• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

4-5-1

sabret00the

Established Member
Ok well it seems some folk are saying it wasn't 4-4-2 with Pires up front but rather 4-5-1 with Pires as the attacking hub in the centre, maybe and though it clarifies the role we wanted for Baptista and the type of midfielder we're looking but, isn't that one hell of a contradiction on what Wenger said after the FA Cup final, the words "one", "off", "will", "never", "be", "seen" and "again" all ring a bell, i'm not an advocate of 4-5-1 since it's not a footballing formation, but it seems it may genuinely be the plan B wenger has in mind for us.

So **** it, i'm a spoilt brat, i'm already over it with a tantrum past me, only problem is though, Song's proven a better central-midfielding option than Pires, even going forward despite liking to sit deep ala Gilberto and yet we've persisted with this converting Pires crap, either way we look at it 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 with Pires in the centre it's a failure, not even up for discussion, a straight failure.

In actual fact, the thought of 4-5-1 is actually growing on me (though i must be adament only as a plan b, i.e. we must atleast try 4-4-2 pretty football first in EVERY game), but i must say looking at our squad, we're up ****'s creek with this one, the only player i feel can do the lone striker role is van Persie and for everything he is, he's not built like a brick **** house so we're gonna need to really give hima run to get him more comfortable with the ball at his feet in the prem (i.e. with the fouling defenders and the pace) and i'm not sure i can see us doing that. can you?

also we'd have to play a moth orthadox full back system and actually cross from the wings (the thought alone hurts me based on our squad), in short, i think for the plan b to work, we can't be so fussy in saying "only a world class signing" i think we have to make the most of what's available, or even not available and dispense the pressure of a cheque book. Or we're gonna have to blood youth like theirs no tomorrow and risk losing one or two old timers by the end of the season who don't like being rotated or dropped for youth, i also think in order for this to work, we're gonna have to be ruthless on the form front, if you're not cutting it, step aside for someone that can do the job now.

kel varnsen

Established Member
you're absolutely right , we definately need a forward and i'm not talking about mediocre players like trezeguet, adebayor or owen. oliveira or cassano are the only world class forwards available right now...

sabret00the

Established Member
kel varnsen said:
you're absolutely right , we definately need a forward and i'm not talking about mediocre players like trezeguet, adebayor or owen. oliveira or cassano are the only world class forwards available right now...
i really don't think we need a forward (and i don't want one for that matter), especially the way our midfield is playing, i more so think we a second type of right winger to play when things ain't right for freddie or when we're playing 4-5-1, i think we need a beastly attacking midfielder, a strong bastard who's good with the ball at his feet (even if he can't run with it for the love of nothing) who can tackle and pass and can be the hub of a 4-5-1 system in central midfield, the link up man to the striker, someone who's always lookign to shoot, the type that ain't technically great but is a glory hunter so will take each and every assist he can get, but is only deployed when we play 4-5-1.

AFCG7

Established Member
Oliveira isnt available.. he's staying at Betis..who are in the CL and probably have a better squad than w do right now!

kel varnsen

Established Member
sounds to me like you're describing either van bommel or ballack.

as for right wingers, cicinho, joaquin or maybe alves could be useful.

ccc

4-5-1 wenger played yesterday is not quite different from 4-4-2, exactly we played 4-4-[red]1[/red]-1, the only difference was that "1" is attacking midfield or shadow striker. A real 451 is an isoformation of 4-3-3 as sabre described. it would take quite a few games for players to adapt this new formation. I doubt if we could afford it.

sabret00the

Established Member
S_McKenzie said:
kel varnsen said:
we definately need a forward and i'm not talking about mediocre players like trezeguet...

trezeguet ! mediocre ? pfff !!! :roll:
i think Trez is a good player, though i also think he's in decline and wouldn't like to see him at Arsenal.

sabret00the

Established Member
GoonerSab said:
We need a stiker, and need one fast!!! 8)
based on what? seriously those are the kinda posts taht i really really really hate, i deem them the worst ever. if i was a mod i'd probably have just deleted it.

qs

Established Member
sabret00the said:
GoonerSab said:
based on what? seriously those are the kinda posts taht i really really really hate, i deem them the worst ever. if i was a mod i'd probably have just deleted it.

Based on not scoring against Chelsea in Stamford bridge when they play at their most defensive. Hardly cause for concern, so we didnt score in one match. I agree the perormance was lack lustre but we weren't missng out on a player, we were missing performances.

sabret00the

Established Member
qs said:
sabret00the said:
GoonerSab said:

Based on not scoring against Chelsea in Stamford bridge when they play at their most defensive. Hardly cause for concern, so we didnt score in one match. I agree the perormance was lack lustre but we weren't missng out on a player, we were missing performances.
we didn't score because their was no service, even with an Owen if he don't get the ball then what? he'll magic one up and plant it into the back of the net?

qs

Established Member
We didnt score because there was no movement off the ball. There were plenty of times Hleb and Fab had the ball coming into the fnal 3rd and there was just no one there. Balls were crossed into the box 3 or 4 times, no one there. I dont want Owen or any other striker but Henry, RVP and Pires did nothing all game. At least if Ljungberg had been there he'd have been making his runs into the box.

sabret00the

Established Member
qs said:
We didnt score because there was no movement off the ball. There were plenty of times Hleb and Fab had the ball coming into the fnal 3rd and there was just no one there. Balls were crossed into the box 3 or 4 times, no one there. I dont want Owen or any other striker but Henry, RVP and Pires did nothing all game. At least if Ljungberg had been there he'd have been making his runs into the box.
what are you on about, RvP was trying and then he went to get the ball himself and then of course their was no one there.

qs

Established Member
RVP played for about 10 minutes after he came on but he was nowhere for the 2nd half.

sabret00the

Established Member
what do you want a striker to do without the ball? sommersaults? would you have been impressed if he danced?

Legend#1

Established Member
RvP made plenty of runs off the ball.. but they never fed him.. Honestly, he kept making runs.. but we just kept passing the ball sideways !

wer

we kept passing side way cause we trying find holes in their defence and our passing isnt fluid enough. van Persie must look for space or create space for others.

sabret00the

Established Member
i disagree, van Persie ran to where he wanted and wanted the ball there? space or not, if he feel's he can do the job from there why not trust in him? that's what he's there for is it not?

Arsenal Quotes

I believe the target of anything in life should be to do it so well that it becomes an art.
When you read some books they are fantastic, the writer touches something in you that you know you would not have brought out of yourself. He makes you discover something interesting in your life.
If you are living like an animal, what is the point of living? What makes daily life interesting is that we try to transform it to something that is close to art. And football is like that.

Arsène Wenger

Latest posts

Top Bottom