• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
How would you describe his profile in midfield? Can he play at TP5 role, and is he capable of deal with such volume of play, and press resistance for 90 minutes with high levels of concentration?

I feel any player we get in as our six, would need some time to settle into the role and what is required from it. Therefore I'm sure the club would be open to players who have the needed characteristics, and build from there.
From what I’ve seen, he’s a bit de jong like in that he can play all the positions, I’d imagine 6 would be his long term position. But I really need to see more

Xln

Get me Jesus on the phone 📲
Bellingham will be decent in the prem. Nothing more.

Iwobi would tear up the Bundesliga and we let him go ffs. I know who's clear.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah

Looking at Iwobi's form in his new number 6 role for Everton, I'd actually try and bid for him again. Rather than a Douglas Luiz for example.

Get in Iwobi, to replace Elneny, get in a replacement for TP5 and keep Lokonga to continue his development.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Things have definitely changed this season. Either Arteta has had a Eureka moment or people like Jesus and Zinchenko have had an influence on his thinking. The midfield and forward lines are pushing up and he's using Martinelli and Saka out wide all the time with the full backs inverting into midfield. This is why he's preferring Zinchenko and White to more standard full backs like Tierney and Tomi.

I don’t think Jesus and Zinchenko have much input into tactics - be pretty weird if that was the case at any club tbh… imagine all the players would start piping up if they saw certain views get implemented and it would turn into chaos.

The way I see it, Arteta is a systems manager. He can train his team to play a certain system to a high level. Similar to conte really, except I like artetas system and think contes is ****.

He can make some tactical tweak around the system but by and large he’s not “flexible”. This is in contrast to Arsène. Wenger had a broad overarching philosophy of playing beautiful attacking football, but he was very flexible and could mould a team together around whatever players he had.

What I think happened in Artetas first two seasons was him trying to be more like wenger. But he can’t, he doesn’t have it in him. I wouldn’t say it was a “lightbulb” moment that saw him flick the switch as much as it being him finally getting the personnel he needed to be able to play his system, and the required time in the off-season to drill the system into the players.

Edit: basically what I’m saying is arteta is an architect where wenger was a gardener in this paradigm: Architects and Gardeners – The Hammer.

samspade

Yep for sure I think when you're trying to push beyond 4th spot there's a couple of approaches in terms of the players you bring in.

If you're going to be dropping lots of dollar then I prefer going for expensive young players that have good ability as well as massive potential, they tend to be expensive but I'd rather that than spending money on a player that's still expensive but is also older. Players like Bellingham, Haaland, Saliba and even less expensive players like Tomi, Gabi (CB) are the best imo because they offer you immediate quality and also upside.

For a direct comparison, I'd rather sign someone like Rodri (who was 23 when City signed him for approx £60M) than a Casemiro, also £60M but 30.
With add ons it was 70 for Casemiro wasn’t it? That was bloody stupid in my opinion. Would you have De jong for 70 or Bellingham for 80?

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
How would you describe his profile in midfield? Can he play at TP5 role, and is he capable of deal with such volume of play, and press resistance for 90 minutes with high levels of concentration?

I feel any player we get in as our six, would need some time to settle into the role and what is required from it. Therefore I'm sure the club would be open to players who have the needed characteristics, and build from there.

Unsure at this stage tbh. He may end up being a 6. I've seen him play deeper for Dortmund at times and been really impressed.

Think he likes to drift around a bit, irrespective for his starting position. Got really quick feet though, short sharp passing, rarely looks under pressure and can get himself out of tight holes. Happy to put a foot into a tackle.

I'm no Bundesliga expert though so I'm sure there are others who could give you a more accurate summation of his game. Most of my experience of him comes from him playing for England.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
I don’t think Jesus and Zinchenko have much input into tactics - be pretty weird if that was the case at any club tbh… imagine all the players would start piping up if they saw certain views get implemented and it would turn into chaos.

The way I see it, Arteta is a systems manager. He can train his team to play a certain system to a high level. Similar to conte really, except I like artetas system and think contes is ****.

He can make some tactical tweak around the system but by and large he’s not “flexible”. This is in contrast to Arsène. Wenger had a broad overarching philosophy of playing beautiful attacking football, but he was very flexible and could mould a team together around whatever players he had.

What I think happened in Artetas first two seasons was him trying to be more like wenger. But he can’t, he doesn’t have it in him. I wouldn’t say it was a “lightbulb” moment that saw him flick the switch as much as it being him finally getting the personnel he needed to be able to play his system, and the required time in the off-season to drill the system into the players.

Edit: basically what I’m saying is arteta is an architect where wenger was a gardener in this paradigm: Architects and Gardeners – The Hammer.

Yeah, Arteta has clearly brought in the likes of Zinchenko and Jesus because they fit into the profile and system that he wanted to employ and he has experience working with them.

Zinchenko and Jesus haven't been telling Arteta how to play them I'm pretty certain :lol:

samspade

Yeah, Arteta has clearly brought in the likes of Zinchenko and Jesus because they fit into the system that he wanted to employ and he has experience working with them.

Zinchenko and Jesus haven't been telling Arteta how to play them I'm pretty certain :lol:
Don’t feed him mate

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

So he wanted to play this system for two and a half years, but the players were holding him back. Interesting.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

With add ons it was 70 for Casemiro wasn’t it? That was bloody stupid in my opinion. Would you have De jong for 70 or Bellingham for 80?

Ahh is it, well there we go; Casemiro was even more expensive than Rodri and buys like that wouldn't be how I'd want us to spend our money.

Erm, I suppose I haven't seen either enough to give an insightful argument eitherway, De Jong seems to currently have more end product but is 6 years older. I've heard so many good things about Bellingham and combined with his age and the English factor, I'd probably go for him, even if it's £10M more.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐

Thought this elitist garbage be would put away after Haaland came from the Bundesliga and doubled his scoring rate straight away making PL defences look like utter dogshit in the process.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

So he wanted to play this system for two and a half years, but the players were holding him back. Interesting.
Isn't it? I have told you like 10 times that Emery and Arteta had to fix the past it for modern football mostly deadwood squad that Wenger left them. Takes time and money you know.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli

Not exactly. This is his preferred system. He wrongly thought he was good enough to be able to try something else given the players at his disposal and he wasn’t.

It’s hardly a bold statement to say “his preferred” system as a graduate of the pep school of football is to play sth a bit like pep… if anything suggesting otherwise is insane in my opinion.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Not the right thread but if they’re going to cost in and around the same I’d take Rice over Bellingham. Then I’d buy Bellingham’s younger brother.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Yeah, Arteta has clearly brought in the likes of Zinchenko and Jesus because they fit into the profile and system that he wanted to employ and he has experience working with them.

You saying Tierney and Laca couldn't play that role so he preferred to play a different system where Tierney was a more traditional full back and Laca a deep lying CF. Interesting take.

samspade

Not the right thread but if they’re going to cost in and around the same I’d take Rice over Bellingham. Then I’d buy Bellingham’s younger brother.
Rice is overrated imo. Wouldn’t want him

Arsenal Quotes

No one could have imagined for a single second that he would come to us. Only David Dein, Sol, his agent, and I knew what was going on. When I called a press conference to announce the arrival of a new player, and Sol Campbell walked into the room full of journalists, it was a bombshell.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom