• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The rewritting history thread, or how Mikel/Arsenal turned it around. Or didn't. What even IS real?

Macho

Documenting your downfall 🎥
Dusted 🔻

Both the revisionism and the back slapping has just completely taken over this thread though.

They can do all that, but personally I never ever ever want to see a repeat of Arteta’s initial couple years at the club ever again. It was embarrassing, miserable and in my opinion unnecessarily as per my Utd and Newcastle examples

If people want to polish turds that’s on them.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The older players (free/loans) were short term solutions to try and keep things steady through experience. Long term ambition was always to rebuild with young players. No need to make stuff up.
Show me the evidence that the young player route was always the plan from the very start, even though we didn't buy our first young players until the start of last season, before you start talking about people making things up though.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

There was that 1 trusted member, who went against the grain and backed Mikel…. I forgot his name though 👀
It wasn't you. I remember you wanted Arteta out for buying Ramsdale and White iirc. Lol.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Think one of Arteta’s biggest strengths is managing upwards. The guy is obviously an elite level coach, but you also get the vibe he could easily sit on the Arsenal board itself.

The big reason for his success is that he got all of the right people on his side as soon as he walked through the door, namely the decision makes on the board and our talented young players. It bought him the time he needed himself to grow as a coach and learn from his mistakes (which he’ll be the first to admit he did make).

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Arteta started off bringing in older players and things didn't work out for him, he switched to younger player and made some excellent acquisitions which have really paid off. I don't see the point in being overly dramatic bro.
What people don't realize, is Arsenal's FFP problems (huge wages vs. UEL revenues), which likely had a big part in bringing cheap squaddies like Mari and Cedric to the club in his first transfer window.

The big miss for many is how much activating a release clause affects FFP. Arteta tried to address two very important positions in his first summer window by getting Gabriel and Partey. And they got Willian for cheap too because of FFP, as needing to activate Partey's release clause meant paying it all in one go.

To me it has always looked like "first strategy" was kind of forced to them because of FFP and Partey plans. And then Partey surprisingly to all, could play only like 50% of games which affected Arteta's success in the first seasons as the most important player he got could not play nearly as much as needed.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
I think Arteta was sh*t for a long time and got lucky that the work he was doing was seen by the people that matter really.

The stuff he had to deal with was typical manager stuff but he seemed to have garnered more sympathy than most. Covid was not exclusive to Mikel, not having ideal squad etc.

I think Ten Hag and Howe coming in and turning things around a lot quicker has highlighted Arteta's inexperience for me and what we had to sit through. The success now has invited some revisionism and misplaced gloating.

But didn’t Arteta come in and win the FA Cup almost immediately after his arrival at the club? He did it playing almost exactly the way Ten Hag and Howe are playing football right now too.

There is no doubt that Arteta struggled in his initial tenure, anyone who says otherwise and I’d add on by saying anyone who kept 100% faith in him then are either lying or knew something we didn’t at the time.

They are very likely lying, and just because they moved to become pro Arteta slightly ahead of the curve, makes them seem like winners now.

Also I’m not buying the inexperience argument as much anymore, because I just don’t think you can learn that quickly and elevate to Pep levels in a space of months, or as some suggest “by pivoting overnight”. There has to have been a level of competence from the get go. To be able to recruit and build a team of non-stars the way that Arteta has.

The only reason I think Arteta survived all this time, with the investment level, is because he was seen as close to elite from the beginning. When we couldn’t see it.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Squad that we accumulated over the years was so poor we had to pay players to leave. We had nearly no assets and whatever we had was on ridiculous wages. Of course that's not gonna reflect well on the net :lol: . That was a big part of the mess that needed sorting out and took the better part of two years.

Mutiny was 100% there (dressing room leaks and social media propaganda), but tbf Emery had to deal with that as well towards the end. Hence him losing the dressing room.

Mikel made sure that wasn't going to happen and cleared out the rot that had poisoned the dressing room over the years. This is undeniable however way you want to spin it. He's been proven right on most if not all his (the clubs) decisions. Hardly any of these players have done anything of value since leaving.
The same team Arteta took to two 8th placed finishes (just one if you want to discount the first half season fair enough) got 70pts and an EL final couple months before he took over.

Since they left: Auba fired Barcelona into the CL, Pepe slowly rebuilding at Nice (after getting discarded despite getting 16 for Arsenal), Laca is at 15 goals halfway through the season, Martinez won a Copa and WC, Ceballos has benched Modric and is about to get a contract extension for the CL winners.

Xhaka is the best example of Arteta's growth as a manager, he was one of the weaknesses in our first XI when he took over and his insistence of playing him has led to him becoming one of the first names on the team sheet. Who's saying this wouldn't have happened if Arteta had the same (probably even less) patience with the other guys he's banished from the squad?

Arteta made loads of massive costly mistakes, not sure why this needs to be revisited now. That's just as factual as that we're now massively overperforming under him.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
I meant myself but tbf I forgot about Blood on the tracks :lol:

Tbh, it was always an even split... Stuff just gets amplified because of notoriety and the perchance of @Trilly to rile the forum up with things he didn't say and catching a bunch of strays for it :lol:

Saka not withstanding, of course. That one is on him.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
It wasn't you. I remember you wanted Arteta out for buying Ramsdale and White iirc. Lol.
The only time I was ever Arteta out in his entire time here was out of emotion after that Brentford 1st game of the season more because I was pissed he loaned out out Saliba. I went back to backing him a few days later.

Spent countless times debating with the likes of you and other Trusted members on topics like Özil, Auba and Arteta which I was correct on all of them about lol.

Some of you guys are tryna move the goalposts, just hold the L

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Tbh, it was always an even split... Stuff just gets amplified because of notoriety and the perchance of @Trilly to rile the forum up with things he didn't say and catching a bunch of strays for it :lol:

Saka not withstanding, of course. That one is on him.
IRL it was more of a split or maybe even more weighted to Arteta tbf. But IMO this was very much an Arteta Out dominated forum at the time.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
“The thread where people pretend they didn’t get Arteta completely wrong”

Nah, mate. Real talk time, you can't deny people are trying hard to rewrite how bad it got under him.

Three times he couldve been sacked and no one would've complained.

It literally made you think you weren't a man child like the rest of us, no one out grows AM.

Not even your bootcut, soprano loving head.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

But didn’t Arteta come in and win the FA Cup almost immediately after his arrival at the club? He did it playing almost exactly the way Ten Hag and Howe are playing football right now too.

There is no doubt that Arteta struggled in his initial tenure, anyone who says otherwise and I’d add on by saying anyone who kept 100% faith in him then are either lying or knew something we didn’t at the time.

They are very likely lying, and just because they moved to become pro Arteta slightly ahead of the curve, makes them seem like winners now.

Also I’m not buying the inexperience argument as much anymore, because I just don’t think you can learn that quickly and elevate to Pep levels in a space of months, or as some suggest “by pivoting overnight”. There has to have been a level of competence from the get go. To be able to recruit and build a team of non-stars the way that Arteta has.

The only reason I think Arteta survived all this time, with the investment level, is because he was seen as close to elite from the beginning. When we couldn’t see it.
I agree with much of that. Arteta really convinced Josh right from the start that he had it in him to run a successful team. But much of Arteta's success has also been down to the players we've aquired in the last two years. So Edu deserves some big praise too.
There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that to win the Premiere league everything has to be right in that season . . the fans, owner, the transfer team and of course the manager.

Arsenal Quotes

I can really see the light. I’m telling you I’m very positive most of the time. I’ve seen the light and I can see bright lights. There can be bumps in the road within that light, but I can see a lot of light.

Mikel Arteta

Latest posts

Top Bottom