• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aaron Ramsey: BianconAaron

Do You Consider Aaron Ramsey An Arsenal Legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Back? The players never really had the power.

My gut instinct is that it will be a disaster and will perpetuate a few clubs at the top of the world game because they will be the ones who can pay the players the big money they want.

BBF

He’s been injured for 8 games this year and rested for the Europa League in the others.

Fitness wise he’s on course to be available for around 30 games this year.

This is the way I see it. We'll never get an adequate replacement or someone who's even better at this stage.

Letting him run down his contract is something you can live with if you already have quality midfielders in the team.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Back? The players never really had the power.

My gut instinct is that it will be a disaster and will perpetuate a few clubs at the top of the world game because they will be the ones who can pay the players the big money they want.

I’ve been thinking the game is transitioning towards a more American style of transfers.

Players are getting paid so much now it’s beneficial for the selling club to just get the wages off the books.

Like Man Utd did with both Zlatan and Rooney where they waived any fee for them.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
The rise of agents has put the interests of clubs and players in direct opposition but unless clubs get together to resist ridiculous wage demands (and that is probably bizarrely against labour laws) the trend will continue. And with the now widely-held tenet that if a player wants to go he has to be allowed to leave it is only a matter of time before a player only has to give, say, a month's notice before walking to a direct rival.

Since huge wage bills are a greater disincentive to clubs with inferior economic means than transfer fees it follows this will entrench a few clubs, occasionally supplemented by the latest oligarch on the blocks team, in perpetual domination. Which will lead to a proper Champions League with the big boys playing each other several teams a season and leave national leagues for the second tier of teamns.

A few years ago our place at that elite table was guaranteed. Now.......

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

I’ve been thinking the game is transitioning towards a more American style of transfers.

Players are getting paid so much now it’s beneficial for the selling club to just get the wages off the books.

Like Man Utd did with both Zlatan and Rooney where they waived any fee for them.
True, and players are happy to let their contracts run down as well, because they know they will get a massive wage when they sign on a free for another club, and their scummy agents as well of course.

Feels like some regulation wouldn't be so bad, but then again the tv deals and sponsorships keep increasing, because the fans are willing to pay for it. So, what can be done really?

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

True, and players are happy to let their contracts run down as well, because they know they will get a massive wage when they sign on a free for another club, and their scummy agents as well of course.

Feels like some regulation wouldn't be so bad, but then again the tv deals and sponsorships keep increasing, because the fans are willing to pay for it. So, what can be done really?

The clubs will do something eventually, FIFA will introduce some bullsh*t law. They’re never gonna give players total control.

Can see some sort of franchise tagging system getting put in or mandatory contract extensions.

Longy

The deep state society along with heavy fisted unions are shifting the employee/employer power.
Football is no different.
Players will hold all power soon enough.

Small elite league amongst Europe with a few more will be the goal.
Players will be paid even more but tighter contracts"
The rest of the leagues to fend for themselves.

Ramsey not worth more than 150k/week.h. Tier 3 player.
Nice bloke thoug

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes

Lets hope not!

Draft is redonk

In a perfect world fifafairplay gets enhanced and enforced more thou

Id be behind a slight increase in HG quotas to

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
There are many ways to have a good midfield.

Would like to echo this.

A lot reference the Madrid midfield model as if it's the only way to construct a successful midfield.

Make no mistake, Kroos/Modric/Casemiro is one of the best midfield trios around ATM, and the recent success Madrid have had is testament to that. But like Rex said, there are many ways to have a good midfield without necessarily having the same axis as Real Madrid.

What Rambo offers is rare, it's a huge weapon and we'd do well to utilise it as effectively as we can. When you look around, there aren't many midfielders who can offer you a genuine goal threat from deep. We have that in Ramsey and then some.

His engine is honestly something else. 93rd minute and he's bombing beyond the last man to break through 1 v 1. But it's not just his movement and goal scoring, he's a very silky player who can play one touch no problem. For me, the weakest area of his game can be his first touch, but I've noticed when he gets on a run of games his touch is as sharp as anybody's.

^ This clip summarises a lot for me. It's not just the goalscoring and box to box play. He's a very elegant and creative player. He links with Özil wonderfully. Whether or not he should be captain is another argument, but we definitely need to keep him here. On form he's one of the best central midfielders in Europe.

OSBK

Established Member
Would like to echo this.

A lot reference the Madrid midfield model as if it's the only way to construct a successful midfield.

Make no mistake, Kroos/Modric/Casemiro is one of the best midfield trios around ATM, and the recent success Madrid have had is testament to that. But like Rex said, there are many ways to have a good midfield without necessarily having the same axis as Real Madrid.

What Rambo offers is rare, it's a huge weapon and we'd do well to utilise it as effectively as we can. When you look around, there aren't many midfielders who can offer you a genuine goal threat from deep. We have that in Ramsey and then some.

His engine is honestly something else. 93rd minute and he's bombing beyond the last man to break through 1 v 1. But it's not just his movement and goal scoring, he's a very silky player who can play one touch no problem. For me, the weakest area of his game can be his first touch, but I've noticed when he gets on a run of games his touch is as sharp as anybody's.

^ This clip summarises a lot for me. It's not just the goalscoring and box to box play. He's a very elegant and creative player. He links with Özil wonderfully. Whether or not he should be captain is another argument, but we definitely need to keep him here. On form he's one of the best central midfielders in Europe.

Mate I agree with what you are saying but the ramsey you are talking about was here for 1 season. The question we have to ask is will ramsey be that player next season and for a full season? Because thats what it will take to get us back competeting, if he is not then we will be miles off again.

Saying we need him, maybe we do but if we flung 300k a week at a top cam in europe they would come. People saying we cannot attract players, money attracts.

The odd good game doesnt win leagues.

Its a dilemma and a gamble but we have to be looking to compete

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Would like to echo this.

It's just a clip.

Again, nobody is arguing the fact that Ramsey is a talented player.
But what about his consistency? His durability?
On his day he can be a fantastic player. But when he isn't he is an average midfielder that doesn't offer much except his movement and his runs.
It's no coincidence if our midfield has been really bad 75% of the time since Ramsey is our main CM.
It's no coincidence if we're having games where we don't have a single shot on target.
Our midfield simply doesn't work.
He simply doesn't have the qualities to lead the midfield in a top team.
He can not dictate the game weeks in and weeks out. That's his main weakness.

Ramsey is a good player. But he has huge flaws in his game as a CM. And he's too injury prone and inconsistent. That's why I think we can't build an effective midfield around him.

IMO he'd be terrific as a 3rd option in a 3 man midfield alongside 2 great midfielders who can dictate the game.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
He's been out because of the cut he received, and rightly so, but you could see that the midfield lacks punch in the final third, as well as resilience, initiative and movement from deep when he's not playing.

Then you also rest Özil who pulls the strings in the attacking game with his vision, flair and footballing IQ, and the whole teams drops off a couple of levels. None of either Ramsey and Özil on the pitch is a disaster for Arsenal. These two are clearly running the team right now, and if they're out, it all becomes a bit detached and incoherent.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
He's been out because of the cut he received, and rightly so, but you could see that the midfield lacks punch in the final third, as well as resilience, initiative and movement from deep when he's not playing.

Then you also rest Özil who pulls the strings in the attacking game with his vision, flair and footballing IQ, and the whole teams drops off a couple of levels. None of either Ramsey and Özil on the pitch is a disaster for Arsenal. These two are clearly running the team right now, and if they're out, it all becomes a bit detached and incoherent.

We've lost a lot of away games with both of them in the team too though.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
We've lost a lot of away games with both of them in the team too though.

Of the 9 away losses, Ramsey has started only 4. Out of the last 5 against Newcastle, Brighton, Tottenham, Swansea and Bournemouth, he only started against Swansea and came on as a substitute against Bournemouth.

I think at least regarding Ramsey it does show that he brings something to the team, not only in the form of goals, but with his allround movement and drive to make something happen. Xhaka and Elneny are far too contemplative in these regards.

Özil has started 6/9 total. With him the stat is certainly less convincing. Show a bit that he has the tendency to either run or fluff games, which has been a main crtiticsm of him for years now. Still, with him on the pitch there's at least the chance he might own the game, whereas without him that doesn't happen too often.

Going further into the away games stats:
Both Özil and Ramsey featured together in 4 of 9 losses.
Both have featured 2 of 3 away draws and 2 of 3 away wins, but only once together in each instance.
All in all, Rasmey has played only 8/15 away games, Özil 10/15.
Out of that horrible row of the last 5 away losses, Ramsey played only 1, expect being fit for all but the last, and Özil 3.

All in all, it's not super clear, but it does at least suggest that the results are slighlty better with one of them on the pitch and that if you don't or can't play your best players you won't get results, especially away from home.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I started clapping myself... until I realised that I was Sunderland's manager.

Peter Reid after Bergkamp's goal against Sunderland.

Latest posts

Top Bottom