• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

1/3 of the season over-1st Trimester report (EPL)

CandysRoom

Established Member
We've made gains in some areas and gone backwards in others. It's football and is to be expected i'm afraid.

As many seem to be saying, there is no outstanding team in the league this year. Chelsea started to look invincible, but that's gone tits up with a couple of key injuries. Reminds me of us for so many years now.

I just hope other teams now see that Chelsea have a somewhat softer underbelly than previously imagined and play to win against them.

Biggest negative for us seems to be inconsistancy, the biggest positive, our more steely performances than previous seasons.

I'll give em a B+

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
otfgoon said:
Theoretically you could win 36 league games and draw 2 and you'd still be relying on your rival to slip up.

It's a blunt point.

And isnt this thread pretty much exactly the same as the 10 game thread except with a 'fun' school based theme?

Yes.....but at least we can discuss our form after a few more games. 1/3 of the season seems a good point to take stock of where we are and look at some of our strengths and weaknesses to date.

redanddread

Iloveyouarsenewenger said:
qs said:
redanddread said:
1. We are still really vulnerable at set pieces-particulalry corners.

I really don't think thats true.

Three out of the last four goals we have conceded have come from set pieces. Shakhtar equalizer, Newcastle goal and Everton goal.

Until reently we had not conceded from set pieces and in particular corners but if you see how many times we have cleared balls off the line from corners and what pressure we are under when opponents have corners/set pieces it is not surprising that we have started to concede. I suppose this is highlighted even more when we have not been as effective on our own set pieces.

CandysRoom

Established Member
I think the way we play- controlling possession for large periods means the only goals we are likely to concede most of the time are from quick counter attacks or more likely set pieces.

I think opposition managers must target this when playing us and look to put their most effort into them.

I do think we've been much better at defending set pieces, especially when you consider we're using new CB's most of the time. Perhaps losing Gallas and having a defence that talk to each other for the first time in years in going in our favour.

yuvken

Established Member
I agree with otf there's really nothing special about 10 or 12 games. You'd have a point if we didn't have a 10 match thread, but we did (and it's a bit more sensible: you don't want to draw too many lines before you are really in the season, and several people said, in line with common thought, that "we'll see after 10 games". Beyond that - why is it more than "the race to the title" which is very general and invites the immediate, and the deeper, thoughts related to our team, chances, etc. It also let's you make assessments after real key points, like utd/chls games, etc).

Having said all that, and "just playing", where we are is still at the beginning. We know our new players are good, and came in spots needed strengthening. Key point (and at this time key plus) - our GK position seems much improved. If this trend lasts we may be solid chmp material (which you simply are not without a real keeper).
Also some players are better than we thought (august): Jack, Samir, DJ, Theo (and Flappy as mentioned).
A more contestable point, but one I have a view on, is our general defending awareness. Without going into detail here, it seems our team has taken that as a different priority.
How it materializes has independent points, good and bad. I think on the whole I'm encouraged, but certainly not just positives (where has song gone? is that where he should have gone, and will go? whichever way, the mid cover is many times missing).

On the entirely negative side are some performances that can not be explained, and are not rare at all. Yet to be convinced this team is really going to give everything and will not accept defeat (in title race). Yet to understand why this is so.

A

Anonymous

I'm really looking forward to seeing how Wenger handles January.

redanddread

yuvken said:
I agree with otf there's really nothing special about 10 or 12 games. You'd have a point if we didn't have a 10 match thread, but we did (and it's a bit more sensible: you don't want to draw too many lines before you are really in the season, and several people said, in line with common thought, that "we'll see after 10 games". Beyond that - why is it more than "the race to the title" which is very general and invites the immediate, and the deeper, thoughts related to our team, chances, etc. It also let's you make assessments after real key points, like utd/chls games, etc).

Having said all that, and "just playing", where we are is still at the beginning. We know our new players are good, and came in spots needed strengthening. Key point (and at this time key plus) - our GK position seems much improved. If this trend lasts we may be solid chmp material (which you simply are not without a real keeper).
Also some players are better than we thought (august): Jack, Samir, DJ, Theo (and Flappy as mentioned).
A more contestable point, but one I have a view on, is our general defending awareness. Without going into detail here, it seems our team has taken that as a different priority.
How it materializes has independent points, good and bad. I think on the whole I'm encouraged, but certainly not just positives (where has song gone? is that where he should have gone, and will go? whichever way, the mid cover is many times missing).

On the entirely negative side are some performances that can not be explained, and are not rare at all. Yet to be convinced this team is really going to give everything and will not accept defeat (in title race). Yet to understand why this is so.

We haven't won anything for so long and in particular, this team has never won anything, so until we do win a trophy we will always have doubts as to their ability to tough it out for a full season and take home the bacon...

Anzac

Established Member
mo50 said:
There's no point talking about if's though, is there? Had we beaten the 2 newly promoted teams, and not let that goal in against Sunderland, we'd have been top of the league quite comfortably.

Point being those losses were at Home & indicate that we are still plagued by the same issues of inconsistancy since 07/08.

As I said earlier IMO it is as much that CFC & ManU are coming back towards our level, as opposed to any substantial improvement/raising our game by us.

mo50

Established Member
Anzac said:
mo50 said:
There's no point talking about if's though, is there? Had we beaten the 2 newly promoted teams, and not let that goal in against Sunderland, we'd have been top of the league quite comfortably.

Point being those losses were at Home & indicate that we are still plagued by the same issues of inconsistancy since 07/08.

As I said earlier IMO it is as much that CFC & ManU are coming back towards our level, as opposed to any substantial improvement/raising our game by us.

Sunderland absolutely outclassed Chelsea at the Bridge. We're the only challenger that has successfully taken 3 points off Man. City at COMS. United drew against Everton, a team we beat quite comfortably on Sunday.

If anything, recent results have shown we're the team picking it up a notch, not vice versa.

Regarding the inconsistencies part, we were brilliant at home last season. What's to say we won't improve and reach that level of consistency once again? I think your doing us a major disservice, Anzac.

mistaT

Established Member
Who cares if they're coming back to our level (at least regarding Chelsea) rather than us noticeably improving?

I'm sorry, but Chelsea's form last year was unbelievable and I'm a little surprised they didn't win the league by more.

Think about the internal development and player acquisition it would truly take to step up to that level of play? Honestly, we'd need a world class goalie, left mid, central defender, one maybe two Cm's and a forward that isn't a crock.

Anzac

Established Member
mo50 said:
Anzac said:

Sunderland absolutely outclassed Chelsea at the Bridge. We're the only challenger that has successfully taken 3 points off Man. City at COMS. United drew against Everton, a team we beat quite comfortably on Sunday.

If anything, recent results have shown we're the team picking it up a notch, not vice versa.

Regarding the inconsistencies part, we were brilliant at home last season. What's to say we won't improve and reach that level of consistency once again? I think your doing us a major disservice, Anzac.

Our performance at City was helped by the fact they were a man down inside 10 minutes, and it took Mancini the rest of the half to sort the team out. Our recent seasons have shown a see-saw effect re Home v Away form - we have been unable to achieve any balance.

As I said earlier IMO we're still not as good as we were this stage in 07/08 or last season, and I've seen nothing to indicate we'll reach those levels let alone surpass them. We may be in the mix but without surpassing those earlier seasons (with much the same core) then IMO we are still relying upon the market coming back to us as opposed to us re-establishing our power as yet.

mo50

Established Member
Anzac said:
mo50 said:
Anzac said:

Our performance at City was helped by the fact they were a man down inside 10 minutes, and it took Mancini the rest of the half to sort the team out. Our recent seasons have shown a see-saw effect re Home v Away form - we have been unable to achieve any balance.

As I said earlier IMO we're still not as good as we were this stage in 07/08 or last season, and I've seen nothing to indicate we'll reach those levels let alone surpass them. We may be in the mix but without surpassing those earlier seasons (with much the same core) then IMO we are still relying upon the market coming back to us as opposed to us re-establishing our power as yet.

Fair enough. I still don't think we've hit top gear this season, and our performances at home will improve with time. We won't need to be as good as we were in 07/08, we'll need to be better than United/Chelsea to win it.

Anzac

Established Member
mo50 said:
Fair enough. I still don't think we've hit top gear this season, and our performances at home will improve with time. We won't need to be as good as we were in 07/08, we'll need to be better than United/Chelsea to win it.

Agreed regarding the title outcome, & IMO apart from CFC's form in the run Home last season it has been much the same for the past 3 seasons. We should have won the PL in 07/08 which would have set us up going forward, and as yet we have yet to match that previous level. IMO our progress tends to mirror our policy in the transfer market = we make incrimental improvements as we wait/hope for the market/contenders to come back to us.

dendito

My main feeling today (and i am watching the braga's game) is that if we are to wi anything this season, we need more depth in the squad!

And overall we need to get rid and sell some players who aren't what we expected from them! (Denilson, Rosicky, Bendtner, Almunia for example)

I really though walcott had improved when i saw him at the start of the season but now he looks like the walcott from last season: flashes of briliance but average the rest of the time. Still would sign a proper winger!

And then again, defense and goalkeepers are still an issue...

My prediction for the end of the season:

Consider ourselves happy if we win the carling cup!

Arsenal Quotes

I'm obsessed by the idea of making my mark on history. And Arsenal is my paradise.

Thierry Henry

Latest posts

Top Bottom