• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
They were never long runs of bad form, otherwise we wouldn’t have been to top 4 every year for 20 years. like everybody else your comparing them to the invincibles

It was exactly the form of a team over performing for it’s spend. Between 2004 and 2013 we spent less than Stoke.

I mean long in relative terms, like when we would go like 5 or 6 games with poor results. But I think regardless of squad cost injuries were always Arsène's biggest burden, Emery having no fullbacks for a while now reminds me of all those seasons Arsène wouldn't even have a back line due to injuries.

But I do think it was practically impossible to compete with City and Chelsea when they were spending 100s of millions every season on the best players in Europe. Man United would also outspend us but they weren't ridiculous like the oil clubs.

Maybe we would have been able to compete if we sold our players for a crazy prices, that's pretty much what got Liverpool to where they are. They won't be dropping 100 million every summer like City.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Nah. I think if you took a survey of Arsenal fans globally, taking each players career in its entirety, Ozils has been a disappointment (this has been posted in his thread by different individuals multiple times) Lacas has been a relative success so far. This is obviously subject to change over time. No doubt there have been some world class performances, but we expected more from the wee man Özil. Laca was ££ but his average contributions mark him as a success.

I’ve never seen an ex-Arsenal pro criticise Laca. About 5 or 6 have slated Özil, spread over the years, from subtle criticism all the way up to Keown totally losing his sh*t on TV that time. My man Keown went too far maybe but his frothing rage was born out of love for our club.

Back to Emery- he is in Pepes hands now (and to a slightly lesser extent Xhaka if he keeps playing him)

The masses are stupid and sheep though why would I take their opinions as anything substantial? Özil is scapegoated way more than Lacazette.

It's just a fact that Özil has had a better career here than Lacazette.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Comparing Özil and Lacazette is ridiculous. Özil's been hugely influential for several years even if it's diminished somewhat recently. Lacazette as a striker has had a fairly mediocre return considering his price-tag, that's before we even get into his away goals record. Then you can look at impact of the two players. In 11/12 and 12/13 seasons we struggled just about reaching top 4 on the final day of both season. Özil comes in and in the 13/14 season we're top for 3 months that season, win the FA Cup, finish 3rd and win the FA Cup again and then finish 2nd the season later and another FA Cup the season after that. We sign Lacazette and we're worse that next season, then Auba comes in and as a far far greater impact than Lacazette and these past few weeks we've no missed Lacazette one bit.

It's funny how Lacazette a £50 million+ striker is being praised for fairly average goal return, while someone like Giroud who cost £12 million and wasn't even brought even to be the guaranteed first choice striker had similar goal returns but was constantly labelled as a donkey. Surely there should be more expectations on Lacazette and we should be expected more than just doing what the striker who supposedly held us back for years managed. 1 away PL goal last season against non-relegated sides isn't good enough for a £50 million striker, that's the bottom line. Same as Giroud's 19 match barren run wasn't good enough. Why are the standards so different?

But back to Özil and Laca, not even comparable in terms of what they've given while here. I don't care how much sauce Lacazette has, I want substance. And no the odd goal in a defeat vs a big side does nothing for me either. We had about 6/7 "big games" at the back end of last season and he didn't do a thing, I don't care about the opposition those were games when we were fighting for top 4 and the pressure was really on and he didn't deliver or even come close to it. Yet you see people talking about him being a big game player. I think that Liverpool goal from last season has skewed a lot of peoples views on him. Fantastic goal no doubt. Let's no forget in that game vs Sp**s were everyone was going in on Auba, Laca also missed a sitter in that game and no one said a thing.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Comparing Özil and Lacazette is ridiculous. Özil's been hugely influential for several years even if it's diminished somewhat recently. Lacazette as a striker has had a fairly mediocre return considering his price-tag, that's before we even get into his away goals record. Then you can look at impact of the two players. In 11/12 and 12/13 seasons we struggled just about reaching top 4 on the final day of both season. Özil comes in and in the 13/14 season we're top for 3 months that season, win the FA Cup, finish 3rd and win the FA Cup again and then finish 2nd the season later and another FA Cup the season after that. We sign Lacazette and we're worse that next season, then Auba comes in and as a far far greater impact than Lacazette and these past few weeks we've no missed Lacazette one bit.

It's funny how Lacazette a £50 million+ striker is being praised for fairly average goal return, while someone like Giroud who cost £12 million and wasn't even brought even to be the guaranteed first choice striker had similar goal returns but was constantly labelled as a donkey. Surely there should be more expectations on Lacazette and we should be expected more than just doing what the striker who supposedly held us back for years managed. 1 away PL goal last season against non-relegated sides isn't good enough for a £50 million striker, that's the bottom line. Same as Giroud's 19 match barren run wasn't good enough. Why are the standards so different?

But back to Özil and Laca, not even comparable in terms of what they've given while here. I don't care how much sauce Lacazette has, I want substance. And no the odd goal in a defeat vs a big side does nothing for me either. We had about 6/7 "big games" at the back end of last season and he didn't do a thing, I don't care about the opposition those were games when we were fighting for top 4 and the pressure was really on and he didn't deliver or even come close to it. Yet you see people talking about him being a big game player. I think that Liverpool goal from last season has skewed a lot of peoples views on him. Fantastic goal no doubt. Let's no forget in that game vs Sp**s were everyone was going in on Auba, Laca also missed a sitter in that game and no one said a thing.
great post. Laca is one of my favorite player in the team, though. He's been really unlucky with injuries.

Nah. I think if you took a survey of Arsenal fans globally, taking each players career in its entirety, Ozils has been a disappointment (this has been posted in his thread by different individuals multiple times) Lacas has been a relative success so far. This is obviously subject to change over time. No doubt there have been some world class performances, but we expected more from the wee man Özil. Laca was ££ but his average contributions mark him as a success.

I’ve never seen an ex-Arsenal pro criticise Laca. About 5 or 6 have slated Özil, spread over the years, from subtle criticism all the way up to Keown totally losing his sh*t on TV that time. My man Keown went too far maybe but his frothing rage was born out of love for our club.

Back to Emery- he is in Pepes hands now (and to a slightly lesser extent Xhaka if he keeps playing him)
I don't know how to say this nicely, but you should consider deleting this post.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Our Away record for the past 2 years has been atrocious and many point fingers at the defence but look at how we struggle to score goals. Lacazette has been a big contributor to our away dismal away form, he has 4 away goals in the premier league. 4!!! We don’t really score many counter attacking goals with Lacazette up front

At least with Özil at his best season we were quite formidable away from home.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Match-days for me:

• Wait for the line-up
  • Scream wordlessly <-- stopped this. Nowadays, I shake my head
  • Go to sleep
  • Catch up on the results
this is me, more or less - except I usually add a 'I knew it' at stage 2

I also record the half hour highlights programme on Sky and most often delete it unwatched

GoonerJay24

The majority of those though were players acquired at a very early age and brought on by the club. If Wenger had had Abramovic’s or SAFs money he’d have been swapping out players much faster. Like other fans you never understood that Wenger was competing with Europe’s top teams with half their spend for almost 10 years.

Remind yourself

Lol Chelsea

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
What ... worse than when David Smith called Patrick Viera "a passenger"? Or worse than when Uncle Mike said RVP would never leave Arsenal because "his wife wouldn't let him" :rofl:

Get a grip man!!
David Smith is the worst poster in the history of AM. Even worse than, Da G. Proper fruitcake.

Jae

Let's have it right, you can't compare how much Özil cost in 2013 to what we paid for Laca in 2017. For a start, Özil was signed for 40m before the arse dropped out of the transfer market and the fees became rediculous.

Absolutely pointless comparing the two of them anyway, just turned in to a pissing contest as usual.

People putting Laca in every thread trying to further their "but but he is good enough" agenda. Can't wait until this loser is sold so we can start talking real players.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Jesus. In talking about how Emery’s future was tied to our record signing Pepe our I was comparing all of our previous record signings Auba, Laca, Özil and Mustafi

But I made the foolish mistake of mentioning the holy one Özil - and the usual hysteria has ensued and it has now morphed into a Laca vs Özil debate, which was not the original intention or conversation.

Let’s get back to Emery. I will not dare to speak of the holy deity again - lets leave the criticisms of him to his fellow pros.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Our Away record for the past 2 years has been atrocious and many point fingers at the defence but look at how we struggle to score goals. Lacazette has been a big contributor to our away dismal away form, he has 4 away goals in the premier league. 4!!! We don’t really score many counter attacking goals with Lacazette up front

At least with Özil at his best season we were quite formidable away from home.

I can repeat, Lacazette in his latest season in EPL had a point per 119 minutes. Auba had a point per 119 minutes (when you take penalty goals out, Laca is good penalty taker too).

Lacazette had something like point per 138 minutes away from home. This is totally normal for a player, especially how Arsenal as a team has performed in away games. And a striker is not responsible how the whole team performs away from home.

Laca along with Salah scored most game-winning goals in EPL last season, 9 out of 13.

People talking bullshit about Laca even on Emery thread. :)

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

What are you wittering about? Ramsey is a tiny part of the argument I’ve made. Wenger came under great criticism for sticking with players like Ramsey and yet Juventus have invested heavily in him, is my point. €3.7 m in registration costs, an estimated €9m to his agent and €90 million to Ramsey over 4 years. That’s not cheap, showing they’re prepared to take a risk with him. Wenger is far from the only manager to give injured players a chance to get back to consistency.

And Wenger only got the fishing line he deserved. Sp**s and Liverpool who spent way more than Arsenal over the 22 years Wenger was in charge got nowhere near his top 4 consistency or his silverware.

Let’s see how Unai does this year.

Player like Ramsey would cost over 50 million in current market I think. Why did you say they bought him? Maybe it was not your base but it is incorrect.

So you can see how it was a bargain for Juventus. They took the risk and he is injured even currently. It was great decision to not give him huge contract, when he is constantly injured and we have players like Guendouzi & Willock coming through.

The point was what RacingPhoton already said. Too many injury-prone players trusted in one team. That is on Wenger, he could have sold one by one gradually.

I'm not saying Wenger performed badly, he was very good and I liked him. Just that this is one fault in his management style. Many other teams rather get rid and I would think especially if they have many of those.

There were many reasons why fans turned on him later. His last season's record 1-3-6, goals 10-20 against top 6 was one of them, cannot compete with that record.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
There were many reasons why fans turned on him later. His last season's record 1-3-6, goals 10-20 against top 6 was one of them, cannot compete with that record.
Rubbish. The fans starting turning on him from 2010 when he was spending like Stoke and performing top 4. And his last two seasons records were because of the fans.

Only a fool thinks you can get the best out of a club by constantly critising their performance, in large numbers, blatantly and aggressively in public.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Rubbish. The fans starting turning on him from 2010 when he was spending like Stoke and performing top 4. And his last two seasons records were because of the fans.

Only a fool thinks you can get the best out of a club by constantly critising their performance, in large numbers, blatantly and aggressively in public.

Duuuude, cmon, let it go. Wenger has moved on, so should you brother :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I want a fan to wake up in the morning and say, “Arsenal are playing today, I’m going to have a good time.” That guy starts his day off by thinking that something good is going to happen to him. And to do that, big clubs like Arsenal have to have the ambition to play spectacularly. Of shared happiness.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom