• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Life after Wenger | Ornstein: Arsenal set to appoint Unai Emery

Do you think Emery will get the club back on an upwards trajectory?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keplaz

I'd like Simeone, the perfect antidote to our current malaise. Whether he's prepared to really learn English and make London his home is another matter. We're a broken club, we need someone to fix us. That requires commitment and patience, not just a short fix.

Obviously I'd take Simeone or Allegri all day long, don't get me wrong, I just have doubts over whether they're prepared to commit themselves to the task of overhauling our sh*tshow of a squad and installing a new identity again.

People will laugh but I wouldn't turn my nose up at Sean Dyche. He wouldn't get bored after a season or two, he'd come and make this is home and try to build us up again. He'd make sure we defend well and that every player works hard.

Maybe it's a bit of unrealistic romanticism on my part, but I like to think coaches can still come from smaller clubs and be successful. Dyche has Burnley performing above their financial status, just as Simeone has done for Atletico. If Simeone isn't an option for whatever reason, why not Dyche? The English Simeone.

We need defensive security, I agree but someone like Dyche would change the "Arsenal identity" of quick passing and attractive football too much. But if terribly honest, we lost it a long time ago. We need a manager who will mix grit with beauty, someone like Guardiola but not a money manager.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
We need defensive security, I agree but someone like Dyche would change the "Arsenal identity" of quick passing and attractive football too much. But if terribly honest, we lost it a long time ago. We need a manager who will mix grit with beauty, someone like Guardiola but not a money manager.

I agree he'd take a sledgehammer to our passing game, which you rightly point out disappeared a few years ago. But that passing game isn't necessarily the 'Arsenal identity', it's the 'Wenger identity'. The root problem we currently face is that the club have allowed Wenger to become bigger than the club, have allowed Wenger's values to become Arsenal's values. The consequence of that is that when Wenger declines so do we, which is what we're witnessing now.

I want Arsenal to be a club that insists on its identity no matter who the players or coach are. Clubs like Ajax, Barca, Bayern, Real, Juve & Utd all portray a sense of identity bigger than any one individual. We don't have that. Our board is weak and has vacated the idea of 'The Arsenal' to one individual, Wenger, and now we find ourselves rudderless.

If Arsenal are to have any identity I would want it to be based on values such as respect and class, longevity and trust in youth, and above all self-respect; no Arsenal team should accept defeat. Those values don't necessarily have to be tied up in Wenger's own personal philosophy, someone like Dyche, or Howe for that matter, could also embody them. But if the club insists on only ever hiring coaches who play like Wenger then what the f*ck is The Arsenal? It's just Wenger F. C.

Hiring Dyche wouldn't be an affront to Arsenal's identity, it may in fact be a continuation of it.

Last edited:

Jae

I'd rather play less attractive football and win than be label a "poor man's Liverpool" which is what we are at the minute.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

The rot is so deep seated that it will turn prospective managers away. Every top level manager will want to see a point of leverage that they can utilize and move forward.

Guardiola saw a club with money and desire to be the top dog.

Mourinho saw a club with heritage and of course, money.

Klopp saw a club with talented, young players. Supportive fan base. Owners who dared to sell big AND buy big.

What do we have? Other than wages, why would any self respecting young manage join Arsenal? Say, vs Napoli, Dortmund, Milan, Monaco, Sevilla? That's the level we are at, and we aren't even looking attractive amongst that bunch.

Because of these, I can see us taking a punt on an ex player. Which is another recipe for disaster.

Lol what talented young players did Klopp inherit? Coutinho aside they're all ones he's bought.

And we're more of an attractive prospect than all of those teams you listed. Top 6 in the PL and the big 3 get the pick of the managers.

Also we've a record of not making hasty firings and paying huge wages. Rather that than whatever poverty offer you'd get in Serie A.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
The 'Arsenal Identity' right now is limp defending and overly cautious passing. We haven't played consistently attractive football in years.

I'm all for a rejig for the right man. I wouldn't choose Dyche because we've seen too many one hit wonders at lower PL clubs. I need to see more experience at a higher level from the next Arsenal manager.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Appointing Henry, legend that he is, will be an unmitigated disaster of gargantuan proportions.

It would parallel Newcastle in 2009, they brought in Shearer, so out of his depth that it was laughable, who proceeded to relegate them.

Now I'm not saying we'll be relegated, but the position we're currently occupying suggests this board of eunuchs have settled for abject mediocrity as the credo this club will follow for the forseeable future.

An amicable parting of ways is crucial this summer then set up a joint committee of ex players, preferably Vieira, Bergkamp, Keown, Parlour, Jens & whoever else can contribute to settling this aimless club before the massive rebuilding commences.

GDeep™

League is very weak
An amicable parting of ways is crucial this summer then set up a joint committee of ex players, preferably Vieira, Bergkamp, Keown, Parlour, Jens & whoever else can contribute to settling this aimless club before the massive rebuilding commences.

You just hire a top manager and he sorts it all out himself. This committee thing never works anyway, great players don’t always have great ideas.

GDeep™

League is very weak
This club is in deep trouble, but that’s because of what’s happening above the manager.

No passion, ambition or killer instinct from the owners - which has lead them to retaining Wenger, which in turn has lead to stagnation on the field.

All from the up - down, said it for two years. The pattern suggests this will continue with us hiring a poor manager.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
You just hire a top manager and he sorts it all out himself. This committee thing never works anyway, great players don’t always have great ideas.

What's with the need for committees anyway? It's Stan's words and that's that.

Unless Viera and Bergkamp have accounting degrees, think he could care less.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
If club is thinking about Henry as assistant manager, that's ok. If club is thinking about him as manager, it's beyond stupidity.

Both things are beyond stupidity.

Although I would love to see him fail and get destroyed in media. He's too comfortable in that pundit chair chatting **** despite nobody understanding 90% of the things he says.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Why do people drool over the idea of Arteta but Henry is laughed at?

Probably because Arteta is working daily with Pep and Henry puts the cones out for Martinez a few times a year.

Personally I don’t want either of them getting it.

ClubLevel

Would love Simone personally. For one he would make us difficult to beat so no more hammering's from teams in the mid-bottom side of the table. He would also add work ethic to our team which we have missed for a good decade or so. Most importantly I think he would make us hated again, at the moment we are a laughing stock, at the very least he will install some fight and passion into the side.

He is good with young players and would probably fancy the challenge and all with more money to spend than A.Madrid.

He wins a lot of games by the odd scoreline but thats what Arsenal used to be about, that being said A.Madrid at times play good football.

Would be over the moon to get him, for one he would gut out 80% of the lazy squad. He might even bring our Arsenal back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

This is a big moment of happiness...we waited a long time for this and the happiness is linked sometimes with the suffering, and the time that you have to wait....this was more important than all the other (trophies) we have twice won the double, but were not under pressure then like we were today.

Arsène Wenger, on winning the 2014 FA Cup

Latest posts

Top Bottom