• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

2009 Youth Cup Winners - Who's Gonna Make It?

ricky1985

Established Member
Okay, so our Under 18's have just won the Youth version of the FA Cup, completing an impressive double, after their triumph in the Academy League last week, by a whopping 25 points. There are some real prospects, but history tells us only 1 or 2 will make it, or is this generation different?

I know there are a lot of you who know next to nothing about the team but would like to know more. So here's who I think will make it from the class of 2009.

Arsenal Potential

Jack Wilshere - 17, AM. Doesn't need any introduction. The only real doubt surrounding him is what position he is going to eventually play. He played off the striker for some of the first leg of the Youth Cup Final, then moved to centre midfield for the rest of the game and the majority of the second leg, where he also played briefly on the right wing.
For me he could be a dream of a right winger, especially given how Arsenal like to deploy their wide men. He has a lot of developing to do physically, and if his already impressive acceleration improves further - he'll be practically unstoppable. Think Messi, and in 5 years I don't think he'll be a million miles away.
Can he become an option next season? Yes, quite simply. I see him having a similar season to Bendtner in 2007/08. Featuring in nearly every game, but with only 10 or so starts. I think he'll make a real impact, and I reckon he'll mainly be used from the right wing.

Francis Coquellin - 18, DM/CM. He has it all - power, pace, technique, aggression, intelligence - all that is required of a modern day centre midfielder. His energy is incredible, and he has shows real dynamism going forward.
Can he become an option next season? Needs to develop physically in order to be considered for the first team, he would be a little overpowered if he was thrown in now. I think Wenger will keep him close by, similar to what he did with Denilson and Song. Easing him in in the cup competitions and seeing how he does.

Kyle Bartley - 18, CB. 6'4", athletic, mobile, and a good reader of the game. That's an impressive foundation to build off. A good comparison for those of you who don't know a lot about him is Rio Ferdinand, not Ferdinand now, but the young man who came through at West Ham. A rare specimen physically with such height but without the reduced mobility that is so common. Composed on the ball, utterly dominant in the air, and strong in the tackle. Prone to slight lapses in concentration, and guilty of taking it easy occassionally, but has that rare ability that you can't ever train into someone - a natural ability to be in the right place at the right time when the ball comes into the box.
Can he become an option next season? In short, no. He is going to have to learn the hard way when it comes to concentration and positioning, like every great defender before him. The best move would be to send him out on loan to a good Championship club, Middlesbrough or Newcastle perhaps. Big clubs, big pressure, and the responsibility to perform every week against physically strong and determined attackers. If he could handle it, he would come a back a real option for the following season.

Jay Emanuel-Thomas, 18, AM. Amazing talent. Big, crazily strong, quick feet, good left foot, good passing range. On the face of it he has it all, but his progression to the first team is balanced far more precariously than any of the first three. He has no real position at the moment, he is playing left wing, and it's patently clear he is no left winger. He doesn't have the quick brain of an attacking midfielder, or the incisive movement. For me, his real future lies as a powerful, box-to-box centre midfielder, but if that is to happen he will have to put some serious work into learning the 'dirty' side of the position. I'm not sure his ego will let him do that.
Can he become an option next season? No, he would be no better than what Diaby currently offers. Occassionally brilliant in the final third, but too often dissapointing and naive. Needs some hard work on the training ground, and then perhaps next season (2010/11) a loan to another Premier League club. If he works hard he could be an awesome centre midfielder by the time he's 20 years old.

Sanchez Watt - 18, AM/ST. He's emerged as a real talent in this cup run. He has the one thing that gives you a real chance of making it - searing, burning pace. Add to that his 6 foot frame, good technique and tireless running ability and you've got a player.
He was electric over the two legs against Liverpool, scoring two good goals. I think he is always going to be the kind of forward that needs a strike partner, he likes to drop deep and work off someone. He's got a very decent left foot and has good composure when he gets one-on-one.
Can he become an option next season? No, not next season. He is still a little too raw. I would say a season more of progression in the reserves, with some experience in the Carling cup, and then a loan to a Championship team next season (2010/11). He will need to work really hard to have a chance of making it here.

Premier League Potential

Luke Ayling - 17, CB. Probably as talented as Bartley. He is a natural defender, always making great interceptions, and blocks. The problem is he doesn't have Bartley's physical gifts, at only 5'11" he will struggle in aerially accentuated League, and Bartley is probably a little bit quicker also. I think he'll make a good, solid Premier League centreback one day. May have to work his way up from the Championship though.

Emanuel Frimpong, 17, DM/CM. There is a very real chance of him making it at Arsenal. He is as ferocious a tackler as I've ever seen, and he is ridiculously strong for a 17 year old. I just have a feeling that Coquellin is the better player, and the better prospect. In time he'll be able to do everything Frimpong can do, and a lot more. However, I think Frimpong will make a very good career for himself in the Premier League, he is made to play there.

Henri Lansbury - 18, CM/RM. A few were comparing him to Beckham off the back of last nights game. High praise indeed. His technique is flawless, he can pass and cross very consistently. Also has a lot of energy and shows real intelligence with his choice of pass. Unfortunately he lacks the speed to play effectively wide, and doesn't have any real composure when he gets into goal scoring positions. At the moment he lacks size and strength to play centrally, I think he'll make a top centre midfielder one day, and I'd love it to be with Arsenal, but I don't think he quite has enough to do so.

Rhys Murphy - 18, ST. A natural born striker. He knows where to move, and when to move there, and he can finish consistently. Unfortunately the other areas of his game aren't quite so good. He isn't particularly quick, nor is he a physical presence, and he doesn't have the technical ability to bring others into play. He'll make a good Premiership striker, but Wenger and Arsenal ask for more from their forwards.

Gilles Sunu - 18, ST. Has a good mixture of attributes - 6 foot tall, good pace, decent technique and finishing, and good movement. Unfortunately for him he doesn't have one absolutely outstanding quality that sets him apart. He'll be a good striker that will score a decent amount of goals, but I don't think he has enough to do that at Arsenal.

Lower League Potential

James Shea - 17, GK. Looks like a decent shot stopper, unfortunately that looks about as far as it goes. He'll do well to make a career for himself in professional football.

Craig Eastmond - 18, RB. Has pace and power, but not enough to compensate for his lack of defensive intelligence. Nothing about his game says he can make it at Arsenal, or even at the top level.

Tom Cruise - 18, LB. Very comforatble on the ball, and shows great composure when going forward. Lacks the speed required to be a Premier League left back, you've got be extremely mobile to succeed at fullback in this League. Will be a good player in the Championship though I reckon.

So that's my guesses as to who will make it. To be honest I would love to see some of these local kids who have been at the club since they were 9 years old become part of the squad, even if they aren't good enough to be in the first XI. Players like Ayling, Frimpong, Lansbury, Murphy etc. Could become our versions of O'Shea, Wes Brown, Phil Neville and Darren Fletcher etc. It would provide the squad with great continuity and personality, a lot of these kids have literally grown up together.

*Off work at the moment, so far too much time on my hands* :)

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member
I disagree (I'm not sure what with, but I've always wanted to respond to a long, well-considered post like yours with "I disagree"...so I did).

fabo

6.51 / 10
Yep good review there Ricky.

I certainly believe Wilshere will become a permanent fixture at the club. Arrogant little so and so and a touch greedy at times, but talent-wise he is formidable and if he continues to work hard and under the right tutelage (no better place tbh) he should be eased in next season and barring injuries etc can become a regular in the team within a few years. Not as concerned about his position tbh, he looks as capable wide as he is in an advanced role.

The other one I'm very optimistic about is Coquelin especially considering we have very few of his type at senior level (one actually once Cana signs). Hopeful that he'll play some CC games next season - maybe alongside Ramsey. Thought he was great last night.

Not as sure about Dirty Sanchez Watt, JET, Sunu or Bartley. Would love to see Bartley progress and eventually break into the first team but as you said, a loan spell in the dirty lower leagues could do him the world of good. As for JET, if he stagnates we could just throw an Ade jersey on him and send him off to Milan. They might never know!

progman07

Established Member
This smells like a "what I heard about him earlier + how did they do in the 2nd leg of the Youth Cup Final" thread.

JET did brilliantly in the first leg, I guess if you had made this topic 2 days ago you would have said he is ready to become an option.

Lansbury suffers because of his low reputation lately (2 years ago he was supposed to be the next big thing, but got the glandular fever). Had you been told he is Wilshere, everyone would be praising him the most (he did just as much as Wilshere during the two matches).

Frimpong didn't play in the last two games and suddenly he won't make it.

qs

Established Member
Sanchez Watt is a pace merchant. He wont make it at Arsenal. I'd rate Lansbury much higher.

Klaus Daimler

Established Member
Little bit harsh, prog, but I also get the feeling that the predictions are based a bit too much on the final.

Out of the youth cup winners I think Wilshere, Coquelin, Frimpong, Bartley, Emmanuel-Thomas and Lansbury have a good chance to make it. It obviously depend on their continued development and what the first team squad will look like at key moments but I think a couple of them will make it at least.

progman07

Established Member
Klaus Daimler said:
Little bit harsh, prog, but I also get the feeling that the predictions are based a bit too much on the final.

Out of the youth cup winners I think Wilshere, Coquelin, Frimpong, Bartley, Emmanuel-Thomas and Lansbury have a good chance to make it. It obviously depend on their continued development and what the first team squad will look like at key moments but I think a couple of them will make it at least.
I meant in the smaller details. Of course Wilshere will be likely to make it, and Shea isn't first team material, but stuff like "JET isn't good in attacking" are knee-jerk a bit.

ricky1985

Established Member
progman07 said:
This smells like a "what I heard about him earlier + how did they do in the 2nd leg of the Youth Cup Final" thread.

JET did brilliantly in the first leg, I guess if you had made this topic 2 days ago you would have said he is ready to become an option.

Lansbury suffers because of his low reputation lately (2 years ago he was supposed to be the next big thing, but got the glandular fever). Had you been told he is Wilshere, everyone would be praising him the most (he did just as much as Wilshere during the two matches).

No, sorry, you're wrong. My opinions are absed on what I've seen over the course of the season.

tam1886

Established Member
I don't think I've seen enough of the likes of Thomas or Frimpong to have any real idea of how good they are, but from what I have seen they seem to have more than enough talent to make it if they put the work in and have the right frame of mind. And that's what it will come down to with most of them I think. The talent is there, but it's keeping their feet on the ground and keeping them hungry to improve which will ultimately decide whether they make it here or not.

They could be the best bunch of kids since Fergie's in the early 90s and have a similar impact, or they could peter out and end up playing away from here. I think there is a good chance we could end up with a lot more than the usual average filtering through and having a big impact on the first team. Usually you'd be happy with one or two making it, but we're looking at possibly four or five, or maybe even more from this bunch. It's crazy how dominant that are amongst their age group, and I can't wait to see how they cope against more mature players who know how to play to their own strengths and to our boys' weaknesses. I'm holding out on predictions of who exactly might make it until I see that I think.

GaelForce22

Established Member
progman07 said:
I like Frimpong but didn't really think he would make it before these games. His lack of technique and passing ability stand out in this side, if he was in the first team it would be even worse. Of course that could improve but I just think Coquelin is the bigger talent in a position where a youth player will need to be exceptional to get past the slightly older first team players already here.

For some of the others:
Wilshere - Yes, there's a lot of developing to be done but he's clearly a massive prospect.
Bartley - I'm not a fan of young centre-backs, very few are capable of playing at high levels until they are much older and it's the riskiest position on the pitch to let someone learn their trade. That said, Bartley has all the physical attributes needed and seems to read the game well. We will have to see how quickly he improves (loan option) before considering having him even in the Carling Cup team.
Ayling - Similar to what I said about Bartley, it will clearly be a long time until he can be brought up to the first team. Not convinced he'll make it.
JET - Same as what Ricky said except the ego part (can you expand on what you mean by that?). I'm worried that unless he finds a consistent position to work on, he'll struggle to make the most of his massive talents.
Lansbury - Similar to Merida and Randall in that he is excellent technically, intelligent and creative yet doesn't have the attributes required to play in the middle or on the wing for us at the moment. I think he'll be a Premiership footballer, but probably not here.
Sunu - Very intelligent runner, strong and a good finisher as well. If he fulfills his potential he will be very good somewhere but probably not here considering the competition he's going to have.
Watt - I don't rate him as high as Sunu so again, the competition up front is probably going to be too much for him.

DaGunners

Established Member
Watt has a much better chance of making it as a wide player here than Lansbury in my opinion. Lansbury is probably a better technically, but Watt is a lot pacier, had more pace, and can actually beat men to the inside or out side. He can be a Wiltord type player. Wenger probably wont like his type because he wont be a pass merchant, but Watt is definitely the more talented player for me.

banduan

Established Member
I think Wilshere and Lansbury are the only sure bets here.

Lansbury had glandular fever and has been recovering very very slowly. He chose to go to Scunthorpe, and did well.

We'll see how well he does next CC.

ricky1985

Established Member
GaelForce22 said:
JET - Same as what Ricky said except the ego part (can you expand on what you mean by that?).

I wrote this in the other thread.

ricky1985 said:
If Emanuel-Thomas has any chance of making it he needs to get his head screwed on. He needs to develop a bit of discipline, and stop this 'I'm too good to be a centre midfielder' crap. I've heard both Bould and Banfield talking about the fact that he wants to play further forward, and they are trying to reign him in.

Lets face it the only position he has a chance of making it at Arsenal is in centre midfield. He needs to learn the 'dirty' side of that position, put some hard work into learning it in training and stop learning how to do more step overs and tricks and flicks.

Basically he needs to lose the ego and realise he isn't good enough in the final third to become a top class attacker, and put his head down and become the best damn centre midfielder he can be. His raw materials are fantastic, he could become a monstrous central midfielder, but he's got to really want it.

And this.

ricky1985 said:
Klaus Daimler said:
ricky1985 said:
I'm not looking at what we have and judging whether he can make it or not. I'm looking at his abilities and saying I don't think he has what it takes to become a top class attacking midfielder.
How much have you seen him play this season ricky? It's not a mean-spirited question, but I think it's important. If you've mostly seen him play in the Youth Cup final then that's not really a great indication. If you've seen him masterminding the attack against West Brom though then I'm puzzled as to why you could possibly believe that he doesn't have the necessary skills to cut it in an attacking role. I'd go as far as saying that he's second only to Wilshere in respect to vision and technique in the current reserve side.

I've seen him play probably about 10 full games this season. I agree he is massively talented, but I think he can only really hurt teams when he can over power them. Which, even at reserve level, he can do almost all of the time.

For me, he doesn't have the incisive passing ability, intelligence to pick the right pass, and play it at the right time, with the right weight on it, and he doesn't have the dribbling ability to hurt a good fullback. He also can't really cross a ball, nor does he have the inate ability to take up threatening positions in the box, or make penetrative runs off the ball to get into goal scoring positions.

Overall nowhere near the right kind of attributes to be a top class attacking midfielder or wide man.

What he does have imo is phenomenal power, great athleticism, decent timing in the tackle, a good passing range, and good ability to drive with the ball from deep into space.

His abilities to me scream out powerful, box-to-box centre midfielder. In order to do that he needs to learn the nuances of the position. Tracking runners, covering space, staying disciplined, picking the right pass, playing for the team and not himself. All very achievable improvements, and allied to the abilities he already possesses he could become a world beater.

I just think he loves playing out wide and trying to turn full backs inside out, scoring goals, grabbing the headlines and not having to do any of the dirty work. That's why for me Coquellin and Wilshere are on a different level to him. Atittude is a big part of it, there's is spot on, his is way off imo.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
I think...

Wilshere, JET, Frimpong(maybe will be Muamba, good enough but not for us), Coquelin, Bartley, Ayling(finally 2 good cbs), Lansbury...

Seriously they are all good. I am judging it by the first leg(still downloading the 2nd leg match ;) )

Can't decide on Watt, Sunu, Murphy

patrick42uk

Established Member
For me, JET should be a center back, but I see where Ricky's coming from with the box to box shout. One things clear, he aint making a career here as a wide player/offensive midfielder.

otfgoon

Established Member
Wilshere, Coquelin and Bartley are the only ones I think will make it at Arsenal.

Others like Lansbury, Tom Cruise, and Watt can make it if they can step it up a level.

Lansbury was absolutely brilliant before his long layoff, especially his passing ability and vision. A combination of the lay off and being deployed out wide seems to have made him a shadow of a player really, but talent doesnt just go away so maybe it'll come back to him, he did well in the youth cup final so thats a good sign.

Tom Cruise just seems to have the composure and technique required to make it at the top, he does lack a bit of pace but then so does Gary Neville and it didn't stop him. He could go either way.

Watt is another one of those that look really impressive at youth levels but you're just not sure if it will work at the highest level. I'll reserve judgement until I see him in the Carling Cup or something.

Obviously other could surprise too but I can't see it at the moment. Thomas is overrated in this place, I think without the advantage his massive frame gives him at youth levels he'll turn out to be a little ordinary.

32inchVerticalLeap

Established Member
Not impressed by Lansbury, we seemed to lose the ball with him all the time.

Hope Wilshere gets some first team action next year ( besides CC)

A_Gooner_Matata

Established Member
My ignorant two cents: Wilshere, Coquelin and Bartley will probably "make it". The other young centre-back and JET might. Frimpong too perhaps? If I was a betting man, I'd say Lansbury and Watt won't...at least not for Arsenal.

Arsenal Quotes

The biggest things in life have been achieved by people who, at the start, we would have judged crazy. And yet if they had not had these crazy ideas the world would have been more stupid.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom