• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

07/08 Arsenal vs 22/23

Which one is better?

• Total voters

Bucephalus

Its harder to defend these days because defenders are shackled with the new bullshit rules.

Not taking anything away from our attack. But no way this side score 88 goals 15 years ago. The likes of Stoke and Bolton would have kicked the living daylight out of them and ref wouldn't have lifted a finger.
Yeah. But at least Saka would be able to put in a petulant stamp on an ankle after getting kicked unnecessary for the ninth time.

Being flippant, but this is the most physical Arsenal side I've seen since around 07/08. I think they'd be up for it.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Yeah. But at least Saka would be able to put in a petulant stamp on an ankle after getting kicked unnecessary for the ninth time.

Being flippant, but this is the most physical Arsenal side I've seen since around 07/08. I think they'd be up for it.

There’s no getting away from a Martin Taylor or Ryan Shawcross if they snap a player like the former did during the 07/08 season. The way some of those thugs were getting away with horrible challenges within those AW years was wild.

As bad as the refereeing in the country is, I still think there’s a lot more protection to players nowadays especially with more eyes, technology (it’s being misused) but still it’s generally better than back in those years. Jose Antonio Reyes got assaulted at Old Trafford and not one pundit or anyone in the media said a peep about it back then but that was a constant theme as the “Neville bros weren’t those sort of players” like we used to hear constantly.

Bucephalus

There’s no getting away from a Martin Taylor or Ryan Shawcross if they snap a player like the former did during the 07/08 season. The way some of those thugs were getting away with horrible challenges within those AW years was wild.

As bad as the refereeing in the country is, I still think there’s a lot more protection to players nowadays especially with more eyes, technology (it’s being misused) but still it’s generally better than back in those years. Jose Antonio Reyes got assaulted at Old Trafford and not one pundit or anyone in the media said a peep about it back then but that was a constant theme as the “Neville bros weren’t those sort of players” like we used to hear constantly.
Don't disagree with you. And I'm glad it's out of the game. But (the real) Viera gave as good as he got, too. We weren't exactly choir boys either, even if we were trying to play attractive football.

But we're physical in a way we haven't been for years now. If it were refereed by mid-2000s standards, I have no doubt Rice would put in a ugly two-footed challenge against someone who had kicked Saka too much.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
After fretting over this for a while, I have concluded that I do not like the majority of the 07/08 crew. I struggle to look at any of them with fondness. Cesc, RVP, Adebayor, Nasri, Hleb, Rosicky and Walcott fit into one of three groups, overrated, injury-prone or backstabbed Wenger.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
After fretting over this for a while, I have concluded that I do not like the majority of the 07/08 crew. I struggle to look at any of them with fondness. Cesc, RVP, Adebayor, Nasri, Hleb, Rosicky and Walcott fit into one of three groups, overrated, injury-prone or backstabbed Wenger.
Each of them fits into two of the three groups, actually, and that's not even a joke.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
Each of them fits into two of the three groups, actually, and that's not even a joke.

Nah Cesc wasn’t overrated or particularly injury prone. Massive **** sucking backstabber though so maybe that counts as 2?

RunTheTrap

Those were just the names I listed. I could have easily thrown in the likes of Eduardo, Flamini, Clichy, Toure, Song and Diaby.

I understand why the 07/08 team was so revered because the football was that good, but I get annoyed when fans look at them with rose-tinted glasses. They were pompous primadonnas who let Wenger down and consequently ruined his reputation. Worst of all, one by one, they kicked up a fuss and left in the summer. Most of these guys were nobodies before Wenger plucked them from obscurity. Now that I've grown, I understand what a harmonious environment does to a team - I took that for granted fifteen years ago. Apart from the Yellow Box man, the latest Arsenal squad is so damn likeable. I want to see them win not out of tribalism but for their reputations and goals.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
The only naturally unlikeable player in that group I think was Adebayor, tbh...maybe Gallas too.

I think not winning trophies brought out the worst in most of them, imo...take Cesc for example, he came into pretty much an Invincible team that won the FA cup and got us to a Champions League final, then was seeing Denilson and Song get serious minutes in the team...you think the likes of Saliba or Saka would still want to be here if that was the case now?

If we don't win anything soon... what's to stop Bukayo/Rice for pushing to a move to City, William to PSG, Ødegaard back to Madrid...etc?

I loved the 07/08 team at the time and they all seemed pretty likeable to me back then, but not winning changed that... what's to stop that from happening to the current team?

If we won the league in 2008, maybe Cesc and Robin wouldn't have left and still be universally beloved here...you never know.

Just something to think about...if we keep not winning,how "likeable" will the current team remain 5-10 years down the line.

Also think it's harsh to say injury prone players as a negative, it's not really the players fault to be honest.

db10_therza

🎵 Edu getting rickrolled 🎵
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
If we won the league in 2008, maybe Cesc and Robin wouldn't have left and still be universally beloved here...you never know.

You’re basically rewriting history and creating an alternate timeline in your head just so you can carry on feeling all warm and fuzzy about anything Arsenal nostalgia related.

You got issues man.

I’m with @RunTheTrap - fk these guys man. Not all of them, but the ones that stabbed Wenger in the back can rot in hell for all I care.

Riou

8kypbq.jpg

North5

Here since 2009. Unlike Cornavirus.

The only naturally unlikeable player in that group I think was Adebayor, tbh...maybe Gallas too.

I think not winning trophies brought out the worst in most of them, imo...take Cesc for example, he came into pretty much an Invincible team that won the FA cup and got us to a Champions League final, then was seeing Denilson and Song get serious minutes in the team...you think the likes of Saliba or Saka would still want to be here if that was the case now?

If we don't win anything soon... what's to stop Bukayo/Rice for pushing to a move to City, William to PSG, Ødegaard back to Madrid...etc?

I loved the 07/08 team at the time and they all seemed pretty likeable to me back then, but not winning changed that... what's to stop that from happening to the current team?

Just something to think about...if we keep not winning,how "likeable" will the current team remain 5-10 years down the line.

Also think it's harsh to say injury prone players as a negative, it's not really the players fault to be honest.

We can afford much better wages now and are competing right at the top with no real threat of being financially outmuscled on a regular basis.

The health of the club is a completely different place now. The 07/08 side had a plucky underdog feel to them which this team and club has now shed. We will likely be going into next season odds on favourites to win the the prem with city and probably top 4 CL odds.

The Emirates era arsenal has always felt like it has had a massive bandaide over it , barely holding **** together, until now...

Riou

I wonder if any other team can look back and have their 2 starting strikers be bigger ****s, than Van Persie and Adebayor (with hindsight)

That is kinda funny, ngl 😅

The 2008 squad still have some legends...Gilberto, Lehmann, Toure

And some cult heroes of varying success...Sagna, Rosicky, Eduardo, Walcott, etc.

...in it, plus peak Wenger and I was kinda "more" into football then as I was younger...plus that season was a good year in my life, so a lot of fondness for it (was the year my younger cousin really got into the sport so was fun mentoring him into what The Arsenal stood for, etc)

So I look back on that as a team more as a collective than individuals, tbh...as we did have some tw8ts in those years, no doubt.

RunTheTrap

Also think it's harsh to say injury-prone players as a negative, it's not really the player's fault, to be honest.
1) Adebayor and Gallas were easy to dislike because their antics were public, and we had never seen treachery like this before. They are villains to us because they played the role excellently.

2) The trophy argument is sound, but I look at the big names that stayed with Juventus after the 06 scandal and I am annoyed. Bonnuci, Del Piero and Nedved were in a worse situation than our players but they chose to stick it through. I'm not saying our players should have stayed with a sinking ship but at least don't throw rocks at the ship you just escaped from.

Cesc was the biggest snake out of them. He faked injuries, bunked off work to pally with the Barca boys, and when it all came crashing down in Spain, he ran off to play under Mourinho at Chelsea. He chose to play under one of Wenger's biggest haters. Mourinho publically humiliated Wenger at every press conference. Insulted him on a personal level. But Wenger was “like a dad” to you?! Nah, birds of a feather flock together.

3) I don't mind our players leaving because we are in a far healthier state than in 2008. We will get our money's worth and then some. I've mentally prepared for the day Saliba plays for Madrid and Ødegaard PSG. I'm fine with it as long as they don't take the piss.

4) No one chooses to be injury-prone. But I dislike how our fans eulogise injured players and their impact rises to stupidly high levels. It's been fifteen years and I still hear fans talk about how Eduardo's leg break ended our season. I'm not trying to be a prick but how does losing your fourth squad striker with four league goals end your season? He was behind RVP, Eduardo and Bendtner in the pecking order. Imagine if Eddie got a long-term injury and we capitulated the league. Huh.

Riou

1) Adebayor and Gallas were easy to dislike because their antics were public, and we had never seen treachery like this before. They are villains to us because they played the role excellently.

2) The trophy argument is sound, but I look at the big names that stayed with Juventus after the 06 scandal and I am annoyed. Bonnuci, Del Piero and Nedved were in a worse situation than our players but they chose to stick it through. I'm not saying our players should have stayed with a sinking ship but at least don't throw rocks at the ship you just escaped from.

Cesc was the biggest snake out of them. He faked injuries, bunked off work to pally with the Barca boys, and when it all came crashing down in Spain, he ran off to play under Mourinho at Chelsea. He chose to play under one of Wenger's biggest haters. Mourinho publically humiliated Wenger at every press conference. Insulted him on a personal level. But Wenger was “like a dad” to you?! Nah, birds of a feather flock together.

3) I don't mind our players leaving because we are in a far healthier state than in 2008. We will get our money's worth and then some. I've mentally prepared for the day Saliba plays for Madrid and Ødegaard PSG. I'm fine with it as long as they don't take the piss.

4) No one chooses to be injury-prone. But I dislike how our fans eulogise injured players and their impact rises to stupidly high levels. It's been fifteen years and I still hear fans talk about how Eduardo's leg break ended our season. I'm not trying to be a prick but how does losing your fourth squad striker with four league goals end your season? He was behind RVP, Eduardo and Bendtner in the pecking order. Imagine if Eddie got a long-term injury and we capitulated the league. Huh.

All great/interesting points.

But I can't help but remind everyone that the post in question isn't my specific views, just the views of my client...

8kz555.jpg

Riou

hi-res-9efc9ef9bd0a3db2544fc295e9063ab2_crop_north.jpg

...how do people feel when they see this team?

Riou

This team won trophies for Arsenal after a drought but also had some of the most humiliating results ever. I think they made me sad more than they made me happy and too many players there annoy me.

This is fair, though on the humiliating results thing...

The way we lost to Sp**s and Newcastle in 2022 to throw away Top Four, was embarrassing to me.

The way City absolutely swatted us aside in 2023 like we were a midtable team with nothing to play for at the Etihad during a title fight, was also really bad.

And finally how we lost to a Salah and Van Dijk-less Liverpool team in the cup this season I am still not over, couldn't sleep well that night at all ffs!

... obviously injuries can be accounted for, but it's key results like those ones that make it easy for people to mock us now...and we have nothing to really bounce back with.

2014...got battered in every big away game, least that group helped us end an 8 year trophy drought which was a big mental block to get over.

2015...massive **** up v Monaco, least they retained the FA cup (not something many teams do)

So we had something at least.

if we don't win anything this season, that's just more ammo to the "bottlers" tag, with nothing we can really say back...we will basically be like Sp**s from 2016-2019, and that's not what I want for Arsenal.

Riou

This is fair, though on the humiliating results thing...

The way we lost to Sp**s and Newcastle in 2022 to throw away Top Four, was embarrassing to me.

The way City absolutely swatted us aside in 2023 like we were a midtable team with nothing to play for at the Etihad during a title fight, was also really bad.

And finally how we lost to a Salah and Van Dijk-less Liverpool team in the cup this season I am still not over, couldn't sleep well that night at all ffs!

... obviously injuries can be accounted for, but it's key results like those ones that make it easy for people to mock us now...and we have nothing to really bounce back with.

2014...got battered in every big away game, least that group helped us end an 8 year trophy drought which was a big mental block to get over.

2015...massive **** up v Monaco, least they retained the FA cup (not something many teams do)

So we had something at least.

if we don't win anything this season, that's just more ammo to the "bottlers" tag, with nothing we can really say back...we will basically be like Sp**s from 2016-2019, and that's not what I want for Arsenal.

Again @RunTheTrap don't get me wrong I have no real opinion here, this is me...

sj2cvw7is0j41.png

... someone has gotta ask the questions though 🤷‍♂️

Arsenal Quotes

Reyes !!!
Stand up for the Champions!

Martin Tyler's commentary after Jose Antonio Reyes (RIP) scores the winner against Middlesborough
Top Bottom