• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

2 World Class Players

How may more "world class" players will sign?

• 1 more on the way

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 more on the way

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Marky249

I was Having an argument with a mate of mine on the " 2 World class players" issue, He seemed to belive that Hleb was a world class player as he has played for belarus sp* but surely if you have played for your national team it doesnt make you world class, thats like saying if you played for the Faroe Islands your world class....i think not, well I still belive there are 2 world class players on the way, he doesnt, Whos Right?

Jkreffer

Established Member
I think that Wenger definately rates Hleb as one of these world class players. Who knows who the other one is, but im guessing that he is referring to Robinho.

kevlinefm

Actually, who we are to say who's wordclass, right? Only Arsène knows. Lol. But to Wenger, I do think whoever's good and can play the Wengerball, can be known as a worldclass player. Agree?

asajoseph

Established Member
I really am getting damn fed up with people bandying about such an opaque term as 'world class' these days - essentially, it means nothing more than a subjective judgement of a player against subjectively selected criteria. For one person 'world class' might mean only 'the best player in his position in the world', for another it might simply mean that a player is 'one of the best 100 in all positions in the world'.

'World Class' means bloody nothing, and I wish people would stop using the phrase. Is Hleb 'world class'? Well, whose definition of 'world class' are we using? Because only Wenger's will give us an accurate answer, what you or I think means bugger all. My strong feeling is that when Wenger says he'll sign 2 'world class' players, Hleb is one of them. If he didn't think Hleb was a 'world class' player, he wouldn't think Arsenal are a 'world class' team - why deliberately sign players who aren't good enough (unless he thinks Hleb's a long term reserve, in which case wouldn't he be a 'world class reserve'?)?

So, assuming Wenger sticks like a limpet to his '2 players' statement, which he may or may not, Hleb is certainly one of the players he had in mind.

Jkreffer

Established Member
I honestly think that people throw around the tag "world class" a little too freely. I think that Hleb is a fantastic player, but to say he is world class is just not true. He has every chance of becoming world class under Wengers judgement with better players around him, but as it stands he isn't. Niether is SWP or Robinho despite all there unbelievable potantial. Vieira, Henry and Campbell are world class players, but at this exact moment in time, can we really place these players in the same bracket as them?

teitzo

i don't care what yous say, hleb is world class. we'll sign one more. maybe Baptista. if not baptista, i don't know.

kel varnsen

Established Member
asajoseph said:
I really am getting damn fed up with people bandying about such an opaque term as 'world class' these days - essentially, it means nothing more than a subjective judgement of a player against subjectively selected criteria. For one person 'world class' might mean only 'the best player in his position in the world', for another it might simply mean that a player is 'one of the best 100 in all positions in the world'.

'World Class' means bloody nothing, and I wish people would stop using the phrase. Is Hleb 'world class'? Well, whose definition of 'world class' are we using? Because only Wenger's will give us an accurate answer, what you or I think means bugger all. My strong feeling is that when Wenger says he'll sign 2 'world class' players, Hleb is one of them. If he didn't think Hleb was a 'world class' player, he wouldn't think Arsenal are a 'world class' team - why deliberately sign players who aren't good enough (unless he thinks Hleb's a long term reserve, in which case wouldn't he be a 'world class reserve'?)?

So, assuming Wenger sticks like a limpet to his '2 players' statement, which he may or may not, Hleb is certainly one of the players he had in mind.

hleb is world class. end of discussion.

Canuck

Established Member
It's the 'buzz word' this year... :roll:
6 months ago it was Hildebrand who was 'world class'. Well I think that is probably open to debate as well.

kevin earley

i dont know anything of hleb but if wenger wants some one that much ( 10 million almost ) he must have some thing wenger wants from a player

then i surpose a super striker will be next ( depending on van persie )

arsewhole

i think another striker will come even if robin is innocent. bergy is retiring soon, reyes will probaby play more on the wing, so that leaves us with just henry and van persie up front.

_scorpion_

Established Member
I think people are using this 'world class' comment to feul their desire to see Wenger sign an ADDITIONAL 2 players after the Hleb signing.

Probably stems from their lack of world football knowledge and thier desire to see 30 million spent on one single name.

Hate it or love it I'm 100% certain Hleb is one of the two signings Wenger was talking about.

As Asa mentioned 'world class' is a subjective term.

teitzo

arsewhole said:
i think another striker will come even if robin is innocent. bergy is retiring soon, reyes will probaby play more on the wing, so that leaves us with just henry and van persie up front.

yeah i agree
I believe in time Reyes will make the left-mid position his own perminently. DB10 won't be here next season, and that would leave us with Rvp and Henry. If we get Baptista, we can presume him and henry will start and RvP will come one ocasionally.

Ratinho

Established Member
Agree with Asa, it's a far too subjective term for any of this to be relevant.

Put it this way, my reading of world class is a player that wouldn't look out of place in a world eleven, and there are plenty of players around like that. I believe Hleb to be one of them.

J the Red

World class is a poor term because it is so open to interpretation. Personally I would say a world class player is someone like Henry, Ronaldinho, Nedved, Shevchenko et al and not someone like Alexansdr Hleb, but others are bound to disagree with that.

I think that Hleb is definetly a player who Wenger thinks has big enough potential to go on and become a star for us and he is one of our big two signings of the summer. However I am still convinced we will bring in two more players before the new season. I am sure we will spend big money (ie more than £7m) on a striker and also I think he will look to bring in a squad player....most probably a goalkeeper.

But in Wenger we trust and I'm positive that come the community sheild we will have at least one new face in the team and not just the squad.

A

Anonymous

The two world class player signing should be Hleb & Baptista ..

kevlinefm

Based on current situations, Baptista is a more likely figure who's gonna join Arsenal. It's good though, as Robinho is always just a dream signing.

Arsenal Quotes

I really like Arsenal. But you, do you like Arsenal? Or just Arsenal with Trophies?

Dennis Bergkamp
Top Bottom