• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
outlaw_member said:
I think some people watch football with their eyes closed. Fabregas could never perform the role that Arteta has over the past few years. For the simple fact that Mikel can tackle, whilst Cesc cannot. Since arriving from Everton, Arteta has averaged about 4-5 tackles per game. That is a significant number for a player performing as part of a pivot. When you add Ramsey's tackling numbers into the mix, it's no wonder that together they formed the best central midfield partnership we've had for a very long time.

vintage+ironing.jpg

Oh the ironing!

Seriously though, Mikel can't tackle to any credible standard and anyone who watches football with their eyes open can see that. He's a positional player who relies on intelligence and technical ability rather than any physical presence which is why he's such a poor DM in this league and for this team. It also doesn't help that his previously average physical stature has deteriorated further and further - his legs are gone and he gets outmussled by shellfish.

I also think people forget that Fabregas would regularly top the charts for KM run in a match - his workrate was unequalled in his time here.

In addition, I think a lot are missing the point. Kallstrom was bought in to replace Ramsey for his injury, right? Wrong. He was brought in because Ramsey will probably get a recurrence of his injury or need resting during the season. Squad depth, people. Özil is the same.

Cesc is also a different sort of playmaker to Özil - the sort of direct running that Özil showed vs. Soton was a regular occurrence for Fabregas here and would be again. We'd have proper midfield rotation amongst world class players, and we could set up shop differently against different opponents.

The only negative I can think of is that it might use up funds that should be spent on other areas of the team first.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Arteta can definitely tackle, it's helped by his reading of the game.... he doesn't fly into tackles like a Roy Keane or even Flamini, but he's very astute and has made his fair share of tackles over the course of his short Arsenal career. He's also a master of interceptions. His speed often lets him down but his tackling and defensive tactical awareness are absolutely top notch for a player who's only recently adapted that position.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Arteta isn't good on the ball anymore either he just plays backwards and sideways. He is fairly disciplined to be fair but once a player is the wrong side of him he's had it. I couldn't imagine us not going in for Cesc if he became unavailable - I just want a dominating midfield who can either bulldoze through or out pass opponents as our current team barely wins any midfield battles.

Midfield is our strongest area yet the least balanced and performing area of the team.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
truth_hurts said:
Arteta isn't good on the ball anymore either he just plays backwards and sideways. He is fairly disciplined to be fair but once a player is the wrong side of him he's had it. I couldn't imagine us not going in for Cesc if he became unavailable - I just want a dominating midfield who can either bulldoze through or out pass opponents as our current team barely wins any midfield battles.

Midfield is our strongest area yet the least balanced and performing area of the team.
And the thing we lack the most is the one thing Cesc wouldn't address.

Power.

We need better midfielders defensively too, but they must have more power IMO.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli
Tir Na Nog said:
Arteta can definitely tackle, it's helped by his reading of the game.... he doesn't fly into tackles like a Roy Keane or even Flamini, but he's very astute and has made his fair share of tackles over the course of his short Arsenal career. He's also a master of interceptions. His speed often lets him down but his tackling and defensive tactical awareness are absolutely top notch for a player who's only recently adapted that position.

I've already addressed this. He is a positional DM for us, but to say he can tackle is naive. He gets run through regularly. Just because someone made a tackle once doesn't mean they are a good tackler.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We've been without a truly powerful midfielder for so long I think it's actually become a bit overrated. Looking back through the matches where we dropped points I don't think you can put it all down to a lack of power.

It can be useful, but players we intelligence are just as effective.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Penn_ said:
We've been without a truly powerful midfielder for so long I think it's actually become a bit overrated. Looking back through the matches where we dropped points I don't think you can put it all down to a lack of power.

It can be useful, but players we intelligence are just as effective.

The reason why it's so sought after is because we've lacked it. I agree that intelligence is just as effective - after all, Song was powerful but he wasn't the most intelligent DM. My opinion is this...

We need a combination of tactical intelligence, defensive ability AND power in midfield. Technique is something of a given, creativity as a DLP maybe. But I feel that other than Ramsey, we've lacked athleticism as well as the right defensive attributes.

Cesc, to me, is not going to address that. I think he'd be a good signing, but in a very particular set-up. He would either rotate with Özil or play deep alongside Ramsey or whoever else we could buy in midfield. In short, we kinda don't need Fabregas at this point. Not when we have Özil. Fabregas will have to demonstrate defensive ability and tactical acumen to play that role.

I still vote for a more powerful player in this regard. As most who read my posts will know, my vote is Geoffrey Kondogbia. Fits the bill more than other midfielders IMO. Although Bender and Schneiderlin are favorites too.

Tir Na Nog

DJ_Markstar said:
Tir Na Nog said:

I've already addressed this. He is a positional DM for us, but to say he can tackle is naive. He gets run through regularly. Just because someone made a tackle once doesn't mean they are a good tackler.

:roll: Ah yes that's what I'm basing it on... well done.

truth_hurts

We need quicker transitions from defence to attack this can be through the bursting power of Diaby or Ox, the bursting runs of Ramsey or Wilshere or possibly through through balls from deep which bar Kallstrom on Tuesday has barely been seen this season. We have lacked purpose in midfield and attack tragically this season, it's like nobody wants to run (with or without the ball) or shoot. with Ox, Ramsey and Theo we have that plus Rosicky to a degree. we need more penetration and Cesc can provide that. names wise Cesc, Reus and Balotelli would transform US so might as well wish list all 3.

DanAust

If man city can accommodate Nasri and silva, we can accommodate Cesc and Özil. Rather than trying to get Cesc to be something he's not (capable of defending for extended period), I'd have özil out on the wing, switching sides with theo, like ancelotti had him do with Ronaldo. Plus we could get a all out defensive beast along side Ramsey.

This video shows, while not his favourite position, how much time he spent killing fullbacks on the wing at Real. Cesc comes in Cazorla is the one who misses out ( until we are hit by injuries AGAIN)
<a class="postlink" href="http://youtu.be/VywOgIzJnI0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://youtu.be/VywOgIzJnI0</a>

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Generally, Arteta makes more tackles because players are more comfortable taking him on. He's not a bad tackler IMO, but we could do better there. His positioning is what makes his tackling numbers seem impressive.

say yes

forum master baiter
Speculative question. Say this summer Arsenal have 3 big signings lined up:

- A £50m striker (Cavani/Costa)
- A £40m wide-player (Reus)
- A £30m CM (Bender)

However we can only sign two. Who do you go for?

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
A midfielder and a CF all day long, although £30m for Bender doesn't sound like great business at all. A wide player isn't as important as the other 2 positions IMO.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Tbh I'd go with the two attackers given that choice. Think it would relieve alot of pressure in midfield.

Tir Na Nog

DJ_Markstar said:
@ Tir Na Nog

Well it's either that or you've made it up. Which is it?

Well, I appreciate that he doesn't make loads of tackles, however when he does try to make them he seems to execute them pretty spot on.... however as Xabi Alonso once said tackling is not an artform to aspire to perfecting, as it should be a "last resort" in that position anyways. However due to his lack pace people often beat Arteta without him even getting near them to attempt to make a tackle.

outlaw_member

Established Member
DJ_Markstar said:
Seriously though, Mikel can't tackle to any credible standard and anyone who watches football with their eyes open can see that. He's a positional player who relies on intelligence and technical ability rather than any physical presence which is why he's such a poor DM in this league and for this team. It also doesn't help that his previously average physical stature has deteriorated further and further - his legs are gone and he gets outmussled by shellfish.

Arteta's level this season has been quite poor. In his last two seasons though, he was excellent and was one of the best defensive midfielders in the league. His tackling and interception averages per game were as high as the best. To say Arteta cannot tackle is nonsensical. His defensive game has been lacking in regards to tracking runners and fighting 50/50 duels, but tackling is one of the best aspects of his game.

It seems like you have a completely definition of what constitutes a tackler. Tackling is simply stopping an opposition player with the ball. How you do it has absolutely relevance to being an able tackler or not.

truth_hurts

say yes said:
Speculative question. Say this summer Arsenal have 3 big signings lined up:

- A £50m striker (Cavani/Costa)
- A £40m wide-player (Reus)
- A £30m CM (Bender)

However we can only sign two. Who do you go for?

bender and Reus. Between Reus and Walcott we'd have to match winners in the forward line and finally a proper fit for our midfield.

say yes

forum master baiter
Interesting to see everyone's given a completely different response so far.

I'd probably go with Striker/CM but edging towards the Striker/Winger combo for the reason Fabo stated.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Reus is a fantastic player, but I'd rather see a CM/ST come in and play the Ox out wide on the left.

Arsenal Quotes

What is unbelievable is that I am in a position where people reproach me for making a profit. The people who lose money – nobody says a word.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom