• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Abou Diaby - The Square Peg

General

Established Member
hackajack said:
I'm a fan of Diaby's but though he's had two reasonable games in CM I'm not convinced about his mobility, tackling or discipline for that position - particularly against tougher opposition.

Discipline perhaps but mobility? You didn't notice the way he powered away from Agbonlahor like a 911 on the M25. :D

hackajack

Established Member
Yeah he can put the turbo on the M25 but I was looking for something a bit nippier around town and more MPG (miles per game).

DOUBLE-YOU

patrick42uk said:
DaGunner, one of the reasons I requested the 98 cup final from you was to refresh the memory on a young Vieira and make comparisons to Diaby. What I noticed was that, from a defensive point of view, it was very much a team effort. Vieira to me looked quite passive defensively, certainly more so than he grew to be. Petit and Parlour put a lot of work in. I wonder how that vieira would fare in this team.

I really believe Diaby can improve. Wenger is spot on in saying that in teerms of the natural qualities required, physically and technically, he has nothing to learn. The mental side, that extra edge required for cm, can be developed. I'm even hopeful now that he can build enough confidence in the cm position to be able to play next to Cesc when he returns. W

i understand your point but i don't think you can compare a one off cup final to diaby. (i am a diaby fan dont get me wrong) vieira may not have had the best of games, but he was awesome as our defensive games in many more that season.

nevertheless, i think the point your trying to make is think of diaby in 98 team or vieira in this squad.

patrick42uk

Established Member
DaGunners said:
Parlour really was fantastic in that game.

Do you remember that long hoof by Vieira in the first half? He over hit Anelka by a good bit but Anelka made up about 30 yards on Dabitas in a flash. The pace was scary...

Yeah that was phenomenal pace.

Vieira even then was such a great link between midfield and defence. They could pass the ball to him in any situation and he would protect it and move it on. I feel Diaby has this to his game too.

For me, I see no differences attributes wise between Diaby and Vieira. Diaby reckons he's more offensive but I dont buy this. I reckon if Diaby knuckled hard and really bought into the idea of being a cm, he could make it work. He should watch tapes of the vieira's and makelele of this world, listen to instructions, then get himself into the right frame of mind for the role and his ability will do the rest.

ricky1985

Established Member
It's hard to compare really. Imagine Diaby being transported into Highbury, 1998. The lack of athleticism, speed, tactical awareness and the popularity of a defensive high-line. He'd run a muck. If he can power away from Gabby Agbonlahor in 2008, imagine Nicky Butt, Alan Shearer, Darren Anderton trying to keep up with him in 1998.

Football has changed so much since those days.

DaGunners

Established Member
Hopefully he starts again tomorrow with Denilson. I remember when they dominated the midfield at the Reebok a couple seasons ago...

DaGunners

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
It's hard to compare really. Imagine Diaby being transported into Highbury, 1998. The lack of athleticism, speed, tactical awareness and the popularity of a defensive high-line. He'd run a mock. If he can power away from Gabby Agbonlahor in 2008, imagine Nicky Butt, Alan Shearer, Darren Anderton trying to keep up with him in 1998.

Football has changed so much since those days
Thanks to Arsène. It really pains me to see a lot of Arsenal fans giving him stick...

progman07

Established Member
ricky1985 said:
It's hard to compare really. Imagine Diaby being transported into Highbury, 1998. The lack of athleticism, speed, tactical awareness and the popularity of a defensive high-line. He'd run a muck. If he can power away from Gabby Agbonlahor in 2008, imagine Nicky Butt, Alan Shearer, Darren Anderton trying to keep up with him in 1998.

Football has changed so much since those days.
If you transport Diaby, you should also transport the newest facilities, newest training methods and the newest dopes. The world has changed a lot, there are more fit players. Transport Eboue to the age of Maradona and he would look like a world-beater, with his speed and stamina.

Arsenal Quotes

There is no chance of Sol ever leaving for Arsenal. He is a Spurs fan and there is not a hope in hell of him playing in an Arsenal shirt.

David Buchler, Tottenham Vice-Chairman, 2001

Daily Transfer Updates

Tuesday, May 28

Arsenal have been handed a boost as Sporting Lisbon have lowered their asking price for CB Ousmane Diomande from €80m to €60m [Record]

Sheffield Wednesday are keen on signing 21 year old striker Mika Biereth on loan [The Sheffield Star]

Arsenal hope to command a sizeable fee for Eddie Nketiah this summer [The Athletic]

Arsenal and AC Milan are interested in Monaco midfielder Youssouf Fofana [Gazzetta]

Thomas Partey’s preference is to stay at Arsenal, but no talks have taken place over a new contract with one year left and the club could consider offers this summer [Charles Watts]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom