overachievement coupled with some down years. I heard he did well in Scotland as well but not sure.

I think he doesnā€™t get enough ratings for having Leicester in races for the top four deep into the season, I think with more funds he would have qualified for the CL two years in a row which is huge for Leicester. Thereā€™s only so long you can overachieve for though and what I see from them isnā€™t surprising now.

I do think heā€™s earned another shot at a big budget but I donā€™t think Iā€™d sack Arteta for him.

Arsenal Quotes

I am not arrogant and I'm not frightened to say it.. Arsenal can go through whole season unbeaten

ArsĆØne Wenger
Top Bottom