• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

26 May 1989...

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Gooner for 59 years said:
There is a book on "It's up for grabs now"... recollections of fans, players and officials. All profits go to the Rocky Rocastle charity(Mark Fisher Trust)...so well worth getting for 2 reasons. I still get as much of a kick re-reading it as re watching the video and Fever Pitch. Definitely one of our better nights.
Details here http://www.arsenal-world.co.uk/news/loa ... &id=209937

Good point. It is actually a damn good collection and well worth the money.

Tegh

Established Member
That's the one, RtC, Colin Firth.
I think I'm going to watch Fever Pitch again, quality movie.

Thommybhoy

Established Member
It's 18 years since the best moment in our clubs history. Exactly the same time it was since last league victory on that amazing day. I just hope that in one year's time this will no longer be the best moment in the history of the club, if You know what I mean :)
Here are some clips just to refresh beautiful memories.
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4

Nutsy

Established Member
Ahh.. Anfield 89... Too young to remember back then.. but what a rich memories it shoots out for all of us.

It's up for graaaabs now! :D

Tony Montana

Established Member
RocktheCasbah said:
TheHotshot said:
RocktheCasbah said:
omega man said:
RocktheCasbah said:
TheHotshot said:
What are you people talking about?

Read this mate. Should clue you in..

I imagine he was joking. 1 minute! I love it...

Nice of you, but this is the guy who didn't know who David Rocastle was...

First of all, thank you for guiding me to that article.

Secondly, stop with the "He doesn't know David Rocastle". I know him very much now thank you so stop bringing up that annoying statement.

Touche!

But you didn't, did you? :wink:

Aussie said:
Hotshot! I was starting to like you mate!

Do your self a fav and read Exiled's great history section on the site. Or at least hire the history DVD!

You may not have been a gooner then but as far as im concerned not knowing something like this is just a disgrace.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nutsy

Established Member
LMAO.. Tony you still on it mate - It's been a YEAR!. Jebus. Mr. Hotshot's going to shoot you personally for this. but...

:lol: :lol:

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
bet half of you lot was tossing off after thatt win...nahhh i was 1 years old but growing up my dad always banged on about that match in my head
anfield 89...rocky and michael thomas
banres and macmahon and dalglish were speechless..gat in there!!!

tam1886

Established Member
Just watched that video again. Tingling all the way through. I was too young then too, only 3 but its great to see.

How bad were those tracksuits though!

Grampus_Eight

RockyRocastle said:
26th May 1989 was a probably the best day of my life until the early hours of 26th May 2006 when I became a dad!

What a perfect day eh!

Just popped home to get changed and see if we had signed anyone, off now to wet the babies head.

Have a good summer one and all, doubtful I will be around much now due to not getting any sleep!

Congratulations! Inspired family planning... :wink:

And as a late arriving casual follower in the early 90s (occasional VHS tapes and newspaper reports) living in a provincial football backwater - turned obsessive thanks to satellites and whatnot - I'm eternally jealous of not being able to experience this greatest piece of modern Arsenal history.

What is St. Michael the Arse Angel up to these days?

According to wiki:
"After retiring from football, Thomas set up his own security service, which he runs to this day.[1] He can also be seen playing for the Liverpool legends side from time to time."

Funny old game...
http://www.lfchistory.net/redcorner_art ... le_id=1011

jay-d

Established Member
LOL all these people congratulating Rocky a year late. But back to the big day,I still remember it clearly, I was 11 and watched the game with my best mate when Thomas scored we went absolutely mental and at the final whistle we ran bare footed, screaming up my street, I watched the DVD again recently and still get a mad chill from the whole thing, BEST CLIMAX TO A SEASON EVER!!

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Grampus_Eight said:
Congratulations! Inspired family planning... :wink:

And as a late arriving casual follower in the early 90s (occasional VHS tapes and newspaper reports) living in a provincial football backwater - turned obsessive thanks to satellites and whatnot - I'm eternally jealous of not being able to experience this greatest piece of modern Arsenal history.

Oh, but you can experience it, here

And, a little self indulgence here, my thoughts on a memorable night, fully captured on the dvd here

sabret00the

Established Member
At ten, i had girls on my mind and playing football at which i was always Arsenal but i no where near followed the team close enough.

ZanYGooneR

yayo77 said:
i was only 8 but remember it like it was yesterday.best game in the history of the club,without a shadow of a doubt.i loved the team we had back then, an all english 11 if i remember correctly(my how times change).

Almost mate, I think the only play who wasn't English was David O'leary if I'm not mistaken. If I am please correct me.

What a game what a day, I was only 7 at the time, and I'm not pretending I do actually remember it.......well I remember my dad going balistic and to this day if anyone asked me to act out his celebration I could. That was also the season when my mum brought me my first ever arsenal kit, the home one.

I actually watched that game on Saturday because it was on ESPN classic a few weeks back and I sky+ it and thought I'd watch it on saturday as I was so depressed that there was no footy on. What a game closest thing anyone will ever get to a fairy-tale on football.

That's why I am forever grateful to my Dad for making me a Gooner

OH TO OH TO BE, OH TO BE A GOONER!!!! :)

Arsenal Quotes

This is a big moment of happiness...we waited a long time for this and the happiness is linked sometimes with the suffering, and the time that you have to wait....this was more important than all the other (trophies) we have twice won the double, but were not under pressure then like we were today.

Arsène Wenger, on winning the 2014 FA Cup

Daily Transfer Updates

Saturday, May 18

Arsenal‘s interest in Ivan Toney has waned. It is unlikely he will join this summer and neither will Alexander Isak, with the club no longer interested at his £120m price [John Cross - The Mirror]

Benjamin Šeško will cost €65m this summer [Sky Sports Germany]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom