• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Aaron Ramsey - on the right track

Status
Not open for further replies.

outlaw_member

Established Member
Re: Aaron Ramsey - invest more time or cut losses?

mavelous said:
he just infuriates me to no end. always in arteta's way. one dinosaur that can't dribble is enough, why have two of them dwelling on the ball, showing no movement, slowing everything down, and getting in each other's way?

needs to go on loan and play as a winger for a long-time, until he learns to release the ball on time or dribble slower without stumbling on it or running into other people, including his teammates.

It amuses me when Ramsey is brought on as a wide forward, and his first involvement is to run right next to Arteta and collect the ball. I mean, we already have 3 central midfielder's to advance the play, but Ramsey seems oblivious to this. Although, it's clearly Wenger's fault for utilising him in a wide position.

say yes

forum master baiter

To be fair he was arguably our MotM, in our best performance of the season, at Man City playing as a wide forward. Yes there have been more poor performances than good but that's true for our team as a whole.

Glovegun

Established Member

outlaw_member said:
On an individual level, young players such as Ramsey need to be judged on their raw skills. What obvious qualities do they have that can serve as a basis around which to build a career. Obviously, you can't expect them to be consistent performers just yet, and there will be apparent flaws in their game. However, which clear strengths does the individual have to make it a worthwhile investment for the club.

Agreed. You're looking for the flashes that hint at a brighter future. The consistency will come with time. People forget how young Ramsey still is.

He is incredibly frustrating, mainly because he dwells on the ball too long and never seems to notice people coming to take it off him, but he's got some very decent attributes - the main one of which is a terrific mentality. The bloke never, ever hides on the pitch and is always looking to take responsibility, which is a good quality to have. Beyond that, he's got a good engine, an eye for a through ball, times his runs into the box fairly well and has an interesting way of finding space in the area.

If Ramsey can work on his finishing and simplify his game he could be a real player for us, I've always felt it.

scytheavatar

Established Member

Glovegun said:
outlaw_member said:
On an individual level, young players such as Ramsey need to be judged on their raw skills. What obvious qualities do they have that can serve as a basis around which to build a career. Obviously, you can't expect them to be consistent performers just yet, and there will be apparent flaws in their game. However, which clear strengths does the individual have to make it a worthwhile investment for the club.

Agreed. You're looking for the flashes that hint at a brighter future. The consistency will come with time. People forget how young Ramsey still is.

He is incredibly frustrating, mainly because he dwells on the ball too long and never seems to notice people coming to take it off him, but he's got some very decent attributes - the main one of which is a terrific mentality. The bloke never, ever hides on the pitch and is always looking to take responsibility, which is a good quality to have. Beyond that, he's got a good engine, an eye for a through ball, times his runs into the box fairly well and has an interesting way of finding space in the area.

If Ramsey can work on his finishing and simplify his game he could be a real player for us, I've always felt it.

The problem for Ramsey now is that he's failing to even show those flashes of brilliance, when was the last time you could think of a good game from him even as a substitute?

evoh_1

Established Member

To be fair this is really a case where wenger sees alot more of him then we will ever see and he thinks he can develop him, ramsey has been signed up and like it or not he will be here for a while so may as well get behind the lad i suppose. at least unlike diaby he is actually available to play matches.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

evoh_1 said:
To be fair this is really a case where wenger sees alot more of him then we will ever see and he thinks he can develop him, ramsey has been signed up and like it or not he will be here for a while so may as well get behind the lad i suppose. at least unlike diaby he is actually available to play matches.

True this, let's just wait and see.
But I think what we all want to see is Ramsey being eased off instead of always playing either as starter or as subs.

say yes said:
To be fair he was arguably our MotM, in our best performance of the season, at Man City playing as a wide forward. Yes there have been more poor performances than good but that's true for our team as a whole.

Man city away wasn't our best performance. It was an even game and we could've lost had Aguero buried Koscielny's pass. And in Manc City game, Mertesacker was MoTM followed by Jenkinson, not Ramsey.

Liverpool away was our best game this season.

say yes

forum master baiter

Rain Dance said:
say yes said:

Man city away wasn't our best performance. It was an even game and we could've lost had Aguero buried Koscielny's pass. And in Manc City game, Mertesacker was MoTM followed by Jenkinson, not Ramsey.

Liverpool away was our best game this season.

You can do those 'what ifs' for anything. Liverpool away was a great performance but it could have been different if sterling hadn't hit the post or if Liverpool had gotten either of their two penalty shouts etc.
Man City was not an even game, we were much the better side and 'if' (!) Gervinho wasn't a donkey we would have gained a deserved victory.

Given the calibre of the opposition that performance pleased me than those in the wins over the likes of Liverpool, Southampton and Reading. Just personal preference though so can understand why you might plump for Liverpool.

Also notice the 'arguably'. I'm not sure who I'd have as MotM vs City but Ramsey was certainly up there in contention.

Semantics aside; the point remains that in one of our best performances of the season, Ramsey excelled in the wing-forward position. It's not simply a case of him being awful there.

Rain Dance

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

say yes said:
Semantics aside; the point remains that in one of our best performances of the season, Ramsey excelled in the wing-forward position. It's not simply a case of him being awful there.

Yes yes, cause one game means everything..

ArsenalinCH

and every performance since that he's been a wing forward he's been horrible

Kwaku

Ramsey is not a wide forward though so criticising him for not playing well there is silly and Wenger's fault. He must be the only guy in the world that thinks Ramsey plays good there. He played good against City, but that is also because City are a very narrow team with most of their play coming through the middle. His best work against City came in central areas, not out wide.

darkgunner

I say he's got around 2-3 seasons to prove himself as the real deal, before he's finished here.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

All Ramsey needs is this:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20764183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20764183</a>

Kwaku

The_Playmaker said:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20764183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20764183</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Frank is spot on.

Ramsey needs to stop dwelling on the ball.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

Never see him being top class but he could become our Fletcher, Cleverley, Barry, Mikel, Ambrosini, <insert average player who performs> nothing wrong with a consistently average to decent player who works hard.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

People need to give the player a break and get off his back. He clearly is a confidence player lacking in any confidence and when that is gone it is such a hard thing to get back. Along with the crowd getting off his back he also needs to start doing the basic things right, get the ball pass it, receive it back, pass it repeat and the confidence will hopefully return.

say yes

forum master baiter

Rain Dance said:
say yes said:

Yes yes, cause one game means everything..

?

What are you on :lol:

I've recognised throughout my posts that he's been poor in the RW position far more often than not, I'm just pointing out that Ramsey in the wing-forward position can work and has done in the past.

evoh_1

Established Member

The_Playmaker said:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20764183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20764183</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

His natural position is in the centre of midfield... and I would just love to have a chat with him and tell him to improve his performance by a long way by just simplifying his game," McLintock added.

"I feel he takes too many touches on the ball... if he could only just take a lesson off Paul Scholes of Manchester United.

"When you see the two of them playing the difference between the two is amazing: he [Scholes] has already scanned the field before he gets the ball... he is minimum effort and maximum performance.

"He's trying to over-complicate it, he's running here with the ball, he's checking, he's going the other way, he's checking again.

"He'll decide to sometimes play the ball and go for an overlap but before he gets halfway there the ball has been put into the box and people are out of position then.

Spot on assesment of the issues here, he needs to quicken up his play and do the simple things very well, he has the skills to do that and needs to reign in the mad backheel and the ten touches to find the most elaborate pass or move. Hopefully he is looking at himself and getting the right advice from those around him in getting a move on with this as it will improve him measureably. Even if he isn't world class he can do a job here similar to fletcher at united, not everyone needs to be world class super stars to play a role.

alboots101

Established Member

Breaks my heart to see this fella struggle especially as he really was looking good until Shawcant incident, even in that game he was majestic until...........

alboots101

Established Member

I`m not convinced that Ramsey thinks he`s better than he is but I do concur that some of his play is very frustrating for the reasons your mentioned Cruisio.

This was posted after Cruisio`s post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

You kind of never leave Arsenal. How many comebacks do you make? At one point it will turn out to be a bad move. We all love the first Rocky but I'm not too sure about the last one.

Thierry Henry

Latest posts

Top Bottom