• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Gabriel Jesus: Will He Score Again?

blaze_of_glory

I would be shocked if he doesn’t start scoring again after the world cup. Little disruption will help him shake it off

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
He's not giving up scoring, ffs.

He scored an offside goal today and hit the bar, he had a shot blocked brilliantly after another great run too and had a header flash just wide...he's having shots, just ain't happening for him yet.

He's just getting individually unlucky right now, despite doing great work for the team...he will have a good chunk of goals by season's end.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
Im with Jimmy, sign Toney job done.
In a way this feels like a deliberate move because him not staying in the box disrupts the defenders and he can pick out other players that go forward so it's more unpredictable, but at the same time Jimmy does have a point with that 1 chance scenario where you want your striker to put it away.

So far this situation has been working, but there were a good 4-5 games where we barely got that goal and we lacked the sharpness up front.

Toney would be better than Jesus in that position, but we don't know how he'll work in a possession based setup, because he's thriving in a counterattacking team.

Bagels

Trusted ⭐

Great player, contributing massively to the team.

I'd be more worried about this drought if he weren't getting chances in the first place, lots that on another day could have easily been goals (like some today)... think things will start going his way sooner rather than later.

Plenty of room for him to grow yet, too.

Riou

Laca was a very good indicator of what Arteta wants from his striker last season, and how it works despite lack of goals.

Alex was starting to lose his legs last season, isn't as good as Jesus even when he was at his best in 2019 and only managed 4 league goals...but brought the best out of the players around him (Saka and ESR getting double figures) and we still nearly and should have got Champions League with him playing most of the season as CF...now we have upgraded on that blueprint, and are doing better because of it, rather than go for a more natural goal scorer.

What we are doing with the system, is working.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
Laca was a very good indicator of what Arteta wants from his striker last season, and how it works despite lack of goals.

Alex was starting to lose his legs last season, isn't as good as Jesus even when he was at his best in 2019 and only managed 4 league goals...but brought the best out of the players around him (Saka and ESR getting double figures) and we still nearly and should have got Champions League with him playing most of the season as CF.

What we are doing with the system, is working.
Comparing his goal scoring to Laca doesn’t make sense. Laca wasn’t getting shots. Jesus is getting chances and shooting, he’s just missing atm. That has more in common with Auba, but I don’t remember any of this energy for him.

Riou

Comparing his goal scoring to Laca doesn’t make sense. Laca wasn’t getting shots. Jesus is getting chances and shooting, he’s just missing atm. That has more in common with Auba, but I don’t remember any of this energy for him.

This is also key, tbh.

Laca starting to be past it the last two seasons, meant he was just too slow to do all this stuff and be a goal threat like he used to.

Jesus is kinda like having both Auba and Laca in one player on the pitch, which has really lifted our whole game.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I think Jesus has been excellent for us this season in most facets of his game. I'd still like to see more goals from him though. It's not like he's not getting the chances.

It's fine comparing him to Firmino but he had two 20+ goal a season wide men flanking him. We don't as it stands. Martinelli and Saka just aren't at that level yet.

It's not like I want Jesus dropped or don't rate him but he could do with working on his finishing a bit.

One day those misses will cost us points.
The team is flying and nice high xG chances are being created for everyone but what happens if/when we have tough games where we need someone to take a half chance? Are we looking at MartiSaka and Ødegaard?

That’s why it’s important he scores now, that’s why it’s worrying he’s not because it doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence that he will when we need him to.

I didn’t watch today’s game but if @Nacho ‘s right and he’s already kind of shirking responsibility to other guys that’s not good because Saka, Nelli and co can create chances against anyone. Jesus is meant to be our best goalscorer. That’s what we expected right?

Riou

The team is flying and nice high xG chances are being created for everyone but what happens if/when we have tough games where we need someone to take a half chance? Are we looking at MartiSaka and Ødegaard?

That’s why it’s important he scores now, that’s why it’s worrying he’s not because it doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence that he will when we need him to.

I didn’t watch today’s game but if @Nacho ‘s right and he’s already kind of shirking responsibility to other guys that’s not good because Saka, Nelli and co can create chances against anyone. Jesus is meant to be our best goalscorer. That’s what we expected right?

Think he had more shots for us today than any other player, was just offside for one he scored and hit the bar on another...he's a streaky player, but think Arteta wants our front four to share the goals, so that's fine...they will all get good double figures in this system.

Think he just needs some luck and the goals will come again, as @samspade said he is still getting chances which is the main thing...it's not like what it was the last two seasons with Laca.

Riou

I’m guessing he won’t be scoring for arsenal in the league for at-least the next month and a half.

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
I didn’t watch today’s game but if @Nacho ‘s right and he’s already kind of shirking responsibility to other guys that’s not good
How is it not good for him to put others in goal scoring positions? He started the attack for the first goal and almost assisted Ødegaard later. He's a jack of all trades up front.

samspade

"You said I said" detection expert at your service
This bloke contributes to an extremely oppressive front three. More oppressive than we've seen in the league for quite a while tbh, because of how complete they are. All of them are experts with their body, they can all protect the ball, they can all take it down under pressure (so it's like having three target men at its best), they are all a threat in behind, and they are all very insistent pressers. Saka and Martinelli even have an element of tempo control and don't often give the ball away.

He needs to finish more off but we don't appreciate what we've got. This front three exert a suffocating influence on the game that's unmatched in the league

TopGunner81

People are saying that since Jesus is roaming around so much that we should move him to the wing or behind a new CF, like Toney.
But it’s because he roams around that we are so fluid in attack and are able to create so many chances. His link up play on the left creating overloads and link up play from deeper. Bringing Toney in would change the whole dynamic of out attack. Why would people want to fix something that isn’t broken?

KrissKringle

Reinventing VAR 😡
But it’s because he roams around that we are so fluid in attack and are able to create so many chances. His link up play on the left creating overloads and link up play from deeper. Bringing Toney in would change the whole dynamic of out attack. Why would people want to fix something that isn’t broken?
Are you being daft on purpose, friend? By bringing a CF we would only be more efficient, because Jesus will continue to do what he does and focus more on creating chances than trying to score.

Arsenal Quotes

In 1997/98 we became English champions as I had set myself three missions to carry out which I felt were essential. One: to have an impact on the result and the team's playing style. Two: to foster the player's individual development. Three: to strengthen the structure of the club and enhance its global influence.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Daily Transfer Updates

Friday, May 17

Cedric and Mohamed Elneny will leave the clubs when their contracts expire this summer [Fabrizio Romano]

Newcastle have joined Arsenal and Liverpool in the race to sign Barcelona winger Raphinha [TBR Football]

Arsenal are keen on Benfica’s 21 year old striker Marcos Leonardo [TBR Football]

Aaron Ramsdale denies agreement to join Newcastle:

Talks have progressed over a deal to take Ramsdale to Newcastle, in a potential £15m deal [Luke Edwards and Sam Dean - Telegraph]

Latest posts

Top Bottom