• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mikel Arteta: Aston La Vista To The Title?

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
This may be a pro Arteta puff piece. I hope it's incorrect for the clubs sake at least.

Don't see why people would make any negative judgement on Arteta for having journalists onside though. It's clever if he has.

Wenger had his acolytes in media, Fergie did too, Jose does. Pep has pretty much a cult of journalists acting on his behalf.

Reading a Brian Clough biography. He essentially groomed a group of journalists to spin everything in his favour in the press / media by giving them certain privileges in terms of access to info from day 1 in his managerial career . This was at Hartlepool in the mid sixties. It massively benefited his career. What Arteta's doing isn't anything new.

Not exactly like a Spanish outlet bigging up Arteta is a shock anyway. I'd love to see all the hit pieces the French media were putting out against Wenger after he'd been here a year :lol:

It's just an excuse for people to have a go at Arteta who already have an axe to grind against him.

Last edited:

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
This all talks about the now but what about the future, this is gross mismanagement of a club, surely there needs to be a new person overseeing the club.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
Even if it's a PR piece this is a positive one for us IMO.

Puts pressure on the board to resolve some internal issues asap and implying Arteta doesn't really want to be involved in too much off-field affairs.

Smart move from trick Mik.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
This may be a pro Arteta puff piece. I hope it's incorrect for the clubs sake at least.

Don't see why people would make any negative judgement on Arteta for having journalists onside though. It's clever if he has.

Wenger had his acolytes in media, Fergie did too, Jose does. Pep has pretty much a cult of journalists acting on his behalf.

Reading a Brian Clough biography. He essentially groomed a group of journalists to spin everything in his favour in the press / media by giving them certain privileges in terms of access to info from day 1 in his managerial career . This was at Hartlepool in the mid sixties. It massively benefited his career. What Arteta's doing isn't anything new.

Not exactly like a Spanish outlet bigging up Arteta is a shock anyway. I'd love to see all the hit pieces the French media were putting out against Wenger after he'd been here a year :lol:

It's just an excuse for people to have a go at Arteta who already have an axe to grind against him.

It's bad because it excuses him of any wrong doing and lays it all on the club without mentioning that he is and integral part of it.

Wenger literally had the press against him for a lot of his tenure, "Arsène Who?", the constant war chest pieces that were never really real, you've got to remember he was only the third foreign manager in the league iirc and the first one to actually be successfil. Plus, he's a Frenchman in England.

Jose was hyped, but he had just won a CL title and got his when things started going south every time he got sacked.

Now everytime Xhaka, Mustafi or Luiz pull one of their blunders, there's already an Athletic article ready to be retweeted, it's insane.

I don't mind it being his (Arteta's) club now, but with that comes reponsability and - most importantly - accountability. Him and Edu are calling the shots? Ok, congrats on Gabriel and Mari, but Willian, Cedric and specially Runnarson are also causes for concern.

It's clear we could do with some actual seniority and footballing people like a Campos/Rangnick, because having three rookies at the wheel is just far too dangerous.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

It's bad because it excuses him of any wrong doing and lays it all on the club without mentioning that he is and integral part of it.

Wenger literally had the press against him for a lot of his tenure, "Arsène Who?", the constant war chest pieces that were never really real, you've got to remember he was only the third foreign manager in the league iirc and the first one to actually be successfil. Plus, he's a Frenchman in England.

Jose was hyped, but he had just won a CL title and got his when things started going south every time he got sacked.

Now everytime Xhaka, Mustafi or Luiz pull one of their blunders, there's already an Athletic article ready to be retweeted, it's insane.

I don't mind it being his (Arteta's) club now, but with that comes reponsability and - most importantly - accountability. Him and Edu are calling the shots? Ok, congrats on Gabriel and Mari, but Willian, Cedric and specially Runnarson are also causes for concern.

It's clear we could do with some actual seniority and footballing people like a Campos/Rangnick, because having three rookies at the wheel is just far too dangerous.

If fans are putting too much stock into what The Athletic or whoever are saying, that's on them to be honest.

As a manager you want to create the best circumstances to be successful. Having the press / media onside is a pretty helpful thing to do. It doesn't make Arteta an arch villain or whatever some people want to portray him as though. It makes him a clever guy.

The Wenger stuff when he arrived was barely football related to be fair. It was mid 90's little Englander xenophobia for the most part. A nerdy looking Frenchman coming over telling the English how to play the game they invented, wasn't going to go down well in that time period. Which is kind of shameful to look back on now.

My personal opinion is that any footballer signed under Arteta's tenure should be put on him ultimately. Let's blame him for that bad ones, and give him credit for the good ones.

It's a two way street though as the anti Arteta fans tend to look for reasons not to give him any credit for the good signings and the pro Arteta fans tend to want to absolve him of blame for the poor ones.

I definitely agree with you that we could do with some seniority behind the scenes. Both names you suggested I'd be cool with.

If this article is some Arteta spin isn't that what he's asking for though? Someone to come in and deal with a lot of the behind the scenes stuff so he can concentrate on the on field side.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I don't know what the truth is but I'm certain Gazidis was the worst thing to happen to this club. No proof, but I suspect Stan relinquished some control to Josh who was anti the close relationship Wenger had with Stan and favoured a new model. What an absolute shambles that was. Panic at the Kroenke's and the old man tries to reverse the situation and go back to 2015. It won't work because Wenger and SAF were like no others in the modern era. I knew Wenger kept a lot to himself but my word, we were better for it and would have improved if he'd had some input into our transition.
I just don't trust Arteta either and as @Macho said, we risk alienating a load of players that another manager could develop. I can't back Arteta over any young player he's frozen out. If he has this much authority, he must demand help. I hope his ego will let him.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

People are putting much to much into an off-piece from a website on the intarwebz...

Mikel will probably not go anywhere anytime soon. It is time to calm down.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Arteta is annoying, like Solksjaer. He's barely getting enough results to survive. We should be around 6th with this squad, and on our way up.

If we did not have a manager, we would be doing better.

Wish we had persevered with Freddie. He had a better grasp of our problems.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Arteta is annoying, like Solksjaer. He's barely getting enough results to survive. We should be around 6th with this squad, and on our way up.

If we did not have a manager, we would be doing better.

Wish we had persevered with Freddie. He had a better grasp of our problems.

For everything people have said about Ole, including myself, he's top of the league by 3 points and United consistently look very dangerous going forward.

United were fed up with chopping and changing managers every year and each manager wanting to get their own players in/wasting money year after year. United have spent over a billion pounds since Ferguson left, and now they're sticking with a manager even through the tough times its paying dividence.

The exact same thing will happen with Arteta. The Arteta out brigade who don't have a braincell between them will realise this sooner rather than later. You cannot just continuously chop and change managers.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
For everything people have said about Ole, including myself, he's top of the league by 3 points and United consistently look very dangerous going forward.

United were fed up with chopping and changing managers every year and each manager wanting to get their own players in/wasting money year after year. United have spent over a billion pounds since Ferguson left, and now they're sticking with a manager even through the tough times its paying dividence.

The exact same thing will happen with Arteta. The Arteta out brigade who don't have a braincell between them will realise this sooner rather than later. You cannot just continuously chop and change managers.

Can I get tomorrow's lottery numbers while you're at it?

EDIT:
Following your logic btw, Ferguson was at United for 20+ years and won 13 league titles. Wenger was here for 20 years as well. Shouldn't he have therefore won at least 9 league titles? (I think Ferguson was at United for longer and I can't be bothered to do the math)

David Seaman spent 13 years at the club and won three league titles. I imagine Leno will do the exact same thing then if he stays for 13 years. If he only stays for 4 years does that mean he'll only win one?

Kav

Established Member
Time will either vindicate the Arteta Fans or those who think he’s not good enough.

what can be said is that the result this season have not been good enough and the style of play on The field has been atrocious. However things have finally improved slightly due to the injection of the young players which was clearly not deliberate but welcomed. So in that regard he should be commended for sticking with it them and not rushing to install the dead weight back into the line up.

Credit is due when it is earned. Though I will caution the Arteta fans for making it seem as if he’s doing well because of 3 positive results after 12 bad ones.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Time will either vindicate the Arteta Fans or those who think he’s not good enough.

what can be said is that the result this season have not been good enough and the style of play on The field has been atrocious. However things have finally improved slightly due to the injection of the young players which was clearly not deliberate but welcomed. So in that regard he should be commended for sticking with it them and not rushing to install the dead weight back into the line up.

Credit is due when it is earned. Though I will caution the Arteta fans for making it seem as if he’s doing well because of 3 positive results after 12 bad ones.
he is 11th in the league. He doesnt deserve any credit. He has under performed everyones expectations

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Chelsea have been doing the same thing since a decade, and they keep winning.

After Wenger went, the board has (perhaps rightly) broken up the old structure and tried to put in a similar thing.

But the difference is that our recruitment/managment team seems to be very incompetent.

novar

Whatever you might think of Arteta, or Emery and Wenger for that matter, I've never understood those who want Arsenal to lose.

The logic of hoping we'll lose so the manager can be sacked, and then we can try a new manager...

What kind of ****e is that?

Defeat is part of life and a requisite to be successful. You're not a real fan if you've never wanted your team to suffer a loss.

How can anyone still think like that after years of Ty educating the fanbase with his insightful performance art is crazy.

Blood on the Tracks

Trusted ⭐

Defeat is part of life and a requisite to be successful. You're not a real fan if you've never wanted your team to suffer a loss.

How can anyone still think like that after years of Ty educating the fanbase with his insightful performance art is crazy.

Nah, no Arsenal fan should want us to lose any match under any circumstances. I don't care if it's the Champions League final or a pre season friendly at Boreham Wood.

Suffering in defeat is what binds us all together as fans, irrespective of the owner, who the manager is or who the players are.

Arsenal Quotes

The English codified the rules of football just as the French perfected wine. We don't often ask an English person to come over to make Bordeaux.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom