• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Shouldn't Wenger change the system to 4-4-2 Off. !?

Canuck

Established Member
Goals for are not the problem, it's goals against right now. It's not a huge problem, but it's an area for improvement none the less. No team is perfect, but we are Damn Close! ;D

burnsjed

Established Member
The problem with that triangle is when youare chasing a game, and the opposition are trying to protect what they have, they do not tend to attack you as much therfore less defensive minded players work, but trying to play a whole game like that is another matter, again just my humble opinion

Jinn

Established Member
Though with our more attacking midfield, or should I say less players adaptable to shielding the defence, (with or without Campbell) we are going to concede more goals then when we played with 2 defensive minded midfielders.

Hrmm that's a little too simplistic. Gilberto is not strictly defensive, Edu's not strictly offensive. They have both a little of each.

But you're right. Playing Gilberto seems to shield the defence more - he closes down passing options for the opposition.

burnsjed

Established Member
More like the 98 midfield, but still Petit was far better at that then Gilberto ever will be.
Petit certainly enjoyed getting stuck in and breaking up teh oppositions attacks, just before launching a 40 yard pass to Marc or Anelka before they belted it past the keeper, it's all flooding back now! :p

Jinn

Established Member
Petit was magnificent. He seemed to be everywhere - much like Paddy at the moment, perhaps with a little more finesse.

burnsjed

Established Member
They were certainly a great partnership, and really complemented one another, shame it got broke up prematurely

Feanor

Established Member
Between the lot of you, how many championships have you won? How many of you knew who Fabregas was last year? Maybe Wenger know what the hell he's doing and we should all shut the F up and let him manage the club! If you want to manage Arsenal better, go apply for the job after he retires (not anytime soon) or buy a copy Championship Manager.

Just my opinion. :mrgreen:

burnsjed

Established Member
zahinsa said:
Between the lot of you, how many championships have you won? How many of you knew who Fabregas was last year? Maybe Wenger know what the hell he's doing and we should all shut the F up and let him manage the club! If you want to manage Arsenal better, go apply for the job after he retires (not anytime soon) or buy a copy Championship Manager.

Have we had a bad day today?

Feanor

Established Member
burnsjed said:
zahinsa said:

Have we had a bad day today?
I don't know what you're talking about :lol:

more like a bad week!

turtle

zahinsa said:

Probably because the new Championship Manager or Football Manager isn't out yet, so he want to try out the new tactic here. :wink:

Canuck

Established Member
Ah yes, E. Petit in his Arsenal glory days. He reminds me alot of E.Davids
Same type physically, same hard working, same quick passing. Not afraid to get stuck in and break up play in the midfield. He never had the same success at Chelsea though, wonder why? :)

Loylz

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Canuck said:
Ah yes, E. Petit in his Arsenal glory days. He reminds me alot of E.Davids
Same type physically, same hard working, same quick passing. Not afraid to get stuck in and break up play in the midfield. He never had the same success at Chelsea though, wonder why? :)
He was getting on in his days at Chelsea.

jeromelee

I don't think changing the formation makes any difference. Although on paper Arsenal plays 4-4-2, in reality we don't. Everyone's mobile all the time. Freddie and Pires sometimes on opposite ends or in the middle, upfront (good example would be our 3rd goal against the canaries). Reyes and Henry back in the box etc etc.

Arsenal's style is being dynamic. Attack as a team and defend as a team. I don't think the players are retricted to their positions alone. You see players popping up in strange positions every now and then.

A

Anonymous

-----------------David--------------------

Tony---Upson---Keown----Dixon/Winterburn

Petit/Parlour---Vieira/Platt-----Overmars

-----------------Bergy/Ian------------------

--------Ian/Bergy-----Bergy/Wreh--------
:!: :!: :!:
dont think so mate. More like we played 442, wright or wreh upfront with bergy. Petit never played right mid, platt played rarely. Parlour was right mid, petit and vieira centre mid, overmars left mid.
dixon wasnt a left back, dixon was right back. both winterburn and dixon played at the same time, not as you suggested, change with each other :roll: Bould and adams were our centre backs first choice. Dont recall adams ever playing right back :eek:ops: :roll:
that team done the double, but the team in 2002 did a better double and that was with a flat 442. No wait, 1998 was a flat 442 as well so i dont understand this topic!

lewdikris

Established Member
Isn't it pretty obvious that Wenger would throw on a third striker when we're chasing a game. It's not necessarily a tactic, more a sign of desparation.

Soler

Established Member
zahinsa said:
Between the lot of you, how many championships have you won?

Oh, three with Ajax, one with Barcelona and one with Hearts ...

How many of you knew who Fabregas was last year?

We signed him in 2003 and I then found out who he was, so ... yeah, i knew him.

If you want to manage Arsenal better, go apply for the job after he retires (not anytime soon) or buy a copy Championship Manager.

I can never do anything right as Arsenal on CM ..

Arsenal Quotes

Play for the name on the front of the shirt and they’ll remember the name on the back.

Tony Adams
Top Bottom