• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Raul Sanllehi has left Arsenal

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Do you think the squad now is better than when Emery took over?

I think it's very similar, but again the difference is the players we spent big money on are adapting to the league, and also the circumstances this year have been very very different for all of them. For example Chelsea couldn't even make a transfer, but what they had is a coach from the start they believed in and one way of playing, we've had 3.

I think if Arteta had taken over at the start and had a full pre-season we'd be in a much stronger position within the league. In and around top 4 for sure.

Many many believe Wenger would get this squad top 4.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
They didn't need time to adapt because they went from the premier league to the ermm... Premier league :lol:

Pepe has played 1900 mins in the league this season. Just over half a season worth of minutes.

I am not passing judgement until next season. Just like with Di Maria, you have to give these things time and if they dont work then they dont work, some leagues aren't made for some players. But for people like @EinmalImmerEwig to say he has no talent is embarrassing tbh.

"I genuinely believe had Arsenal signed, Zaha, Partey and Maguire under Unai Emery he'd of still had the exact same fate. You always say transfers take a year to adapt, let's see how they adapt under Mikel next year and then make solid judgements?"

This was the quote I was responding to keep up. He stated transfer take a year to adapt. Not foreign transfers. He also quoted 2 premier league players in his examples. Had them PL players hit the ground running who knows.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
"I genuinely believe had Arsenal signed, Zaha, Partey and Maguire under Unai Emery he'd of still had the exact same fate. You always say transfers take a year to adapt, let's see how they adapt under Mikel next year and then make solid judgements?"

This was the quote I was responding to keep up. He stated transfer take a year to adapt. Not foreign transfers. He also quoted 2 premier league players in his examples. Had them PL players hit the ground running who knows.

Zaha has less end product than Pepe. Just a more powerful runner.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
I think it's very similar, but again the difference is the players we spent big money on are adapting to the league, and also the circumstances this year have been very very different for all of them. For example Chelsea couldn't even make a transfer, but what they had is a coach from the start they believed in and one way of playing, we've had 3.

I think if Arteta had taken over at the start and had a full pre-season we'd be in a much stronger position within the league. In and around top 4 for sure.

Many many believe Wenger would get this squad top 4.

fair enough, so would you say it's a failure on Arteta's part if he fails to get 70+ points(or top 4 if it's less than 70) next season?(assuming we don't get much worse during summer window of course)

sorry for all the questions lol, just trying to understand where the other side is coming from before making my point.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Sorry, what I meant is transfers from other leagues usually take a year to adapt, we've seen it so many times so let's not write off our summer yet.

Buying from the league usually doesn't require any adaption but as you say sometimes players go down a level, like Torres.

But the main point I was getting at, is even had we bought from within the league in Zaha and Maguire, two players many wanted and wouldn't need to adapt, Unai Emery would still had the same fate because he lost the players trust after the end of his first season and his general communication to convey his ideas were very poor.

pikey2000

He's not young, he's not raw, he has no talent... add to that he cost seventy two million pounds.
Just for that the person who organised the deal should lose their job.
To top it off he now has no resale value.
Capt. of the Titanic ineptitude levels.

There has never been a worse transfer in the history of football.

We will just have to disagree, the guy clearly has talent to me, scored some great goals, free kicks, the odd glimpse of talent taking people on, the odd bit of skill, what he needs is consistency and to impose himself on the game more often - with a pre-season, a run of games in a settled lineup and formation under the same manger I could see him kicking on next season.

This season has been a crazy 1st season, 3 different managers, and since the return he has has been in and out of the side, can't remember the last time he had 4 or 5 games in a row alongside the same right back and CF, I'm not sure how you are supposed to build consistency like that.

The jury is still out, next season will tell a lot but he has time for me.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
fair enough, so would you say it's a failure on Arteta's part if he fails to get 70+ points(or top 4 if it's less than 70) next season?(assuming we don't get much worse during summer window of course)

sorry for all the questions lol, just trying to understand where the other side is coming from before making my point.

It depends on the transfer window for me, if we spend £120-150M on players then I expect Arteta to be getting top 4.

OnlyOne

🎙️ Future Journalist
Trusted ⭐

Depends on the window ofc, but we shouldn't be anywhere near where we are now and a few more additions that people think we may get we should have top 4.

As Luiz, Pepe, Tierney and possibly Ceballos will all be main players next season, add a few additions to that then not getting top 4 will be a failure and I'd admit last summer was a failure also.

On a side note one thing I was seriously wrong about was Emery, I backed him loads but performances under him vs Arteta are night and day, in terms of how we won games, quite a few big wins under Emery many questioned, under Arteta I don't feel that way. I think he's given us a great base to build from and nearly the whole fan base is on his side.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
I would say with Liverpool specifically they have 6 players who if you switched out for their depth it makes a significant difference. They can hold it together if one is out but if you have multiple out its a problem. They probably would have struggled through this period after lockdown if they hadn't won the title so early on.

With the whole non questionable players, they have to be players who are absolutely consistent no matter what, their form doesn't flip flop massively etc. For me in our squad those players are Tierney, Leno when fit, Auba and at the moment Ceballos. So we have four.

In comparison Alisson, VVD, Robbo, Trent, Wijnaldum, Fabinho, Henderson, Salah, Mane, Firmino and Milner rarely ever have a poor game and if they do its once in a blue moon.

Also, Liverpool's conditioning coaching must be amazing. They only ever seem to lose rotation options with injury for more than a game or two. We've not had the opportunity to find out what our first choice defense is for about 4 years because one or two potential starters are always injured.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Also, Liverpool's conditioning coaching must be amazing. They only ever seem to lose rotation options with injury for more than a game or two. We've not had the opportunity to find out what our first choice defense is for about 4 years because one or two potential starters are always injured.

So true. Literally can't remember the last time we knew our best starting 11 and could stick with it.

Too many players who are inconsistent.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Anyone who thinks spunking £160m on Wilf Zaha and Harry the Head would have been better business than what we did last summer needs their head examined.

Maguire is a steadier and more physically dominant Luiz without the passing ability, and has been poor in big games for them. Zaha is an incredibly exciting player and drives play wonderfully for Palace, and would achieve more with us than them, but is two years older and Palace wanted a larger fee and mostly up front, so may not have been economically viable anyway.

Its also worth noting for all Pepe's flop first season and him flattering to deceive all too often, with 2 games left his all comps goals and assists contribution is 3 less than Zaha's career best season in 600 less minutes than Zaha. Of course his stats are helped by those 2 Free-kicks in the Europa League, but the only game this season where he has had a goal contribution that hasn't been really important in a tight game was against Newcastle at home, and he was the man of the match in that one.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Anyone who thinks spunking £160m on Wilf Zaha and Harry the Head would have been better business than what we did last summer needs their head examined.

Maguire is a steadier and more physically dominant Luiz without the passing ability, and has been poor in big games for them. Zaha is an incredibly exciting player and drives play wonderfully for Palace, and would achieve more with us than them, but is two years older and Palace wanted a larger fee and mostly up front, so may not have been economically viable anyway.

Its also worth noting for all Pepe's flop first season and him flattering to deceive all too often, with 2 games left his all comps goals and assists contribution is 3 less than Zaha's career best season in 600 less minutes than Zaha. Of course his stats are helped by those 2 Free-kicks in the Europa League, but the only game this season where he has had a goal contribution that hasn't been really important in a tight game was against Newcastle at home, and he was the man of the match in that one.
We were anyway spending a lot of money, so why not spend it on something that we needed?

We lost Ramsey/Cazorla and desperately needed a CDM, but we still went and got a winger.

I can agree with you that we did well to avoid Maguire

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I saw this the other day and thought it was quite interesting. I guess if we won in Baku, Emery would have probably sp*nked everything on Maguire, Zaha and Partey.

We’re in a similar position to last season, so I guess we’re going to be have to be “aggressive” in the market once again as Josh Kroenke mentions in the video. We clearly won’t take advantage of the FFP being relaxed despite our rivals doing so.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
We were anyway spending a lot of money, so why not spend it on something that we needed?

We lost Ramsey/Cazorla and desperately needed a CDM, but we still went and got a winger.

I can agree with you that we did well to avoid Maguire

I totally agree with what we needed, but Emery didn't ask for another central midfielder. While they didn't give him the individuals he wanted, they did give him the positions (ish) he wanted.

Ultimately its too early to call the business we did.

Tierney and Martinell look bargains. Pepe looks overpriced. Luiz is about right price wise. Jury's out on Saliba and subsequently Mari. Cedric depends on his wages.
But bar Luiz and Cedric, all are players with significant room to improve.

If the club don't bring in at least 1 line breaking midfielder this summer, then I'll happily slag them off.

GunnerShy

He's not young, he's not raw, he has no talent... add to that he cost seventy two million pounds.
Just for that the person who organised the deal should lose their job.
To top it off he now has no resale value.
Capt. of the Titanic ineptitude levels.

There has never been a worse transfer in the history of football.
Ousmane Dembele was a worse transfer.
Phillipe Coutinho is a worse transfer
Eden Hazard at nearly 29 with one year left on his contract for €100m is a worse transfer.
Kepa is a worse transfer.

So yes there has been worse transfers, but there's probably never been a worse post!

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Yeah, it's their "conditioning"...

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
What about Josh?

"Be... Barely enthused."
Problem is, we do spend a lot of money, but then we either waste it (like on Özil contract), or spend it in the wrong place (Pepe)

I totally agree with what we needed, but Emery didn't ask for another central midfielder. While they didn't give him the individuals he wanted, they did give him the positions (ish) he wanted.

Ultimately its too early to call the business we did.

Tierney and Martinell look bargains. Pepe looks overpriced. Luiz is about right price wise. Jury's out on Saliba and subsequently Mari. Cedric depends on his wages.
But bar Luiz and Cedric, all are players with significant room to improve.

If the club don't bring in at least 1 line breaking midfielder this summer, then I'll happily slag them off.
Yeah, let us see what the window brings. the comments from Arteta seems like he is begging the club to spend.

Arsenal Quotes

It works. I am just waiting until everyone has copied it, then I shall come up with something new.

Herbert Chapman on the famous WM formation
Top Bottom