• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

It being a 3 year deal makes it interesting, basically if he gets into the CL he's probably guaranteed another year. I think the option to cut the deal short by a year would only come into effect if he doesn't get us top 4/CL. I don't the board will be as concerned about us not playing like Cruyff's Netherlands as some of the fans are tbh. Results will be the most important thing for Kroenke, Raul and co.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
It being a 3 year deal makes it interesting, basically if he gets into the CL he's probably guaranteed another year. I think the option to cut the deal short by a year would only come into effect if he doesn't get us top 4/CL. I don't the board will be as concerned about us not playing like Cruyff's Netherlands as some of the fans are tbh. Results will be the most important thing for Kroenke, Raul and co.
They can still sack him when they want. From what's being said, it looks like results are all that matter in that time, but I still think if we limp home a well-beaten 4th, they'll analyse the season and probably let him go.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Goes both ways, tbf. And whats wrong with being inbred, love me some first cousin
At-Least-You-Tried-Funny-Polar-Bear-Meme.jpg

pacstud

I'd say of all those who want Emery sacked right now,which is the vast majority of those who want him gone, one or both of those two reasons that you highlight will be popular--particularly the second one. I'd say the most popular reasons are in this order:

1. Doesn't make us play like Brazil circa 1974
2. The Özil situation
3. Wenger-related, stuck-in-the-past, bedwetting and erectile dysfunction with some pillow biting.
What if my reason is the number of shots faced?

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Would people want football like we play right now and win or good entertaining football and not win ?

People probably would say win but in time maybe not?

Its **** to watch though tbh, not sure i could watch our current play for years in a row

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I'd say of all those who want Emery sacked right now,which is the vast majority of those who want him gone, one or both of those two reasons that you highlight will be popular--particularly the second one. I'd say the most popular reasons are in this order:

2. The Özil situation
3. Wenger-related, stuck-in-the-past, bedwetting and erectile dysfunction with some pillow biting.

What about if it's because of how we collapsed last season and completely bottled top 4 then got humiliated in the EL final? And now this season we're playing the same conceding a ridiculous amount of shots and playing poor away from home, it's inevitable that it will unravel again.

But obviously I wouldn't expect anything else from Emery's number 1 fan.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
Would people want football like we play right now and win or good entertaining football and not win ?

People probably would say win but in time maybe not?

Its **** to watch though tbh, not sure i could watch our current play for years in a row

I dont know about others but having had Wenger as our manager and having played the best football in the league for 20 odd years I'm not so fussed about seeing beautiful football like so many seem to be. I have had enough of pretty but ineffective football. Especially the last 10 years, when we still played scintillating football but were in no contention for the league and major prizes apart from a few FA cups. I would take effective even if not aesthetically pleasing football any day of the week.

I wouldn't take the football we are currently playing though. Not because it is boring but because it is very ineffective. It cedes too much control to the opponents. If/when we manage to gain more control, restrict the opposition from even reaching our defenders, then even if going forward we stay the same, that would be good enough for me. I would take effective, winning football, to me there is some beauty to be derived from that alone. At the moment we are getting the worst of both worlds though.

One of my favourite Arsenal games in recent years is the one we beat Man city 0-2 in 2015. I started supporting Arsenal around 1999 so this is the first game I can really remember us being in a very defensive mode all game. First time I saw 10 of our players camped deep inside our half. We were compact and looked defensively secure. Maybe I have been spoilt by Wengerball but by this time I had enough of watching us play intricate passing triangles, one-twos etc, then see us get sucker punched time after time. It was refreshing to witness the other side. Ever since that day I half yearn for that kind of setup. I would take playing like that in every single game this season.

Nemetoss

What's the point of watching garbage football? Entertainment is the only real tangible thing I get from watching football. I don't get money to watch this **** nor do I personally win any trophies. If I want to watch a bunch of overpaid grown men trying to kick a ball into each others nets, I want it to be entertaining. What's the point of it all if the beautiful game isn't beautiful.

Nemetoss

Emerys style is the best style.

How trash do you have to be to work day and night to set up the team as defensively as possible, get a new defense, play 3 DM's, play cowardly football which leaves the attack completely abandoned while loosing every bit of luster of our old game, and STILL fail miserably in every single defensive metric compared to our, apparently defensively clueless, previous manager. I don't honestly see the point of the man.

boyinneedofhumor

What if... a poster agrees with Blaze and Poppa above, but is still hesitant (for now)?

Emery's 1st season to me, is to provide some stability and keep things from crumbling. Exceeding that is a bonus to me.
When he first stepped in, I thought to myself, he's gotta look up (boardroom) and down (players).

There's quite a bit of work shifting players in and out, plus the appointment of Edu and recently Ljungberg. And Pires.
Allowing time for things to smoothen out is why I'm honing my patience (even though one may correctly point out that isn't his role).

If things dramatically collapse midway this season, then it's easier to say, yes.
But for now, I'm hoping things will appear brighter for the team (while delighting in the development of Guendouzi, Chambers, Martinelli, Saka)

I kinda feel aggrieved if I'm labelled as a Emery fan for not adopting the stance now, that he has to go.
Because I'm apprehensive about hiring and firing hastily as part of the club culture.
At this moment, I'd say his time is not yet up (at least till end of the season).

[Disclaimer: Above sentiment may not apply at certain timelines, such as right after a matchday]

El Granit-Coq

Established Member

2. The Özil situation
It sure has nothing to do with on field performance. The man surely is doing great but the Wozil 1974 brigade are making up poor metrics out of thin air.

We are that much better under Emery compared to the dinasaur we had.

Steps

The thing is, it shouldn't be a big ask to play good football and also have some success. In fact, it should be considered minimum expectations at Arsenal.
Amazing how low the standards of some have dropped. Makes me sick to see Top 4 as the Holy Grail for some here. Top 4 should be a given. We are Arsenal Football Club.

Yes, we have had a few poor years, but we are still AFC. Have some self respect.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade

2. The Özil situation
Reason Number 1:

He makes us play like a clueless team hoping to win by the grace of Aubemayang, the miraculous goal scorer.

I think most people tired of Emery is just sick of watching us defend 60-75 min against Watford and Villa. If you want to be sarcastic you could use one more neuron and maybe you could get it.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
Amazing how low the standards of some have dropped. Makes me sick to see Top 4 as the Holy Grail for some here. Top 4 should be a given. We are Arsenal Football Club.

Yes, we have had a few poor years, but we are still AFC. Have some self respect.
Looks like top4 trophy was a real thing after all.
Wanting top4 even if your team play the most boring football in 2 decades, that’s really sad. But the saddest thing is playing this way is not even certain we will get top4.

Every game is a big question of “Are we going to drop points against them?

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
So Ornstein is reporting that Emery has a three year contract and not a break option after two years. Arsenal fans on Twitter aren't happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

The club changed so much, I changed with it and football has changed with us... But one thing never changes: the 90 minutes still belong to the player, 90 minutes during which he is king.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom