• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

The Wish List

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
MutableEarth said:
SiMamu said:
What if we sign a striker who can play as a wide forward?

Who do you have in mind?

Small pool to pick from unless we go left field.
Can only think of talents and 'meh' signings like Lacazette, Drmic and Remy, tbh. Walcott's one of the best wide forwards around. Aubameyang?

Giroud

Established Member
Benzema
Pedro
Schneiderlin
Jung/Coleman
Rakitic/Enzo Perez

Strikers: Benzema, Giroud, Walcott,
Wide players: Walcott, Pedro, Chamberlain, Cazorla, Wilshere, Gnabry
Attacking mids: Özil, Cazorla, Wilshere
Centre mids: Ramsey, Schneiderlin, Rakitic/Enzo Perez, Arteta
Fullbacks: Gibbs, Monreal, Jung/Coleman, Sagna, Jenkinson
Centre backs: Koscielny, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Sagna
Goalkeepers: Szczesny, Fabianski

cannonade

Established Member
Keep it simple:

(Re-sign Sagna or sign Aurier, Fabianski, Vermaalen)

Schneiderlin (solid DM, French, knows the PL, seems like a no brainer)
Greizmann (speed and guile on the left)
Drmic (great potential, available, relatively cheap)

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think we're better suited to buying a wide forward that can also rotate and play in the centre. Unless the plan is to give Walcott a fair amount of games up front than I think we have a promising selection out wide.

Caz19

MutableEarth said:
What do you guys think of Ciro Immobile?

Never seen him play, but surely top scorer in Serie A while playing for a midtable club, at only the age of 24 can't be to bad?

At worst he can be a good backup I think if Giroud leaves and we get a top class CF.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Caz19 said:
MutableEarth said:

Never seen him play, but surely top scorer in Serie A while playing for a midtable club, at only the age of 24 can't be to bad?

At worst he can be a good backup I think if Giroud leaves and we get a top class CF.

He seems like more of a poacher from what I've seen, but a very good finisher. Opposite of what his name suggests also :lol:. I think he should be a considered option as far as strikers go. I think his teammate Cerci is more rounded though.

Just thinking of CFs we could sign and his name popped up.

Someone mentioned Salomon Rondon also at one point, he might be a good shout as far as under-the-radar CFs who could shine in our team goes.

EDIT: Don't sleep on Luis Muriel either. He's had a few injury problems, but he could be getting over them, and he has the ability to make something from nothing with his dribbling and technique. Similar to Suarez in that way, but a slightly different player.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Immobile is quality, reminds me of Agüero in that he can score from pretty much everywhere, can create his own chances as well. I rate Destro similarly highly, probably even better suited to the lone striker role and can also play RW, but his injury problems are bit of a red flag.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
jones said:
Immobile is quality, reminds me of Agüero in that he can score from pretty much everywhere, can create his own chances as well. I rate Destro similarly highly, probably even better suited to the lone striker role and can also play RW, but his injury problems are bit of a red flag.

Ah, forgot about Destro. Good shout! Although, same problem as Muriel really with the injury stuff.

But again, the kind of signing that would be excellent and under the radar somewhat.

Mobb Starr

My wish is for Wenger to spend at least one transfer window without buying players from abroad. There is more than enough quality in the PL to choose from to supplement and strengthen the squad to challenge for the PL title. Brendan Rogers has F'n proved it this season, so please no comebacks as argument done! Man C and Chelsea spent £££'s on foreigners and who is topping the table with players like Sturridge, Sterling, Henderson, Gerrard and Flannagan huh?

My choices would be Marshall from Cardiff if Fabianski leaves. (£5m)

Williams from Swansea if Vermaelen leaves. (£8m)

Stones from Everton if Kos leaves.(£12m)

Coleman from Everton if Sagna leaves.(£15m)

Lallana to provide competition with Podolski and Özil. (He will choose us over Utd cos we can offer CL)(£18m)

Bony from Swansea to provide competition for Giroud. (£15m) (doubt Mour will let us buy Lukaku, Remy is getting on a bit and Benteke is off the table, Wilfrid takes penalties as well as Balo but costs half the price!).

Players like Sanogo and Joel can be sent out on loan to allow us space in the squad.

Who cares if it costs over £70m on six squad players. It is not like we only have to worry about Spuds or Everton next season. Man U will be spending twice that in the summer to take our place in the top four. With or without Moyes. Besides if Kos and Verms leave we can recoup half that outlay easily.

I don't want to risk spending money on players who need a season to adjust. We need ready made, hungry players who want success with Arsenal. Not mercenaries who are looking to bail when the going gets a bit tough.

Some of these might be squad players but the reason why our season went away this season was because of lack of depth not luck with injuries. We need to ensure we finish higher than we did this season and qualify top of our CL group next season. More depth, more experience and more hunger will allow us to do that. Not more risky foreign experiments.

outlaw_member

Established Member
If Cesc becomes available in the summer, and it is a mild possibility, I don't think Wenger could pass it up. In some ways, you can't begrudge Wenger for doing so, even if it will only further his ideal of 30 central playmakers all fapping together in the middle of the pitch.

---------Giroud
----------------------Walcott
Özil-----Fabregas
-------Ramsey-Arteta
Gibbs-Kosc.--Mertes--Jenkinson
--------Szczesny

mo50

Established Member
That is a disaster waiting to happen and I could see that setup being Wenger's dream. We shouldn't go anywhere near Cesc, even though it'd pain me to see him turn up for Man United or any other English club. The emergence of Ramsey and the signing of Özil have killed any lingering dreams I had of Cesc coming back.

ferrarif50hunt

Established Member
Mobb Starr said:

Lallana to provide competition with Podolski and Özil. (He will choose us over Utd because we can offer CL)(£18m)

Bony from Swansea to provide competition for Giroud. (£15m) (doubt Mour will let us buy Lukaku, Remy is getting on a bit and Benteke is off the table, Wilfrid takes penalties as well as Balo but costs half the price!).
I do agree with you on buying more players from the PL, but you have to think about the fee they're going to command in relation to the role they would be playing. The likes of Lallana and Coleman etc would be commanding huge fees.

There is no way they would be sold for £15m and £18m, no chance in hell. Lallana is England's flavour of the year, look at the prices of most English players nowadays, as soon as an English player shows even the slightest bit of talent their club immediately demand £25m+, and we can't be paying that for a squad player, it just isn't realistic.

I personally don't rate Williams at all, I wouldn't trust him to put in good performances when required. If Vermaelen leaves, I'd look at Dejan Lovren from Southampton or failing that, Steven Caulker from Cardiff.

mo50

Established Member
Mobb Starr said:

Lallana to provide competition with Podolski and Özil. (He will choose us over Utd because we can offer CL)(£18m)

Bony from Swansea to provide competition for Giroud.

Mate, those signings would guarantee we'd fight for 4th for another 5 years. Coleman is the only one I'd look at (if we can get him for a reasonable price). I don't necessarily buy into the hype he's been getting but he looks good.

The rest I wouldn't touch. Bony leading the line for us and Stones in our backline is the stuff of nightmares.

eye4goal

Established Member
Ramsey won't get to attack as much with Cesc in the team I feel. If we want to replace Santi I'd look at someone like Koke but its not a priority. It will be hard to turn down Cesc, so hopefully PSG or Monaco come in for him.

musicmonkey

Established Member
Mobb Star there's no chance of Bony going for £15m, Swansea bought him for £12m and wouldn't sell Michu last season for anything less than £20m despite having cost them £2m. I wouldn't expect anything under £20m and that's being very conservative. Drmic is rumoured to be £6m, you could get a starting DM at £20-25m too, not worth it for a backup STR who's of the same type of target man that we're already struggling with.

Whilst the idea is nice about buying Prem players it only really comes off when the situation is right. Liverpool aren't the best example as Flannagan, Henderson, Sterling and Gerrard were all youth products iirc, we're trying to do that ourselves and is easier said than done.

Of the actual transfers Henderson was still grossly overpriced for a player who's role is little more than putting himself about and being energetic. Sturridge is the only really spot on signing they've made but was circumstantial and they did exactly the same abroad with Coutinho. There's also the glaring omissions of the players that completely flopped who were bought from this league like Carroll £30m, Downing £20m, Joe Allen was nearly £17m, Charlie Adam another £8m. They also threw a load of cash at a host of young players like Shelvey, Danny Wilson and a few i can't remember that are probably out the door by now.

I can also point at United who's Premier League signings haven't been turning up this season. None of the British CBs they went for have develop as expected, Fellaini's flopped, Young and Valencia have faded and exposed as the limited players they are, Mata's not found his level like he had at Chelsea.

It's got to be situational imo like Ramsey, Arteta, Chamberlain so on. It's not that i'm against paying over the odds sometimes to get some quality but there's not a starting player you've listed bar Coleman. Only one in this league i'd go big for (that's realistic, not an Aguero) is Lukaku. It can be done just as easily (if not more so and cheaper) with players from abroad.

Williams hasn't quite looked the same this season imo, i wouldn't mind Kaboul on a free or Winston Reid if the price is right otherwise i reckon we could pull a good CB from abroad, i think we've been linked with Subotic and Rami's really come on strong.

Everton would milk a Coleman transfer for everything it's worth, i'd be very surprised after they managed to sell Fellaini for £26m that they'd be willing to part with less than £20m. When's there's Jung and Aurier for a fraction of that i'd rather go there as we could even grab a LB for the same price as Coleman and be far stronger there. I'd take a punt on Stones though.

Lallana for £18m? I'd rather we had a go for Griezmann who'd probably start on the LW and wouldn't cost much more, maybe even less.

I agree on keepers though, there's always one or two available at the right price here and they don't take a season to settle to 6ft 4" monsters challenging in the air like the keepers from abroad do.

I just don't think it makes sense to spend £70m and still have two gaping holes in the side by lacking a WC DM and STR. We need to be adding at the top and have the squad depth filling by those slipping down imo, e.g. buying a WC striker having Giroud as backup, buying a quality winger and having Podolski rotate, having a WC DM and Flamteta as backup etc...

These backup players aren't going to take us anywhere serious, we've come up short against the likes of Chelsea, City, United, Liverpool, Dortmund, Bayern because we haven't had enough in the starting side.

I'd be for trying to get more English players through the academy though and would start by tying Aneke's contract up and giving him a shot in the cups. I hold good hope for Akpom and Crowley.

Imo we should be sniffing around Madrid, they seem to be in a chop and change period and i think we could nick ourselves Di Maria or Benzema if we're sharp.
-Lars Bender is perfect for DM, i'd pay big for him.
-Schneiderlin would offer a lot if we can get him for a good price since he'd slot in at backup though i think we'd need to drop one of Flamteta.
-I'd kill for Pedro, think we could do so much with him.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
No way is Özil being shifted out to the wing to accommodate Fabregas, it's next to Ramsey or nothing. I don't remember many on here thinking Arteta would be playing the type of role he has for us and there's no reason why Cesc couldn't.

spartandre217

Established Member
MutableEarth said:
Caz19 said:
MutableEarth said:

He seems like more of a poacher from what I've seen, but a very good finisher. Opposite of what his name suggests also :lol:. I think he should be a considered option as far as strikers go. I think his teammate Cerci is more rounded though.

Just thinking of CFs we could sign and his name popped up.

Someone mentioned Salomon Rondon also at one point, he might be a good shout as far as under-the-radar CFs who could shine in our team goes.

EDIT: Don't sleep on Luis Muriel either. He's had a few injury problems, but he could be getting over them, and he has the ability to make something from nothing with his dribbling and technique. Similar to Suarez in that way, but a slightly different player.

I bigged up Muriel last year and the year before. He could be QUALITY.

E

Enoch

Mobb Starr said:

Bony from Swansea to provide competition for Giroud.

Snap out of it mate! Those years are over, we're in 2014 and can financially afford world class players now 8))

Arsenal Quotes

I started clapping myself... until I realised that I was Sunderland's manager.

Peter Reid after Bergkamp's goal against Sunderland.
Top Bottom